Why cant vampires cross running water?

shadow moon 2009/06/13 19:32:43
well...
this is why...
someone once gave me a good explanation but i forget it now... anyone got any thoughts?

• Eddie 2009/06/13 19:58:48
    this is why...
    Eddie
    +3
    Because they are not real. And anyone who believes that vampires are real are stupid.

• gastvenom 2013/06/22 15:07:55
    well...
    gastvenom
    +1
    i do believe in vampires and other supernatural beings but some people dont believe in them. everyone has there own beliefs.
  • michelle2877 2009/10/22 01:06:20
    this is why...
    michelle2877
    +2
    from what ive heard, they cannot cross running water because vampires believe that the purity of the water would be able to take away their powers. no wonder they hate holy water so much,

and i personally believe in vampires, werewolves, and other supernatural beings. sometimes people just want to believe in what they know, but id rather believe in what we dont know about.

ANDDD, i would like to say to all you non-believers, that yes-you have a right to your own opinions. but there is a difference between stating your opinion and being plain rude and disrespectful to those who DO believe.
  • shadow ... michell... 2010/01/16 14:56:37 (edited)
    shadow moon
    thank you finally someone who can see past their own nose
  • gastvenom michell... 2013/06/22 15:05:30
    gastvenom
    +2
    you are right i believe in vampires and other supernatural beings but everyone has their own beliefes
  • Ehren 2009/10/21 16:46:34
    this is why...
    Ehren
    +2
    Since it is myth, it cannot be explained. I think most of the defenses for vampire came about because they were convienent and the people afraid of them were poor. Also, many of these were meant to make people feel safe.

Why garlic? Common, easy to grow, and therefore cheap and plentiful.
    Why a wooden stake? Easy to make, common. Also, if you stick one into a corpse it forces out the air in the lungs, making it sound like a sigh or moan, "proof" that the person was actually a vampire.
    Crosses? Common with superstitious masses.

However, some defenses have changed as authors or society changes their views about them.

Sunlight? Happens everyday, a safe period. However, in Bram Stoker's Dracula, the Count could be in sunlight, but was more vulnerable due to human form and much more powerful at night. In Interview with a Vampire, sunlight turned vampires into ash. In Twilight, they appeared to be made of crystal when exposed to the sun but were otherwise unaffected.

You have to remember, vampires(like many mythical creatures) were blamed as the cause of death in unexplained cases, especially involving the young. It was a way to make sense of senseless or unexplainable(at the time) situations.

Throughout history, vampires become what we want them to, like all other creature of ...

Throughout history, vampires become what we want them to, like all other creature of our imagination. They are the embodyment of our desires for power, beauty or eternal life; or our fears about losing our humanity, freewill, our loved ones or even our souls. Therefore, some vampires can cross running water, and some can't, it all depends on the beliefs of the person imagining the vampire. Since there is no was to test any of this, the "rules" can be changed at any time by society or a new story, such as Interview with a Vampire or Twilight.

Hope this helps.
  • miranda Ehren 2010/09/26 06:52:23
    miranda
    +2
    Ugh, I don't think that garlic was because it was cheap and plentiful. I think that it was because vampires had superhuman characteristics. such as enhanced sence of smell. The crosses and other religious things was because vampires where considered evil. some people think that they came from demons, fallen angels, ext. As for the wooden stake some places had a particular type of wood that had to be used, though these varied from place to place.
  • Dan 2009/06/16 22:12:12
    this is why...
    Dan
    Water is real.
    Vampires are NOT real (except for the geeks who drink blood and ignorantly assume that, somehow, makes them supernatural).
    Since nothing unreal exists, vampires couldn't come into contact with something that IS real (like water).
    I'm sure that transformers and pokemons don't like water either.
  • shadow ... Dan 2009/06/17 00:20:59
    shadow moon
    i'm sorry but i am sort of studying the stories of vampires and you saying they arnt real really dosn't help... i know they arn't real... i know Cinderella isn't either... i just want to know the stories...
  • zack 2009/06/14 02:54:37
    well...
    zack
    they can
  • well...
    R.P. Bliss.::ρнαɛт::.►Ѳиɛ Ħιт Яαɢɛ Ǫʋιт◄
    +1
    From what I was told, it was becaus typically, let's say in Romania or some other typical European country, it was common to find Churchs across rivers as a symbol of "crossing across rivers of doubt to get to The Truth". Vampires, being represented as evil and creatures of the night, will typically assume there is a haven of God across a river.
    That's what I was told at least.
  • well...
    Lady Jules ♥♥ in Lestat I trust ♥♥
    From what I understand it just kind of makes them uncomfortable..but there's no real fear. I think most of that came from the older legends where vampires were afraid to get on ships to go to different countries because they had a fear of running out of food or being found out.
  • Denny 2009/06/13 20:11:41
    well...
    Denny
    Shiny shoes are slippery as hell.
  • Eddie 2009/06/13 19:58:48
    this is why...
    Eddie
    +3
  • shadow ... Eddie 2009/06/13 20:03:22 (edited)
    shadow moon
    what ever... dont answer vampire question if you don't beleive in them... just sit back and fall back into that useless cage you call a mind... i mean honestly can enyone think outside the box? oh and you're the fool because guess what? those who do think outside the box are the ones who invent and experiment... fool...
  • Eddie shadow ... 2009/06/13 20:07:15
    Eddie
    +2
    There's thinking outside the box and then there's being delusional. Believing in vampires is delusional. They are not the same.
  • shadow ... Eddie 2009/06/13 20:20:21
    shadow moon
    +1
    ya and you thinking you are actualy sane enough to be giving out edvise to "the delusional" is just reminding me how insane you are...and most everyone who is later thought a genius is fist thought insane... so once agein i am going to ask you to shut up...
  • Eddie shadow ... 2009/06/13 20:22:01
    Eddie
    +3
    I don't need to shut up. This is an opinion site, and I am giving my opinion. If you don't like it too damn bad. Don't ask questions if you don't want negative opinions.
  • shadow ... Eddie 2009/06/13 20:23:43
    shadow moon
    i wouldn't mind negative opinions if they were at all reliant to the d*** question!!!
  • ©TransA... Eddie 2009/06/16 22:06:52
  • Elvalyn Eddie 2010/01/15 18:59:59
    Elvalyn
    +3
    [...]she asked a question, not saying "OH HAY! Vampires are reeeaaal, where do I find one?" ... let people find out about the Myths.. also..

REMEMBER FREDDY KRUEGAR OR HE WILL COME BACK AND GET US ALL!!! O_O
  • Eddie Elvalyn 2010/01/15 22:59:37
  • Eddie Elvalyn 2010/01/15 23:02:46
    Eddie
    Oh...and here's a free English lesson. You're = you are. If you want to insult someone, at least learn to do it without showing your stupidity.
  • Wilted shadow ... 2009/06/14 19:24:02
    Wilted
    Um, what? I'm answering a vampire-related question because folklore and mythical monsters interest me. I'm not answering it on behalf of my vampire friend.
  • JJ Eddie 2009/06/14 03:19:35
    JJ
    +1
    im not STUPID,persay....i just live in my own little world with unicorns, ghosts, vampires, and werewolves......you can call me stupid if ya want tho...my brother does all the time
  • Eddie JJ 2009/06/14 03:23:38
    Eddie
    I'm in an extra good mood today, so you get a pass. I won't insult you.
  • JJ Eddie 2009/06/14 03:28:00
    JJ
    +1
    yay me! its just i grew up thinking the phoenix is real (thank you Harry Potter)...so i became very interested in mythology
  • www.cha... Eddie 2012/12/24 16:10:12
  • shadow ... JJ 2009/06/14 12:45:31
    shadow moon
    HAY I LIVE THERE TOO!!! what street do you live on... i live in an apartment down town in the room marked patient 542...
  • JJ shadow ... 2009/06/14 20:31:26
  • Nagisac... Eddie 2011/12/09 22:38:47
    Nagisachaaaan
    +2
    nooo you are stupid,
    everybody knows vampires are fake but let them have their fantasies about it.
    that's MY opininion :p
  • ErinGoBragh87 2009/06/13 19:51:29
    this is why...
    ErinGoBragh87
    +2
    its because vampires are lame
  • shadow ... ErinGoB... 2009/06/13 20:01:44
    shadow moon
    shut up...
  • ErinGoB... shadow ... 2009/06/13 20:03:48
  • shadow ... ErinGoB... 2009/06/13 20:21:23
    shadow moon
    i personally am a believer in vampires... that may be the reason i asked a vampire question... duh...
  • ErinGoB... shadow ... 2009/06/13 20:22:36
    ErinGoBragh87
    +1
    ok but what was the point in telling me to shut up, just because i don't like vampires doesn't mean u should start shit
  • shadow ... ErinGoB... 2009/06/13 20:26:44
    shadow moon
    +1
    i am just getting alot of unhelpful "i hate vampires they arn't real" comments... i am sorry... i was just frustrated that i put up the question to get info and people now are just saying stupid things... i wanted the history of vampires and these people are giving me jokes... i'm sorry for taking it out on you though...
  • ErinGoB... shadow ... 2009/06/13 20:29:42
    ErinGoBragh87
    well if go on google and type history of vampires i think they have a few sites about them
  • shadow ... ErinGoB... 2009/06/13 20:38:13
    shadow moon
    +1
    i know but that would only get me a million and three different crap results in amongst only afew good cites... oh well i might do that eny way... i am one bad comment away from closing the question...
  • Wilted 2009/06/13 19:50:02 (edited)
    well...
    Wilted
    To get to the other side!

Vampires can cross running water.... They just find it difficult.

I think it might have been because of the thought that those who had committed suicide would come back as vampires... Perhaps that would remind the vampires of their drowning? I think the two are probably unrelated, however.
    If a vampire couldn't cross running water, how could they walk around a city?
  • Mel 2009/06/13 19:40:02
    this is why...
    Mel
    +1
    Because vampires don't exsist in the real world, they only seem that way in the fictional world.

2014/12/21 23:01:03