Who's the Biggest Jerk in Major League Baseball?

The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche 2010/01/13 07:37:51
Many players such as Jim Thome, Mike Sweeney, Curtis Granderson, Joe Mauer and Derek Jeter are known not only for their talent, but their offseason work and kindness to others. While those players are one in a million, there are plenty of jerks out there. Here are a list of mine and feel free to tell me if i missed any.

Manny Ramirez kindness players plenty jerks list feel free missed manny ramirez
Manny being Manny. It's been a common saying in MLB and to tell you the truth it;s kind of getting old. The Boston Red Sox tried trading him for yeard but were always reluctant to because a player with his talent could come to haunt him them in the past. Finally Manny's rants and refusals to play finally got him traded to the LA Dodgers (he even dared the organization to trade him). Since then he's been a diva and fan favorite in LA but still a controversial figure ever since his positive steroid test. Manny may be great, but he's nothing but a cocky a-hole.

John Rocker controversial figure positive steroid test manny cocky a-hole john rocker
Typical white-trash racist bigot. The hard throwing closer of the Atlanta Braves was known for his notorious opinion of New York City, the best city in the world. He was always known for making racist, homophobic and sexist remarks to the people in New York and minorities and general. Believers in karma look into John Rocker's story. A once dominant closer is now washed up and lost effectiveness since he made the remarks. Serves the loser right.

Scott Boras dominant closer washed lost effectiveness remarks serves loser scott boras
How many teams has this guy ripped off? Barry Zito, Dice-K, Adruw Jones, the list goes on and on. Many organizations such as the White Sox and Yankees are enraged with this tough negotiating agent. Who doesn't remember the whole A-Rod opt out controversey. I know the agent works for the player but you can't deny that Scott Boras shares some of the blame, if not most of it. He demands big money for players who don't deserve it, a desperate team gives in and they are a huge bust. Boras was recently fired by A-Rod, Kenny Rogers, and Jeremy Guthrie due to his greedy harsh nature. Maybe you need a new strategy Scott.

Gary Sheffield rogers jeremy guthrie greedy harsh nature strategy scott gary sheffield
How can someone with as high as a profile as Sheff play for 8 different teams in his career? Throughout a 16 year Hall of Fame calliber career Sheff played for the Milwaukee Brewers, San Diego Padres, Florida Marlins, Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta Braves, New York Yankees, Detroit Tigers, and the New York Mets. Not only is Gary known for his towering homeruns and his odd batting stance, he's also known as a foul-mouthed, ill- tempered wise talking street thug. Although i thought Sheff played very well in his time in New York, he did not seem like a loyal Yankee. When they traded him in the 2006 offseason he warned the Yankees that he would take action, and later accused then Manager Joe Torre to be prejudice against African Americans. He is also known for a brawl against Fausto Carmona and threatened Victor Martinez after recieving a suspension claiming that he would be "penalized by him as well". Sheffield was always a great outfielder, but his loud mouth is the real reason why he's been the most successful "journeyman" in baseball.

Roger Clemens outfielder loud mouth real reason successful journeyman baseball roger clemens
Typical hothead. From throwing at all-star players such as Alex Rodriguez, Mike Piazza, Barry Bonds, and Albert Pujols, to his short patience and complaints about his team clubhouse you can't stand to hate the guy. Although a Yankee fan i never was a fan of Clemens. I was very excited to see that they got him in 1999, but when i realized the jerk he really is i was less excited. He never stayed to cheer on his teammates on games he wasn't pitching, he didn't have to make roadtrips on the ones he wasn't starting in and even complained once about carrying his own luggage. Just because he was Roger Clemens people did not have a problem with his selfishness. And Rocket, there are other ways to pitch around great hitters other than beaning them in the head with your 98 MPH fastball. And was the bat incident very necessary, move on and accept the fact that Mike Piazza has hostile feelings against you.

Albert Belle fastball bat incident accept mike piazza hostile feelings albert belle
If you look up nutjob in the dictionary, a picture of Albert Belle will pop up. Foul mouthed and ill tempered to the media and hostile to his own teammates there was no question that Belle had serious anger issues. He knocked down Fernando Vina blocking his basepaths and once grabbed teammate Jason Grimsley and literally sent him through the cieling. He was not only known for his violent temper but his hostility towards the media and the off beat comments he made to them. A former Cleveland Indian's manager claimed he would always have violent outbursts after games and ruined the team dinners. He wasn't only a dangerous hitter to pitch to, but he wasn't a very pleasant person to be around with either.

Barry Bonds ruined team dinners dangerous hitter pitch pleasant person barry bonds
The Jerks of all Jerks. Also known for his hostility towards the media and sportswriters, he also lies through his teeth just to protect his image. He lied through a grand jury about his steroid use and changed his story several times. Teammates and fans also complained about his personality and rudeness to other people. Hey Barry, roid rage getting to you?

Alex Rodriguez complained personality rudeness people hey barry roid rage alex rodriguez
Yes, he deserves to be on this list too I guess. Although I don't think he's rude to teammates, fans or the media and he does not have an explosive temper, he's extremely cocky and self-centered. He cheated on his wife several of times and always wants to be center of attention. He gets booed wherever he goes, even by his home fans on occassion. However he does do a lot of charity work, and i have seen him signing autographs to children even after games.

Reggie Jackson fans occassion charity work signing autographs children games reggie jackson
Yeah Mr. October. Although people don't realize the jerk he really was. Since he got there, the team chemistry was ruined. Thurman Munson immediatly disliked him, Billy Martin despised him and he and "The Boss" would often bicker. He would refuse to run and do drills with the team during spring training instead worrying more about his hitting. One time he refused to shake hands with his teammates after hitting a homerun. Yeah Reggie was great in the clutch, but I never heard of somebody as self centered as him in that era.

Those are my guys. Which one is the biggest jerk to you or is there someone else, feel free to answer.

• danjac1263 Superman 2011/06/24 03:06:23 (edited)
    danjac1263
    My hatred of the Cardinals is not a bias, it was a learned behavior from being around there excuse making ignorant fans who like to prop themselves as being such awesome baseball fans. Most of my life i knew the Cardinals roster, and other things about the team more than these genius so called fans ever did. Im very consistant, the AL is superior, particularly the East, and the NL besides Philly is very weak and has been for a time. Larussa is way overrated, and many of your stooge Cardinal loving fans even agree with that, Someone must have slipped those fools some truth serum.
  • danjac1263 Superman 2011/06/13 22:31:02
    danjac1263
    The Cardinals are an ok team in a crap division. Nothing more, nothing less.In the AL East they would be lucky to stay ahead of Toronto.
  • The Agi... Superman 2011/06/15 06:45:59
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    managers get too much credit anyway u can get a complete clueless idiot running the team but if they have very talented players they'll win I mean don't you remember "clueless joe" when torre got hired and now hes a new york legend he was never a good manager before that the yankees were a very good team in his era.... and lou piniella who is considered a great manager pretty much resigned as the devil rays manager because they were so terrible managers get too much credit then they deserve i think and as far as larussa being the best active manager what about ron gardenhire, mike scioscia, terry francona, and dusty baker they deserve some consideration
  • Superman The Agi... 2011/06/15 14:22:33
    Superman
    Actually Torre was a pretty good manager with the Cardinals. If you look at the team he was given here versus where they finished he actually did good work. And for a Yankees fan you should also realize that his best work was done with a good but not superstar team. He won four world titles built around good players like Bernie Williams and Paul O'Neill and Scott Brosius while the team was bringing up young and comers like Jeter and Rivera and Pettitte. Those were good solid teams. Where the Yankees started to fail and where Torre had a tough time is when they went out in the 2000s and signed the most expensive superstar each offseason. That clash of egos killed the team atmosphere. But in the late 90s Torre did amazing work.

Baseball managers aren't as important as football head coaches, thats for sure. But I'd say given the aspects of the game a baseball manager is more important that a hockey or basketball coach.

I do agree that Piniella around the end was overrated. And really around the end Torre was too, but i maintain that Torres strong suit wasn't managing superstars.

I think Gardenhire is a great manager. I think he's in the same position as Tony, popular midmarket team thats only going to spend so much compared to the big cities. Somehow he makes it work consis...

I think Gardenhire is a great manager. I think he's in the same position as Tony, popular midmarket team thats only going to spend so much compared to the big cities. Somehow he makes it work consistently, though. The Twins, minus this season, are always seemingly in it. They haven't broken through though and even made it to the series. Scioscia is on the list. They've won one. They're always in it. The do, however, have an owner willing to spend (that my number one pick for a landing spot if Pujols leaves btw). But he's definitely a guy I'd like. Francona has two. He's in the top for sure. But he's got the worst of the "great player syndrome". The only team that our spends the Red Sox are the Yankees. Boston always has the best toys. So that sort of undermines Francona when it comes to his two WS. However, winning a WS is still hard and he's the first guy to do it in Boston in how long? I would disagree that you could put a monkey in charge of that team and still win. Dustys one of the guys I think is overrated. Didn't do much with the Cubs. Flamed out last year with the Reds. Only guided the team with the best hitter of a generation to one WS and lost it to the Angels. Dustys fine, but I wouldn't near have him at the top.

The guy of modern managers I'd put up to rival TLR just retired, Bobby Cox. They only won one Series, but that guy did amazing things with the Braves.
  • danjac1263 Superman 2011/06/15 17:52:04
    danjac1263
    And I bet the cardinals payroll is alot higher than the twins on average.
  • Superman danjac1263 2011/06/15 18:10:47
    Superman
    Its higher, but not by much. The Cardinals don't look to go over 100 million each season often coming in at the mid 90s. The Twins have ranged from I think the lowest in the 50s to the 80s.

All of that is much different than your vaunted AL East where the Yankees are well over 200 million and the Sox are a little under that. So compared to Yankees and Sox managers TLR is Einstein on the ballfield.
  • The Agi... danjac1263 2011/06/15 06:41:44
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    even if pujols does that it cant be as dramatic as papi's bat flip... that's something that really annoyed me
  • danjac1263 The Agi... 2011/06/15 17:52:35
    danjac1263
    Pujols does do that, and he trots on ground balls.
  • The Agi... danjac1263 2011/06/15 06:39:48
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    forgot about everett... bobby bonilla wasnt too pleasant either
  • lydiuhh<3 2010/01/14 03:21:17
    lydiuhh<3
    AJ PIERZYNZKi.
  • The Agi... lydiuhh<3 2010/01/14 03:27:28
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    yeah i left him out he's a jerk i remember the michael barrett fight barrett kicked his ass
  • the Chief 2010/01/13 18:40:12
    the Chief
    and I say anyone that doesn't believe that Thurman (THE Captain) shouldn't be in the HOF is also a BIG JERK.

While I am at it, has anyone recently compared the lifetime stats of Kirby Puckett to those of Donnie Baseball? Amazingly close and the only real difference........team victories in the World Series.
  • The Agi... the Chief 2010/01/13 18:46:58
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    yeah thurman was never a pleasant person either, but he was a team player not a primmadonna individual like reggie was
  • wolf sloan 2010/01/13 14:28:52
    wolf sloan
    They are all worthy of the title "Biggest Jerk". But Ty Cobb and Bowie Kuhn would get my split vote.
  • ken 2010/01/13 11:20:12
    ken
    +1
    He's doesn't play anymore but Jose Canseco has to be the biggest jerk in baseball.
    play jose canseco jerk baseball
  • The Agi... ken 2010/01/13 17:38:36
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    yeah i forgot about him Canseco's a douche. And how can I forget AJ Pierzynzki nobody likes him either
  • danjac1263 The Agi... 2011/06/07 18:53:34
    danjac1263
    Albert Pujols is also a bit of an ass much of the time.
  • danjac1263 The Agi... 2011/06/07 18:54:05
    danjac1263
    I dont think most give a rats ass about him one way or another.
  • Astro-Boy PHAET 2010/01/13 07:53:54
    Astro-Boy PHAET
    It'd totally be Me.

2014/07/31 01:16:10