Who Will Win the NFC Championship?

Sports 2012/01/20 16:51:40
Be sure to vote on the AFC game, as well!

It's been a long time since San Francisco 49ers fans had something to care about in January, outside of the NFL Draft. After a decade of mediocrity, the Niners find themselves in the NFC Championship Game for the first time since 1997. If the Niners can beat the New York Football Giants, they'll be in the Super Bowl for the first time since they won it all in 1994.

What's incredible about the Niners' run isn't just breaking their playoff drought, but how they have done so with a great defense and consistent quarterback play from Alex Smith. Smith was long thought to be a bust after being drafted number one overall in 2005 by the Niners, only to be hampered by numerous injuries and various offensive coordinators. To his credit, he stuck with the Niners after restructuring his contract and the franchise showed its support as well. Smith rewarded the team with a clutch touchdown past last weekend to defeat the Saints and get to the biggest game for the Niners in a very long time.

The Giants are another team no one expected to come this far, although they arguably should have locked up a playoff spot much earlier than they did. While their play was inconsistent throughout the regular season, the last four weeks have shown fans the potential of this squad. The Giants ended the regular season with two straight wins, bouncing out the New York Jets and Dallas Cowboys from playoff contention, en route to an NFC East Division title.

The team then knocked off the Atlanta Falcons in the Wild Card round and defeated the defending champion Green Bay Packers last week to earn a spot in the NFC Championship Game. Both the Niners and Giants have a ton of momentum. The Niners are the home team, but are considered the underdogs because of their lack of playoff experience. The Giants are battle-tested, with a Super Bowl win as recently as 2008, but have a very young core. Something's got to give.

• Gino™ 2012/01/20 18:51:12 (edited)
    New York Giants
    Gino™
    +6
    G Men Giants
    The article said it...

"Battle-tested"

Eli is no stranger to this type of pressure...

• Jessica 2012/01/24 21:44:38
    New York Giants
    Jessica
    I wish the Saints could've won the game against the 49ers! It was so close.. But I am happy for the Giants who are in the lead..
  • david shiel 2012/01/24 09:08:11
    San Francisco 49ers
    david shiel
    whoops
  • jacktown kid 2012/01/23 16:18:11
    San Francisco 49ers
    jacktown kid
    At home will help the 49ers
  • Keith 2012/01/23 03:46:54
    New York Giants
    Keith
    +1
    But who cares ?
  • Boris D. Keith 2012/01/23 03:55:54
    Boris D.
    +2
    Suck it Harbaugh.

It serves you right for dissing your alma mater about their academics when you were at Stanford. You snooty S.O.B.

I'm not as familiar with your brother, but I'm glad he lost today too, just because he's related to your sorry @$$.

• Keith Boris D. 2012/01/23 04:06:51
    Keith
    +1
    Maybe he was just having flashbacks from his Chicago QB days.
    I like this one better.
  • OneLast... Keith 2012/01/23 15:06:28
    OneLastWord
    +2
    Awesome, a patented PATS a... kicking. Ha.
  • OneLast... Keith 2012/01/23 15:47:16 (edited)
    OneLastWord
    He's an A.. Hole! Now, it's great the G-Men beat his A.. for the NFC championship right in his face and at his house..

He can watch the Super Bowl on TV at maybe the Stanford Sport Center.
  • Keith OneLast... 2012/01/23 15:57:44
    Keith
    He`s good guy, I just love screwing with him.......its a Bears/ Lions rivalry thing !
  • Alex 2012/01/22 20:39:40
    New York Giants
    Alex
  • Boris D. 2012/01/22 19:38:10
    New York Giants
    Boris D.
    +2
    I'm on the Brady Train.

A former U of M QB who is not a total A-hole.

“Michigan is a good school and I got a good education there,” he said, “but the athletic department has ways to get borderline guys in and, when they’re in, they steer them to courses in sports communications. They’re adulated when they’re playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won’t hire them.”

Gee, those are pretty holier-than-thou comments for a drunk driver.

Look, it's no secret that most college football players at most big-time college football programs aren't majoring in electrical engineering or pre-med. That's about as big a revelation as finding out Charlie Weis has high cholesterol. Yes, some of it is the players but a lot of it also has to do with the fact that playing ball is like having a full-time job on top of one's classwork. Is that the way it should be? No. But it is. So double majoring in physics and chem probably won't work for most student-athletes. Thus, I don't understand Harbaugh's point in bashing his school like that.

Furthermore, Jim neglects to mention all the guys at Michigan - and many other big time schools - who somehow managed to juggle spending 40 hours a week playing football but still go on to become successful doctors, lawyers, bus...

I'm on the Brady Train.

Furthermore, Jim neglects to mention all the guys at Michigan - and many other big time schools - who somehow managed to juggle spending 40 hours a week playing football but still go on to become successful doctors, lawyers, business leaders, etc., etc., etc. Is that most college football players? Of course not. Then again, that's not most college students period.

Finally, while Jim Harbaugh was before my time at Michigan, in talking to some acquaintances who were there during his U-M days, I'm told he was pretty "adulated" himself around the A2 campus back then. And, allegedly, he enjoyed that adulation very much. So cut the sanctimonious crap.

Oh, and Jimbo, kiss any chance of coaching at Michigan good-bye. Enjoy Palo Alto.

Sorry, but this story just rubbed me the wrong way.
  • Bob DiN Boris D. 2012/01/23 07:27:19
    Bob DiN
    Looks like a 2007 rematch.
  • OneLast... Boris D. 2012/01/23 15:17:40 (edited)
    OneLastWord
    +1
    Well take heart; he’s not going to the Super Bowl. Ha. F…… great. lol

Worst of all, what he said is old knowledge about big-time football universities.
    The education is there for the footballers that can handle advanced curriculum at any school, if not, then there are always other milder courses for them.

Heres to ya 49er football Preppies
    G Men HaHa
  • BAD DOG 2012/01/22 17:16:53
    San Francisco 49ers
    BAD DOG
  • Boris D. BAD DOG 2012/01/22 19:39:20
    Boris D.
    +2
    More like the 69'ers.
  • BAD DOG Boris D. 2012/01/23 15:31:19
    BAD DOG
    Someone`s having a bad day, roll up your sleeve.

jjjj

Go G Men !
  • OneLast... BAD DOG 2012/01/23 15:37:24 (edited)
    OneLastWord
    +1
    Ha!

Uh, what was that? 20-17 OT My, My.

G men Dog
  • SourDiesel 2012/01/22 09:55:50
    San Francisco 49ers
    SourDiesel
    I'm rooting for the 9er's!
  • Freeranger 2012/01/22 05:23:43
    San Francisco 49ers
    Freeranger
    +2
    Call it a feeling
  • Bob DiN Freeranger 2012/01/23 07:27:56
    Bob DiN
    Bad feeling the Giants won.
  • Moonbeams 2012/01/22 03:40:06
    San Francisco 49ers
    Moonbeams
    +3
    The Giants sent my team packing, and I'm quite the sore-loser. They-must-lose! Jinx, Jinx, Jinx!!

;-)
  • Bob DiN Moonbeams 2012/01/22 08:15:35
    Bob DiN
    Boy you really are a sore loser.
  • Freeranger Moonbeams 2012/01/23 18:36:20
    Freeranger
    We'll see what we can do. Our boys have them in two weeks.
  • sherie 2012/01/22 03:38:13
    New York Giants
    sherie
    +1
    Hoping for SF but think it will be Giants
  • Bob DiN sherie 2012/01/22 08:16:29
    Bob DiN
    The Giants are strong and their defense is now healthy.
  • W Voolzk 2012/01/22 02:59:36
    New York Giants
    W Voolzk
    +1
    A toss up as who is hitting on all cylinders. The Giants can be formidable °.
  • Liberty Blade 2012/01/22 02:59:21
    New York Giants
    Liberty Blade
  • ..::localeye::.. 2012/01/22 02:40:47
    New York Giants
    ..::localeye::..
    +1
    It will be a good game...that's all I know.
  • Dussy 2012/01/22 01:52:30
    New York Giants
    Dussy
    +1
    The Giants have the better passing attack, which will be enough to give them the edge over the 49'ers, even in the rain. Neither team will be able to do much running. Final score: 24-17, Giants. It'll be close all the way, with the outcome finally determined by the last possession of the game.
  • Callaway 2012/01/21 23:01:50
    New York Giants
    Callaway
    +1
    Not really feeling the concrete set up on this pick however Frisco could be hard to beat on a wet track and I'm sure Crazy Jim will have them sky high. This one could either way the Giants defense gives them just a blade of grass more of an advantage that and you have to wonder if Alex Smiths carriage will turn back into a pumpkin at some point.
  • todd 2012/01/21 22:12:51
    San Francisco 49ers
    todd
    +3
    I am just voting for the 49ers
  • scbluesman13 2012/01/21 21:54:18 (edited)
    San Francisco 49ers
    scbluesman13
    +2
    Niners baby!

The niners have already beaten the Giants during the regular season, and their defense is rated higher at points prevented and turnovers forced. If Alex Smith can execute a little better than he did against New Orleans, it should be a decisive victory.
  • Dussy scblues... 2012/01/22 01:54:39
    Dussy
    The Giants are a far better team now than they were in November. Eli has the hot hand. That, and Big Blue's pass rush, will make the difference.
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2012/01/21 21:50:15
    New York Giants
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    +1
    I gotta go with the Giants. They are steamrolling now and look good.
  • Frank 2012/01/21 20:27:29
    New York Giants
    Frank
    +1
    I think its Brady versus Manning in the Super Bowl, two of the best quarterbacks in the business........
  • ronbo 2012/01/21 18:50:48
    San Francisco 49ers
    ronbo
    I got my head handed to me last time I made a football prediction but I,ll go out on a limb and give a nod to San Francisco.
  • Toni-Ann 2012/01/21 16:56:06
    New York Giants
    Toni-Ann
    +1
    NEW YORK GIANTS!!!! GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!! NEW YORK GIANTS BIG BLUE
  • hari 2012/01/21 10:42:29
    New York Giants
    hari
    +1
    My choice and i wish
  • Doug 2012/01/21 10:14:49
    San Francisco 49ers
    Doug
    I am just voting for the 49ers because I would think it would be awesome for them this year and it would be kinda neat to have teams from each end of the country go in for the BIG GAME!!!
  • Kent Harper 2012/01/21 06:43:59
    New York Giants
    Kent Harper
    +1
    I hate both teams, but I'd say the Giants. No way that D-line won't hold back the 9er rushing attack.

2014/11/27 21:57:29