Who was the best "Phantom of the Opera"?

BrownEyedGirl 2007/10/05 22:21:16
Michael Crawford, of the Original Andrew Lloyd Webber stage production
Lon Chaney, the ORIGINAL original
Gerard Butler, from the 2004 stage to movie production
Colm Wilkinson, from Toronto
Claude Raines, from the 40's version

• Mary Gemmato 2013/07/19 13:58:25 (edited)
    Mary Gemmato
    As far as. Vocal ability Michael Crawford has the nod but as far as conveying the passion and pain and understanding that this story is basically a love triangle Gerard Butler wins hands down. I myself would rather have a deformed passionate insane genius than a good looking nobleman any day. The book implies that even though Eric allows Christine to marry Raoul she promised to come back to Eric and be there when he died. And she kept her promise and Raoul did not hate her for it and understood. Now how's that for a great love triangle. Great story and one sees why it's a classic. If it had been written now Eric would not have gotten a chaste kiss on the forehead it would have been a great lip lock or better. The book even states Eric and Raoul were profoundly jealous of each other because they were both crazy about Christine. The movies focus on the horror angle and the musicals slide to the love triangle but tap dance around it. I would love to see a musical that really throw caution to the wind and tells it like it is. The 2004 musical DVD comes the closest to doing that. Gerard Butler makes up in passion for what he lacks in vocal talent so it works.
  • angel 2013/02/27 17:54:45 (edited)
    angel
    Ramin karimloo by a country mile! Ramin and Sierra Borgess are inedible together. A lot of people have been very good in very different ways, Earl Carpenter is amazing Tam Mutu, John Owen Jones, Colm Wilkinson all brilliant, but Ramin gives you goosebumps and him ans Sierra together are draw dropping good, if you've seen the 25th anniversary youll know what i mean.
  • Twilight Hater 2013/01/05 12:56:10
    Twilight Hater
    Ramin Karimloo :D
  • Damián Reséndiz Gutiérez 2013/01/04 00:28:19
    Damián Reséndiz Gutiérez
    The best Phantom is Ramin Karimloo, his interpretation of Erik was the closest one to the book in the musicals history,you'll only understand this once you've read Gaston Leroux's "Le Fantôme de l'Opéra" which is the original book that was published in 1909.
  • tricia 2012/05/21 20:09:35
    tricia
    Ramin Karimloo was fantastic in the 25th aniversary performance at the Royal Albert Hall. He sang wonderfully and his acting was mesmerizing
  • byronna.gaines 2012/05/10 06:07:34 (edited)
    byronna.gaines
    Michael Crawford all the way he's been acting and singing since 1962, before a good share of a lot of these other actors who have played the Phantom were ever even born.
  • Ayrton 2012/03/06 03:39:51
    Ayrton
    Gerard Butler had the attitude, but he didnt look disfigured enough and his singing was mediocre.

Crawford is undoubtedly good, but overrated.
    Col Wilkinson's 'Point of No Return" is incredibly good.

Davis Gaines just blows everyone else out of the water though.
  • Tori 2012/02/18 20:25:37
    Tori
    +2
    Ramin Karimaloo He was seriously amazing at the 25th and diffidently better than Gerard Buttler he was terrible
  • Samantha Farah 2011/08/01 21:51:34
    Samantha Farah
    +1
    Gerard Butler was sexy and scary at the same time his singing was the best and just made the whole movie better
  • nikki 2011/04/25 17:33:30
    nikki
    John Owen Jones or Hugh Panaro.

To be honest I think Michael Crawford is overrated.
  • spcmnspff335 2010/11/28 18:03:42
    spcmnspff335
    Michael Crawford is definitely the best. He is the original, definitive Phantom and most accurate to the book (of which I have read). Gerard Butler has some good looks, but he's not supposed to. He's supposed to be deformed. Michael Crawford has the character perfect. Also, Crawford's voice is just perfect. He has great intensity and tenderness at the correct times. He just sounds like the Phantom. Gerard's voice really needs a lot of training. It just is not very good, especially compared to some of the others who have had quite a bit of training. Emmy Rossum was pretty good (definitely better than Butler), but she's no Sarah Brightman. Just listen to Crawford then Butler. Huge difference! There are many places where Butler makes me as a voice major cringe. I am sad that they chose Gerard Butler for the movie. It could have been so much better with someone else. Like, say, Michael Crawford!
  • Crystal 2009/07/23 06:03:46
    Crystal
    I really like Gerard Butler if I had to choose from Andrew Lloyd Webber's but I recently saw one that was from Dorio Argento that was made in 1998 and I loved that one passed the rest, Julian Sands (Phantom)
  • WickedWisher 2009/07/22 20:04:43
    WickedWisher
    Michael and Gerard both are great, and it's hard to decide between them, cause they both have different styles of singing. Michael seemed to be trying harder to sing from the soul (I have the original soundtrack), whereas Gerard was also powerful and his voice IS good. Also, When I listen to Michael, I get kinda creeped out cause he's so into it (Point of No Return is weird listening to) and Gerard kinda is just like, okay, I'm singing this well, and now I'm done. Michael's voice puts you more into a trace kinda.
  • FullMetal Pangolin 2009/07/04 16:00:22
    Lon Chaney, the ORIGINAL original
    FullMetal Pangolin
    +1
    Lon Chaney seemed to be a much better singer than Gerard Butler. ;-)
  • s9p3f93 2009/05/05 00:13:57
    s9p3f93
    i actually prefer Howard Mcgillin over all of these but gerard is definetly the best out of these
  • windwolf14 2009/03/02 20:24:35
    windwolf14
    he just really did well with the role but i would have loved to see either bandars do it or Philps
  • crinklemynoseandsmile 2008/11/02 20:06:04
    crinklemynoseandsmile
    +1
    Gerard wass pretty creepy when he had his mask torn off at the end of "Past the Point of No Return". Plus, he is a lot sexier and fresher and younger.
    He is drop dead gorgeous. He pulls you in.

So, there's no competition. Gerard Butler all the way!
  • Troma 2008/07/21 19:17:39 (edited)
    Lon Chaney, the ORIGINAL original
    Troma
    Lon Chaney was Better far next to Robert Englund's Second lon chaney lon chaney robert englunds
    AWESOME
    other phantom film i don't care all only Lon Chaney and Robert Englund was best for Phantom

Gerard Butler from 2004 was boring and not scary
  • Brianna 2008/06/11 06:57:41
    Brianna
    +1
    No discussion neccesary. Gerry Butler is AMAZING!!!! I absolutely love his voice.
  • ~Lissy~ 2008/05/21 23:11:04
    ~Lissy~
    +1
    his voice has that amazing gruff edge to it, and I felt more passion and emotion
  • SethWreck 2007/11/19 19:05:45
    SethWreck
    Well, I have only seen two verisions, but i think Gerard Butler did one hell of a job on the movie...
  • magmeister10 2007/10/06 04:35:42
    magmeister10
    He was wonderful.
  • Tiff 2007/10/06 01:17:15
    Lon Chaney, the ORIGINAL original
    Tiff
    he was the scariest
  • BrownEyedGirl 2007/10/05 22:22:50
    BrownEyedGirl
    My opinion, there's no better than Michael. None of the others were bad, just Michael's the best. :)

2014/11/01 05:36:53