Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner on ‘The Bodyguard’ Bond

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/02/18 01:14:42

Whitney Houston's co-star from "The Bodyguard," Kevin Costner, will speak at her funeral this weekend. And that speaks to the special bond the two developed over their blockbuster movie.

The 1992 movie was a hit, and the song "I Will Always Love You," became Houston's signature anthem. The film starred Houston as a megastar threatened by a stalker, with Costner playing a Secret Service agent sent to protect her. The movie struck a note with fans, grossing $400 million worldwide. And the movie soundtrack is the most successful of all time.

A few years back, Costner told "Good Morning America" how the singer came to the role. He recounted that when he saw Houston before the movie, he thought, "She just really has it." He added it was no mystery to him how she ended up in "The Bodyguard." The actor explained, "She was such a true beauty and such a musical instrument. And I really wanted her (for the part)." So much so, he was willing to postpone the movie. He said, "There was a moment in time where it could have maybe been someone else, and I said 'I want to wait for Whitney.' Ultimately, Warner Brothers agreed to wait a year for her. "

Learn the latest about movies >>

Costner also told the backstory of how "I Will Always Love You" came to be the song in the movie. He had planned for it to be "What Becomes of a Broken Heart." But during the year wait, that song was in another movie. Costner liked the Dolly Parton song, and eventually, despite some concerns about "this little country song," Houston sang it a capella. Safe to say that the song was a good decision.

The producers also wondered how an audience would react to a mixed-race relationship. Costner felt strongly this should not be an issue. He said, "This is not race. This was about good, old-fashioned chemistry. … I kissed her once for everybody in America, and I kissed her once for myself." All together now, "awwww."

See showtimes for your favorite movies >>

In a 1993 interview with Entertainment Tonight, Houston confessed she didn't think she was ready for acting, but Costner changed her mind. She said, "He made me feel so comfortable. … He was like whatever you need we will supply for you." One thing he told her not to do: take acting lessons. He told the singer, "We want you and what you bring to the character." Houston added, "I felt more insecure about the pressure to do this film."

Read More: http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/whitney-h...

• lady blue 2012/02/18 02:57:51
    lady blue
    +3
    The Bodyguard was a treasure of a film. Kevin Costner shined as handsomely
    as a prince and Whitney was a gem whose true talent transcended the big screen.

• leigh 2012/03/13 14:33:56
    leigh
    +1
    Like the movie. :)
  • Cantus_bird 2012/02/18 18:59:01 (edited)
    Cantus_bird
    +1
    "The producer also wondered how an audience would react to a mixed-race relationship. Costner felt strongly this should not be an issue. He said, "This is not race. This was about good, old fashioned chemistry ... I kissed her once for everybody in America, and i kissed her once for myself." ....

For exactly the same reason why i decided to buy the DVD to "The Bodyguard". That on screen chemistry between the two and her voice as she sang, "I Will Always Love You" is what made it such a memorable movie for me.
  • mich52 2012/02/18 04:56:23
  • Balladeer-PWCM-POTL 2012/02/18 04:02:06
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    Evidently a bond NOT strong enough to save Whitney from drugs....remember people SHE WAS A DRUG ADDICT
  • Bit of ... Ballade... 2012/03/04 17:16:48
    Bit of A Belly
    +1
    seriously??? No one doubts that she had a drug problem, but what does it matter now that she's gone??? Where's the compassion? Her sins have been paid for with her life, and her vocal and musical legacy will live on. Let's focus on the good she accomplished in her life.
  • Ballade... Bit of ... 2012/03/04 20:38:10 (edited)
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    yeah like allllll that compassion we just recently experience with the death of Andrew Breitbart......compassion I have.....BUT I also have intelligence enough NOT to Beatify (religious word..look it up) someone that squandered their gifts..their opportunities their LIFE for drugs
  • Bit of ... Ballade... 2012/03/11 13:42:51
    Bit of A Belly
    Compassion you have not. You are elevating yourself to a platform above everyone else. You try living a rough life in entertainment and Hollywood and let's see how you handle it. It's no secret that the majority of folks in the entertainment biz do drugs (including your favorite actor, actress, singer, etc). We all pay for our sins when we die, so guess what? Whitney's sins are paid for before God, so why should we as mere, imperfect humans presumptuously still judge her? Choosing to focus on her music rather than her drug problems is humane and compassionate. No one here or anywhere has tried to raise her to a level of sainthood. Maybe you should look up those words and learn the distinct difference.
  • Ballade... Bit of ... 2012/03/11 18:11:54
    Balladeer-PWCM-POTL
    riiighhtt ..I have been watching Whitneypalooza the mags all whitney all the time
  • lady blue 2012/02/18 02:57:51
    lady blue
    +3

• mich52 lady blue 2012/02/18 05:02:14
  • lady blue mich52 2012/02/18 05:11:11 (edited)
    lady blue
    +1
    Thank you for your kind words regarding Whitney. She was a brilliant talent who
    just went down the wrong road and couldn't fully bounce back . A true tragedy.
    She was a gift and it was a truly memorable gem of a movie. God bless her.
    I would like to add you because your kind and gentle compassion shines through.
    Want to be friends ?
  • strawberry 2012/02/18 01:30:44
    strawberry
    +1
    I liked Whitney Houston but the song "I Will Always Love You" is Dolly Parton's song. Dolly Parton also sang "I Will Always Love You" much more emotional, not screaming it out.
  • mich52 strawberry 2012/02/18 05:05:52
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/02/18 01:29:22
    **StarzAbove**
    +3
    I loved the movie and I loved the song.
  • Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm... 2012/02/18 01:26:02
    Barefoot Peace and Love∞ijm♥☮♥∞
    +1
    I'm glad I have the soundtrack..... it's awesome...... :)
  • Reggie☮ 2012/02/18 01:19:13
    Reggie☮
    +1
    They were great together and the sound track was fabulous.

2014/07/31 09:27:38