What's the Best Sci-Fi Movie of All Time?

Film 2012/06/08 19:00:00
In honor of Ridley Scott's upcoming sci-fi feature "Prometheus," CelebTV has put together some of the best and worst sci-fi movies of all time. Some of the movies, like "Terminator 2," are indisputable classics. Others, like "Plan 9 From Outer Space," are so terrible they're great. Check out the clip below for some truly awful and amazing flicks.

There's plenty of bad sci-fi out there, but when it comes to good sci-fi, your options are limited. You could go with an obvious choice, like the original "Star Wars" trilogy or Steven Spielberg's "Jurassic Park" classic; or you could go with something a little more subtle, like Scott's cult favorite "Blade Runner" or "2001: A Space Odyssey." If you don't see your favorite, feel free to write it in. The choice for best sci-fi movie is yours to make!

• shywink 2012/07/15 16:07:21
    Other
    shywink
    The first Terminator. Really suspenseful and scary. He was relentless! But I also loved the Terminator 2.
    term
  • P. Sturm 2012/06/29 11:18:37
    "2001: A Space Odyssey"
    P. Sturm
    I loved the Pan-Am space shuttle.
  • TuringsChild 2012/06/25 16:01:05
    Other
    TuringsChild
    What about ET: The Extraterrestrial?

ET Phone Home?
  • Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA 2012/06/25 14:20:07
    "Star Wars"
    Dogzebra~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Creatures of all varieties, evil monsters, a knock-out princess, heroes, villains, tech no-wizardry. I was in awe when I first saw that battle cruiser fill the cinema screen. Yep, Star Wars.
  • MichaelDillon 2012/06/25 14:09:28
    "2001: A Space Odyssey"
    MichaelDillon
  • Isha Dwesar 2012/06/21 20:28:49
    Other
    Isha Dwesar
    the '09 Star Trek film.
  • LaDiieRedRuM187 2012/06/18 23:53:50
    "The Matrix"
    LaDiieRedRuM187
    Ooh man this is a good question. I'm between The Matrix & Alien. But how dare u Sodahead, not mention PREDATOR!?! Are u kidding me!! That movie was G!!!!!!!
  • tblackb 2012/06/18 22:01:44
    "The Matrix"
    tblackb
    tough list as there are a lot of good choices....
  • Dave 007 2012/06/17 13:56:40
    "Star Wars"
    Dave 007
    But there are a lot of good choices.
  • TomS 2012/06/14 01:22:27
    "2001: A Space Odyssey"
    TomS
    Wouldn't have changed my vote but it would have been cool to see "Close Encounters" on the choice list.
  • jeremy kuhne 2012/06/13 22:38:44 (edited)
    "Terminator 2"
    jeremy kuhne
  • Tim Pickle 2012/06/13 19:43:02
    "Terminator 2"
    Tim Pickle
    I didn't see Star Wars cause I would of picked that but :-/ I can't change my selection...
  • Anne 2012/06/13 14:01:05
    "Blade Runner"
    Anne
    An excellent, profound movie. But Matrix is a close second for it's in-depth plot and amazing effects, and Alien is just awesome. It had the best ending of just about any trilogy ever.
  • sherie 2012/06/13 04:36:00
    Other
    sherie
    +1
    Too many good ones here to choose just one.These were all great...the matrix,star wars....avitar was visually stunning.and I still remember the impact 2001 space Odyssey left on a silent theater.when done well, I love a sci fi flick!
  • Doctor 2012/06/12 22:22:34
    Other
    Doctor
    Tie! Star wars star trek and doctor who
  • writing_fanatic 2012/06/12 19:11:07
    "Star Wars"
    writing_fanatic
    Also, Men in Black. I've never seen any of the other films.
  • scott 2012/06/12 17:15:19
    Other
    scott
    Why wasn't Serenity included on the list? I would put it at the top of the list
  • kdog 2012/06/12 16:25:58
    "Alien"
    kdog
    Because we are celebrating Prometheus, scifi horror should be the subject of this question and Alien is certainly the best one, with runner ups like Event Horizon and Pandorum
  • Anne kdog 2012/06/13 14:06:05
    Anne
    I agree with Alien, but Event Horizon scarred me for life. An intriguing concept, but just too horrifying for me to handle. I would also suggest The Fly, though it nearly made me vomit.
  • norman 2012/06/12 15:10:52
    Other
    norman
    “Aliens” really should have been titled "Marines In Space."

The great thing about the original ("Alien"), was that you never knew what was going to happen next . In "Aliens" it was obvious what was going to happen next. It was little more than the original without the suspense and it merely had more creatures, more guns and more explosions. Plus, "Alien" was one of the first science fiction movies to feature a woman as the ultimate hero

"Blade Runner" was brilliant. The original "Terminator" was very good (best role "Ah-nold" ever had). "Star Wars" was certainly an innovator in special effects for its time but its story line was juvenile and the acting was atrocious.

The best movie Lucas ever made was "THX 1138." It was also one of the great science fiction movies of all time.

"The Fifth Element" was a great ride, filled with lots of cool stuff and funny.

"Serenity" (and it's TV counterpart, "Firefly") was unique in making the viewer actually love the characters. "Mal" was the best damned spaceship captain ever.

"2001: A Space Odyssey" was cerebral, detailed, intricate and brilliant but it really needed to be seen on the big screen to be appreciated.

"Jurassic Park" had the best dinosaurs of any movie I've ever seen but it had no storyline, no suspense and got boring i...

"Jurassic Park" had the best dinosaurs of any movie I've ever seen but it had no storyline, no suspense and got boring in a very short time. The book was no better.

"The Matrix" was good for the first 1/2 hour, the rest was just another "shoot 'em up."

"Avatar" pretty much sucked

"Plan 9 From Outer Space" was too stupid to even be considered a movie, much less a "good" movie.

Nobody mentioned "Pandorum." "Pandorum" was a very strange and weird movie that made you wonder what the hell was going on the whole time - that's what made it good. Too much "zombie-like" characteristics detracted from its basic premise. It was interesting.
  • sylvie dumont 2012/06/12 13:57:10
    "Star Wars"
    sylvie dumont
    +1
    Or Aliens (as in the second one). Or Terminator 2.
  • Tannenberg1993 2012/06/12 12:56:21
    "Jurassic Park"
    Tannenberg1993
    Although it's more like my personal favorite; I love dinosaurs and I like Crichton's books. I grew up obsessed with Star Wars but it's more fantasy than anything else; same goes for Avatar, which I hate.
  • Anne Tannenb... 2012/06/13 14:11:15
    Anne
    +1
    Definitely agree with the star wars comment; that's why I didn't put it into much consideration myself.
  • Apache 2012/06/12 12:46:42
  • bmacklowe 2012/06/12 08:43:20 (edited)
    Other
    bmacklowe
    +2
    E.T. (1982) The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951) Forbidden Planet (1956) Aliens (1986) Minority Report (2002) A.I. (2001) The Omega Man (1971) Forbidden Planet Aliens  1986 Omega man
  • WEREWOLF 2012/06/12 07:23:24 (edited)
    "Alien"
    WEREWOLF
    alien is just an early favorite of mine but I was torn between alien, serenity, fifth element, and avatar so any of those four for me.
  • Catnip "Guru" ∞ 2012/06/12 03:58:21
    "Star Wars"
    Catnip "Guru" ∞
    +1
    This gem is still the best and will always be the best!
  • JPS 2012/06/12 02:45:57
    Other
    JPS
    The first Terminator. But Blade Runner and John Carpenter's Remake of The Thing are great as well.
  • lynda.appell2 2012/06/12 02:43:57
    "2001: A Space Odyssey"
    lynda.appell2
    +1
    I thought 2001 would of gotten many more votes. Its a classic that is an intellectual master piece.combining the psychological with science. Starwars is the movie noted for starting Sci Fi blockbusters and indies was protest against blockbusters. I loved the eeriness of Bladerunner. Others to me include Metropolis, Forbidden Planet, 1 Superman movie, and the earliest film with a plot. Melies's 1902 "Trip to the Moon"
  • RyanHayes 2012/06/12 02:13:26
    "Star Wars"
    RyanHayes
    +1
    Always and forever. :D
  • Buffalobill91 2012/06/12 01:26:46 (edited)
    "The Matrix"
    Buffalobill91
    +2
    Voting for the Matrix because it's my favorite by far...Star Wars was way ahead of its time and in a class of its own with the original trilogy.... the later films were nothing special imo.... but the Matrix changed as much with sci-fi and other types of film shooting and film making as star wars did with the originals. Plus----- how deep is that storyline and exactly how much does it tell you about the world today? A TON---With Star Wars--not so much...
  • Tennessee3501 2012/06/12 00:59:59
    "Star Wars"
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    The best by far! I loved the original trilogy!
  • Call me Mark willya? 2012/06/12 00:38:11
    "Plan 9 From Outer Space"
    Call me Mark willya?
    This is the absolute worst movie ever made!!! A total MUST SEE for any sci-fi fan!!! Of course so are most of the others too, but they're not as much FUN to watch. Who can laugh at a GOOD movie???
  • nicesteve 2012/06/12 00:15:27
    "Star Wars"
    nicesteve
    George Lucas has a box office smash times six with the Star Wars series. That has to be the best Sci-Fi movie series ever. 2001: A Space Odyssey and it's sequal 2010: The
    Year We Make Contact by Arthur G. Clark with Stanley Kuberick, and also Avatar by James Camron are a close second and a tight third.
  • Christine 2012/06/11 23:54:52
    "Star Wars"
    Christine
    Ya can't beat Star Wars.
  • Dre Haynes 2012/06/11 23:32:37
    "Star Wars"
    Dre Haynes
    +2
    Star Wars brought the entire genre into the prominence it now enjoys in pop culture
  • cnchess 2012/06/11 22:57:13
    "2001: A Space Odyssey"
    cnchess
    Before Computer-dominated special effects, a movie that made you think....
  • Edwin Arneson 2012/06/11 22:47:28
    Other
    Edwin Arneson
    Starship Troopers
  • Windy Edwin A... 2012/06/13 18:06:00
    Windy
    +1
    Really? Did you read the book? The makers of Heinlein's Starship Troopers into the movie did as horrible a job with bringing that book to movie form as did those who turned Andre Norton's Beast Master into that wreck of a movie -- the only things they took from the book were the animals and their connection witht he hero. They took a great science fiction book set in the future, after Planet Earth (Terra) had been destroyed by aliens during a galactic war, into a fantasy set in a mythological past that was NOTHING like the book. It's no wonder Andre never wanted any more of her books made into movies, even tho most of them would have made great movies even before CGI. Some other authors whose books would make great movies or TV series are Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider series, MZB's Bloody Sun series, Azimov's Foundation Trilogy, Heinlein's Time Enough fro Love and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and so many more. I've been a fan of Science fiction since I was 10 years old and the first story in that genre I read was Cities in Flight, second was Beast Master. I have a library with over 1500 science fiction books in it, many of them paperbacks from back in the 50s and 60s, one of them, an early MZB book, is even signed by the author, I got the signature when I got to meet he...
    Really? Did you read the book? The makers of Heinlein's Starship Troopers into the movie did as horrible a job with bringing that book to movie form as did those who turned Andre Norton's Beast Master into that wreck of a movie -- the only things they took from the book were the animals and their connection witht he hero. They took a great science fiction book set in the future, after Planet Earth (Terra) had been destroyed by aliens during a galactic war, into a fantasy set in a mythological past that was NOTHING like the book. It's no wonder Andre never wanted any more of her books made into movies, even tho most of them would have made great movies even before CGI. Some other authors whose books would make great movies or TV series are Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider series, MZB's Bloody Sun series, Azimov's Foundation Trilogy, Heinlein's Time Enough fro Love and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, and so many more. I've been a fan of Science fiction since I was 10 years old and the first story in that genre I read was Cities in Flight, second was Beast Master. I have a library with over 1500 science fiction books in it, many of them paperbacks from back in the 50s and 60s, one of them, an early MZB book, is even signed by the author, I got the signature when I got to meet her at a con. I don't think they've made the best science fiction movie yet, but I have enjoyed most of the ones made so far. I've been getting into urban fantasy lately (The Hollows -- which may be coming soon to the CW as a series -- The Sookie Stackhouse books -- the basis for HBO's True Blood series -- The Mercy Thompson series and it's spin-offs, etc.)
  • supreme 2012/06/11 22:30:42
    "The Matrix"
    supreme
    +1
    The Matrix had the best combo of effects and story IMO.

2014/11/23 15:53:06