What happened to all the homeless people in America?

Tea in the Harbor 2009/12/19 17:01:27
Homelessness doesn't happen anymore, we are the land of milk and honey
They're all bums, the hell with them
Here is some information
You're bumming me out, I have a party to got to.
Other
I just did a google search on the homeless and the most recent statistics I could find were from 2005, when there were up to two million in the streets at one time. Have we stopped even caring enough to count them? Millions have lost their homes in the past two years, where did they go? It's as though there are no humans involved in the current economic disaster.
My working theory is that since all media outlets are owned by the people who caused this tragedy they simply don't want to showcase the misery they have brought us. I'd rather think the problem has been solved, but I have a feeling we'd have heard something about that.
I know I see homeless veterans at highway interchanges all the time, asking for money with cardboard signs, but the news never covers the issue. I guess they're too busy watching Tiger's wood.

• HL 2009/12/19 17:33:07
    Other
    HL
    +11
    Unfortunately a lot of Americans cannot grasp the impact of this recession, considering that 90% are working and about half of them feel that it is not responsibility for we Americans to help but we have billions for other countries that we destroy, I just don't get it, why can't we help us first?

• BumsAmerica 2011/02/16 02:47:41
    They're all bums, the hell with them
    BumsAmerica
    Check out
    www. bumsofamerica .com
    Help me, Help them.
  • comatoseKahleih 2010/01/28 02:38:32
    Other
    comatoseKahleih
    +1
    it's not the working people who cannot grasp what's happening. it's the men in congress and senate who are not grasping the situation. all those abandoned houses and buildings from foreclosures could be used to help the homeless. for every person on the streets there is a home. the government just makes it illegal for them to shelter themselves. squatting shouldn't be illegal. we signed the the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, as human's we're entitle to safe and adequate housing. it's not the working class's fault that the government just sucks. not to sound nihilistic, people, but until there's no more greed there's going to be no peace for anyone. we've been headed in the this direction for the last 20 years. it's no surprise we're here now to the economists. we need a complete remodelling of the system.
  • BRADY969 2010/01/01 15:40:05 (edited)
    Other
    BRADY969
    +1
    I want to contribute to helping the homeless on MY OWN TERMS an don't believe it's the place of liberals or government to preach to me on how I should help, nor do I feel I should be FORCED to help EVERYONE on a socialist level.

The best way to help sometimes is to GIVE people the option to help the way they want to help.....forcing things never work.
  • Tea in ... BRADY969 2010/01/01 16:17:18
    Tea in the Harbor
    +1
    So you think that other human beings should be captives of your personal generosity? If you're not in the mood to give they can just raise their children under a bridge somewhere?
    Good idea, if the economy goes south the 300,000 veterans who are homeless and their families can just starve to make up the difference. Hell of a plan, why should we care if a million people are at risk of dying, they don't have money so they don't count. They should be at the mercy of the rest of us, let them survive the old fashioned way, by begging in the streets.
    They don't have any right to "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Governments aren't "instituted among men to protect these rights," who would think something that silly?
    Oh, that's right, the founders of our nation said that. Guess we should rethink how we feel about them huh?
  • BRADY969 Tea in ... 2010/01/01 21:11:23 (edited)
    BRADY969
    +1
    WOW...I just said I should be able to help who I want, when I want and not forced to do anything. I never said I didn't want to help people, I just want to do it on my terms. Should I not have the freedom to do that? You want that freedom taken away from me? I don't trust the government to help the right people.

So let me put you in your place and explain this to you one more time. It might sink in.

AS A HUMAN BEING WHO IS FREE TO DECIDE WHO HE GIVES HIS MONEY TO, IT IS MY PLACE TO SAY WHO'S WORTHY AND WHO'S NOT. SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT WORTHY OF A HAND OUT BECAUSE THEY ARE BAD PEOPLE. I WANT TO DECIDE....Why is that wrong?

I know why.....Because you have socialist values and feel people need to be forced into things by government.

You're wrong. The end.
  • Tea in ... BRADY969 2010/01/01 22:09:14
    Tea in the Harbor
    "SOME PEOPLE ARE NOT WORTHY OF A HAND OUT BECAUSE THEY ARE BAD PEOPLE. I WANT TO DECIDE....Why is that wrong?"
    When it comes to whether people live or die, your judging them shouldn't be the sole criteria. If you want to help people more than what it takes to keep them alive that's fine, but our Declaration says certain rights are inalienable and that governments are instituted to protect them whether they meet your approval or not.
    It's going to be two degrees below zero where I am tonight, every homeless person who doesn't find shelter will be dead by morning. Frozen to death. Most of them are veterans with PTSD or poor people with mental illness.
    You take your time judging people little buckaroo, you turn your snotty little nose up at the few seconds of someone's life you happen to see. Just remember you are one brain annuerism, one exploding shell, or one denied health insurance claim away from joining them. And you don't decide when the end is on someone elses poll, that is monumentally arrogant.
  • BRADY969 Tea in ... 2010/01/02 11:38:49 (edited)
    BRADY969
    I do care about SOME people....but I can't care about ALL people because that doesn't work....look at welfare as an example. And not to mention....IT'S MY MONEY!

For every 3 or 4 good human beings that I SAID I WANTED TO HELP ON MY TERMS....There's a pedophile, convicted rapist or drug addict I don't feel I should be forced to feed or house.

If you can't accept my opinion in that bleeding liberal heart of yours, I'm not sure what else I can say to help you understand.

HOW ABOUT I USE LARGE CAPS?

MY MONEY....I DECIDE....I'M A GROWN ADULT....I DON'T NEED TO BE TOLD HOW TO SPEND MY MONEY.....I WRITE MY OWN CHECKS AND RAISE MONEY MY WAY....I DON'T SPEAK FOR OTHERS AND OTHERS DON'T SPEAK FOR ME.

How's that?

PS: I can promise you that I've done more for the community's I've lived and worked in and raised more money for various people and organizations than you could ever possibly imagine. I'm willing to bet I've done more than 99.9% of the people on this entire website. I can also promise you that in the past 12 months, I've helped more veterans and children than you have in your entire life.

Tell me about the charity work you've done this year and I'll be more than happy to tell you about mine and I can also send you to websites where my hard work has been documented....

HOW ABOUT I USE LARGE CAPS?

How's that?

Tell me about the charity work you've done this year and I'll be more than happy to tell you about mine and I can also send you to websites where my hard work has been documented. Can you do that? Can you back up your charity work and donations?

Now keep telling me who I must help...Keep telling me I'm not grown enough to make my own decisions and take my freedom to decide away and see what happens. You get more out of me if you leave me freedom and I'm like most people.
  • Tea in ... BRADY969 2010/01/02 13:08:09
    Tea in the Harbor
    You can't promise me anything, and there's no reason you should. The things you've done to help other people are something you have a right to be proud of, and I will neither ask for a list nor doubt your word.
    To claim that you've done more than a person you know nothing about seems very arrogant to me, but you have a right to that as well. It's been my experience that people who have a need to feel superior to others could do better for themselves by asking questions of themselves than others but I have only a few words to form an opinion on and I'm sure there is much more to your life than that.
    Your assertion that for every three or four good people there is a pedophile, rapist, or drug addict is off the mark in my opinion by about a hundred fold, and to deny help to hundreds to avoid helping one who is undeserving seems very crass. To lump drug addicts in with rapists and pedophiles shows a complete misunderstanding of addiction. Drug and alcohol abuse are escape tactics that are almost always a symptom and not the actual problem. That's why treatment has such a miserable success rate, it treats a response without addressing the cause.
    You can think me a bleeding heart liberal if you want, but the fact is that I would like to help build a better society for all of us and i...
    You can think me a bleeding heart liberal if you want, but the fact is that I would like to help build a better society for all of us and it has as much to do with reducing the number of people who are victimized as it does with compassion. Criminal acts are acts of perceived desperation. The more people a society has in those desperate circumstances the more crime there will be. I believe that the social safety nets of European countries have more to do with their starkly lower crime rates than do their gun laws. People who aren't starving have no need to steal food. A few still will, but very few.
    We have become a very vindictive society, we imprison more of our population than any other country in the world. For that to be justified one would have to believe that we are the least ethical people in the world, and I simply reject that idea, so that leaves us to ask what we are doing to make so many people so desperate as to become criminals. I think the answer is the steadily increasing numbers of people who live in poverty while a fortunate few become obscenely wealthy. Study history and you will find that such societies will always have high crime rates, high drug and alcohol abuse rates, and frequently collapse of their own inequity.
  • BRADY969 Tea in ... 2010/01/02 13:15:27
    BRADY969
    Again, I just want the freedom to decide for myself. Thank you.
  • Tea in ... BRADY969 2010/01/02 18:01:29
    Tea in the Harbor
    We have that right now, and it's killing people. I want less dead people.
  • BRADY969 Tea in ... 2010/01/03 11:58:55 (edited)
    BRADY969
    Wow. You have a bad habit of blurring the lines.

Liberal stems from the word liberty. Liberty is about individual freedom. Your front page says you are a die hard liberal. A true liberal understands that in order for us to have liberty we need to have freedom to make decisions for ourselves. When we are ALLOWED TO BE FREE (IN MY OPINION A BIRTH RIGHT) to make decisions for ourselves, (and I like to give Americans the benefit of the doubt) we tend to do the right things. Not everyone does the right thing but then again, it's not your place or my place to force someone to do the right thing.

We want the same thing man. We truly do. In the end, we want to help do the right thing and take care of people who can't take care of themselves.....right? I want to take care of people who also do the right things in life and you don't care if they do the right things in life because you want to help EVERYONE, EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT DOING THE RIGHT THINGS IN LIFE BECAUSE YOU FEEL IT'S NOT OUR PLACE TO JUDGE WHAT THE RIGHT THING IN LIFE IS? I disagree because I can tell the diffference between right and wrong.

I just want the freedom to do it my way and you want the government to force individuals to make that decision because you trust government more than you trust individual freedom ...

I just want the freedom to do it my way and you want the government to force individuals to make that decision because you trust government more than you trust individual freedom to decide where our money goes. You understand that's a fart away from being communist....don't you?

Just admit that and we can go from here. Or is that to hard for you to admit to yourself?

Sounds to me that you're more of a socialist than a liberal. You may want to change your front page. You're giving liberals a bad name and that's not easy to do.

When you can be honest about what you believe in with yourself, then debates like this will make more sense and you won't be on the defense so much.

You may not see it now because you're so pissed by what I just wrote but I'm trying to help you see yourself for what you are.
    A socialist not a liberal. You don't believe in individual freedom to make decisions when it comes to money.
  • Tea in ... BRADY969 2010/01/03 17:26:43
    Tea in the Harbor
    Now you're going to tell me what I am? I only read the first sentence of your babble and it's the last thing I'll be reading from your arrogant self absorbed mind. Goodbye pinhead.
  • BRADY969 Tea in ... 2010/01/03 20:58:42 (edited)
    BRADY969
    Too bad you only read the first few sentences because I gave you credit for wanting to do the right thing. And yes, I'm going to tell you what you are. If the "Che" T-shirt fits, wear it!

read sentences credit che t-shirt fits wear
  • janet BRADY969 2010/01/16 14:01:51
    janet
    +1
    brady969, You are free to give to whom you want as long as you pay your taxes so that we stupid liberals can help people you don't care about.
  • BRADY969 janet 2010/01/16 16:35:34
    BRADY969
    +1
    There's ways around everything. I'll tell you what... you keep paying taxes and I'll do things the way I've been doing things.

If someone doesn't pay taxes it doesn't make them bad...it makes them richer.
  • Tea in ... BRADY969 2010/01/17 00:20:37
    Tea in the Harbor
    Richer, and the type of people who refuse to do there part.
  • BRADY969 Tea in ... 2010/01/18 10:18:46 (edited)
    BRADY969
    If you think just because people don't want to HAND their money over to government means they are greedy, you're a fool.

There's many people who can think for themselves and can make decisions on their own without the government making those choices for them. WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ANYONE HOW TO SPEND THEIR MONEY?

We don't need the government dictating to the people on how to spend their money.

YOU are brainwashed to believe that people can't do good things so we need GOVERNMENT to do things for us....You're part of the liberal sheep movement. You drank a GIANT glass of Liberal Kool-Aid served to you by BIG BROTHER!

liberal sheep movement drank giant glass liberal kool-aid served brother

Baaaaaa Baaaaaaa Baaaaaaa Baaaaaaaaa Go join the rest of the Big Brother lovers....Baaaaaaaa, Baaaaaaaa

baaaaaa baaaaaaa baaaaaaa baaaaaaaaa join rest brother lovers baaaaaaaa baaaaaaaa
  • Tea in ... BRADY969 2010/01/18 13:22:55
    Tea in the Harbor
    We do need the government "to secure these rights," the first of which is life, something that is not secure to the homeless. It's the reason our founders gave that "governments are instituted among men."
    You have every right to disagree with them, but they all signed the Declaration that includes those words and I agree with them.
  • BRADY969 Tea in ... 2010/01/18 19:33:07 (edited)
    BRADY969
    I don't have an issue helping those who aren't capable of helping them self but I depend on the constitution to keep us free enough to ALLOW us to make those choices for ourselves as "we the people". The constitution wasn't created to build homeless shelters. The purpose of government is to protect the constitution and the purpose of the constitution is to keep us free. Forcing us to do anything on those lines is not freedom, it's socialism and it's communist.

Please show me where in the constitution it says anything about every American having the "right" to have shelter.

Shelter isn't a "right",it's a privilege.
  • Tea in ... BRADY969 2010/01/18 22:49:19
    Tea in the Harbor
    I quoted the Declaration of Independence twice in the reply you are responding to, our founders didn't envision the callous society we are today, it was common practice back then to invite a traveler into your home and feed him or her. If you don't understand that our society today differs from that of our founders then you really don't have much of a grasp on reality. I am not responsible for your opinions, you are. Take any view you choose, but our founders listed three rights that governments are responsible for securing, the first was life.
  • BRADY969 Tea in ... 2010/01/19 08:41:59 (edited)
    BRADY969
    Look...You and I have the same goals, to take care of people who can't take care of them self but the way we want to do that is vastly different. You trust government enough to do that and I don't. I have faith in people and you have faith in government.

You are way off about a couple things and didn't read what I wrote....

There's a difference between "inviting" someone in your home and forcing people to let someone in your home. Keep in mind, you used the word "invite". What does "invite" mean?

*to request the presence or participation of in a kindly, courteous, or complimentary way, esp. to request to come or go to some place, gathering, entertainment, etc., or to do something: to invite friends to dinner. *

To "invite" you must have the FREE WILL and FREEDOM to do that. By government TAKING money from the people and claim they are going to do the right things with your money to help the homeless, that's wrong because government can't be trusted. Government lies and does the wrong things with our money. We must be able to help people when and how we see fit and keep government out of it.

you said...""If you don't understand that our society today differs from that of our founders then you really don't have much of a grasp on reality.""

Ummmm...YOU are the one compari...

Ummmm...YOU are the one comparing today's life with yesterdays life, the Declaration of independence and when it was written.

I agreed with you on securing life but what we are talking about has NOTHING to do with that and doesn't fall into that category because you can live outside and on the streets. It's not a good life but you're still living.

Again, I ask you to show me where in the constitution OR The declaration of independence where it says ANYTHING about putting a roof over any-body's head!?!?!?
  • Tea in ... BRADY969 2010/01/19 13:20:40
    Tea in the Harbor
    This will be my last comment on this thread.
    In my opinion you are more concerned about your rights than you are about what's right.
    As I stated above, you are responsible for your opinions, I am not.
  • BRADY969 Tea in ... 2010/01/19 19:12:13 (edited)
    BRADY969
    You win....I care about my rights.. Shame on me.

Ohhh wait, you don't win because I care about you're rights too and I care about the rights of others.

IF I DON'T CARE ABOUT MY RIGHTS....WHO WILL? YOU?

The freedom to help people on our own terms can't be taken away.

Glad to know this was your last post.

I trust people to do the right thing.....you trust the government...THE END!
  • Tonio31~E Pluribus Unum~ 2009/12/22 00:24:18
    Other
    Tonio31~E Pluribus Unum~
    They're in Mexico
  • kimdracula 2009/12/20 23:27:49
    kimdracula
    +1
    Haven't you heard, they all came to live in the SoCal beaches.

No, seriously. It's terrible. They're everywhere in the city. People don't even bother looking at them; it's like they're invisible. :[
  • lance az 2009/12/20 21:32:46
    Other
    lance az
    +1
    A new verse for "where have all the flowers gone". When will they ever learn.. It seems the only time we know anything is if the media reports on it, I think we should challenge CNN or PBS to expose the truth. I suspect as others on this thread do that they are with family and if they have no family to care for them, they are on thestreets, quietly embarrased by the situation they were forced into by the greedy, self-serving capitalists in this country.
  • 519378 2009/12/20 18:22:42
    Other
    519378
    +4
    Maybe there are too many to count.
    Sacramento keeps raiding the tent cities forcing the homeless to relocate.
  • Nick Name 2009/12/20 18:08:44 (edited)
    Other
    Nick Name
    +3
    Under current standards you're not counted as homeless if you have any place to life. A car, under a bridge, a cardboard box.......
    Is this another example of the cliche that people that don't vote don't exist? Can't vote without an address........
    Invisible Homeless Guy
  • wombat 2009/12/20 18:01:26
    Other
    wombat
    +3
    Well thats the third world art of your glorious country.
  • Tea in ... wombat 2009/12/20 18:26:51
    Tea in the Harbor
    +2
    Good point. But there are a lot of people in our country who aren't feeling particularly glorious these days. We did recently collapse the world economy with blatant greed and some of us feel that was a less than glorious act. And then there are the 45,000 human sacrifices we make each year to capitalism in our health care system, we don't like human sacrifice when other people do it but when profit is involved, well I guess it's just the way of the world. Did you know 17,000 of those each year are children? That's 46.575342 kids a day, dead. But hey at least we're not socialists, except to corporations.
  • Naui 2009/12/20 16:49:45
  • Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, US... 2009/12/20 15:21:21
    Other
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +6
    Imaginative answers, but it belittles the Importance of this problem. If there was a shortage of homes, and living spaces, it would be more understandable. You are correct, there is very little available information on the problem, but here in Austin, the problem is on every corner/intersection. As the old Willie Nelson song says, "..where the weather fits my clothes." But now it is cold. From what I hear, the Salvation Army is full. THERE HAS TO BE AN ANSWER, and no nation can just ignore such a population, and if they do, they will eventually pay the price. I am a smart man, and I have limited, but livable resources available to me, but I do not have an answer. I do know, it is only an answer that government and caring can fix. One of the problems is States Rights. We have Republican (Red) and Democratic (Blue) States, contrary to some neat talk by some politicians. There is no-longer, since Reagan's day, been a central America. There must be a United States before we can fix this problem. I have a lot of personal mixed feelings, and can think of no way to get around the problems we have. no-longer reagans central america united fix personal mixed feelings problems
  • marvthemartian 2009/12/20 14:57:51
    Other
    marvthemartian
    +1
    I wonder why Barry hasn't had a photo op at one of these many tent cities?
  • Tea in ... marvthe... 2009/12/20 16:57:10
    Tea in the Harbor
    +4
    Is your mind so small that it allows only a single thought to inhabit it? I'm a little pissed at the President myself, but blaming him for everything is just....well...stupid.
  • marvthe... Tea in ... 2009/12/22 01:54:10 (edited)
    marvthemartian
    Huh, and who is the Arab In Chief?
  • herb 2009/12/20 09:48:10
    Here is some information
    herb
    +5
    While there are homeless a' plenty, the one faction I do support are those hawking a paper about homeless issues. Each paper is a dollar, with $.75 going to the seller and $.25 going to the cost of publication.
  • AL 2009/12/20 08:29:50 (edited)
    Other
    AL
    Maybe they just all ran to Mexico for hand outs! That would sure be the day alright!
  • Tina Hillstrom 2009/12/20 07:15:15
    Here is some information
    Tina Hillstrom
    +1
    The night Santa went crazyThe night Saint Nick went insane Realized he'd been getting the RAW deal Somethin' finally must've snapped in his brain Well, the workshop is gone now, he decided to bomb it Everywhere you'll find pieces of Cupid & Comet He tied up his helpers, he held the elves hostage he ground up poor Rudolph into reindeer sausageHe got Dancer & Prancer with an old German Luge he slashed up Dasher just like Freddy Krueger He picked up a flamethrower and he barbecued Blitzen then he took a big bite said To all a good night damn this tastes just like chicken!" freddy krueger picked flamethrower barbecued blitzen bite damn tastes chicken
  • emmames... Tina Hi... 2009/12/20 12:24:40
  • Joseph ... emmames... 2009/12/20 15:29:18
    Joseph E. Bowker, CMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    +5
    One thing that makes a Conservative into a [...] is that they realize, and encourage the Classes - without a welfare class, they would not be able to feel like such desirable elitist. I agree with your remarks, Tina Hillstrom is a snob. She has hers, [...] everybody else. Americans like her we need less than the homeless.

2014/04/19 09:42:42