What do you think of open ended questions?

mrosen814 2009/06/02 01:11:43
SodaHead Groupies
Open ended questions allow for free form, discussion-style responses! Try it out!

http://www.sodahead.com/question/ask/

You must be a member of the group SodaHead Groupies to vote on this poll.

• Fef 2009/06/02 01:50:10
    Fef
    +6
    In response to user request, we've added Open Ended Questions.

Now you have the option to select "open-ended" for all those questions where people put "..." or "comment" as the answer choices.

Users still have multiple choice format by default. To make multiple choice, 'uncheck' the box under the description.

• Kamuela 2013/01/11 02:32:49
    Kamuela
    Yes. ;-)
  • katywon 2012/06/16 17:13:09
    katywon
    I like open ended questions. But in my experience they don't get answered much. People seem to prefer choices. Perhaps its because everyone is not a typist or doesn't have the time to put into them. I wish there was actually more real discussion. The ones that draw the most traffic seem to be those with pictures of beautiful unrealistic women or the political scene. all of which is interesting. And after all you can pick and choose who you want to answer or rave.
  • Xerxes 2011/05/23 03:02:09
    Xerxes
    +2
    i like them no way can the voting be one sided
  • doc moto Xerxes 2011/12/24 05:09:11
    doc moto
    +1
    Well, there are some trying to make it appear that way!
  • Xerxes doc moto 2011/12/24 05:52:54
    Xerxes
    +1
    Unfortunately you are right, sorry my bad
  • doc moto Xerxes 2011/12/24 06:00:27
    doc moto
    +1
    Not your fault; we cannot change the duties and neglect of some parents! We just have to try and set a good example, no matter at time how much it hurts our pride and understanding that the protest is so wrong and non-productive. As a VET we have fought for the 'rights' of all US Citizens and not just for a few, for ALL; however, that does not give then the right to walk all over us senior types too! But that is where our years of watching many falling on their faces, I like to give folks a helping hand instead of a push or shove driving them to trip or fall...Thank you very much for your message here.
  • Xerxes doc moto 2011/12/24 06:21:31
    Xerxes
    +1
    I agree to a point, the following is strictly a personal opinion, after my last tour in"Nam, I started to notice no one cared for the vet,war was winding down, we were viewed as losers. Use to be if you applied for a job as a vet it meant something, now it means nothing, the very government we defended now takes it's cue for Corporate America, you know and I know why we went into Iraq, We started desert training in the late 70s. Sorry, this is the way I feel.
  • doc moto Xerxes 2011/12/24 06:49:53
    doc moto
    I am a veteran and served during the VietNam Era, the fact remains that I had volunteered and they would not allow my type to go there, just all around that area. I supported the logistical site via secured communications, was USAF and yet went to Army school for special training, my classification and some are still secure and my clearance was also as I do not speak of where all the locations as many are still in service today and no humans are manning them; figure that one out! Anyway, I also trained military and civilian when I was an instructor; many from Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc...from South America, Korea, etc... and difference branches of our servicemen as well. They could not fail any portion of what I taught and the school was a solid six months, no breaks. At the end, if they failed a test given, they go back either into another field or not at all, as they are called "wash-outs" and in foreign countries, it was looked as a disgrace to have that stigma. Yes, I know full well what has happen and happening in Iraq and its neighboring villages. Give you a hint, I am also a life member of the non-commissioned officers association and yet served as a civilian as well in a very unique area over the massive pacific rim and this was after I got out of the 'touchy-t...
    I am a veteran and served during the VietNam Era, the fact remains that I had volunteered and they would not allow my type to go there, just all around that area. I supported the logistical site via secured communications, was USAF and yet went to Army school for special training, my classification and some are still secure and my clearance was also as I do not speak of where all the locations as many are still in service today and no humans are manning them; figure that one out! Anyway, I also trained military and civilian when I was an instructor; many from Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, UAE, etc...from South America, Korea, etc... and difference branches of our servicemen as well. They could not fail any portion of what I taught and the school was a solid six months, no breaks. At the end, if they failed a test given, they go back either into another field or not at all, as they are called "wash-outs" and in foreign countries, it was looked as a disgrace to have that stigma. Yes, I know full well what has happen and happening in Iraq and its neighboring villages. Give you a hint, I am also a life member of the non-commissioned officers association and yet served as a civilian as well in a very unique area over the massive pacific rim and this was after I got out of the 'touchy-touchy-field"...Life is fun, because of a family death, I resign my commission and did other things, retired now, but I removed all my retirement from civil service and military holdings. I am one of the very few that was able to do so, therefore they do not send me anything and I did not claim any of the medical calls which I was entitled, I saw two arms and two legs and I can see and hear and that was good enough for me...My wife might not agree, but I was much younger then...Our baby turn 37 very soon...our eldest is 46...We will be together this weekend and my great grandchildren came into town tonight so I am one real happy cookie! I passed by your town back in 1970-72, we lived in Bonaire GA and we traveled all around the Southern area when I was in the MOB. God Bless you my friend and I will be praying for you! Merry Christmas and a most prosperous New Year.
  • Xerxes doc moto 2011/12/24 07:02:33
    Xerxes
    +1
    Thank You, May God Bless you and yours
  • Kamuela Xerxes 2013/01/11 02:49:37
    Kamuela
    +1
    I'm totally with ya, brah!!! Not a vet myself - but I was disgusted by the fact that so many Vietnam Vets wound up homeless or abandoned in other ways - so I designed the "Veterans' Integration Program" (VIP) here in Hawaii. It trains vets to work as vocational rehabilitation counselors for other vets, based on the idea that the shared experience of vets is so unique that a fellow veteran is by far the best person to provide reintegration and rehabilitation services for fellow vets. My wife and I both have a real heart for vets - she works as a Nurse Case Manager for the Wounded Warriors on a local Marine base, essentially making sure that wounded vets returning from Afghanistan and (until recently) Iraq receive the medical treatment and service. Even though we were both opposed to going into Iraq, we still have an obligation to the men and women who gave up so much to defend the mission our government gave them.
  • NachoChuckySpaceMoney 2009/12/01 20:10:19
    NachoChuckySpaceMoney
    I like them. u can comment wat u want.
  • Nimrod 2009/12/01 20:05:31
    Nimrod
    I like them better
  • Marlow ~ Let There Be Light 2009/12/01 17:15:44
    Marlow ~ Let There Be Light
    I definitely prefer the poll formatted questions. It's cool to see what answer recieves the most votes. These open ended questions seem like they're rushed and lack thought.
  • Isma'ila (God has heard)! 2009/12/01 12:27:08
    Isma'ila (God has heard)!
    I love open ended questions!
  • Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^ 2009/10/15 22:17:21
    Nick~believe ^MOTOOP^
    THe only problem is that anyone who answers one is considered agreeing with others who have answered, regardless of their answer.
  • nairam 2009/09/28 00:18:45
    nairam
    I love open-ended questions, you get to fully give your opinion instead of being restricted to choosing between two options. I do enjoy polls though, they are fun, and you still get to comment on why you picked the answer you did; but with open-ended questions, any answer goes.
  • Troy 2009/09/24 21:22:12
    Troy
    +1
    Brilliant, it allows people to fully express their thoughts and feelings on the subject without constriction or limitation. It creates the opportunity to expand the topic and explore other avenues of thought, it encourages debate.

Of course it also allows the opportunity for nutjobs to go off on a tangent but, ho hum... theres a price for everything!

Regards,
    Troy.
  • Dark Demonic™ ★ The Original SodaHead Guru ★
    +2
    I LOVE IT!!

I haven't had one "Where is the 'None of the Above" option. lol
  • doc moto Dark De... 2011/12/24 05:04:56
    doc moto
    +1
    I was also wondering on the choices and lack there of, some folks use, like all towards one side of the spectrum... Would love for "Moderator" action on the "you have the vote the way I tell you" attitude!
  • Dark De... doc moto 2011/12/24 05:09:18
    Dark Demonic™ ★ The Original SodaHead Guru ★
    Agreed.

I try to always offer "Yes", "Nope" and "I think..." options. It's an OCD thing of mine. All the images for each option are the same size and dimensions, plus they go each increase in size like steps.
  • doc moto Dark De... 2011/12/24 05:24:43 (edited)
    doc moto
    +1
    There is a deal on/about Ron Paul's "newsletter" from the 90's and the two choices are like, out in right/left field depending if you are playing (player) or watching from the bleachers in the grandstand of life. The article from Reuters and I know CNN was also pushing the man (Representative Paul) to "admit" that he either authored or "approved" the slanted thoughts in the printed matter bearing his name... Looks like NPR has also joined the "push"! http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsa...

(OPEN ENDED CHOICES; WOW!)
  • Alexandrite 2009/06/03 22:50:58
    Alexandrite
    er. Idk. my bff Jill???
  • govlastpeoplefirst 2009/06/03 14:14:02
    govlastpeoplefirst
    +2
    All reporters should ask only open ended questions. This liberal attack media is getting boring, I don't trust the media, I normally come to the web, to the real people to get what is happening in the world. I want to know what the people think, Not some "got ya reporter" adding their opinion.
  • myssabz 2009/06/03 00:27:15
    myssabz
    +2
    I think I will like this better. That is why I usually post blogs instead of questions as I would rather give people an open opportunity to respond without having to choose a response, plus I cant always think of all the possible answers.
  • Dagon 2009/06/02 23:27:24
  • Sumo- Living for the new year! 2009/06/02 18:06:23
    Sumo- Living for the new year!
    +3
    good for more user debate.
  • Kamuela Sumo- L... 2013/01/11 02:53:48
    Kamuela
    Agreed! Of course, as long as the individuals participating actually adhere to some kind of rhetorical format instead of just naysaying.
  • Chris [Ninja]™ 2009/06/02 16:21:40
    Chris [Ninja]™
    +3
    I think it's a great idea. How are they going to be handled in the widget?
  • Fef Chris [... 2009/06/03 07:18:52
    Fef
    What widget?? ;)
  • Pop Patrol Chris [... 2009/06/05 03:33:29
    Pop Patrol
    GOOD QUESTION! Get to work on that!!!!!!!
  • The Seanz 2009/06/02 15:44:09
    The Seanz
    +1
    So what's the difference between this and blogs now?

Also it's not clear at all what "Include answer choices" means. There should be a brief explanation or it should be worded as "Make this question open-ended" or something similar.
  • Fef The Seanz 2009/06/03 07:20:04
    Fef
    +1
    If only we had a programmer who could quickly turn around front-end work ;)

We do have plans to improve the "ask question" process. I think it looks great so far in development.
  • Kino 2009/06/02 04:20:40
    Kino
    +2
    I like the concept. Allows for an answer outside the available provided by the pollster.
  • TexanInHawaii 2009/06/02 03:19:36
    TexanInHawaii
    +2
    Cool...I often struggle to come up with SOME kind of answer...I like the option!
    Thanks!
    +2
    That is great!
  • Fef 2009/06/02 01:50:10
    Fef
    +6

• 1000384 2009/06/02 01:40:18
    1000384
    +2
    OK . . . I'm slow tonight. What am I missing? This looks like every other blog form I've seen.....
  • Fef 1000384 2009/06/02 01:48:17
    Fef
    +4
    This "Question" doesn't have multiple choice.
  • 1000384 Fef 2009/06/02 02:11:53
    1000384
    +4
    Told you I was slow tonight.

I just clicked on it again and it looks like by default questions are multiple-choice unless you de-select the "include answers" box.

I like the idea of just offering up a statement for free-flowing discussion, too.

Thanks, Fef.
  • mu_linlin7 2009/06/02 01:26:15
    mu_linlin7
    +1
    It seems exactly like a blog to me.

2014/09/24 00:27:51