Water was shut off to California farms because of endangered Delta Smelt Fish that need this fresh water. Should the water be shut off for the fish or should the water be turned back on for the farmers to water their crops and to employee people?

♥N A♥ 2009/08/12 03:27:00
Keep the water shut off just in case one of these 2 inch long fishes get caught in the drain pipes!
TURN ON THE WATER LIBERALS!  A 40% unemployment rate, people going to foodbanks and acres dead or dying is not worth saving a 2 inch fish!
Read information below that explains California in its state of emergency because of liberals shutting off water to our food supply just to try and protect a fish from getting caught in our drain pipes.

Unemployment rates are now 40% because of the water being shut off to farmers. Hundreds of acres of crops are now dead. 1 million acres of fields and orchards also have no aboveground water supply. People have to go to food banks for food. Fruits and vegetable prices have skyrocketed in central California.

Federal water managers cut off water to thousands of California farms as a result of Water has been cut off since March.
Farmers in the nation's No. 1 agriculture state predicted it would cause consumers to pay more for their fruits and vegetables, which would have to be grown using expensive well water.

Environmentalists are tripping over themselves to preserve every
species that crawls, squirms, swims or flys (sic) but they are content
to let humans die," claimed Nunes. " And now they have a government
that agrees with them. This Congress and our President have chosen
fish over people in my state."

I think the judges decision is wrong," claimed Schwarzenegger. "If you
start choosing species, and the smelt and salmon over people, I think
you are wrong. I think its a mistake when you see the impacts that it
has."

"Water is our life - it's our jobs and it's our food," said Ryan Jacobsen, executive director of the farm bureau in Fresno County. "Without a reliable water supply, Fresno County's No. 1 employer - agriculture - is at great risk."
The drought would cause an estimated $1.15 billion dollar loss in agriculture-related wages and eliminate as many as 40,000 jobs in farm-related industries in the San Joaquin Valley alone, where most of the nation's produce and nut crops are grown, said Lester Snow, director of the Department of Water Resources.

Jeff Peracchi, a pomegranate and grape grower in Huron, said he was laying off employees because without water, there wouldn't be much fruit to pick.
"I can't just say I won't farm this year - I have to do something. But I'm having to lay off guys who have been with us for years," Peracchi said. "At this point, I'm planning to farm to keep the fruit as healthy as I can, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able to be profitable."

California's agricultural industry typically receives 80 percent of all the water supplies managed by the federal government - everything from far-off mountain streams and suburban reservoirs. The state supplies drinking water to 23 million residents and 755,000 acres of irrigated farmland.
Farms supplied by flows from the state would still get 15 percent of their normal deliveries, but the combined state and federal cutbacks would leave more than 1 million acres of fields and orchards with no aboveground water supply, Snow said.

Water for crops was restricted by court decisions cutting back deliveries that flow through the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta, a freshwater estuary home to the delta smelt, a fish scientists believe is on the brink of extinction.

Dwindling supplies would have to be routed to cities to ensure residents, hospitals and fire crews have enough to meet minimum health and safety needs, said Don Glaser, the federal reclamation bureau's Mid-Pacific Region director.

• ♥N A♥ 2009/08/12 03:40:39 (edited)
    TURN ON THE WATER LIBERALS! A 40% unemployment rate, people going to foodban...
    ♥N A♥
    +13
    My husband said last summer there were fields and beautiful orchards of everything you could think of. He is a deputy and patrols this San Joaquin area. Onions, tomatoes, corn, watermelons, cantelope, garlic, peaches, plums, grapes,brocolli, lettuce, almonds, walnuts, pistachios you name it they grew it. This year he drives by an area bigger than Rhode Island that is nothing but dead trees and crops. This was on Sean Hannity tonight. They had comedian Paul Rodriguez and a Republican senator were on the show. Rodriguez said he used to be for Obama and voted Democratic but he is changing his votes for Republicans now.

The Republicans want the water back on, the democrats want it to save off because they claim these fish might get caught in the drain pipes and they are endangered. I live here! My husband works here! We are living this! The unemployment is 40% because there are no fruit or vegetables to pick and harvest. We have to have our fruits and vegetables shipped from other countries and from other states!

And this is the stupid fish they are killing us over!

This is what our beautiful crops use to look like:

This is what they look like now:

fruit vegetables harvest fruits vegetables shipped countries stupid fish killing

harvest fruits vegetables shipped countries stupid fish killing beautiful crops

This is what they look like now:

• jimbritttn 2011/04/28 11:32:33 (edited)
    jimbritttn
    These farmers have a 2nd Amendment right to FIGHT to get their water turned on!

A group of armed men should POISON the fish; end of issue!

This judge should be tarred & feathered!
  • JOHNBALE 2009/12/18 18:42:55
    JOHNBALE
    +1
    revolution
  • Dee Dee 2009/10/16 13:58:50
    Dee Dee
    I am wondering how many of the decision makers and controllers who have turned off the water were educated or from the Pew Charitable Trust? The fish are expendable; they can be raised in ponds but people are not expendable except those who are making and controlling this situation. Take names and numbers; publish them and find out industries to boycott that aided this horror. A vote for Democrats is a vote for this kind of action. Republicans care about people and create jobs.
  • Clyde Webb 2009/10/12 21:34:14
    Clyde Webb
    +1
    This is so stupid. This shows the mentality of these liberals. Since when did a 2 inch fish become more important than people? The liberals need their food supply shut off.
  • bcass2 2009/09/29 20:12:50
    bcass2
    +4
    TURN ON THE WATER, SHUT THE WATER TO NANCY PELOSI'S VINEYARDS
  • tonberry 2009/09/23 23:45:11
    tonberry
    +2
    Im living it too, but let me tell you their motivation behind this is not only the fish , that's kind of the ridiculous hot point that will get the most attention, but this water is actually being redirected is to southern california, particularly los angeles. The big city is basically buying up the water rights out from under the Central Valley. That is the real issue here , the fish is affected but I see it as more of a distraction ...and a good one at that. I think it's unfair just because they have more money they can take what they like, and in the long run it will actually hurt the entire state. When you think about what the Central Valley produces in comparison to what comes out of Southern California in terms of value. Everyone has to eat , not everyone needs to see the next high school musical or whatever. They take this region for granted and what comes out of it but it will soon be very apparent when its right in front of us on our plates.
  • Geri Stockwell 2009/09/21 19:50:08
    Geri Stockwell
    +3
    Is the government going nuts ? Turn on the water
  • angrycentristsunite 2009/09/21 19:43:23
    angrycentristsunite
    The water should be turned back on. But here's what is so interesting to me about our lovely and talented media, particularly Fox News. You got Paul (Rodriguez) and Sean (Hannity) standing out there with the shades on trying to look cool and helpful by blaming Obama for this outrage on his show Sunday night. And this is a complete outrage. But these guys aren't blaming the right person for this. This is my point. The guy they need to be blaming is California Federal Judge Oliver Winston Wanger. This is the guy that single-handedly, with a knock from his gavel, destroyed Huron, CA and the San Joaquin Valley by AGREEING WITH, not DISMISSING testimony he heard from the environmentalist making this claim about the fish. This judge is the guy that needs to be put in the hot seat in front of the angry mob that formed Hannity's "audience of thousands" on his show Sunday night. Instead, what is happening? Hannity is using this plight of these poor farmers, not because he actually cares about them, but as another chance (a highly dramatic one at that) to attack Obama to get ratings. Fox News is still a business no matter what the hosts of their shows say about "looking out for you." If by the word "you," they mean their shareholders, then technically they're telling the tru...
    The water should be turned back on. But here's what is so interesting to me about our lovely and talented media, particularly Fox News. You got Paul (Rodriguez) and Sean (Hannity) standing out there with the shades on trying to look cool and helpful by blaming Obama for this outrage on his show Sunday night. And this is a complete outrage. But these guys aren't blaming the right person for this. This is my point. The guy they need to be blaming is California Federal Judge Oliver Winston Wanger. This is the guy that single-handedly, with a knock from his gavel, destroyed Huron, CA and the San Joaquin Valley by AGREEING WITH, not DISMISSING testimony he heard from the environmentalist making this claim about the fish. This judge is the guy that needs to be put in the hot seat in front of the angry mob that formed Hannity's "audience of thousands" on his show Sunday night. Instead, what is happening? Hannity is using this plight of these poor farmers, not because he actually cares about them, but as another chance (a highly dramatic one at that) to attack Obama to get ratings. Fox News is still a business no matter what the hosts of their shows say about "looking out for you." If by the word "you," they mean their shareholders, then technically they're telling the truth. By the way, Judge Oliver Winston Wanger was appointed not by some wacko liberal. Nope. He was appointed to the U. S. District Court by none other than George H.W. Bush on January 8, 1991. Don't believe me? http://www.fjc.gov/servlet/tG...
  • Dottie 2009/09/21 15:30:29
    Dottie
    +3
    What next the inmates ARE running the asylum!!!!!Fish before people? After you have destroyed California you liberals will only have 49 states left to destroy....Wow what a goal...I pray sanity comes back before all of the rich farmland and millions of lives are forever destroyed.
  • liam 2009/09/21 12:40:18
    liam
    Please contact the White house on this vital issue as millions of people are suffering and millions more will pay the price on food that we all need!
  • Nobamaforu 2009/09/18 14:33:15
    Nobamaforu
    +1
    Excuse me for being cynical here but we are talking about our government.
    I would venture to guess that our politicians are using this "environmental" issue as an excuse to keep the water turned off for another completely different reason. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that there is something FAR more nefarious going on here. Perhaps someone in government wants to starve this land of its value....making it easier to get it from its current owners? Perhaps this is the governments way of dealing with illegals working on farms in that area? I don't have any answers but I damn well know that our government ONLY does things that are self beneficial, not to save some little species of fish.
  • CT_Buckeye 2009/09/18 10:48:38
    CT_Buckeye
    +1
    You think the proposed health care legislation is a violation of freedoms, there are lots of "little" things like this that happen all the time (eg. light bulbs). If I were Shwarzenegger, I'd get the National Guard to 'turn the water back on'.
  • Dottie CT_Buckeye 2009/09/21 15:36:56
    Dottie
    +3
    Good idea but when I suggested that to my husband last night he reminded me that the National Guard is under the control of (You guessed it) the FEDERAL Goverment so they can't help either....California grows enough food to feed the world and I want to know why the media has'nt mentioned much of this when water was shut off in March. There's more freedom of the press in Russia and China today.
    God help the framers of the San Joaquin Valley who have fed us for a 100 years.
  • larry 2009/09/18 04:46:30
    larry
    I am utterly amazed that we are having this discussion! the water should have never been shut off. This is so unbelievable! Obama really knows how to create Jobs RIGHT!
  • Michelle 2009/09/18 01:36:24
    Michelle
    +3
    There must be some way - SOME WAY - to filter the fish out of the water BEFORE it gets to the pumps and small drainpipes. Why does everyone think either/or ???
  • Dottie Michelle 2009/09/21 15:39:42
    Dottie
    +1
    Who cares about the fish... Let them come out of the drainpipes at least the Farmers and their families fry them up for something to eat....beats standing in food lines.I can't wait till "we the people are put on the endangered species list" then maybe sanity and common sense will come back to rule in the USA..
  • GaryC 2009/09/03 17:21:11
    GaryC
    +2
    You can't look to gvmnt for help. We must do for ourselves. Otherwise the leftist in power will legislate us all into internment camps groveling for scraps. See you in DC on 9.12.09
  • htnhjessica 2009/08/18 04:28:43
    Keep the water shut off just in case one of these 2 inch long fishes get caug...
    htnhjessica
    That's the problem with most people, they are selfish and only think of themselves. I agree this situation problem should have been recognized long before and dealt with gradually, giving alternative ways to get cheap water to farmers and allowing the fish to live in their own habitat. But since they didn't, this was the only thing they could think of for the moment. Alot of species of animals would be alive today or plentiful today were it not for us. It's about time we gave back. As for now, let the farmers use the well water until another solution is drafted. I don't mind paying a little extra so that an entire species can live. Yall act like the human race is endangered too. It's not.
  • Dottie htnhjes... 2009/09/21 15:43:39 (edited)
    Dottie
    +1
    Give it time ...with all you people worshiping creation instead of the creator it won't take long before the human race is "endangered"...It's always amazing to me how GOD ,creator of ALL things, ran the universe for thousands of years without the environmentalists help.
  • htnhjes... Dottie 2009/09/23 01:52:20
    htnhjessica
    ha ha that is the one thing my friend i am sure will never happen. humans will never become extinct on earth until we run out of the natural resources needed to sustain our life, and since many of us aren't letting that happen, we'll be fine. And you're forgetting that God wasn't evil, we are.
  • P-Funk 2009/08/18 03:57:05
    P-Funk
    It's this kind of lunacy by California bureaucrats and politicians that made me escape Cali back in 2001. It was either leave the state or start shooting politicians. I had kids still living at home, so I chose leaving.
  • Sabrine Mae 2009/08/17 04:09:49
    Sabrine Mae
    The democratic congress majority is going to kill argiculture everywhere!
  • 1oct1 "Marko" 2009/08/16 23:22:27
    1oct1 "Marko"
    They will survive, turn it back on.
  • sickone 2009/08/16 19:22:21
    sickone
    seem to they coulld have placed a screen over the pipes small enough for the fish not to swim tru and kept pumping water . On the other hand could be a conspiricy to further weaken california ,whats next i dont see them turning off the dams fish get cut up n the turbines, so it sounds like a big crock to create more job loss . its a democratic plot to make a republican govt look bad .its a shame they will stop at nothing to do somthing like this no matter who they hurt.
  • ♐☆ ♥ Deni ♥☆♐ 2009/08/15 22:32:26
    ♐☆ ♥ Deni ♥☆♐
    I'm telling you all they are working towards starving us all out! thanks for posting this Nicole, I've referenced the story and the Paul Rodriguez video in a few replies to the droolers on the site. I'm glad somebody finally made a poll about it :)
  • TruBluTopaz 2009/08/15 22:02:32
    TruBluTopaz
    This is the stupidest story I have heard. What is worse that the Fresno Valley is drying up. This particular area is a very fertile region which furnishes many Americans with produce. But instead of lowering the cost of fresh veggies AND creating a product which could in turn provide the now bankrupt state of California with much needed revenue, the starchy little upstarts in the environmental ranks keep the water away from commercial and private farms. This, in addition to driving farm businesses into bankruptcy also manages to cause further unemployment to the local population. In a nutshell, this is exactly what the Obama administration intends to do on a larger scale with Cap and Trade. So stay tuned boys and girls, it's going to get worse before it gets better.
  • Billyk75 2009/08/15 15:05:09
    Billyk75
    With the financial trouble that California is in, one would think that the people would finally wisen up.
  • kydso 2009/08/15 14:23:20
    kydso
    Liberals should be on the extinct species list.
  • 12 Tone Melody 2009/08/15 11:21:11
    12 Tone Melody
    +3
    Who will save the environment from the environmentalists?
  • diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy 2009/08/15 10:48:35
    diaverde08-AmericanKilljoy
    +2
    Let us starve for the sake of the environment.
  • rjmac7 2009/08/15 10:17:40
    rjmac7
    I love nature, but some things have reached the end of their time. I can not think of one person who was harmed because the Dodo bird or the Passenger Pigeon went extinct, or even the Dinosaur for that matter.

I would not be in favor of the wanton slaughter of the American Bison, but can you imagine the danger of having a herd of 100 thousand Buffalo stampeding through your Cornfield or down the Main Street of a small prairie town? Their time has passed and the environment and space they inhabited no longer exists.
  • Astro-Boy PHAET 2009/08/15 09:15:21
    Astro-Boy PHAET
    +2
    Turn on the water...easy choice. This isn' a liberal or Conservative issue. It's an American Issue. So really stop trying to label everything as such.
  • safari 2009/08/15 09:08:26
    safari
    +2
    I love nature and I care about endangered species a lot but this is ridiculous! People first!
  • xx *still chiki in my heart* 2009/08/14 19:55:26
    xx *still chiki in my heart*
    +1
    Wow, I live in Ca. and I haven't seen this. This is terrible. This goes too far. Does anyone have an explanation for this?
  • Jeremy xx *sti... 2009/08/14 22:51:08
    Jeremy
    +1
    I hate to sound like a broken record but this has been happening in the pacific northwest for the last couple of decades. Not surprising you didn't hear about it on national news. If it doesn't directly effect the political elite in washington dc, new york, or LA - or get some sensational ratings, they simply don't feel the need to report about us peasants. The problem here lies in the legislation. When the endangered species act was passed it gave the powerful environmental lobbies (not to mention the fed govt) a legal means to do whatever they want on both private and public land. I have yet to see a scenario in which the ESA was utilized to actually improve the environment. Oregon's logging industry was destroyed to save a spotted owl that wasn't actually in any danger of dying. I've personally seen them nest in pole barns and rock cliffs - they don't require an 80 yr old dead tree for their survival. Those same forests are now as unhealthy as they've ever been. Overgrown, beetle killed, and waiting for a lightning strike because they weren't managed with common sense. Environmental lobby groups despise the fact that private ranchers can lease public ground for grazing. So what do they do...lobby to get the wolf put on the endangered species list and then reintro...
    I hate to sound like a broken record but this has been happening in the pacific northwest for the last couple of decades. Not surprising you didn't hear about it on national news. If it doesn't directly effect the political elite in washington dc, new york, or LA - or get some sensational ratings, they simply don't feel the need to report about us peasants. The problem here lies in the legislation. When the endangered species act was passed it gave the powerful environmental lobbies (not to mention the fed govt) a legal means to do whatever they want on both private and public land. I have yet to see a scenario in which the ESA was utilized to actually improve the environment. Oregon's logging industry was destroyed to save a spotted owl that wasn't actually in any danger of dying. I've personally seen them nest in pole barns and rock cliffs - they don't require an 80 yr old dead tree for their survival. Those same forests are now as unhealthy as they've ever been. Overgrown, beetle killed, and waiting for a lightning strike because they weren't managed with common sense. Environmental lobby groups despise the fact that private ranchers can lease public ground for grazing. So what do they do...lobby to get the wolf put on the endangered species list and then reintroduce them (plant more of them) into the wilderness of idaho. Since its illegal to hunt or kill endangered species they figured it would even the playing field and make life miserable for the ranchers. The plan backfired and the wolves multiplied and migrated faster than intended. They've become such a nuisance and danger to the existing ecosystem that they were removed from the endangered list and fish and game had to go out and kill several packs. Don't get me started on the WWII vet farmers in klamath falls oregon who were denied water for their crops to save a sucker fish that supposedly couldn't spawn in the largest lake in the state. The result? Farms, fields, ditches, canals, and wetlands dried up near the lower klamath wildlife refuge. This is one of the biggest and most frequent stopovers for waterfowl in the entire pacific flyway. I've come to realize that no matter how it is masked or presented, all legislation from our government is designed for one purpose only - power and control - regardless of the party who passes it. (see no child left behind, patriot act, bank bailouts, stimulus package, cap & trade, universal health care, etc.) Every one of them gives more power to the govt or its surrogate agencies. Can anyone name a bill in the last 20 years that DECREASED the power of the government? I think that's what our founding fathers would be doing right now if they were still around.
  • TruBluT... Jeremy 2009/08/15 22:08:12
    TruBluTopaz
    +1
    My cousin has a degree in agriculture and forestry. He said that for the last ten or so years, environmental actions have been the main cause for the horrific wild fires. Prior to that time, forestry services in national parks would periodically go through and eliminate deadfall and underbrush which are basically the same a gasoline to a fire. But the environmental groups made them stop that practice along with clearcutting some firebreaks using loss of habitat to endangered species as the reason. There are also studies that show planting of trees actually increases the temperature in some hot regions and may create more problems than they solve when they are not appropriate to the region. My husband works in communications and many manufacturing faclities for this high tech industry have left California and other environmentally controlled states due to the higher cost of production and the limitations on production. Maybe that has something to do with California's economic meltdown.
  • Rashad 2009/08/14 18:40:48
    Rashad
    +2
    Fuc-ing liberals
  • Ripped1X... 2009/08/14 16:08:01
    Ripped1X...
    +3
    This is typical of the wacko lefts knee jerk reactions. They never look at the big picture and instead of admitting they F'ed Up again they defend their lunacy until it turns into a full blown crisis. Unfortunately this is common with government in general.
  • ♐☆ ♥ De... Ripped1... 2009/08/15 22:33:12
    ♐☆ ♥ Deni ♥☆♐
    +1
    starving out the masses
  • top of ... ♐☆ ♥ De... 2009/09/03 00:26:47
    top of the food chain
    +1
    I think not...we could have nice little buffet with all the "endangered animals and plants..." Right? YUMMY...THis has nothing to do with fish...it is the progressives doing what they do best...ban ddt...and kill millions of people around the world from MOSQUITOS...cut off water and starve out hundreds of millions of people worldwide...hmmm...see where this is going...then THEY ...the elite...can have the planet all to themselves...

2014/08/21 02:31:34