Was the Bible influenced by Greek mythology?

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2011/04/09 15:13:41
they may have borrowed (without permission) some from the Greeks and other Cultures
Greek mythology  is thousands of years older than the bible so yes they did
No it's just a coincidence that the bible has stories in it from other cultures from around the world its just a  coincidence!!!
No I dont think so
In looking at the many world’s religions, one can find similarities at nearly every turn in the stories. Most involve the world being created by a higher power, a separation of that higher power from mankind, a great flood that covered the land at one time, a human representation of that higher power, an emphasis on war and some way of redemption. While myths differ from religions in that religion is a more all-encompassing term many mythological accounts of events, especially Greek mythology, correlate with those in the Christian Bible. In both accounts, the female character is said to be the one who brings the separation of man and God. The Bible states that Eve fell victim to the temptation of Satan through tasting the forbidden fruit from the Tree of Knowledge. In the Greek version, it is Pandora who, out of curiosity, opens the jar where all of the evils of mankind are kept. Probably the one that stands out the most is the accounts of a great Flood.

Further reading: http://www.bestofalltopics.com/was-the-bible-influenced-by-gr...

• Uncle Joe 2011/04/09 18:04:56
    Uncle Joe
    +6
    The "NEW" Testiment was originally written in Greek; wouldn't that be a dead give away?

• daniel 2014/10/07 03:05:40
    No I dont think so
    daniel
    THE BIBLE IS THE TRUTH AND GREEK MYTHOLOGY ARE MADE UP STORIES
  • smakie Jo 2012/07/03 01:57:01
    No I dont think so
    smakie Jo
    They were all in the same era, every culture writes history with their own perceptions. I am a true believer in scripture and think that the Greeks saw things differently and put the "Pagan" slant on things.
  • This is W³ 2012/05/21 07:10:52
    they may have borrowed (without permission) some from the Greeks and other Cu...
    This is W³
    Honestly, I don't have the slightest freakin' idea.
  • reaper 2012/05/12 23:59:13
    reaper
    Christianity does take some elements of Greek and Roman Mythology, thats well known. but I would say the earlier books take more from Sumerian.
  • ♌βļąƈʞƦơșƐ3033♌ 2012/05/12 23:56:12
  • Ashley 2011/10/17 23:03:15
    No I dont think so
    Ashley
    The Bible DEFINITELY was NOOOOOOOT influenced by Greek mythology and no Greek mythology is NOT older than the Bible! Also, the Bible did NOT steal the Greek's views for Christianity's religion.....if anything the Greeks stole the Bible's views or tried convincing the Greeks that they were still believing in the Bible though it had obviously been distorted. The Bible was around even before Greece was a country! For example, Genesis through Deuteronomy is "The Law" which God gave to Moses; that obviously was written before Greek mythology because Greece wasn't a country yet....one has to look at the Bible from history because, the Bible IS man's history.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Ashley 2011/10/18 00:55:12
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    Obviously you dont read history much

Greek ,Babylonian and Egyptian and Persian Cultures and civilizations existed Thousands of years before the bible was ever written Before Judaism

https://www.sodahead.com/livi...

The Old and New Testament stories can all be traced back to Ancient Egyptian Pagan Rituals
  • Ashley ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/10/19 19:59:03
    Ashley
    Well, that's kind of a lie because this is actually what we're studying in history class right now and what I'm also doing for my honors classes(English 10pg paper and History slideshow presentation) so I think I am reading history much. Also, the Bible was written during Judaism because Judaism started with Abraham when God made the covenant with him to 1) make a great nation out of him(Jerusalem), 2) bless his seed, and 3) give him the promised land (which is exactly where Moses delivered the Israelites to-the promised land, Canaan)

You're twisting the facts about the Old Testament stories. Moses for example, was a Jew, but was brought up under the Egyptian Pharoh and his daughter because the Pharoh made a decree that all the new born Hebrew boys were to be killed. Why? Because the Hebrew slaves at this point and time were reaching the millions and Pharoh was afraid that they would overthrow him (and they were probably strong if they were forced to make all the stones from scratch and then to carry it all and make the structures dedicated to Pharoh.) Anywho, I'm getting distracted.....My point is that, yes there is Egyptian paganism is the Old Testament because the plagues which God through Moses brought upon the Egyptian people attacked one of the Egyptian gods.....I could ...

You're twisting the facts about the Old Testament stories. Moses for example, was a Jew, but was brought up under the Egyptian Pharoh and his daughter because the Pharoh made a decree that all the new born Hebrew boys were to be killed. Why? Because the Hebrew slaves at this point and time were reaching the millions and Pharoh was afraid that they would overthrow him (and they were probably strong if they were forced to make all the stones from scratch and then to carry it all and make the structures dedicated to Pharoh.) Anywho, I'm getting distracted.....My point is that, yes there is Egyptian paganism is the Old Testament because the plagues which God through Moses brought upon the Egyptian people attacked one of the Egyptian gods.....I could go into detail but that would take a while, unless you're really interested.....so, to say that the Old Testament can be traced back to Egyptian pagan rituals is false, but it does contain some because the Jewish people sinned but God punished them and forgave them and get them back on track.....wording is very key here.
  • daniel Ashley 2014/10/07 03:07:02
    daniel
    +1
    SOO TRUE
  • sherbear 2011/07/02 04:55:24 (edited)
    sherbear
    most definitely
  • Juanb 2011/07/02 04:52:55
    Juanb
    it was necessary to create the religion , but thats not as important as the content
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2011/06/29 04:40:26
    No I dont think so
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    No, not really
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... ~Hopele... 2011/07/01 15:23:20
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    oh yes it was duh

shall i show you some proof?
  • ~Hopele... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/07/01 23:53:24
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    No thanks
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... ~Hopele... 2011/07/02 04:50:19
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    you dont want proof whats the matter Afraid of knowing the truth
  • ~Hopele... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/07/02 20:26:02
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    No, its because I don't think it will change how I think at all.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... ~Hopele... 2011/07/02 04:51:23 (edited)
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    The Creation of the Earth
    and the Great Flood

according to
    Greek and Roman Mythology
    from The Metamorphoses of Ovid
    2000 years OLDER THAN THE BIBLE

Before there was earth or sea or heaven, there existed only chaos: shapeless, unorganized, lifeless matter. There was no sun, no moon, and no air. Elements existed, but they had neither form nor character. The earth was without firmness, the water without fluidity, and the sky without light.

There was opposition in all things: hot conflicted with cold, wet with dry, heavy with light, and hard with soft.

Finally a god, a natural higher force, resolved this conflict, separating earth from heaven, parting the dry land from the waters, and dividing the clear air from the clouds, thus organizing all things into a balanced union. In the highest sphere he made a heavenly vault of weightless and untainted ether. The next lower region he filled with air, light but not without substance. Then came the heavy earth, which sank down under its own weight and was encircled by the sea.

Thus did the god, whichever god it was, set order to the chaotic mass by separating it into its components, then organizing them into a harmonious whole.

Then the god shaped the earth into a great ball and caused the seas to spread in one direction and the other. He created ...

The Creation of the Earth
    and the Great Flood

according to
    Greek and Roman Mythology
    from The Metamorphoses of Ovid
    2000 years OLDER THAN THE BIBLE

Then the god shaped the earth into a great ball and caused the seas to spread in one direction and the other. He created springs, pools, and lakes, then formed rivers, causing them to flow toward the seas. He flattened out the plains, caused valleys to sink down, and pushed up mountains from the level places.

The earth he organized into five zones, the same number that exist in heaven, which is divided into two regions on the right, two on the left, and one in the center. On earth the middle zone is too hot for habitation and the two outer zones are too cold, but between these extremes the god created two temperate zones where heat and cold are balanced.

Beneath the ether and above the earth hangs the air, where the god formed mist and clouds, placing thunderbolts within the clouds. To each of the four winds he assigned limits and purpose. He caused the stars, which heretofore had been veiled in darkness, to shine forth across the sky.

The waters he filled with fishes, the earth with wild animals, and the air with birds. But none of these creatures approached the gods in intelligence; none could rightly be called master over all the others.

Then man was born. Either the god who had created this better earth made man from divine seed, or Prometheus, molded an image of the gods from a clump of earth that had been newly separated from the ether and thus still retained some divine qualities. Whoever created man, this new being was made to stand erect with his eyes directed toward heaven and the stars, unlike other animals who hang their heads and gaze toward the ground.

The first age of man was a golden age, during which men did what was right without laws and without the threat of punishment. No one strayed far from home. Everyone lived at peace with his neighbors, and the earth itself gave up its fruits without cultivation or labor. Berries, fruits, grains, and flowers abounded although the land remained untilled. Rivers flowed with milk and nectar, and honey dripped from the trees. Springtime was the only season.

When Saturn lost his rule to Jove this golden age on earth gave way to a silver age. Jove, the sky god, shortened springtime and added the seasons of summer, fall, and winter. The earth now yielded its bounty of grain only from plowed fields, made fruitful by the labor of man and beast.

Then came an age of bronze. Just as bronze is harder than silver, men were now more disposed toward warfare than heretofore.

Finally came an age of iron, a metal baser and harder than gold, silver, or bronze. Now the natural virtues of man gave way to baser, harsher qualities. Modesty, truth, and loyalty were replaced by treachery, deceit, and greed. Sailors now traversed the seas seeking new lands and power. Men sought wealth in foreign places and from beneath the earth, wealth that in turn became the cause of much wickedness and suffering. Friend betrayed friend, and relative turned against relative.

The conflict on earth threatened even heaven. Legends tell how at that time giants attempted an attack on the realm of the gods by piling mountains together to reach the sky. Jove defended his heavenly kingdom with a mighty thunderbolt, which destroyed the tower of mountains, crushing the giants beneath it as it fell. Torrents of blood flowed forth from their bodies, drenching the earth. It is said that from this blood-soaked earth was born a new breed of men, who like their giant forebears had no respect for the gods.

Looking down from his kingdom in the sky, Jove saw that mankind was now hopelessly violent and cruel. He called together his council, and they came to him forthwith, traveling that famous bright path across heaven's vault, the Milky Way. Jove angrily demanded that the utterly corrupt human race be destroyed, promising that afterward he himself would supervise the creation of a new stock of men. The gods sadly agreed that only this extreme act would solve the threat of mankind's wickedness.

Jove was about to strike the earth with a barrage of thunderbolts when he realized that the conflagration caused by such an attack might threaten heaven itself, so he resolved to destroy the earth's inhabitants by water instead of by fiery lightning. To this end he fettered the North Wind, then charged the South Wind to bring forth endless rains. Jove's brother Neptune, god of the seas, caused the tides and the waves to rise upon the land and the rivers to overflow their banks.

Man and beast alike fell prey to the ever-rising flood. Orchards and planted fields were washed away. Houses and other buildings were either demolished by the crashing waves or submerged beneath a sea that had no shores. Not even the temples and sacred images were spared. The birds themselves, their wings finally tiring from continuous flight, in the end were forced to surrender to watery graves.

In the end only one place on earth remained above water: the twin summits of Mount Parnassus. It was here that the small boat carrying Deucalion and his wife Pyrrha ran aground. They alone had survived the great deluge.

When Jove saw that only one man and one woman were still alive on earth, and that this husband and this wife were virtuous people, both true worshippers, he released the North Wind and caused it to dissipate the storms and clouds. Then Neptune called upon Triton to recall the tides and waves with a signal from his conch-shell trumpet.

The earth was now restored, but lifeless, desolate, and empty. Deucalion and Pyrrha, seeing that they were the only living beings left on earth, sought guidance by going together to the Waters of Cephissus, which were again flowing in their usual channel. They sprinkled themselves with this holy water, then entered the temple and asked for assistance. The answer came through an oracle that they should leave the temple and scatter behind them their mothers' bones.

Deucalion could not believe his ears, and Pyrrha stated aloud that she would never dishonor her mother's spirit by thus disturbing her bones. Deucalion, however, thought that the words of the oracle were not to be taken literally, that the mother mentioned was not a human mother, but rather mother earth, and that the bones to be scattered were stones from the earth's body. Deciding to put this interpretation to the test, Deucalion and Pyrrha scattered behind them stones from the earth.

No one would believe what happened afterward, if it were not for the testimony of ancient legends. The stones, once thrown to the ground, lost their hardness and assumed human forms. Those scattered by Deucalion became male, and those scattered by Pyrrha became female. And thus the earth was repopulated.

Then through the natural process of warmth and moisture and earth reacting with one another the lower animals were reborn as well. Yes, fire and water are opposites, but moist heat is the source of all living things. Creation comes about through the resolution of opposing forces.
  • Ashley ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/10/19 15:54:01
    Ashley
    +1
    Ok 1st of all, Greek mythology has been around since 2000 BC, not 2000 yrs before the Bible because Job is the oldest book and it was written before Abraham in the Land of Ur where Job is believed to have lived. This already proved Greek mythology, but I will continue. 2nd, i have an issue with your arguement because, you said "Before there was earth or sea or heaven, there existed only chaos:", but then you turn right around and say that "elements existed" but without form and "the earth was without firmness," etc....well if you're going to say "before the earth" and then say that the earth wasn't firm YET, you've already contradicted yourself. 3rd, if this god you're talking about had to bring chaos into order, how did the chaos get there? who created IT? 4th, don't you think it insulting to call yourself a "clump of earth"? I personally would NOT be proud to say that I believe I am; rather, I WOULD be proud to say that God who loves me formed me very carefully and specifically and knew me before I was even formed in my mother's womb. Also, throughout your arguement, you say "whoever created" and "whatever god it was", but doesn't that bother you that you aren't sure? I feel confidence knowing for sure that there is 1 God out there who did it all. Also, the background you gi...

Ok 1st of all, Greek mythology has been around since 2000 BC, not 2000 yrs before the Bible because Job is the oldest book and it was written before Abraham in the Land of Ur where Job is believed to have lived. This already proved Greek mythology, but I will continue. 2nd, i have an issue with your arguement because, you said "Before there was earth or sea or heaven, there existed only chaos:", but then you turn right around and say that "elements existed" but without form and "the earth was without firmness," etc....well if you're going to say "before the earth" and then say that the earth wasn't firm YET, you've already contradicted yourself. 3rd, if this god you're talking about had to bring chaos into order, how did the chaos get there? who created IT? 4th, don't you think it insulting to call yourself a "clump of earth"? I personally would NOT be proud to say that I believe I am; rather, I WOULD be proud to say that God who loves me formed me very carefully and specifically and knew me before I was even formed in my mother's womb. Also, throughout your arguement, you say "whoever created" and "whatever god it was", but doesn't that bother you that you aren't sure? I feel confidence knowing for sure that there is 1 God out there who did it all. Also, the background you give from Greek mythology(about man and the flood) is stolen and twisted right from Genesis 1-11.
    Also, how can you say that ancient legends gave testimony to Deucalion and Pyrrha re-populating the earth? A legend is a story and I'm pretty sure a story doesn't witness anything; rather it tells something that a "person" witnessed....but if they were the only two people than nobody could have witnessed it! This is why it makes more scense to say that Noah and his wife and his 3sons (Ham, Shem, and Japheth and their wives) all survived because then Ham went to Northern Africa and the south west areas of the Mediterranean coast; Shem went to the Persian Gulf area and India; and Japheth went west into Europe. Much more logical to say that they just had kids and continued to populate rather than "magically" throwing stones and people appearing....plus, there's more ppl then to tell their experience of being saved by God in the ark from the great Flood after having more kids and then the story is spread throughout the known world at that time because the 3sons spread out amongst the earth. This is waaaaaay more logical than what you're presenting.
    And another thing, most of Greek mythology goes against science. DNA or RNA is what makes up living things not heat and moisture(water), that's what makes up water molecules though! (in a very, VERY broad termanology) The human body for example is composed of so many intricate pieces of DNA, nerve systems, cells, organs, etc; not just a bunch of rocks that were thrown over a human's shoulders and magically became all of what a human being is. Finally, I would have to disagree that creation does not "come about through the resolution of opposing forces," but rather there is a God, one and only, who is sovereign and loves and cares about me and took the time to "make man in His own image." (Gen 1) not having his servant take clay and make man w/little care....also, the earth only does things because God tells it to; He created it therefore "even the winds and the sea obey Him." (Matthew 8:27) "Mother Earth" does not exist, and the earth itself does not choose what it wants to do....it's told. These are only a few points that disprove Greek mythology and I believe I have argued all the points important enough that you have made. I therefore am proud to say that I believe in the Bible and the one TRUE God.
  • BurntOf... Ashley 2011/10/20 19:14:48
    BurntOffering
    I didnt say the above
  • daniel ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2014/10/07 03:08:24
    daniel
    +3
    you are wrong the Bible is right and greek mythology is a myth
  • King of the woodland realm 2011/04/19 00:48:04
    King of the woodland realm
    totally
  • Anna E 2011/04/17 23:05:57
    No it's just a coincidence that the bible has stories in it from other cultur...
    Anna E
    +1
    lol And if you believe that then there's this bridge in Cali I would like to sell you:

lol bridge cali sell
  • Jrogers 2011/04/15 05:06:28
    Jrogers
    Absolutely
  • BurntOffering 2011/04/12 14:12:25
    Greek mythology is thousands of years older than the bible so yes they did
    BurntOffering
    The Bible even mentions a Goddess
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... BurntOf... 2011/07/01 15:25:11
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    actually mentions Several by name
    Gaea , Athena Hera Freya Asherah and a few others
  • BurntOf... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/07/01 18:13:45
    BurntOffering
    Where in the Bible does it talk about Gaea or Hera?
  • Ashley BurntOf... 2011/10/19 15:56:52
    Ashley
    +1
    just because it mentions it does not make it true....I talk about Greek mythology because while I believe they are facts and I enjoy them, I do not believe it is Truth. So, this fact that you give does not really help argue your opinion at all.
  • BurntOf... Ashley 2011/10/20 19:13:48
    BurntOffering
    Heck; that make no sense. how could it be fact but not truth?
  • Myrle Hulme 2011/04/12 08:10:31
    No I dont think so
    Myrle Hulme
    I think a cabal of old men, who thought the should make rules and fables to keep people in line
  • Endryas 2011/04/12 06:42:09
    No I dont think so
    Endryas
    do any one knows what is BIBLE !!!?
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Endryas 2011/04/12 12:22:34
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    Byblos the greek Sun God Apollo Daughter Byblos was the Scriptor of the gods
    she was to write down all knowledge and be the libarian of the gods
    Byblos is where we get the word Bible from

her more ancient name is Astarte which means Evening star
    she was such a popular goddess she had an entire city named after her
    called Byblosian of present-day Lebanon under the current Arabic name of (جبيل Jubayl)
    it is believed by many to be the oldest continuously-inhabited city in the world.
  • Jrogers ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/04/15 05:06:02
    Jrogers
    Wow....you really are into this subject matter.....I had not heard of Byblos until now
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Jrogers 2011/04/15 05:08:36
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +4
    well you call them myths but this is my religion i am a pagan the stories of the greek and roman and egyptian and celtic and norse gods are my religion
    it sounds weird but hey our stories are more intresting than a 2000 year old Snooze fest of a bible
  • Anna E ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/04/17 23:11:43
    Anna E
    lol Well, gods and stuff are what myths are made of. You mixed a little historical fact in. But there's nothing wrong with mythology anyway, they're a great teaching and learning tool. :)
    I agree that as far as myths go, the Bible has some pretty humdrum ones and there are loads that are much better.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Anna E 2011/04/18 00:28:33
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    The Story of Osirus Osirus dies reincarnated as his son horus who is born via a virgin birth by Osirus wife Isis who becomes Horus mother
    Osirus is Horus reincarnated the virgin birth story
    Horus is later killed by Seth the god of chaos dies for 3 days returns
    12 apostles find Horus help him build an army to defeat Seths Army
    Horus heals the sick the wounded preforms miracles
    keeping the sand storms of Seth away from the people of Eygpt
    in a city while healing those stuck by disease caused by Seth
    sees a prositute being attacked by men
    they tell horus she is a whore and deserves to die
    Horus replies let he who has commited no sin cast the first stone

horus then fights seths army defeats them
    fights Seth loses an eye later restored
    Seth loses his Testicles
  • Radical Ed ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/04/21 16:44:17
    Radical Ed
    "Seth loses his Testicles" poor guy

anyway really interesting stuff there, learn sumin new every day.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Radical Ed 2011/04/21 16:47:38
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    Seth is a jerk he annoys the egyptians alot eventually he gets an army from Eithopia and detroys lower eygpt but the eygptians fight back viciously
  • Ashley ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/10/19 16:14:36
    Ashley
    +2
    Ok, what you're telling, is the Egyptian version of the Life of Jesus......He was born first so the Egyptians took this idea from Him and the Bible....Jesus was virgin born of Mary and Joseph was His earthly father while God was His heavenly father. He grew up in Nazareth with His parents and when He reached the age of about 30 He began His mission by recruiting 12 men the disciples (Simon Peter, Andrew, James, John, Phillip, Thomas, Matthew, James, Thaddias, Simon, Judah, Bartholemu(sp) ) Jesus did heal the sick, but more importantly, He healed their souls by saving them; He only healed their ailments for 2 reasons. 1: they had faith that He WAS the Messiah and COULD heal them, or 2: to show His power as the Savior and Son of God in hopes of bringing others to salvation......Also, you're mixing so many of Jesus' stories in a completely wrong order! Also, Jesus did not lose His testicles He just never had children! It was not His reason for being on earth and therefore did not marry or have children! (Besides! What woman would have married him if He was constantly moving from city to city and did not have a place to call home! And if you think about it, did any of the disciples marry? No, because they were constantly moving with Jesus....not because they became eunuchs.)
  • Ashley ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/10/19 16:02:47
    Ashley
    +3
    so you chose this religion because it was interesting not on whether or not it was truthful and logical? Hmmmm.....and, if you say the Bible is 2000 years old, than doesn't that make it just as old as Greek mythology??? (even the Bible is older than 2000 years old) Also, you listed quite a few religions that you say you believe, but them in themselves contradict each other because each nation (Greece, Rome, etc) changed it a little to match what they wanted and to equal their time period. (For example, the Greek gods are more focused on literature, wisdom, morality, etc; and the Roman gods are focused more on being brutal, harsh, and warlike.) Sooooooo if you say you believe all of these, than your religion contradicts itself.....I don't know about you, but that would bother me.....and actually, the Bible isn't boring! It's just in old English, but does that mean that Shakespeare and the other authors of ancient time periods are boring as well? No!
  • Fraschy ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2011/04/18 00:37:08
    Fraschy
    How do you pronounce Astarte?

2014/10/20 22:02:27