Victoria Beckham Says Her Figure Represents the 'General Public': Does It?

The Big Question 2012/03/31 00:57:19
Related Topics: Victoria Beckham

• Cassie.Anna.Cary 2012/04/24 17:38:13
  • Pat 2012/04/23 23:32:21
    Obviously, she hasn't taken the subway or gone to a beach lately.
  • rev0lution 2012/04/23 08:45:43
    rev0lution
    her figure sucks not saying i like fatties but a woman needs to be a woman and have some curves otherwise your a effectively a 12 year old boy
  • Rachel Thomas 2012/04/14 16:37:29
    Rachel Thomas
    Has she seen the British general public recently? I have and they're FAT! That's not to say I like her physique either. I think she's too much the other way and apart from that I don't like her personality. She's got a mean little face and no class. She carries on like she's Jackie Kennedy or someone but I'm afraid she isn't.She's just a chav.
  • cddjmikey 2012/04/07 18:24:01
    cddjmikey
    If it really did you wouldn't be able to get the smile off my face with a nuclear bomb !!!!!!!!!
  • Alice Hatter 2012/04/04 17:38:20
    Alice Hatter
    Who da hell do she think she is?! not every single woman in the world has a waistline like she does damn it!!
  • Cindy 2012/04/04 12:51:49
    Cindy
    Hell no ...She's like a stick figure
  • the fuze 2012/04/04 11:25:06
    the fuze
    But then what kind of a statement were you looking for from Victoria Beckham??? One in touch with the "general public" or an intelligent one??? Well you'll be waiting a long time folks.
  • G 2012/04/04 09:52:31
    G
    That makes her completely out of here mind. So yes.
  • La 2012/04/04 05:53:45
    La
    Wish it did.
  • Dynasty Fighter 2012/04/04 04:31:39
    Dynasty Fighter
    Not really
  • Kozman 2012/04/04 01:54:03
    Kozman
    Lets hope an eraser doesn't touch her.
    She is certainly very attractive but she is also very thin
  • Louis Contreras 2012/04/04 01:05:07
    Louis Contreras
    +1
    Most celebrities do not relate to anything connected to realty.
  • tweet_tweet 2012/04/04 00:25:54
    tweet_tweet
    +3
    My bad, I meant no. Sorry, Victoria Beckham, get away from celebrities and soccer players' wives for a day. Being a size 2 with fake DD titties is not representative of women outside of your bubble.
  • ♥K14 2012/04/03 21:50:42
    ♥K14
    +1
    Maybe she lives in here...
    twiglets
  • Michelle Pfeiff 2012/04/03 20:38:56
    Michelle Pfeiff
    +2
    I do not feel she is representative of the "average" woman, which is not to say that she doesn't represent a portion of women. But, I feel she's quite thin and a statement like that helps feed in to society's notion that women should be thin. I wear a size 6 pant and I would feel fat next to her.
  • GELU-CIUDIN-LYING BASTARD 2012/04/03 19:42:34
    GELU-CIUDIN-LYING BASTARD
    word of advice posh spice...eat a proper meal ya skinny bitch.....
  • BrittInTx 2012/04/03 18:03:04
    BrittInTx
    Sure the general public on crack or the general public with thousands in their back pocket that can have a personal trainer and chef. That's ridiculous. Beckham needs to go throw up the oreos she just binged on.
  • Stef an... BrittInTx 2012/04/04 06:00:57 (edited)
    Stef and the City
    +1
    Yes, because everyone who is thin or physically fit is a crack addict or cokehead and has a personal trainer or chef...
    Keep telling yourself that North America.
  • BrittInTx Stef an... 2012/04/04 15:22:13
    BrittInTx
    I'm not saying that in a literal sense, jeez, lighten up. But the emphasis that people still put on size 0 being the 'in' thing is just not reality. I personally wear a size 2 or 4, depending on the designer but several of my friends are size 12 or over - they are proud beautiful, successful women.
  • Stef an... BrittInTx 2012/04/04 19:28:19
    Stef and the City
    +1
    Am I missing something here ...? You wear a size 2-4 yet you were seemingly adamant about how women who are slender or a size 0 must be drug addicts or have personal trainers and chefs and now you're saying that you don't 'really' feel that way? That makes size ZERO sense.
  • Kitty 2012/04/03 08:36:04 (edited)
    Kitty
    Her comment has to be a joke or she is completely deluded.

Victoria Beckham
  • La Kitty 2012/04/04 05:55:49
    La
    +1
    Diluted? Mixed with water?
  • Stef an... La 2012/04/04 05:59:46
    Stef and the City
    +1
    Bahaha.
  • La Stef an... 2012/04/07 05:05:02
    La
    +1
    Weird that she blocked me immediately. I don't think I was that offensive.
  • Stef an... La 2012/04/07 06:22:56
    Stef and the City
    Me neither.
  • MonuvediMonu 2012/04/03 07:41:53
    MonuvediMonu
    +1
    but why victoria.
  • Stef and the City 2012/04/03 04:33:10 (edited)
    Stef and the City
    +5
    Yes and no. It's true, Victoria is quite thin or skinny, whichever you want to call it but the thing is, some women ARE naturally thin/skinny and to them that is normal and noone should hate them for that just like we shouldn't dislike a woman for being voluptuous or curvy nor should we tell them that it's abnormal. So long as she is healthy and isn't starving herself or suffering from an eating disorder then what's the problem? Maybe people are telling themselves she's wrong because it's easier to do that then to accept the fact that so many of us North Americans are overweight or obese and that's not normal either, even less so actually. Just saying...

Oh yeah, and REAL WOMEN come in many shapes and sizes. I don't think Jennifer Aniston is any less woman because she is physically fit and thin...
    Jen
  • cherryphi Stef an... 2012/04/03 16:07:10
    cherryphi
    Posh spice doesn’t represent the general public because she’s a privileged celebrity, and she has had certain body “modifications” not the mention the fact that she is wealthy enough to employ personal trainers, fitness gurus and dieticians. Most people don’t have that kind of money.
    As for the real woman argument, I agree with you.Two wrongs don’t make a right. Real is a poor choice of word. Of course, real women come in all shapes, sizes, colors, etc…but this movement is not just about desirability but respectability. Women with longer leaner bodies are more respected than women with curvier and/or heavier bodies. Respect, meaning, they have the added advantage of being desired/seen as beautiful but not having the assumption made about you that you are trashy or lack competence.
  • Stef an... cherryphi 2012/04/03 16:56:44
    Stef and the City
    +2
    You're right about the privledged celebrity part. Truthfully, no celebrities should claim that they represent the general public in any sense. But I have to ask, if a naturally thin woman who wasn't a celebrity claimed that her figure represents the general public would others still have the same reaction? Something tells me yes. Whereas you said that curvier or heavier bodied women are referred to as trashy or lacking competence the women who have longer leaner bodies or are skinny are almost always accused of not eating enough, excessive dieting, anorexia etc which more often than not isn't the case.
  • cherryphi Stef an... 2012/04/03 18:43:03
    cherryphi
    +1
    You are correct, they would have the same reaction. But those of us who naturally don’t have a problem keeping the weight off do not represent the general public. I fall in to that category, and I get the accusations of excess dieting, which is both annoying and untrue.

I also agree that those begrudging that they need a lifestyle change should not deflect blame on those to whom it comes without much effort. Thing is, this issue is much larger than just weight or size; it’s also about shape, proportion and phenotype. The latter can determine your social status. For example, you are naturally thin, but you could have a DD chest and a bubble butt. That would make you an extremely curvy woman.

But a lot of the time when people say they are naturally thin, they also mean they have modest to no curves (AA to large B cup chest, non-tapered thighs, little hip to waist definition and no glutteal protrusion). This is called the ruler body shape, which can look effortlessly lean to emaciated because your metabolism is just that fast. People should neither have a problem with your body weight nor your shape. However, there is privilege associated with a certain weight and shape.

For many years, the ruler body shape was seen as the ideal, both in terms of respectability and desirability. W...

For many years, the ruler body shape was seen as the ideal, both in terms of respectability and desirability. Women who are overweight were (and still are) seen as undesirable. Women who have too much curve (very protruding butt and breasts) were seen as trashy. Add it together and you have ugly plus trashy (physical undesirability combined with moral deficiency). Not a good place to be. This conundrum can affect what jobs are available to you, how much money you make, what dating pool you have access to, and even where you live.

Women who are naturally thin with a ruler shape/modest curves are no less real than other women, but they do have certain privileges. So, when women try to say you aren’t “real” what they really mean is that you are more sheltered from some hits to your sense of respectability as a woman, which may make you less able to cope when your self-esteem is attacked. The solution to this is you taking responsibility for yourself by nourishing your self-worth, and knowing that you are beautiful, desirable, and competent. You’ll soon see that you have more in common with those that attack you than you thought.
  • Stef an... cherryphi 2012/04/03 21:58:31
    Stef and the City
    I have never thought of there as being an ideal body shape or a 'more desirable' shape or size since I have had girlfriends of all shapes and sizes and different men have desired each of them. Sure, more were drawn to some of us than others but many things are contributing factors such as personalities, facial features and even hair and eye color. I think everyone has a different perception of beauty. I know my idea of beauty probably differs greatly from yours. Regardless, whether someone may have in their head that being curvy makes you trashy and being heavier or skinny makes you this or that way we all need to stop picking on eachother and lately there's been more accusations and rumors and all around name calling toward fit, lean, thin or skinny women than before. I wonder which category women fall into who are naturally both thin and curvy, curvy meaning medium sized to larger breasts and some 'junk in the trunk'. If what you say is true, wouldn't that be considered a double threat?
  • SilveryRow Stef an... 2012/04/03 18:21:45 (edited)
    SilveryRow
    +4
    Very good answer! Villifying any healthy woman for her natural shape is obviously the wrong way to go. Throwing the phrase 'real women' around to put down slim ladies is just as unkind as calling curvy women fat. Why is it so difficult for so many people to accept this, I wonder.
  • Stef an... SilveryRow 2012/04/03 18:27:37
    Stef and the City
    I wonder this all the time myself.
  • Anonymous Coward218 2012/04/03 04:02:34
    Anonymous Coward218
    +2
    Far from it Vicki! Have ya BEEN outside lately? EVER been to a WalMart, Buffet, McDonalds or any other public area?
  • Kitty Anonymo... 2012/04/03 08:36:54
    Kitty
    +1
    lawlz!
  • POWERSHAKER 2012/04/03 03:32:48
  • cherryphi 2012/04/03 03:30:04
    cherryphi
  • gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/04/03 02:59:14
    gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F
    lol right!

2014/12/21 20:53:46