The 15 Most Frustrating Situations in Video Games!

The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2012/01/29 23:17:37
Posted Like a True Nerd! Enjoy Your Virginity!
I'm Cool I don't play Video Games

15. Not realizing you’re fighting enemies that will respawn indefinitely and wasting all your health and ammo trying to finish them all off

You weren’t supposed to win, you were supposed to run away. Unfortunately, the game decided to let you figure this out on your own. Since you’re a total fake badass and NEVER back down from a fake fight, you didn’t figure it out until you’d already unloaded clip after clip into the unending army of minions. Now you’re off to the next section of the game barely clinging to life. Annnnnnd it just auto-saved. Beautiful.

14. Running out of inventory slots

Gamers are hoarders by nature. We are obsessive collectors. Even useless items somehow find their way into our inventories, because hey, those can be sold for gold and we like collecting gold; even when we’ve already got all the best items in the game. Thus, a full inventory is our sworn enemy: You’re suddenly faced with the realization that you can’t keep all that phat loot you’ve been picking up along the way. Some particularly cruel games won’t even let you drop items, meaning you’ve got to run back to your item box any time you fill up. I’m looking at you, Resident Evil.

13. Finding out your PC can’t run a game you just bought

PC might be the hardcore gamer’s preferred platform, but at least console games always work. Unless you’ve got a few thousand dollars to blow on a top notch gaming rig, you’re bound to meet a title that’s too much game for your PC. There are few things (well, 12) more frustrating than spending your hard earned money on a game, only to experience such awful lag in the opening cinematic that it’s clearly going to be unplayable. And what if the title is PC exclusive? You can’t even play it on console! Now you’re spiraling into a deep depression and the police are trying to talk you down from the nearest tall building. Dramatic? WELL YOU PROBABLY GOTTO PLAY STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC INSTEAD OF HAVING IT LAG OUT ON YOUR YEAR OLD PC.

12. Getting killed while doing a move you didn’t mean to do

You’ve been playing the same section for hours and you’ve got the first three quarters of this boss fight down to muscle memory. Each attempt you get closer and closer. Except this time. You stabbed when you should have blocked and lost half your health before you could even put a dent into him. Now you’ll have to go back tothat save point before that cutscene and do it all over again. It’s easy enough to get killed when you’re performing at your best, so it’s maddening when a quick slip of the D-Pad sends you off a cliff or into the claws of an enemy. Why can’t your stupid hands just do what you tell them to do?

11. Dying because of a bug

At least when you die because of your own mistake you can learn from it and move on. When a lag spike or a bug causes you to lose a precious digital life, you’re left with nothing but a confused family wondering why you just screamed “WHAT THE FUCK?” at the top of your lungs in a room by yourself. But don’t worry, not all is lost. Now you can log onto Internet forums and bitch about this clearly unpolished game. Point you.

10. Almost done sneaking through a level then getting spotted by everyone at the end

Stealth levels can be enjoyable, but they’re always slow. By the time you’ve crawled your way through half of it you’re probably already itching to get back to blowing stuff up. So when you’ve expertly sneaked your way through an entire section only to get cocky at the end and blow your cover, it can be more than a little annoying. Now you’ll have to repeat the entire level that you literally just went through in slow motion. HAVE FUN!

9. Returning to an RPG months later and having no idea what you’re doing

Many a nerd will sink a disgusting amount of time into an RPG during a holiday weekend, get busy with work or school during the week, then return the next weekend only to find they have no idea what the fuck is going on. Without fail, our idiotic past selves have left us in the middle of the world map between missions. Guess we’ll just have to start entering random towns and talking to a bunch of NPCs in hope that one drops a clue. Or we’ll just stop playing all together. That’s probably more likely.

8. Having to install 25 updates the first time you turn on the game

You just waited two hours in line at a midnight release. It’s late and you’ve got work tomorrow, but you’ve been waiting a long time for this game, and damn it, you’re going to play it right now. But not so fast! The game has been out five minutes and somehow it’s already being patched. Now you’re watching the progress bar crawl as the clock moves closer and closer to your designated wake-up time. Frustrated, you shut the game off and promise to hold off until tomorrow. You spend the entire night staring at the wall, still not over your anticipation. The alarm clock goes off and you haven’t slept yet. Shit.

7. Escort missions

It would be one thing if the character you were protecting would act like a non-idiot and duck their head while following closely behind you. Instead, you’re usually escorting someone with a death wish. They somehow manage to fall behind and run ahead. While you’re ducking for cover, they’ll just stand and stare at you directly in the line of fire. It would give us great glee to let videogame Darwinism do its work and allow this character to meet his/her deserved fate, but alas, it would probably result in an instant Game Over. Why do game developers hate evolution?

6. Having to restart an entire mission because some stupidNPC caught a stray bullet

You’re dealing out lead like a motherfucking pencil factory. The level is almost over and you’re still at full health. But wait! What’s that? Looks like you mistook an innocent NPC for a terrorist and now you’ve got to start from scratch. Ugh. I get that a “good guy” shouldn’t kill innocent civilians, but is it really Game Over worthy? Is the world really doomed because one of the tutorial guys didn’t make it out alive? Videogame war is videogame hell and there are bound to be some digital casualties. They knew the risks when they signed on to be NPCs.

5. Having to backtrack for hours because you missed an item or key somewhere

Considering that today’s games practically spoon feed you, it’s amazing that this is still a problem. They won’t let you skip the intro or hour long tutorial, and yet, they’re totally cool with letting you blow right by that one crucial item. Attention game developers: I don’t need help figuring out that spacebar lets me jump, but feel free to let me know if I’m setting myself up for a 3 hour backtrack. Mirror mode is only OK in Mario Kart.

4. Screwing yourself over by saving your game at a bad time

At the ripe old age of 13, I attempted my first play-through of Resident Evil: Code Veronica. At one point, I saved when I was low on ammo, health, and out of herbs (give me a break, I was probably wearing JNCOs at the time). Little did I know that when I left that safe room, I’d find Tyrant blocking my path to the mansion. I didn’t have enough bullets to knock him down and my low health prevented me from knifing him. That was it. I only had room on my memory card for one precious save file and I totally ruined it. Eventually I got over my initial rage, regained my composure, and restarted the game. Eight years later.

3. A glitch prevents you from progressing

It’s not fair! You faced the challenge and you won. You get to move on now. THOSE ARE THE RULES. Instead, you’re stuck in a wall and NPC heads are spinning like they’re Emily fucking Rose. For a short moment, you convince yourself that this is something that will correct itself. Soon enough. Any second now. Annnny second. Right now. Riiiiight now. …No? Fuck.

2. Dying when you haven’t saved

You went through a long, easy stretch and couldn’t be slowed down by the five seconds it would have taken to pause and save. Such hubris! Then that surprise boss fight happened. Now that five seconds of save time seems extremely preferable to the several hours you’ll be spending retracing your steps. And since you’ve just been traumatized, you’ll be sure to stop and save every two minutes, further delaying your progress. Great job!

1. Accidentally hitting “yes” when an NPC asks you if you need them to repeat entire explanation

The worst thing about this is that it’s most likely to happen to the people who hate it the most. The reason you accidentally clicked “yes” is because you were scrolling with such fervor that the words simply ceased to be words. If you had even skimmed the text, you would have seen the question and answered with a resounding “NO.” Maybe it was your second play-through. Maybe the story was absolute bullshit and you wanted to get back to the gameplay. Either way, you’re reading it again. And now that you’re annoyed you’ll probably scroll through it even faster, make a mistake, and be forced read it for a third time.

• Jessica 2012/02/22 04:51:47
    Jessica
    +1
    +1 for AVGN
  • Keichi Morisato 2012/02/12 06:08:27
    Keichi Morisato
    +1
    im nerd to the BONE... ner ner ner nerd, nerd to the bone.
  • The Eli... Keichi ... 2012/02/12 23:06:02
  • Keichi ... The Eli... 2012/02/12 23:11:52
  • The Eli... Keichi ... 2012/02/12 23:29:03
  • Keichi ... The Eli... 2012/02/12 23:44:24
  • The Eli... Keichi ... 2012/02/22 20:48:40
  • Kemet Anubis 2012/02/02 20:28:16
    Kemet Anubis
    +1
    Haha! OMG! These all are the worst! XD
  • cassidysf 2012/02/01 05:34:19
    cassidysf
    +1
    wow, i know the pain that goes along with all of those.
  • The Eli... cassidysf 2012/02/01 22:48:35
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    But we all still play. It's insanity I tell you, Insanity? :)
  • cassidysf The Eli... 2012/02/03 00:13:53
    cassidysf
    +1
    yes, yes it is.
  • ►Cesar◄ 2012/01/31 19:31:23
    ►Cesar◄
    +3
    when you lose because the game did something stupid
  • Utall 2012/01/31 01:44:56
    Utall
    +2
    not knowing what to do next and moving around in circles for like 10 minutes.
  • The Eli... Utall 2012/02/01 22:47:48
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    Thank God For Walkthroughs.
  • Kemet A... Utall 2012/02/02 20:29:23
    Kemet Anubis
    +2
    Lolz! That's why I haven't played Zelda in weeks! I got stuck and have been too lazy to look it up.
  • The Eli... Kemet A... 2012/02/02 21:11:51
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    How about when you do look it up, and it tells you to do what you have been doing. GRRRR.
  • Sandman366 2012/01/30 17:51:24
    Sandman366
    +2
    15. Don't usually see that myself. Maybe I just know where to go?
    14. Every game with more items than you can hold at once, I often have this. "Well maybe I need this junk later on...or maybe I can add 402 gold to my pile of 425k at my chest in Breezehome (Skyrim, true, I could do basically anything and have enough money to buy out any shop you point me at, and still wanted money)
    13. Thankfully I've managed to avoid this for the most part, but that does still suck.
    12. No comment. /uberrage
    11. "Oh that's just BS!"
    10. "Seriously? THIS moron is the guy who spots me? The miniboss there doesn't notice me, but YOU do?!" (Doesn't usually happen to me, sneaking missions just get boring...)
    9. Sadly, I can probably tell what I was doing fairly quickly. Went back to an FFX game yesterday from a few months off and by where I was had a fairly good idea of what I was doing.
    8. Managed to avoid this so far, but it's also stupid.
    7. Don't usually have escort missions in what I play, though it is pretty stupid. Going back to them makes them far ahead, and catching up makes them far behind.
    6. I've managed to dodge that bullet. I suppose not signing on to be an NPC is why :)
    5. This is the NICE version of the real problem... What's the problem you ask? Couple of examples: FFX Celestial Wea...

12. No comment. /uberrage
    11. "Oh that's just BS!"
    5. This is the NICE version of the real problem... What's the problem you ask? Couple of examples: FFX Celestial Weapons (Tidus, Lulu, and Kimhari especially, Wakka's and Rikku's aren't too bad, Auron and Yuna have easy ones), FF12 Zodiac Spear (I don't even want the stupid thing) and Wyrmhero Blade (I will NEVER do that fishing minigame...I get stuck around area 3...), out of example for now. The whole "Do something mostly impossible twice in a row!" is extremely unfair.
    4. Brings back memories of FFX when I was going to fight Seymour (first fight), I quit playing FFX for a long time because I couldn't. Eventually started playing again, could tell there was no serious way of winning, then just went back to a previous save (I didn't always use the same slot, but I use tons of slots now because it was a WHILE back)
    3. But...but...but.....why didn't that work... Awesome. Can't do anything for that now.
    2. Wee! Easy junk! gobs and gobs of easy stuff! *ambush* WTF WAS THAT?! *Game over!*
    1. Oh please. That's nothing. Try doing "New Game" and having to go through the entire tutorial again. Without being able to skip anything. All talking has to be gone through, again. There's no skip. I want to scream "SHUT UP! I'VE HEARD/READ EVERYTHING MULTIPLE TIMES! You die in 20 minutes! I'm not longer sorry I can't help you, because you talk too much! You're annoying! SHUT UP!"
  • The Eli... Sandman366 2012/01/30 21:41:56
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    Now Tell us how you really feel. Don't hold back.
  • Sandman366 The Eli... 2012/01/30 23:53:23
    Sandman366
    +3
    AI Companions - 80% useless since they showed up.

Junk Items - Stuffing your inventory ever since you had one.

Sadistic Challenges - Causing 80% of ragequits and broken controllers since you started trying them.

Insignificant Enemies: Spotting and slaughtering you since you tried leaving no trace.

Maps & Directions: We're going where?

Release Day Updates - Ruining your midnight releases since patches and midnight releases have existed.
  • The Eli... Sandman366 2012/01/31 01:12:36
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    Tell me more!
  • Sandman366 The Eli... 2012/01/31 13:29:29
    Sandman366
    +2
    I Wanna Be The Guy - The only way this could be worse...is if there was a trollface.

Clueless Pause - You should've written a note of what you were doing, seriously.

Games without a "Save & Quit" - Making you leave games on overnight because you want to stay where you were. (I've got over 800h on FFX from that!)
  • The Eli... Sandman366 2012/02/01 22:49:56
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    That last one is one of the worst.
  • Sandman366 The Eli... 2012/02/02 13:27:47
    Sandman366
    +1
    I could never have a PS3 because of overheating. I'd leave my PS2 on overnight all the time. Even on some game WITH a save&quit...because I didn't want to wait for the stupid screens to get back to the game... :)
  • The Eli... Sandman366 2012/02/02 21:13:06
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    I've never had that problem with PS3, and I have a first generation.
  • Sandman366 The Eli... 2012/02/03 13:19:15
    Sandman366
    +1
    I heard if you left a PS3 on for 24h or so it'd overheat. Maybe you've got good air flow where yours is...
  • The Eli... Sandman366 2012/02/03 21:54:02
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    If you leave a 360 on for that long It would probably suffer the same fate. I keep mine in an open environment. When the PS3 premiered the Best Buy by me, had it in this plastic case, they turned it on, 15 minutes later it overheated and shut down. But I've had mine damn near 5 years and it's given me no real problems.
  • Razo DeDezmond 2012/01/30 09:22:31
    Razo DeDezmond
    +2
    One game that I played. I was having fun with the game, then... the last boss... I could not kill it. I found out that it's 100% chance if you win or have to reload. over 200 attempts at killing the boss. I ripped my hair out.

But then this clip always did make me smile.

• The Eli... Razo De... 2012/01/30 21:46:12
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    When I was playing God Of War 3, The Big Boss fight, for the most part was easy. But at the end it prompts you to a mini game. But what they don't tell You is you are supposed to stop. I spent almost 2 hours Punching the Square button. The next day my wrist was so sore.
  • alex 2012/01/30 08:15:58
    alex
    +3
    Haha pretty friggin spot on!! I have experienced all of those multiple times. There was one game I had figured out a way to get around a glitch, by turning off autosave. Of course silly me didn't immediatky turn it back ON after the glitch, so hours of work after the matter was lost -_-
  • The Eli... alex 2012/01/30 21:48:59
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +2
    When I was playing the Family Guy Video game. The Stealth missions were the hardest part of the game, one in particular, was you had to sneak Brian thorough a dressing room. I failed a good 25 times. but then there was this glitch, and it made it possible to walk through the walls. Not all glitches are bad.
  • Radical Ed 2012/01/30 06:23:37
    Radical Ed
    +2
    every one of those dozens of times....

invisible ninjas cutting onions again.
  • Chancy99: Plague Rat 2012/01/29 23:59:23
    Chancy99: Plague Rat
    +2
    I've experienced all of these at lease once. Most frustrating situation, Comes directly from Eternal Darkness, and If your sanity is low, and you go to save, it saying your memory card is corrupted and It's deleting everything. I remember my brother going through that for the first time..he cried..then we realized it didn't actually happen.

• The Eli... Chancy9... 2012/01/30 00:05:51
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    My sister Damn near had a nervous breakdown due to that game.
  • Feria~Badass of PHAET~ 2012/01/29 23:52:21
    Feria~Badass of PHAET~
    +2
    I ran into #14 a lot when playing the original Resident Evil. Pissed me off to no end.
  • The Eli... Feria~B... 2012/01/29 23:54:09
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    Resident Evil is the biggest offender.
  • Feria~B... The Eli... 2012/01/30 00:03:48
  • The Eli... Feria~B... 2012/01/30 00:08:16
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    Resident Evil 5 Tried to accommodate by having that secondary case. But You couldn't use it when it mattered.
  • Feria~B... The Eli... 2012/01/30 00:31:14
    Feria~Badass of PHAET~
    +2
    True, but at least there was our partner who could also hold stuff as well.
  • The Eli... Feria~B... 2012/01/30 00:38:59
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +1
    Sheva was much better at handing off weapons than that trainwreck of a mutli-player Resident Evil 2
  • Andy 2012/01/29 23:34:08
    I'm Cool I don't play Video Games
    Andy
    +3
    I have played... but, only once or twice...many years ago!!

2014/10/23 20:41:42