Tebow Trade Story Reeks of a Media Agenda: Does Media Want to Ruin Tim Tebow?

Fef 2012/09/14 18:00:00
Related Topics: Sports, Tim Tebow, Media
Jeff Capellini, a writer for WFAN.com in New York, suggests that the media has a lack of responsibility in reporting news about Tim Tebow. Capellini -- who has the Twitter handle @GreenLanterJet -- says the media rushed to report unsubstantiated rumors from unnamed sources solely as a "cheap way of creating a buzz."

I suggest that the media has an agenda to destroy Tim Tebow, an outspoken Christian. Many in the New York media have an anti-religious bigotry and mock Tebow at every chance. Now they have an unreliable story that negatively affects his relationship with his New York fans. They ran the story to discredit Tebow and possibly hurt his career in New York.

NEWYORK.CBSLOCAL.COM reports:
So now we're all in Tim Tebow's head. That's good to know going forward because I, for one, am dying to know how he thinks the upcoming season of "Survivor: Philippines" is going to shake out.

thinks season survivor philippines shake news sports weather traffic ny

Read More: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/09/13/green-lante...

• boneman1 2012/09/14 20:11:11
    boneman1
    +11
    The media tries to smear any prominent figure that displays conservative, Christian beliefs.

• Heptarch Gwen 2012/09/17 01:28:29
    Heptarch
    Absolutely. Every religious zealot deserves mockery.
  • Gwen Heptarch 2012/09/17 02:15:45
    Gwen
    deserves?.....nah...more like able to handle it...no sense affirming that kind of hate....disagree on that.
  • Heptarch Gwen 2012/09/17 03:41:37
    Heptarch
    They don't deserve respect. I don't hate religious zealots. I pity them.
  • Gwen Heptarch 2012/09/17 11:40:57
    Gwen
    um....if you feel compassion or sorrow for someone...isn't that a form of respect?
  • Heptarch Gwen 2012/09/17 15:11:41
    Heptarch
    Not really, no. I can pity someone without respecting them or their beliefs.
  • Gwen Heptarch 2012/09/18 01:07:37
    Gwen
    I just think that if someone expresses their beliefs in public..that doesn't necessarily make them a zealot. I mean...if they are not putting me down because I believe differently...then it's all cool...free speech and all that. Zealots tend to go after people or out of their way to put down people that don't believe the same way they do...like Westboro Baptist, or what's his face, Rev White?...from Chicago...or Louis Ferakhan...Zealots tend to be bigoted IMO.
  • Heptarch Gwen 2012/09/18 02:25:33
    Heptarch
    A zealot is someone for whom everything in their world is about their god.
  • Gwen Heptarch 2012/09/18 11:11:30
    Gwen
    well..isn't faith in a higher power supposed to be all in...not a fence sitter? I mean, if one has a faith belief in God, shouldn't it affect their whole world? Zealotry can be about non-belief too, or even politics...or fill in the blank. People who get so upset by what other people believe or their ideals or whatever ...the relentless pursuit of can be a zealot.
  • Heptarch Gwen 2012/09/18 16:27:36
    Heptarch
    Sure. And since the thing a person is zealous about is so all-consuming, they don't have the ability to fairly, open-mindedly assess any situation. It's all seen through the prism of their belief. That sort of close-minded bigotry deserves mockery because the people who adopt that kind of thinking are the people who lead us into the worst abuses in the world's history.
  • Gwen Heptarch 2012/09/18 23:27:17
    Gwen
    Everything is seen "through the prism" of one's beliefs. Who is exempt from that?!? If someone is not demanding me to look through their prism...then to me..they are not a zealot. If they ask nicely...aren't I a free-thinking free individual to choose or not...no harm..no foul. If we cannot state in public what we believe...even if we are famous...isn't that a close-minded bigotry to free speech?Are you that easily influenced by a person who puts voice to their faith?---that you worry that you will be "led". I just don't see it that way.
  • Heptarch Gwen 2012/09/18 23:53:23
    Heptarch
    Let me ask you something.

What does god have to do with football?

If you can't leave conversations about your religious beliefs out of a place where they clearly don't belong, then chances are you're a zealot.

"Are you that easily influenced by a person who puts voice to their faith?"

Not at all. I'm just tired of listening to athletes braying about god. It's inappropriate and annoying.
  • Gwen Heptarch 2012/09/19 00:01:25
    Gwen
    In your prism...God has nothing to do with football.

In Tebow's prism....He does.

And the main thing is...in the media's prism....it has EVERYTHING to do with selling a story...lol.

I have seen on air interviews with Tebow where it never came up....because Tebow was NOT ASKED.... I can't blame a guy for answering a question. At any rate...if the people who buy tickets hate it...they will influence the owners....if the people who pay his salary hate it...they will decide. If he plays badly...you won't have to worry so much about it. I don't even think about it when I am watching a game do you?!?
  • Heptarch Gwen 2012/09/19 02:38:56
    Heptarch
    "In your prism...God has nothing to do with football. "

Oh, come on. God has nothing to do with football. Tim Tebow might think god has something to do with his life, but he has nothing to do with football.

"I don't even think about it when I am watching a game do you?!?"

Nope. Which only proves my point. The only time I think about god and football is when a football player talks about god for no reason.
  • Gwen Heptarch 2012/09/19 02:57:08
    Gwen
    it isn't "no reason" in his mind. He is entitled to say what he wants to say, answer questions the way he wants to...don't listen if you don't want to....no one is making you listen...surely you can filter a comment here and there out..write a letter then.....he is a paid professional..if it doesn't sell....you will not have to listen anymore...I just don't see the big deal and how it makes everyone feel so fragile.
  • Heptarch Gwen 2012/09/19 07:17:46
    Heptarch
    It doesn't make me feel "fragile". I'm just sick and tired of the silly prating about god from athletes. If any gods exist, I'm quite certain they don't take any interest in sports.
  • Gwen Heptarch 2012/09/19 11:12:06
    Gwen
    well, I certainly can't speak for God..but I guess God would want us to be sincere. It doesn't bother me about Tebow the way it bothers you. I do believe in God So that makes different prisms or filters for us and I understand what you are saying.
    Interesting discussion. Have a good one.
  • Heptarch Gwen 2012/09/19 15:27:30
    Heptarch
    "well, I certainly can't speak for God..but I guess God would want us to be sincere."

Sure. So go to church. Talk about god where it belongs. Leave it out of things where it doesn't belong.
  • Gwen Heptarch 2012/09/19 20:34:07
    Gwen
    I have to disagree.....you can't decide for everyone let alone God ....where God belongs.

Your entitled to your opinion...but it's just an opinion.
  • yoyo Heptarch 2012/09/17 14:48:06
    yoyo
    So we should mock Jesus? He was a religious zealot wouldn't you say?
  • Heptarch yoyo 2012/09/17 15:12:19
    Heptarch
    +1
    Last I checked Jesus wasn't alive. And if he were, I'm pretty sure he'd be embarrassed by most of what is said and done in his name.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/09/16 13:26:46 (edited)
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +2
    Now if Tebow was a fervent unabashed Muslim, he would be celebrated world wide by the media.
  • Asa Core 2012/09/16 13:04:48
    Asa Core
    +1
    yes......to ruin ONLY!!!!
  • PoliticallyIncorrect 2012/09/16 12:32:14 (edited)
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +2
    The American media has become a champion for everything that's wrong with America.

They are vultures who like to ruin people.

They are anti-Christian.

They are arrogant and smug; condescending and biased; liars and cheats.

They are egotistical, judgmental, and self-aggrandizing.

The American media stink in general and are assassins of the American Dream specifically.
  • Corsair 2012/09/16 09:17:11
  • wamcalif 2012/09/16 09:04:22
    wamcalif
    +1
    It really does appear that way. A lot of people (including myself) were perplexed with the signing of Tebow by the Jets. Ever since arriving in NY, the cameras have shadowed his every move. The media has been pushing this quarterback controversy, trying to fabricate friction between Tebow and Sanchez. Fact is, the two have been friends since before Tebow even entered the NFL. After the season starts, they are criticizing the wildcat and every single play Tebow is involved in. I thought the entire team played well against Buffalo (as evident in the score), and believe the Bills were confused by alternate plays run by Sanchez and Tebow. The point is to win the game, not for any one player to compile personal stats.

I've always thought it best to have one starting QB, who knew that the team was his to lead without somebody breathing down his neck. In this case, mistakes were made with Sanchez during his rookie season. A good foundation was not established and there was too much media hype around him. Now, he has a chance to improve his decision making (the physical element is already there) in the heat of the regular season games. Tebow can relieve some pressure for him by keeping the opposing defense off balance (on plays when Tim is in as QB). I have to respect Tebow for his willingness to be a team player, fulfilling whatever role is asked of him.
  • Ronzo 2012/09/16 04:20:54
    Ronzo
    +1
    The Media, especially abc is down on Christians and those who oppose killing the unborn.
  • Arse-Whole 2012/09/16 02:50:55
    Arse-Whole
    +1
    I'm not saying this in defense of the guy. He doesn't seem to mind the attention. But they turned him into a pop icon so they can and will do whatever they want with his image just for quick bumps and profit. That's your American media.
  • BlackwinterG36C 2012/09/16 00:16:13
    BlackwinterG36C
    +2
    Because he's open about his christianity and he is popular.
  • Joe 2012/09/15 20:44:43
    Joe
    +2
    I trust the lame stream media about as far as I can throw that cow Mooooochelle LaVaughan Obama! jms
  • ..::localeye::.. 2012/09/15 20:36:38
    ..::localeye::..
    +1
    In the football media he is pretty much one of the most well like figures.
  • lurx: the soda jerk 2012/09/15 20:33:05
    lurx: the soda jerk
    +1
    ...the media is always out to get people who are paranoid enough to believe that the media is out to get them.
  • Dugard 2012/09/15 19:55:45
    Dugard
    +4
    The "media" wants to ruin anyone who believes in God and has conservative values.
  • jerry 2012/09/15 18:10:46
    jerry
    +3
    If you do not deny Christ...neither will He deny you.....good choice Tim.

But the press hates that.
  • The Aging Yankee Liberal Do... 2012/09/15 18:06:32
    The Aging Yankee Liberal Douche
    +1
    tebowmania needs to come to an end now. he's become an overnight celebrity and he's far from a star player. he's not even as good as mark sanchez. this is becomming a real distraction when the backup is more famous than the starter. plus they gave sanchez a guaranteed contract worth alot of money and theyre treating him like crap... its not fair to sanchez. nothing against tebow, but this nuttiness has to stop.
  • Frank The Agi... 2012/09/17 20:31:07
    Frank
    Trade him to the KC chiefs here in the midwest where he will be in cognito, plus we will take him over Cassell, and probably become a lot better team...
    +1
    Yes, the lame stream media is just like that. Pick after anybody who prays and comes advertises against abortion.
  • Sunnydaydreamer 2012/09/15 17:43:16
  • Kern Sunnyda... 2012/09/16 15:13:42
    Kern
    He's not old enough to be president.
  • Frank 2012/09/15 17:37:57
    Frank
    +1
    He projects a nice guy image, does missionary work, and proclaims Christianity. He needs to start going to strip clubs, shoot himself, or get into dog fighting, or some other illegal activity and the media will love him....
  • Cortland 2012/09/15 17:29:34
    Cortland
    +2
    People tend to wanna see him fail. Tebow is a hardworking qb that has tons of potential.

2014/10/25 00:41:08