Suri Cruise Wears Red Lipstick: Is It OK to Experiment With Makeup as a Kid?

First, it was the princess heels. And now, Hollywood's poshest five-year-old is testing the little-kid boundaries with something else: lipstick.

Suri Cruise, the daughter of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, was spotted a few days ago in NYC with her mommy sporting -- gasp! -- a trendy red stain on her lips.

We know, we know. It's not as bad as the full-on, makeup-sporting tots of "Toddlers and Tiaras" -- but it still made us do a bit of a double take.

Since when is it OK for a five-year-old to put on makeup?!

We'll give her the benefit of the doubt this time, as every kid should reserve the right to play dress-up from time to time. Just don't make a habit of it, Suri. We wouldn't want you to grow up too fast.

On the plus side, we think it's awesome that she's still holding a Cabbage Patch doll. Keep that playful youth alive!

Do you think it's OK for kids like Suri to experiment with makeup?

• CHICKSRULE 2011/09/15 19:21:11 (edited)
    CHICKSRULE
    +16
    Absolutely, it's part of being a little girl. I have 2 girls, and they always loved to dress up in my clothes, high heels, and make-up. It's soo cute and innocent. Boys play with guns, and girls play dress up and mimic their moms. Anyone making a big deal out of this is insane, and must have never had a childhood. Suri looks adorable!!

Now this is another story:

Sharedress mimic moms deal insane childhood suri adorable story toddlers tots and tiaras

GROSS!!!!

• Bomb a 2011/09/17 04:55:51
    Bomb a
    +3
    She's not my kid so it's none of my business.
  • DreamSpeaker 2011/09/17 03:59:50
    DreamSpeaker
    What little girl doesn't want to play dress up and try on their momma's make up? I had 4 girls and they all played dress up. The thing I have a problem with are the tiny tykes who parade around like miniature harlots in "Beauty Pageants". They dress these babies up to look like grown women on the prowl. This can only appeal to pedophiles and certainly endangers these children. Look what happened to the Ramsey child.
    As for Suri...not a problem.
    I must say, though, that this child is absolutely gorgeous. I hope she realizes when she grows up that she won't need make up to be beautiful.
  • OnyxRaven 2011/09/17 03:11:11 (edited)
    OnyxRaven
    I think it's cute as long as it's within reason.

If a little girl Suri Cruise's age was constantly wearing alot of makeup I'd be concerned, but occasionally wearing a little lipstick like she was is cute. She's just a little girl playing dress-ups and carrying a doll, nothing wrong with that. When I was her age I was always into my Mother's makeup kit and experimenting (most of the time I ended up with hearts drawn with red lipstick all over my face). I say everyone should just let her have her fun. makeup kit experimenting ended hearts drawn red lipstick fun
  • ellencalvo 2011/09/17 02:55:50
    ellencalvo
    sure, it's kinda cute
  • Moonbeams 2011/09/17 02:17:50
    Moonbeams
    +3
    The only red tint that should be on her lips - Is the one you get after you finish eating a Cherry Tootsie Pop. :)
  • LORROL 2011/09/17 02:17:04
    LORROL
    within reason. The girl is not painted up like a floozy.
  • ©TransAmTam~Metal Queen \m/ 2011/09/17 02:10:59 (edited)
  • DreamSp... ©TransA... 2011/09/17 04:10:35
    DreamSpeaker
    There was nothing wrong with her wearing a bit of lipstick. It's not as though she had been dressed up in sexy clothes and was being paraded around on a stage for sic men to ogle. Get a grip. She is just a little girl wanting to be like mommy. She probably has cameras in her face all the time and maybe feels a little shy about it. Hiding behind a touch of lipstick may make her feel more secure. As for mud pies? They might be a bit hard to find in the big city and she may not be comfortable getting dirty. Each child is different. Plus, I imagine this child is watched like a hawk by her mother and father as well as their personal security. Don't be so judgmental.
  • ©TransA... DreamSp... 2011/09/17 04:27:48
  • DreamSp... ©TransA... 2011/09/17 04:55:26
    DreamSpeaker
    When children turn 5 they start to develop emotionally. Little girls are often shy at this age, just as some little boys. It is nothing a parent does or doesn't do that makes their child shy.It is a natural occurrence and something they grow out of. Letting your little girl wear a touch of lipstick is allowing her to seek her own identity. This is merely a phase that little girls go through. Making it seem like something bad can confuse a child when she sees mommy putting make up on. Letting her wear a touch of lipstick, and teaching her that too much is not acceptable, shows her that she can trust her mother's guidance and is loved and appreciated by her parents. What you know about little girls wouldn't fill a thimble. My girls all went through various stages of this. They are all grown women now and not one of them wears a lot of make up and most of the time they wear no make up. That's because I didn't make a big deal out of it.
  • ©TransA... DreamSp... 2011/09/17 04:59:17
  • DreamSp... ©TransA... 2011/09/17 05:27:14
    DreamSpeaker
    I would try to discourage it, but if it was something he had his heart set on, I might let him. It might indicate that his sexual identity was already showing itself. You cannot change a child sexual identity by telling them they are a boy or a girl. It doesn't work that way. They are who they are. Fortunately, I didn't have to deal with this problem. But, changing the above question to include a boy in the scenario makes it a different subject all together.
  • ©TransA... DreamSp... 2011/09/17 05:41:48
  • DreamSp... ©TransA... 2011/09/17 07:42:53
    DreamSpeaker
    Why ask the question when you have already made up my mind for me? The subject was Suri, not some little boy whose sexual identity might be expressing itself at the age of 5. You want to smear the issue because YOU don't like the idea. It makes you uncomfortable. Don't assume you know how I would feel or how I would handle your supposed situation. You would be wrong.
    However, according to your outspoken discomfort with the idea it is obvious how you would react, and what you would do. It's your prerogative to impose on your children whatever restraints you feel are necessary to keep yourself from being embarrassed in public.
    The only reason I included a boy in my comment was to make the point that ALL children, of both sexes, begin to go through their emotional growth at this age. It has nothing to do with a little boy wanting to wear lipstick.
    I tried to respect your question by answering it as honestly as I could, but you use it to attack me with your own shallow ideology. You are still very young and I hope that as time goes by you mature in your thoughts and emotional development and gain some compassion and understanding of what it is like to be a little girl who just wants to play dress-up and wear a little bit of lipstick.
    Unfortunately, you didn't walk through the door, Hun, you walked into it.
  • ©TransA... DreamSp... 2011/09/17 08:14:55
  • ReconMa... ©TransA... 2011/09/18 02:17:42
  • ©TransA... ReconMa... 2011/09/18 02:20:32
  • Chi~Cat ©TransA... 2011/09/18 02:22:10
    Chi~Cat
    +2
    Oblivion is fine with libs. Disgusting...
  • ReconMa... Chi~Cat 2011/09/18 02:48:09
  • ReconMa... ©TransA... 2011/09/18 02:47:19
  • DreamSp... ReconMa... 2011/09/19 00:41:47
    DreamSpeaker
    Don't put words in my mouth, I never suggested anything of the kind. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you are certainly entitled to raise your children as you see fit. But you do NOT have the right to tell others how to raise theirs.
  • ReconMa... DreamSp... 2011/09/19 00:56:37
  • DreamSp... ReconMa... 2011/09/19 01:58:09
  • ReconMa... DreamSp... 2011/09/19 02:17:51
  • DreamSp... ReconMa... 2011/09/19 16:39:48
    DreamSpeaker
    Being passionate about child abuse is not what this question is about, although I can agree with you about that. Abusers should go to jail. Everyone should be concerned with child abuse. But, this child is not being abused.

The question was,"is it alright for a child to experiment with makeup". Your mind has been filled with the horror stories your son has seen. That stuff will drive you crazy. However, Suri is not being abuse or exploited in anyway. Her parents are very protective and love her deeply. It is hard enough being always attacked by paparazzi as an adult, yet even harder as a child. Her parents are doing the best they can to help their child adjust to this invasion.

Unfortunately, due to an insane population that feels they must know everything possible about their favorite movie star, this child will grow up faster than the average child who has nothing more to worry about than skinned knees. The last thing Suri needs is to see/hear her mother being attacked by busybody people with nothing more to do than criticize.
  • ReconMa... DreamSp... 2011/09/19 19:38:42
  • ReconMa... ©TransA... 2011/09/18 04:23:32
  • ©TransA... ReconMa... 2011/09/18 04:27:47
  • ReconMa... ©TransA... 2011/09/19 19:39:23
  • ©TransA... ReconMa... 2011/09/19 21:16:51
  • ReconMa... ©TransA... 2011/09/19 21:46:37
  • ©TransA... ReconMa... 2011/09/19 21:49:33
  • ReconMa... ©TransA... 2011/09/19 22:25:49
  • ©TransA... ReconMa... 2011/09/20 00:29:20
  • ReconMa... ©TransA... 2011/09/20 00:40:17
  • Chi~Cat ReconMa... 2011/09/18 02:21:18
    Chi~Cat
    +2
    And not for nothing, Red lipstick on a child at the age of five is more than perturbing.
  • ReconMa... Chi~Cat 2011/09/18 02:50:48
  • DreamSp... ReconMa... 2011/09/19 16:44:37
    DreamSpeaker
    +1
    That is YOUR opinion and you have the right to express it, just as I have the right to express mine.
  • ReconMa... DreamSp... 2011/09/19 19:44:59
  • DreamSp... ReconMa... 2011/09/20 14:48:41
    DreamSpeaker
    +1
    You took that comment out of context and no amount of explanation is going to satisfy you as you have made up your mind, a mind that is filled the stories your son has filled it with. Just end this constant barrage of harassment and get on with your life.

2014/10/24 11:26:59