St. Louis Rams at NY Giants: Worst NFL Monday Night Football?

Fef 2011/09/19 16:57:17
NFL usually puts an awesome, competitive, rivalry-ridden game together for NFL Monday Night Football, but not tonight. Tonight's game doesn't have half the excitement as some of Sunday's games.

The NFL started the 2011 season with two great Monday Night Football matchups. The New England Patriots and the Dolphins started the double-header. Tom Brady threw for 517 yards and 4 touchdowns.
9/12 Patriots 38, Dolphins 24

The NFL followed that up with an even better Monday Night Football game between longtime rivals the Oakland Raiders and Denver Broncos. Darren McFadden ran for 150 yards and Sebastian Janikowski kicked a record-tying 63-yard field goal.
9/12 Raiders 23, Broncos 20

Compare that with tonight's game. The St. Louis Rams at MefLife Stadium against the New York Giants. Nevermind that Rams running back Steven Jackson may not play due to his injured quad -- the NFL could not have predicted that injury. Both the Rams and the Giants lost their season openers and share a 0-1 record. They combined for 17 wins last season with the Giants earning 10 compared to the Rams 7 wins. The NY Giants may give the STL Rams a good game, but the NFL should have better Monday Night Football drama.
wins ny giants stl rams game nfl monday football drama

Sunday featured the Philadelphia Eagles traveling to face Michael Vick's former team the Atlanta Falcons. The controversial quarterback nearly won the 2010 MVP after returning from a prison sentence. Everybody wanted to see how his Atlanta loyalists would treat the embattled quarterback. The Eagles made a valiant effort, but Vick's replacement Matt Ryan threw for a pair of touchdowns as Vick watched from the sideline with a possible concussion. "Welcome back!"

Sunday also featured the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco reignited their rivalry on Sunday for an overtime thriller. Tony Romo came back from a broken rib to beat the San Francisco 49rs 27-24 with an overtime field goal.

I applaud the NFL for giving us great Sunday action, but what about Monday Night Football? This looks like a dud, except that I need Ahmad Bradshaw to score some points for my fantasy football team.

Read More: http://espn.go.com/nfl/mnf

• Truthteller 2011/09/20 19:00:24
    Monday Night Football
    Truthteller
    I am writing on Tuesday and I am a Rams fan - and I must admit, this was one of the worst games ever. Not only on MNF but in football. Boring, Stupid mistakes, penalty ridden - I think bowling would have been more interesting.
  • Ramon 2011/09/20 05:36:54
    Monday Night Football
    Ramon
    +1
    It actually decided my fantasy football outcome for the week so it was pretty exciting to me....by the way I won! My Giant's defense came through.
  • Fef Ramon 2011/09/20 15:25:27
    Fef
    It decided it for me too. I needed Ahmad Bradshaw to get just 25 more yards or a score. Dang Brendan Jacobs got the rushing TD.
  • Ramon Fef 2011/09/20 20:57:06
    Ramon
    Yeah, I was sweating bullets...my opponent had Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Manningham, but I won by about 10 points so I lucked out that a few other Giants scored as well.
  • Fresno State Fan CB-05 2011/09/20 05:25:31
    Monday Night Football
    Fresno State Fan CB-05
    +1
    I'll watch any match-ups on MNF but boy oh boy what a stinker. It's been a while since I've seen a match-up as bland as tonight's was.
  • RobertRowe 2011/09/20 03:24:57
    NFL Monday Night Whatever...
    RobertRowe
    i could care less about big sports since the interviews in the video are as truthful as the sunrise!
  • ttfndude 2011/09/20 02:58:32
    Meh
    ttfndude
    yeah this game looks like crap
  • wandadear 2011/09/20 01:22:29
    Monday Night Football
    wandadear
    dont knock it until you watch it all
  • RobertRowe wandadear 2011/09/20 03:27:06
    RobertRowe
    +1
    the only reason it gets watched is people seeing if they won their black book bet! if it weren't for illegal gambling all big sports would have died off in the big recession.
  • wandadear RobertRowe 2011/09/20 03:28:25
    wandadear
    i here you there
  • sick'n'tired PWCM 2011/09/19 23:21:51
    Monday Night Football
    sick'n'tired PWCM
    After the emotional rollercoaster of last week's Falcons and the BRILLIANT MATT RYAN COMBACK!!!!!, I could use some rest. Tonight's game will put me to sleep. Thank you ESPN.
  • unclepat 2011/09/19 21:46:47
    Monday Night Football
    unclepat
    +1
    Careful now Fef. The games that usually look boring on paper turn out to be the games that have you wishing you watched it. Doesn't look like much but then somehow these are the games that turn out to be barnburners......At least I hope so! lol
  • Fef unclepat 2011/09/19 23:17:33
    Fef
    +1
    I did say it may turn into a close/competitive game, but it doesn't have the drama that makes we want to tune in.
  • Zolfie™ 2011/09/19 21:41:24
    Monday Night Football
    Zolfie™
    +1
    I wouldn't say it's the worse. I mean two or three years ago they had a string of MNF games very late in the season and none of the teams had a shot at the playoffs and they weren't good or close....

I'll admit I'm not overly excited for this game but it could be good. It's hard to rank up both teams as both have had a ton of injuries already. And a good game normally comes from two evenly matched teams.

Who do you think wins? I was thinking Rams but that was before all of the injuries.
  • sockpuppet 2011/09/19 21:03:44
    Meh
    sockpuppet
    +1
    KC got slammed 48 - 3 by DETROIT the other day...
    and by Buffalo last week, 41 - 7.

If we get a spot on Monday Night Football this year,
    it will be much lamer than the Rams/Giants game.
  • Fef sockpuppet 2011/09/19 23:18:10
    Fef
    +1
    Yes, KC doesn't have much of a reason for MNF this year.
  • sockpuppet Fef 2011/09/20 02:28:10
    sockpuppet
    ...or Sunday afternoons, either. XD
  • clasact 2011/09/19 20:43:22
    Monday Night Football
    clasact
    +2
    now you dont know if the game is going to suck or not.I mean look at the Lions this year as compared to last .It just might turn out to be a good one and MNF has one or two that suck every year
  • Claybern 2011/09/19 19:59:54
    Monday Night Football
    Claybern
    +2
    99% of all monday night games are good.
  • Hausen 2011/09/19 19:53:11
    Monday Night Football
    Hausen
    +2
    Come on, we (St. Louis) only get a Monday Night game once every five or ten years, let us have it. Go Rams!!!! We are shooting for a .500 record this year! Whooooo!
  • Superman Hausen 2011/09/19 20:15:24
    Superman
    +1
    Some of us Rams fans are shooting for more than that ;-)
  • Shadow'... Superman 2011/09/19 20:27:51
    Shadow's Companion
    +2
    Now it makes sense a little more: you're a Rams fan. I understand the appreciation for teams on the rise, given the present revival of my Lions!
  • unclepat Shadow'... 2011/09/19 21:49:20
    unclepat
    +1
    They do look good so far. I think they'll go as far as Matthew Staffords HEALTH takes them. Good luck!
  • Shadow'... unclepat 2011/09/20 01:48:03
    Shadow's Companion
    +1
    They did really well last season with Shaun Hill AND Drew Stanton. No question, though, Stafford makes magic happen!
  • Zolfie™ Superman 2011/09/19 21:42:40
    Zolfie™
    +2
    like winning the division with a 7-9 record? ;P :D ... jk
    I have to admit I was pretty upset a losing team got into the playoffs. But at least they one won and then left. So they proved the system should stay.... and then got out of the way. :P :)
  • Superman Zolfie™ 2011/09/20 05:15:41
    Superman
    +1
    The Rams are better than last year but have a tougher sched. I had them pegged to lose these first two game but still to finish anywhere from 8-8 to 10-6 and winning their division.

Of course I don't think they'd go anywhere in the playoffs, but babysteps.
  • Zolfie™ Superman 2011/09/20 05:41:39
    Zolfie™
    I had the Rams winning this game, because the Giants got rid of a good bit of their starting OL from the past and they had been very injured. But the Giants became healed up and the Rams were now the injured team. Though I can't complain about this week... i was 14 for 16 =D .... though seeing that I just said it next week is probably gonna be a bad week for me :P ...

Also look out for the Lions, their first half of the season is easier and very well could win 6 of their first 8. Cowboys, Bears and Falcons are the harder team but I figure they'll beat one or two of them.

I'm surprised Pack @ Bears isn't getting a national game... rematch of the NFC Champs game and all. But I guess that's because their second game is a national game (only game on Christmas day). And to be honest the Bears/Packers game always seems to turn out to be an ugly, very sloppy, low scoring battle... which is why the Saints probably got picked for the opener instead of the Bears.
  • dlsofsetx 2011/09/19 19:51:37
    NFL Monday Night Whatever...
    dlsofsetx
    +1
    I could care less.
  • Amasaman 2011/09/19 19:47:59 (edited)
    NFL Monday Night Whatever...
    Amasaman
    +1
    I need NY to score at least 81 points, so I can win a raffle pool I am entered in. Fat chance of that happening!!!
  • Fef Amasaman 2011/09/19 23:18:54
    Fef
    As long as Ahmad Bradshaw scores 12 of those points...
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2011/09/19 19:27:15
    Meh
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +1
    I'll tune in here and there.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/09/19 18:56:40 (edited)
    Monday Night Football
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +1
    YOU SEEM TO BE EXPECTING A GAME OF EMBARRASSING ERRORS?
  • Fef MOMMA T... 2011/09/19 23:19:20
    Fef
    NAH, I JUST DON'T SEE ANY "DRAMA" OR HYPE FOR THE GAME.
  • keeper 2011/09/19 18:02:05
    Monday Night Football
    keeper
    +1
    Fef,,, when it was scheduled last year it had good promise~~
  • ☆SPIDERPIECES☆: HERO of PHAET 2011/09/19 17:58:01
    Monday Night Football
    ☆SPIDERPIECES☆: HERO of PHAET
    +2
    I have Brandon Jacobs and the NY Defense in my fantasy league
  • Mr.Hood... ☆SPIDER... 2011/09/19 19:26:45
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +1
    I have NY D to lol. Hope they shut them down!
  • Fef ☆SPIDER... 2011/09/19 23:20:26
    Fef
    +1
    I've got Brandon Jacobs too, but sat Jacobs on the bench.
    ive brandon jacobs sat jacobs bench brandon jacobs bench
  • Jimbo 2011/09/19 17:56:26
    Meh
    Jimbo
    +2
    Being from NY, I root for the Jets and Giants. Why Manning is the highest paid quarterback in the league when teams have a cap is beyond me.
  • Superman 2011/09/19 17:44:01
    Monday Night Football
    Superman
    +1
    The Giants are a contender every year. Big market team thats won a Super Bowl (over the vaunted Pats I might add) not oo long ago.

The Rams are a team on the rise. Second year qb Sam Bradford has all the makings of the next big thing in the NFL. While we look at Atlanta and GB and their qbs right now, Bradford is in the beginning of that process. They went from a 1-15 team to a 7-9 a year later. This is a devision contender that may see playoff action this year.

And you seem to forget about the underlined story here, so I assume you don't pay any attention to football. How did the Giants win their Super Bowl? A defense designed to keep the NFLs best and undefeated offense in line. Remember, the Pats set records that year and hadn't lost a game. Who designed that defense? Steve Spagnuolo, now head coach of the Rams.

So this is a homecoming of the coordinator that helped the Giants win a Super Bowl.

Plenty of drama, plenty of good football to play out.

If you don't pay more than cursory attention to the NFL don't ask a stupid question like this.
  • Shadow'... Superman 2011/09/19 18:50:16
    Shadow's Companion
    +1
    Word for word, I can't think of a better riposte, including your final remark. I believe that Fef's dedication and depth as a football fan can be summed up with HIS final remark as well:

"This looks like a dud, except that I need Ahmad Bradshaw to score some points for my fantasy football team."

Fantasy league players are usually not fans of the game at all.

2014/11/23 02:20:13