Sony Reveals PlayStation 4: Are You Excited for the New Console?

Tech 2013/02/24 20:44:15
Calling all gamers: Save your money because the next generation of consoles is approaching faster than you think. This past week, Sony finally confirmed the development of its PlayStation 4 (PS4) console, set for a Holiday 2013 release on a date to be determined. While we don't know what the PS4 is exactly going to look like--yet--we do know it is going to be very powerful.

The PS4 will be equipped with eight gigabytes of memory and a high powered video card, taking graphics to the next level. The graphics look to be far superior than Nintendo's newest console, the WiiU, which was released last fall. Its graphics are also rumored to have a slight edge over the Xbox 720, although that's pure speculation right now.

There might be some drawbacks to the PS4 though, such as no backwards compatibility with old games, but Sony is expected to offer some type of streaming service for classic titles from past PlayStation consoles. Visually, the PS4 looks spectacular, but whether that matches its gameplay experience is another story. Based on Sony's positive track record, it's safe to say the PS4 will be a big hit with gamers.

Read More: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/p...

• iamco2000 2013/02/24 21:41:52
    iamco2000
    +8
    ...because it means that the PS2 and PS3 might now actually be affordable, LOL!

Grace to you, Glory to God!

• epsdude 2013/06/12 03:37:48
    epsdude
    They're charging $5 a month for multiplayer. Sony should know better. My wifi, my money. Its the whole reason I chose PS3 over Xbox.
  • Soviet Revolution 2013/05/25 14:45:31
    Soviet Revolution
    Square Enix will have amazing games on the PlayStation 4.
  • twhiting9275 2013/04/28 21:48:19
    twhiting9275
    Absolutely not.
    I haven't given my hard earned money over to Sony in quite some time, and from the looks of this one, not going to here either.

#1: No backwards compatability... OOPS, not a real surprise there
    #2: No real upgrades here. Oh yeah, there's hardware upgrades, but what is this thing going to do for ME?
    #3: Completely ripping off the Kinect, and not even WELL? Yeah, pass
    #4: Security, security, security. Why WOULD I hand over credit card information to Sony to be stolen because of their inept security practices?
  • Nichola... twhitin... 2013/04/30 12:00:36
    Nicholas DeShane
    About #3, both PlayStation and Microsoft ripped off the Wii, also who in their right mind uses any actual credit card information online when rechargeable gift cards are much more secure as if someone gets the info the only money available is what you put on it. The no backwards compatibility is the only real complaint. I also will not be surprised when Microsoft makes their big reveal to find out once again the ps4 specs blow the new Microsoft console out of the water, hopefully xbox switches to a better disk medium as theirs is pathetic compared to ps3, FF13 one disk on ps3, four on xbox, four disks, this aint the late 90's no current game should need more then 2 disks and that is pushing it. Why on earth they backed hd dvd rather then blue ray is beyond me.
  • bryce stansfield 2013/04/10 08:51:42
    bryce stansfield
    pc gaming is much superior.
  • LEroy 2013/04/05 18:11:22
    LEroy
    No because I have an xbox 360
  • Shayne 2013/03/21 17:46:36 (edited)
    Shayne
    +1
    Definatly Excited For The Ps4 and so is Kratos as you can see he is looking at the controller lol Kratos

Ps4 Controller
  • brichards719 2013/03/11 03:20:32
    brichards719
    not until it's cheap
  • nextpresident 2013/03/10 15:07:46
    nextpresident
    +1
    Oh my gosh I thoughg ps3 was good...
  • Scott Ross 2013/03/09 03:45:41
    Scott Ross
    im still to get a ps2
  • Edson Adrião 2013/03/06 20:45:32
    Edson Adrião
    +1
    so mutch!
  • oceanraptor 2013/03/06 03:08:25
    oceanraptor
    I'm more of a Nintendo-ish person, and the best upcoming game for it, The Witness, will be out on other platforms that I already have.
  • ivan 2013/03/03 23:44:04
    ivan
    +1
    I think Sony will do it this time
  • Bunnywithabowtie 2013/03/03 14:44:29
  • Reaverdon! 2013/03/01 20:03:03
    Reaverdon!
    +1
    Time for some new shizzle..
  • unseen 2013/03/01 20:02:27
    unseen
    Xbox 360! The only reason I would EVER EVER get the PS3 is to complete the Sly Cooper franchise
  • carlbrown4 unseen 2013/03/04 11:44:03
    carlbrown4
    They came out with the last sly cooper franchise this year something about sly cooper and the thieves of time
    Sly cooper
  • unseen carlbrown4 2013/03/04 20:33:28
    unseen
    ya I have been finding out everything about it and its the only reason I will get a PS3
  • Gingah ... unseen 2013/03/20 02:08:29
    Gingah Bread
    Xbox sucks.
  • paramoo 2013/03/01 13:00:06
    paramoo
    I haven't even got the chance to own a PS3!!
  • Hououin Kyouma 2013/02/28 09:51:21
    Hououin Kyouma
    +2
    I can't wait to see if i can mod it in the name of MAD SCIENCE!!!
  • Cunning Stunts 2013/02/28 09:14:22
    Cunning Stunts
    +3
    As a PC gamer my only hope now is game developer's growing interest in Linux ports.

As of Windows 8, Windows is officially dead to me.
  • Phil Cunning... 2013/03/02 22:46:49
    Phil
    Interesting. As a PC gamer, you should know that Windows 8 was designed for tablets, not necessarily a PC.
  • bryce s... Phil 2013/04/10 08:52:58
    bryce stansfield
    as a non-mentally retarded human you should know that pc means personal computer not exclusively desktops.
  • Phil bryce s... 2013/04/10 09:06:41
    Phil
    Which is why I said not necessarily.
  • Sniper 2013/02/27 21:45:12
    Sniper
    +1
    But only if I can play BF3 on it, otherwise no.
  • John Walker II 2013/02/27 21:03:32 (edited)
    John Walker II
    +1
    With a little knowledge, you can make a PC do anything a console can and more.

And c'mon... 8gb memory? My laptop had that and I've had it for 3 years.

Graphics? My laptop can still play anything that's coming out even today just fine.

Farcry 3, Doom 3, and anything, and everything, in the steam catalog.
  • PatLabat 2013/02/27 14:03:06
    PatLabat
    Xbox fan :$
  • Gingah ... PatLabat 2013/03/20 02:09:22
    Gingah Bread
    You are dead to me.
  • Michael S. 2013/02/27 08:50:02 (edited)
    Michael S.
    I'm excited about increased hardware specs, but Sony's anti-consumer attitude is really grating, and their recent shenanigans regarding used games have me fuming.*

I buy new games almost almost exclusively, but if Sony actually ties game licenses to a specific console in its most anti-consumer move ever, I'm out this go-around. I will not support a platform that doesn't allow me to play my games on a new console down the road. Even if they allow exceptions for people whose consoles break, I'm completely opposed to the idea of being dependent on a company's permission (or even their continued existence) to play games I've bought.

The controlling direction that Sony (and maybe Microsoft too?) is taking gaming is worrying to me, and Blizzard is even worse with their "always-online" DRM in Diablo III. Culture should not have a time limit dependent on how long a company chooses to support a game, or how often they choose to let you move your licenses to a new device. I can still play my old NES/SNES/etc. cartridges today long after support has ended, and sometimes I do. At least through emulation, my great-great-etc.-grandchildren way down the line will be able to do the same. Will we be able to say the same thing for today's generation of games, or tomorrow's, especially after...

The controlling direction that Sony (and maybe Microsoft too?) is taking gaming is worrying to me, and Blizzard is even worse with their "always-online" DRM in Diablo III. Culture should not have a time limit dependent on how long a company chooses to support a game, or how often they choose to let you move your licenses to a new device. I can still play my old NES/SNES/etc. cartridges today long after support has ended, and sometimes I do. At least through emulation, my great-great-etc.-grandchildren way down the line will be able to do the same. Will we be able to say the same thing for today's generation of games, or tomorrow's, especially after 25%, 50%, 75% of the hardware systems break down? Diablo for instance is a classic game series, and I wonder if anyone in the world will be able to play Diablo III fifteen years from now...quite possibly not. Making used games unplayable will have a similar effect, except the "countdown to unplayability" won't be limited to a single game but infect an entire platform.

Nowadays, I'm a lot more excited for things like Ouya and Valve's Steambox: There are a lot of obstacles to them supplanting the major closed console manufacturers, but they promise hope for the future during a time that otherwise might become known as gaming's "dark age" just a few decades from now.

*Fighting a crusade against used games isn't even a good business decision either. Publishers see gamer A who buys new (maybe on day 1) and gamer B who buys used, and they're using heavy-handed tactics to force a new purchase from gamer B...but instead, they might lose both. People who buy new games - especially on launch day - often factor resellability into their value calculations. If they know they can't resell a game (and potentially put the money toward another new game!), it may not be worth dropping $60 on it. Meanwhile, people who buy used are simply at another area of the demand curve, where their strike price is lower. Eliminating used games won't get them to buy new on day one: They'll simply wait for the price of new copies to reach the price they individually consider worth it...and if it never does, they'll never buy. (If they felt like they "had to have it," they'd already be buying new on day one.) The lower the price goes, the more people are willing to buy, so the popularity of used games really only demonstrates that the optimal price-point might be lower, and it might be optimal to aggressively reduce prices faster as time goes on. (There will still always be used sales if allowed, since the used price will always be less than new, but if you're selling at an optimal price point, who cares?)
  • Dale 2013/02/27 05:09:20
    Dale
    I will stick with my 360
  • Gingah ... Dale 2013/03/20 02:10:44
    Gingah Bread
    WHY??? Xbox sucks.
  • Dale Gingah ... 2013/03/20 03:26:00
    Dale
    Just prefer Xbox. Plus I got too much money tied up in it right now anyway
  • Squiddie 2013/02/27 03:10:09
    Squiddie
    Sony should just focus on making the vita even better than it is. Im so pissed cuz sony makes the best portable gaming device (in hardware) but leaves us with no good software
  • Grant Straka 2013/02/27 01:48:04
    Grant Straka
    Im good with ZombiU
  • Lucy Krueger 2013/02/27 00:08:20
    Lucy Krueger
    +1
    I'm kind of pissed that I now have to buy another console, but it does look pretty cool.
  • RachelA7X 2013/02/26 22:44:46
    RachelA7X
    I'm happy with my Xbox
  • Josh Robinson 2013/02/26 21:59:39
    Josh Robinson
    I quit on Video Games... Costs too much time and money to fuss with.
  • smiffjp 2013/02/26 17:54:59
    smiffjp
    +1
    I already replaced all the last games...If I cant use my PS3 games on this PS4 I am freaking done
  • KEYPINITREEL 2013/02/26 14:24:06
    KEYPINITREEL
    I like real life too much, just cant get into games. The one game I do like is a virtual reality one where I get out of bed at the beginning of every level and get a full crystal clear 360 degree view of the room im in...I can walk out of that room, get my keys and go to a car thats in the garage, then in the game...I get to go to work.... and make money.... REAL MONEY. But not enough to wanna spend 1000.00 on this game console.

2014/11/28 09:47:33