Skyrim: Empire or Rebels?

Miss Kris the Centrist 2012/09/13 18:30:44
Stormcloaks (Rebels)!
The Empire!
Don't know/Haven't played Skyrim
I played through both story lines and felt much better about being a Stormcloak than an Imperial. The empire already gave up to the Aldmeri Dominion. So in my mind they were just puppets of the Elder Scrolls' version of the Nazis.

• Michelle 2012/09/13 19:14:12
    Stormcloaks (Rebels)!
    Michelle
    +3
    Don't get me wrong, I think Ulfric is a power-hungry dick... but the rebels didn't start the game off assuming I was their enemy and then proceeding to attempt to behead me "just in case". The more I play, the less I like Stormcloaks-- in the context of my play, though, they're a lesser evil. Hey, I-- a Khajiit-- marched into Windhelm to join the rebellion dressed fully in imperial light armour (because I was working on my light armour skill and that was the best available at that point) and they let me join. That was better than the Empire, who dragged me off and sentenced me to death for being in the wrong place at the wrong time!

• NearBlueHills 2013/08/13 19:39:43
    The Empire!
    NearBlueHills
    The Dominion is here, and we're watching you.
  • Jimbo 2012/10/12 23:59:31
    The Empire!
    Jimbo
    +1
    I was for the Empire. I didn't like Ulfric Stormcloak.

Have you played the Dawnguard expansion?
  • Miss Kr... Jimbo 2012/10/13 00:06:41
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    +1
    I haven't gotten it yet, no.
  • Jimbo Miss Kr... 2012/10/13 00:09:37
    Jimbo
    +1
    Maybe I'll start a new game and side with Stormcloak.
  • YourCompanionCube 2012/09/27 01:39:16
    The Empire!
    YourCompanionCube
    +1
    I choose the Dark Brotherhood. Hilarious pic BTW.
  • XQNP 2012/09/15 14:38:29
    The Empire!
    XQNP
    The Empire, while in no way a respectable government, are literally the only force capable of standing against the Thalmor.
  • Solid Snake 2012/09/14 19:48:29
    Stormcloaks (Rebels)!
    Solid Snake
    +1
    'You Imperial Bastards!'
    'JUSTICE!'
  • JessDeCristo 2012/09/14 08:42:26
    Don't know/Haven't played Skyrim
    JessDeCristo
    have to play both in order to better judge.
  • TEPP 2012/09/14 04:28:49
  • thisiswar 2012/09/14 02:43:39 (edited)
    Stormcloaks (Rebels)!
    thisiswar
    +1
    I wouldn't quite go as far as to call the Imperials "Skyrim Nazis," but to answer the question, I have played Skyrim through with 3 characters (Orc, Dark Elf, Khajiit, and now on my fourth since I started over with another dark elf when hearthfire was released) and have chosen to side with the stormcloacks every time.
  • Miss Kr... thisiswar 2012/09/14 04:28:41
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    I didn't mean the Imperials were the Skyrim Nazis, but rather they were being controlled by the equivalent of Nazis.
    Don't know/Haven't played Skyrim
    Undecided.
  • Doc. J 2012/09/14 00:02:49
    Stormcloaks (Rebels)!
    Doc. J
    +1
    I do not like how the Imperials run things, but also wish desperately to KILL Ulfric Stormcloak myself.....He's a douche.

Further, after the mission in the Thalmore embassy, you learn that he is an inactive agent of theirs...
  • Solid S... Doc. J 2012/10/13 01:18:16
    Solid Snake
    +1
    Really? but I thought that the Thalmor were working with the Imperials.
  • Doc. J Solid S... 2012/10/13 08:34:26
    Doc. J
    +1
    Yeah, so did I.
  • Seraph O. Storms 2012/09/13 23:08:34
    Stormcloaks (Rebels)!
    Seraph O. Storms
    +1
    Whatever my character thinks.

RPG does, after all, stand for "roleplaying game".
  • Chibi Guru Z 2012/09/13 22:36:32
    The Empire!
    Chibi Guru Z
    +2
    Ulfric Stormcloak is a charismatic sociopath and needs to be put down. The Empire was forced to accept concessions after a long war ground to a stalemate and they had no strength left to finish the Thalmor (there are historical documents within the game that give a clearer picture of what is going on when taken altogether...).

The Thalmor can be dealt with later after the present crisis is resolved.
  • Miss Kr... Chibi G... 2012/09/13 22:38:47
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    Sociopath? What makes you think that?
  • Chibi G... Miss Kr... 2012/09/13 22:56:22
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    At the head of an Imperial/Nord army he stormed the city of Markarth and executed men, women, and children AFTER the city was under his control. (This is detailed in an in-game book "The Bear of Markarth", I believe it's called.) There are other examples of his use of violence being more excessive than what is considered normal in the culture of the game.

What's also funny: If you have read the dossiers that the Thalmor keep in their embassy (they can be found during the "Diplomatic Immunity" chapter of the main quest-line) the Thalmor consider Ulfric to be an asset of theirs. It seems that during the Aldmiri/Empire war Ulfric spent some time as a POW of the Aldmiri and the Thalmor were able to corrupt his mind in subtle ways. Ulfric is now doing precisely what the Thalmor want him to do: keeping Skyrim politically unstable and further draining the recources of the Cyrodiil Empire. And that is according to a secret Thalmor source, not a public Imperial or anti-Stormcloak Skyrim source.
  • Miss Kr... Chibi G... 2012/09/13 23:00:56
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    I thought the dossier said that Ulfric figured it out and was no longer allowing himself to be a pawn. But I admit I didn't know about the executions after he took control of Markarth.
  • Chibi G... Miss Kr... 2012/09/13 23:23:23 (edited)
    Chibi Guru Z
    During his siege of Markarth he issued an ultimatum that loyal citizens of Skyrim would help him as his army stormed the walls. Once the city was under his control he had ANYONE who didn't throw down with him executed, including innocent bystanders.

Also, whether or not he intends it, the Thalmor are happy with what Ulfric Stormcloak actually is doing. The Thalmor regard him as a 'Useful Idiot' rather than as a puppet.

Now, this is the third Elder Scrolls game that I have played, so maybe I have a slight Imperial bias. As the 'Main Evil' of the games is always directly opposed to the Empire, you usually find yourself 'throwing in' with them at some point. What I like about Skyrim is you can side with the good ole' Empire yet again and continue to hunt Thalmor on the side. (Heh heh heh)
  • Miss Kr... Chibi G... 2012/09/13 23:25:32
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    +1
    Yes. Well, I did play Oblivion. But I couldn't get into Morrowind. At least we can all agree on killing Thalmor. I literally kill them every chance I get. haha
  • Chibi G... Miss Kr... 2012/09/13 23:45:07
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    And the Imperials will not shed a tear lol.

I must have spent 1000 hours playing Morrowind. It was the first game I'd ever seen that was remotely like it. I picked it up when it first came out and it seemed like the game I'd always been waiting to play! Of course, after Oblivion and Skyrim it seems downright primitive, if you go back and look at it.
  • Miss Kr... Chibi G... 2012/09/13 23:46:59
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    I guess I don't have the attention span to try and learn it. Skyrim was the first one I played, and then Oblivion...but man, Morrowind is hard! lol
  • Chibi G... Miss Kr... 2012/09/14 00:14:27
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    It was very difficult! At the time they didn't have a program algorithm where the game 'levels up' with you. They were still working out the bugs of the massive continuous world system they'd created. That's why, if you play Morrowind, and you're walking around outdoors, the game occasionally pauses and a window that says "Area Loading" appears!

So, like I said, the game doesn't level up as you do, so most of the game world will be 'too hard' because it's designed to challenge players at different levels and you just have to stay in the 'shallow water' until you are strong enough to proceed.

Unfortunately, it WAS kinda up to you to figure out when the water was getting too deep!
  • Solid S... Chibi G... 2012/10/13 01:19:45
    Solid Snake
    +1
    He did defeat the king in a fair duel.
  • Chibi G... Solid S... 2012/10/13 13:08:30
    Chibi Guru Z
    What if I liked the King? I know I still don't like Ulfric.

Still, I'm an 'old hand' at Elder Scrolls game so I kinda have a bias in favor of the Empire. It wasn't perfect but it was occaisionally a force for good.

And no Imperials ever object when I go Thalmor hunting on the side. They are the real enemy, in my estimation.
  • Solid S... Chibi G... 2012/10/15 00:07:55
    Solid Snake
    +1
    He challenged the king for the crown in fair combat, and won. Then the empire calls it murder, apprehends him and tries to lob off his head. That's corruption if I've ever seen it. I understand that the empire used to be righteous, but it isn't any more in Skyrim if you ask me.
  • Chibi G... Solid S... 2012/10/15 00:29:45
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    Ulfric Stormcloak is a fascist jackass who's jack-assery is not mitigated in the slightest by his claim that he is fighting "for his people". Every other feral bigot makes the same claim. I don't care if he beat the king in a fair game of batminton! I still DON'T LIKE HIM!

And as far as the Empire being righteous...well, I don't really need them to be. I play a guy who kills and loots bandits and occaisionally goes on a spot of Thalmor hunting just because...neither of these things make me righteous either. (As a student of History I have a sort of skeptical view of "righteousness").

I practice, in game, a kind of enlightened self-interest. It is not in my self interest that the world be overrun by dragons, demons from Oblivion, mad gods who live in volcanoes, etc. Aligning myself with a powerful force that opposes such things is a rational choice.

The Empire of Cyrodyyl is far, far from perfect. But every other alternative is even worse.
  • Miss Kr... Chibi G... 2012/10/15 00:31:58
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    +1
    Good point. I think they wanted to show that it isn't always black and white. Both sides have their good and bad, and it feels more real that way. A game that makes you think is a good game, in my mind.
  • Chibi G... Miss Kr... 2012/10/15 00:55:47
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    I agree completely! (And isn't it interesting that a "video game" can inspire so much thought proivoking discussion). But the black/white/grey areas make the Elder Scrolls a living, breathing game world. Your choices go beyond kill monster/grab treasure. You ask yourself how much are you willing to compromise! You find yourself supporting and being supported by some very imperfect, very human people.

The folks at Bethesda games have done a masterful job at taking a form that has been a mere entertainment/diversion and brought it closer to...being everything it could be! Games can do things movies can't, like place you in an environment and let you write your own story. When I first played "Morrowind" I thought "this is the closest I've seen to being the game I always wanted to play!"
  • Miss Kr... Chibi G... 2012/10/15 00:59:05
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    Yeah, exactly! The only thing that could make an Elder Scrolls game better would be to involve personal relationships like they do in Bioware games. Sometimes I feel a little lonely wandering the world with no real connection to another being. It would be extremely complex and time consuming, so I don't know how they'd be able to do it, but it would be the ultimate game!
  • Chibi G... Miss Kr... 2012/10/15 01:03:46
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    They'll get there soon! There's a down load on X-box live that lets you buy land, build your own house, and adopt children! It's a little more progress...
  • Miss Kr... Chibi G... 2012/10/15 01:06:18
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    +1
    Yeah, that's really cool! I will have to get it when I can spend money again. lol
  • Chibi G... Miss Kr... 2012/10/15 01:13:04
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    =) When you spend money again....

I hear a lot of that, these days....o_o
  • Miss Kr... Chibi G... 2012/10/15 01:13:50
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    +1
    And that, my friend, is another topic entirely. Better suited in the politics section. LOL
  • Chibi G... Miss Kr... 2012/10/15 14:51:02
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    Lol...I didn't know it was a partisan issue. Everyone I know complains about money these days....

Chin up Miss Kris...it will get better...at some point :-)
  • Solid S... Chibi G... 2012/10/15 23:54:09
    Solid Snake
    +1
    Okay, okay. Personally I usually join the companions who don't take sides in the war.
  • Merry 2012/09/13 20:50:39 (edited)
  • Miss Kr... Merry 2012/09/13 20:52:02
    Miss Kris the Centrist
    +1
    But the Thalmor are the ultimate racists, and they pretty much control the Empire.

2014/10/02 14:32:48