Sikh Temple Massacre Casts Light on White-Power Rock: Censor Hate Music?

Fef 2012/08/09 21:00:00
The murderer who killed six members of the Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wisconsin founded a white-power rock group in 2005. This connection exposed a link between hate groups and their music, which includes lyrics of hateful acts toward minorities, Jews and non-whites.

Marilyn Mayo monitors hate groups for the Anti-Defamation League. Mayo told the AFP, "Hate music helps bring haters together into a shared community." Hate groups and their members meet through hate music and hate-music festivals.

“Racist music is what keeps the movement young” and sets it apart from the image of white-hooded Ku Klux Klan members “sitting on the front porch with a shotgun,” said one-time skinhead Frank Meeink on MSNBC television. Do you think hate music should be censored? Will censoring this type of music prevent tragedies like the Wisconsin massacre from happening?

wisconsin massacre

Read More: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/08/sikh-temple-...

• Zuggi 2012/08/09 00:07:23
    Zuggi
    +19
    As much as I despise the speech, it's free speech. The same tests apply as for any speech.

• ghostrider 2012/09/09 03:26:43
    ghostrider
    'Haters' are going to hate, music or none ... there's enough precedent for government censorship already, don't add to it.
  • Walt 2012/09/02 11:29:17
    Walt
    If what is considered "hate music" is censored or banned, it will simply go underground. It's better to have the animosity of fringe elements right out in the open.
  • Food Stamp Papa 2012/08/28 21:18:54 (edited)
    Food Stamp Papa
    i'm suprised no one on here has spoken about banning death metal and black metal
  • Larre 2012/08/15 22:21:34
    Larre
    Just as there is day and night, there is good and evil, right and wrong, love and hate. These will never change, but at the same time, we have to learn not to play the role of the bad guy in the process. It can be a learning experience as well as a double edged sword. We choose what role to play in this constant shifting of time. Hopefully it will be one of love and light, rather than one of hate and darkness.
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/08/13 22:56:55
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    Censoring it takes it out of the light and keeps it in the dark where it festers and grows. 1st amendment, let them stand up and let us know what they believe, and we need to treat them appropriately. Look, people....these guys don't live in a vacuum...keep your wits about you and report the ones that really make you nervous. There's usually good reason!
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2012/08/13 22:53:38
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +2
    I don't like hate music. But where does censorship stop once you start?
  • johnnyg 2012/08/13 21:51:26
    johnnyg
    YES!! Censor free speech!! Music sucks censor it!! Censor EVERYTHING!! Censor SodaHead!!
  • Man_Bear_Pig 2012/08/13 19:58:18
    Man_Bear_Pig
    +2
    2livecrew banned

2livecrew

We tried doing that in the 80's but it only increased publicity and eventually increased record sales.
  • Food St... Man_Bea... 2012/08/28 21:12:14
    Food Stamp Papa
    sure did
  • ~HopelessRomanticM17~ 2012/08/13 19:45:52
    ~HopelessRomanticM17~
    Hate music?!?! What?!
  • voice_matters 2012/08/13 19:24:10
    voice_matters
    +1
    perhaps we should censor lib threads that support unconstitutional acts
  • El Prez 2012/08/13 19:14:58
    El Prez
    We can't do that! Once started never ending.
  • hardcore!!! 2012/08/13 18:17:20
    hardcore!!!
    It's a first amendment right.
  • ★Calliope★ 2012/08/13 18:16:08
    ★Calliope★
    Not everyone that listens to this music is a racist. If that were the case then we have a whole lot of folks hating women, cops, whites and other flavors.
  • xcheshirecat 2012/08/13 17:53:30
    xcheshirecat
    +1
    Killings are done by crazy people, not by music
  • Mungu 2012/08/13 17:23:52
    Mungu
    I love some hate music.............

For instance I hate bad tasting food.

Have you ever went over a friends house to eat And the food just ain't no good
    I mean the macaroni's soggy the peas are mushed And the chicken tastes like wood

So you try to play it off like you think you can By sayin' that your'e full
    And then your friend says momma he's just being polite He ain't finished uh uh that's bull

So your heart starts pumpin' and you think of a lie And you say that you already ate
    And your friend says man there's plenty of food So you pile some more on your plate

While the stinky foods steamin'
    your mind starts to dreamin'
    Of the moment that it's time to leave
    And then you look at your plate and your chickens slowly rottin' Into something that looks like cheese

Oh so you say that's it I got to leave this place I don't care what these people think
    I'm just sittin' here makin' myself nauseous With this ugly food that stinks

So you bust out the door while it's still closed Still sick from the food you ate
    And then you run to the store for quick relief From a bottle of Kaopectate

And then you call your friend two weeks laterf To see how he has been
    And he says I understand about the food Baby bubbah but we're still friends

Read more: SUGARHILL GANG - RAPPERS...
    I love some hate music.............

For instance I hate bad tasting food.

While the stinky foods steamin'
    your mind starts to dreamin'
    Of the moment that it's time to leave

Read more: SUGARHILL GANG - RAPPERS DELIGHT LYRICS http://www.metrolyrics.com/ra...
    Copied from MetroLyrics.com
  • Tannenberg1993 2012/08/13 16:42:28
    Tannenberg1993
    +1
    Even so, it's up to private citizens to discourage the next generation from adopting hateful sentiments. Quite a task...
  • don nh 460 2012/08/13 15:45:28
    don nh 460
    +3
    If one type of music is banned what's next ?
    Reggie cause it is related to dope?
    Liberachi piano music cause he was gay?
    Polka music? Blues? Jazz? Gregorian chants?
    This is crazy!!! What ever happened to free thinking?
    I'm sure this would go to far once implemented and Obama would be blamed. censors
  • Michael 2012/08/13 15:14:19
    Michael
    There are other things that bring degenerates together. Free speech, as scary as it is, does not differentiate them only.
  • Wahvlvke 2012/08/13 13:27:03
    Wahvlvke
    I'm all for it if it means rap and hip-hop would be included.
  • gary Wahvlvke 2012/08/13 14:37:14
    gary
    no way man, rap is more mainsteam then country and rock music. I'm a hill billy rap boy in his late 40's. Love it.
  • Joe Blow gary 2012/08/13 15:09:20 (edited)
    Joe Blow
    +1
    "rap is more mainsteam then country and rock music"

It's also the least regarded form of (so-called) music from a musical and technical standpoint.

A lot of those morons don't play instruments or even have a LIVE band of musicians backing them. Reciting half-baked poetry over per-recorded loops and samples is the new trend of musical mediocrity. If John McLaughlin thinks Smooth Jazz and Funky Jazz is mediocre, I can imagine his opinion on this GHETTO-ASS Rap culture that's infested the music scene in the last 20 years or so. Punk Rockers can now afford the luxury of no longer being the scapegoats for musical aspersion. By the way, I'm primarily talking about Rap. Some of the Hip-Hop artists aren't that bad; at least they sing actual lyrics.
  • Wahvlvke gary 2012/08/14 14:13:47
    Wahvlvke
    I am sorry for your mental disorder.
  • gary Wahvlvke 2012/08/14 18:48:01
    gary
    I'm in line with you bud.
  • Xed0 2012/08/13 09:02:41
    Xed0
    +2
    You can start with Justin Beiber, and rap.
  • Johann 2012/08/13 06:04:32 (edited)
    Johann
    Second time hearing about hate music since that one time in West Virginia last decade if I recall properly. Not my thing and more of a setback if belonging. Rational minds need not go there.

Postscript: Meant to hit Yes.
  • nbarton2 2012/08/13 03:31:49 (edited)
    nbarton2
    +1
    Once again you get in to freedom of speech and where do you draw the line? What about "kill the police" songs or songs with "bitch" and "whore" and other terms that are derogatory and hateful towards women?
  • joan.sloane 2012/08/13 03:06:15
    joan.sloane
    As sick and reprehensible as all hate groups are, censorship is a dangerous road to travel. I’ve never heard any white power music but, surly the brainless hate music put out by the Westboro Baptist church must be equally gross. Some rap music have lyrics that would surely offend any number of people and organizations. Who do we start censoring and where does it stop? These groups are very good at crossing the line just far enough while keeping under the protection of constitution.
  • Kingarthurup 2012/08/13 00:14:15
    Kingarthurup
    +1
    Sensor Political Correctness.... and open up everyone's eyes to reality.
  • JCD aka "biz" 2012/08/12 22:11:10
    JCD aka "biz"
    +1
    A good racist is a dead racist.
  • Bibliop... JCD aka... 2012/08/13 07:13:30
    Bibliophilic
    A huge percentage of the population is racist. That doesn't make it right, however, don't dehumanize racist people- this makes it easier for us to describe them as monsters. They aren't monsters- just people who are ignorant, buy into stereotypes or are brainwashed.
  • JCD aka... Bibliop... 2012/08/13 07:19:41
    JCD aka "biz"
    Some of them are possibly just ignorant.
  • gary Bibliop... 2012/08/13 14:39:48
    gary
    their better of dead don't you think.
  • Osama McDonalds 2012/08/12 22:02:42
    Osama McDonalds
    I wish there was a 'not sure' button. In general, I don't think music should be censored. But, there ARE some forms of free speech that are not protected. A call that blatantly incites violence against a certain group might not be a protected speech.
  • disclaimer 2012/08/12 21:38:50
    disclaimer
    I have to say no because people in this country have rights. There's no proof that hate music causes people to behave a certain way. If this kind of music were banned, we'd probably have to ban music from, oh, ALL of the rappers.
  • Ozymandias 2012/08/12 20:38:25
  • TasselLady 2012/08/12 20:38:11
    TasselLady
    +1
    That's one of the major reasons our country is becoming more and more divided, because of idiots like this guy who spread nothing but hate.
  • DDogbreath 2012/08/12 20:27:46
    DDogbreath
    +2
    Nothing should ever be censored period.

censorship

censored period
  • Derbyhat 2012/08/12 18:45:41
    Derbyhat
    Absolutely NO, however, there are some things that just turn the stomach of most people. To me the type of "music" or "creative hate" belong in the same social category as child pornography. One is strictly illegal and despicable, while the other is just as close as a coat of paint on the wall and equally despicable. Yet some "sing" the praises of ALL free speech and even play it in the company of children who would be harmed.

In a high school classroom holiday party, our teacher stepped out of the room, then someone put on a Rusty Warren LP and played it low as we listened to a small part of her performance. It was risque' and inappropriate and some may have blushed, but that was mild compared to the brash, in your face defiance that some force on others. In private, your "sounds" are yours at your pleasure or downfall.

I just can't see some people living a festering life over mostly imagined issues and prejudices. I don't condemn the guns, just the evil minds that some use to commit their crimes, then as surviving offenders use to get a "diagnosis" amounting to HATE so they can receive the hospitality and comfort of some parts of the judicial system for an easy ride and a place in the public conversation as sort of a door prize.
  • dominic garcia 2012/08/12 18:06:01
    dominic garcia
    Anyone who listens to this kind of music is mentally ill and obviously dangerous!!!! They are the ones who should go on the Obama/Pelosi radical's hit list!! They would say different, since they are radicals themselves. "Watson I say we have a big problem" ;o)

2014/09/02 17:44:21