Should Video Games Feature Obese Characters?

Fef 2012/05/09 20:34:40

Obese Video Game Character
3 of 9

Obese Video Game Character

Don't expect it any time soon.
  1. Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider

Lara Croft has a very realist body in a realistic game (ha)

2. Pretty gamers exist

Pretty gamers exist

but they already have boyfriends

3. Obese Video Game Character

Obese Video Game Character

Don't expect it any time soon.

4. Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama

doesn't like anyone playing video games

5. Typical gamer

Typical gamer

just kidding! Most gamers I know don't look like this guy. But they may grow up to look like this guy

6. I met a girl gamer

I met a girl gamer

7. Fat Video Game Character

Fat Video Game Character

the only one I could find doing an image search

8. John Madden ain't skinny

John Madden ain't skinny

EA Football... it's in the game!

9. Wario ain't svelte

Wario ain't svelte

Wario from Super Mario -- they make the bad guys heavy

Who you calling weight-challenged!?
Video games should only feature beautiful people
Video games always feature great-looking, healthy, fit or muscular characters -- which rarely portray the actual gamers playing the games. They want to create a fantasy for the consumer with adventure, car racing, fighting or whatever... by maybe video games could help boost the confidence of their obese audience by featuring fat (ahem) weight-challenged characters.
video game fat
yeah, I don't really believe that either but I like the picture ;)

• Pat 2012/05/09 20:42:01
    It's a game. The players are supposed to be strong, athletic etc. Fat wouldn't fit.

• Trevor Philips 2015/03/24 00:06:04
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Trevor Philips
    Saints Row has features that make that possible, and that is what I love about the series. They promote equality in endless aspects. The Boss is likely bisexual, but this is more obvious when playing as a female. And females are depicted as great leaders; I.E. Viola and Kiki. Gender equality is wide range, as Killbane agrees to fight the Protagonist even if they are female. A lot of men wouldn't do that; the game isn't gender specific as far as The Boss, because he/she is referred to as "they" and stuff, but still.
  • zeldamaster17~平和 2015/02/10 01:03:34
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    O.o you think a fat overweight guy could do anime flips and kicks and shizz to save the world? Forcing a character into a setting for no real reason other than to appeal to a demographic is irritating and for me, a writer, dishonest.
  • Neko Vermillion 2014/06/04 07:10:38
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Neko Vermillion
    I wasn't bothered by Street Fighter's Rufus or Tekken's Bob. So, I say BRING ON THE HEAVY WEIGHTS!

• Alan Smithee 2014/03/21 16:42:58
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Alan Smithee
    Videogames should start updating the NPC demographic to the actual fat sacks we are rather than the skinny homogenous Finnish we ain't.

Although boring as hell and an awkward "bonding experience for the folks" I at least understand the niche Nintendo were going for with it's sports and fitness game lines.

Good for them, closest thing yet so far to getting bones and flesh off the couch in droves.

Hopefully when the OpenVR standard kicks off that even basement dwellers will get some cardio.
  • Elk 2014/01/09 06:14:40
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    video Games should incorporate characters fit for the story, and since commonly video games are about action and such, muscular and fit characters fit the bill.

I can think of some games with what seem to be overweight characters though.
    Steiner - FFIX
    Yangus - Dragon Quest VIII
    Gragas - League of Legends
    Mario and Luigi are pretty pudgy too.

Just to name a few.
  • Cymech Dragon 2013/09/09 23:12:01
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Cymech Dragon
    In most games, only one kind of character should be featured: the one that fits for the story being told and the action going on. Anything else is excessive while you get the option too often in games with a character-creation to make your daydream fat model.
  • SpiroSwagnew 2013/09/02 12:59:51
  • Metaldane 2013/07/11 14:10:05
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    What are you talking about? Plenty of games allow you to make a chubby and even heavily obese character: saints row, some of the gta games, the sims, the fable series.

I could go on but I don't see the point.
  • ♊ (g℮mıƞı) 2013/06/06 19:38:30 (edited)
    ♊ (g℮mıƞı)
    fat people aren't active like characters in video games. the characters are supposed to represent healthy, strong characters, who won't have a problem fighting or adventuring (or whatever it is the video game is about). be realistic.

Mario is usually considered fat, though. chubby
  • MrBubblegum 2013/04/25 05:17:43
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    imagine when playing CoD your character runs for a few seconds then stops mid battle field to gasp for air
  • stranger 2013/04/22 23:44:21
    wouldn't befit the game if they have some high fitness high fighter who is fat. it would be unauthentic, false, deceitful
  • peureux 2012/12/17 19:43:44
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    LOL The gabe newell hl3 pic
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/29 18:17:43
  • Kevin Verdone 2012/07/10 03:01:08
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Kevin Verdone
    Uncharted already did it

• AngryGabby 2012/06/14 19:18:28
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Eddie from Silent Hill 2 is overweight and when people chastise him for it, it makes him a psycho killer. The game of course isn't realistic, but his situation is, which is why I like his character.

"It doesn't matter if you're smart, dumb, ugly, pretty. It's all the same once you're dead!"

eddie silent hill
  • Tom 2012/05/12 17:11:11
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    They Should, That is One of Their Biggest Demographics.
  • MYSTIC MYSTIQUE 2012/05/12 00:47:43
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    in games their mostly crimals or zombies :/
  • Kat ♪ ~ ♪ 2012/05/11 12:42:04
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Kat ♪ ~ ♪
    Who cares? It's a game.
  • apostate 2012/05/10 20:10:43
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    I love decapitating the fat guys with my shovel in Postal 2.

Sweet! Now I can do it in slow motion... shotgun decapitations are the best!!!
  • Bibliophilic 2012/05/10 18:33:11
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Anything is better than bone thin women that have gigantic basketballs for breasts and wear skintight and impractical clothing. Real people in video games would be nice.

Obese? I don't know. Not in an action-game, because that would be unrealistic. Fat? Sure, why not. I play games because they're interesting- not to to moon over unrealistically proportioned people.
  • Claybern 2012/05/10 16:39:26
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Who cares?
  • lucky 2012/05/10 12:01:31
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Some already do, some of the RPG games available allow people to gain weight or you can form your character be overweight. Take Fable 3 for instance, you eat the wrong foods or too much food and you get fat. Personally when it comes to RPGs I like the realism of what you eat affecting your weight.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/05/10 06:06:43
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
  • Kyle 2012/05/10 05:06:51
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Be realistic here, people want to play games where the characters can do amazing stunts and accomplish remarkable feats, how the hell is some fat-ass who wheezes every fourth step gonna do any of that stuff?
  • xxx 2012/05/10 03:52:19
    I dont agree with the term "Video games should only feature beautiful people". That’s a pretty lame statement. Anyways, by agreeing to have “obese” characters in games you’re pretty much sending the msg out that its OK to be fat, not just fat tho, VERY fat. Sure if you have a legit health issue but in reality ITS NOT! So why encourage the thought that it’s healthy to be obese? Besides there are already some over-weight characters. Video games show active characters and staying active keeps the fat off. Can you imagine an obese character scaling a wall or running at stupid speeds? I think not. They would have to be LIGHTER in weight to go quickly…

*NOTE* There is a difference between over-weight and obese. I'm going by the topic description which uses the word obese.
  • xxx xxx 2012/05/10 03:58:19
    P.s. Just in ref to the pic with a pretty "girl gamer". Don't know if people realize this but it's real easy to take a pic if you're good looking holding a contoller. Tbh, I know of some chicks who DONT play games but for some reason post pics of them holding one. Why? Hmmm... maybe because it's the internet and it's easy portray yourself a certain way, especially if you're an attention whore like many are and do it for the 'likes' seeing as though it's cool to be a gamer now. Just saying =)
  • Yaati 2012/05/10 02:42:15
    While I don't think video games should exclusively feature 'beautiful people', I do believe that most video game characters *are* skinny/athletic because realistically that's how'd they'd look in the life they're living. Like RPG characters. They're running around more than half the time and when they aren't running, they're fighting (or talking with a NPC, but mostly fighting). It'd only make sense for them to be skinny/fit. e_e

Oh, but hey! You have the Sims! Successful fat people roam there all the time.

obese sim

But yea. An obese Laura Croft wouldn't be raiding tombs for long.
  • YeahISaidIt 2012/05/10 02:27:02
    Why so large people can then complain that the fatties die first because they can't outrun the hungry, horde of zombies? Just one more thing for people to scream about. They're not saying anything about not being in the games so let's not give them something to bitch about.
  • lonewolf 2012/05/10 01:59:58
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    a little variety would be a nice change.
  • byz 2012/05/10 01:45:43
  • ImageBandit ~ American Patriot 2012/05/10 01:24:22
    ImageBandit ~ American Patriot
    sexy big boob  gamer

kinda depends on where the fatness occurs
  • Xinea 2012/05/10 01:11:19
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Granted he's a villain, but....
    there's Porky from Earthbound.
    porky pokey earthbound
  • AnoSayWa 2012/05/10 00:30:04
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Does it really matter? It's based on the nature of the game and what the designers want to represent. I don't think they should do it to boost confidence, but rather because that's the story they want to portray.
  • AmericanVirus 2012/05/10 00:18:04
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Leave it up to the game designers. It's about artistic integrity, not what's pc
  • cupcakes 2012/05/10 00:17:00
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
  • Anonymousforobvious 2012/05/09 23:32:13
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    What about pigsy?
    pigsy manhunt
  • Chase Martin 2012/05/09 23:16:45
    Who you calling weight-challenged!?
    Chase Martin
    gta does!! ahahahah!!!! they make a bigger bump when you run 'em over!! :{
  • Kyle Chase M... 2012/05/10 05:09:56
  • blissful 2012/05/09 22:59:01 (edited)
    Video games can feature Big beautiful people and average sized people. This is the problem with people in this world today. You have to have a certain look to be accepted. Just Rediculious!! Lol!-lol!why can t i be me
  • Dawn 2012/05/09 22:56:12
    Fighting video game characters & WWE games & sports game characters are hot because they're always working out, they're fit and they're active; hence the tight and toned bods. You get what you work for and can you really picture Batman running from rooftop to rooftop in Gotham, beating up bad guys as a 250-lb heavyweight? Besides, there are some obese characters.

running rooftop rooftop gotham beating guys 250-lb heavyweight obese characters
    fat video game characters
    fat video game characters

2015/11/26 16:02:26