Should Twitter Take Down 'Cut4Bieber' Trending Topic?

Fergie 2013/01/09 22:00:00
We told you earlier this week that Justin Bieber was caught on camera smoking marijuana, and the majority of you voted that it was "no big deal," but hardcore Bieber fans are not taking it lightly.

In fact, some fans are so distressed that they have resorted to cutting themselves in protest. "Cut4Bieber" has been a trending topic on Twitter throughout the week, and a quick search on the site will produce pictures of slit wrists, arms and even castrations. While many of these are jokes or fake, enough of them are believed to be real that it has become a concern.

The New York Daily News explains that the campaign started when a 4Chan.org user posted a thread stating, "Let's start a cut yourself for bieber campaign. Tweet a bunch of pics of people cutting themselves and claim we did it because bieber was smoking weed. See if we can get some little girls to cut themselves."

What do you think? Should Twitter take down the "Cut4Bieber" topic since it is causing a harmful trend among children, or should it be allowed because the majority of people are treating it like a joke?

NYDAILYNEWS.COM reports:
Justin Bieber fans have proven themselves a force to be reckoned with, but some might have gone too far by participating in a maliciously false trending topic that sparked outrage Monday night.
force reckoned participating maliciously false trending topic sparked outrage monday

Read More: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/cu...

• lily 2013/01/11 00:03:53
    lily
    +13
    Yes they should. I think that celebrity's are role models and alot of children look up to them. Young girls shouldn't be cutting themselves Over a celebrity. Is this what society's done to children? Action should be taken

• hajkorten 2013/02/25 03:24:21
  • Pureblood_ 2013/02/21 04:44:23
    Pureblood_
    No need these stupid trends don't last.
  • Mikayla Simons 2013/02/19 21:50:27
    Mikayla Simons
    Stupid people they think he has no feeling bieber I love you I didn't mean to vote no I meant to vote yes I love you Justin bieber!
  • Lizzy Skizzorz 2013/02/10 23:12:59
    Lizzy Skizzorz
    "Cut4Bieber" is incredibly stupid. There are people with a real reason or disorder and they cut. This is stupid.
  • fallen angel 2013/02/08 16:21:03
    fallen angel
    it just wrong >:(
  • Swordfish 2013/01/28 01:19:03
    Swordfish
    Censorship isn't the answer.
  • Mel 2013/01/22 09:41:17
    Mel
    +1
    OM MY GOSH YES!!!!! cutting is not a joke and this boy is certainly not worth damaging your body for nor is any boy or man for that matter even if they happen to be famous
  • Travis Lamb 2013/01/18 18:44:46
    Travis Lamb
    +1
    I think parents of impresionable kids should not allow them unlimeted access to the internet. If you let your dumb kids surf the web mindlessly(how Bieber was made) you shouldn't be shocked that they are engaging in dangerous or risky behavior.
  • codie.paul 2013/01/17 18:57:24 (edited)
    codie.paul
    +3
    He should not only do that but take town his account and all others. And just disappear. He had his run. I say hes talentless. He was once talented though. A long ass time ago. That shipped has sailed and crashed. Hes just annoying talentless and a wannabe hipster And the 90s boyband look like is played out. But i agree he should be a man and speak up about it but he's not a man so nevermind on that one. And really he does pot? Haha. Well he has to do something for attention. Cant be any worse then his career. Haha.
  • rose 2013/01/17 16:18:01
    rose
    +1
    This is so dumb if your are a true fan why would you encourage another fan to cut themselves to prove a point.Learn from it don't hurt yourself.
  • IMIE 2013/01/16 18:10:10
    IMIE
    +1
    it's crazy how some people will cut there selves over something that wasn't even true
  • Cory Robinson 2013/01/16 05:14:13
    Cory Robinson
    +2
    Beiber fans are stupid
  • davidson5270 2013/01/16 03:19:40
    davidson5270
    +2
    Honestly I'm a big fan of the 'survival of the fittest' idea, and if people want to cut themselves over a person they've never even met smoking weed, then I feel like it betters the rest of us. But actually no I don't want people killing themselves, I'm just really hoping their parents will see the cuts and take action. This is such a stupid trend.
  • Sunny 2013/01/14 19:55:12 (edited)
    Sunny
    +1
    Not that I hate Bieber or something, it's just getting ridiculous, little girls getting all fanatical like this and for what? Everyone chooses his own actions
  • JustMe 2013/01/14 10:36:09
    JustMe
    if it violates TOS or causes people to harm themselves. But if this stuff is really going on and is this much of a problem then perhaps Beiber should step up and say something like a PSA
  • Ramón 2013/01/14 03:57:48
    Ramón
    +1
    I meant to click yes! Yes! Radical 1st Amendmentistas would have us keep an unaltered 1st Amendment. It's time to ban certain words. There are hundreds of thousands of words in English, and more being invented all the time. We have to act to save lives now! Ban Cut4Bieber, and while we're at it ban at least the first 120 words that hurt, that bullies use to cut souls. Words can kill. Words can have a lasting impact on emotional and mental health. The radical and perverse NRA (National Rhetorical Association) are the cause of the virtual freebasing of words and directly responsible for the deaths of thousands. For every Thoreau there is an Erin Gallagher, Amanda Todd, and Felicia Garcia. What is it going to take before we defeat the NRA and ban words!

(This was written in the spirit of "A Modest Proposal" by Swift.)
  • cinseattle61 2013/01/14 03:17:05
    cinseattle61
    +4
    Stupid! Makes you wonder what they will do when he comes out of the glitter closet.
  • Future ... cinseat... 2013/01/19 22:51:51
    Future Timelord
    HAHA! Awesome!!
  • william.d.wright.3 2013/01/13 21:30:26
    william.d.wright.3
    +1
    This should be cut out (excuse the pun!) because no web site let alone a person should influence someone to try anything rash like this. Of course, Bieber is now of majority age and has a right to try anything he wants, but he also has a responsibility to fans and younger fans in particular to show some responsible behaviors. He also needs to look like he means business and this means sporting better looking clothing (Like putting on the correct size tuxedos shirt and tuxedo at the next awards show he either presents at or wins at). And most of all, if he wish sot engage in a non-repsonsible look, better he do it behind closed doors in the privacy of his home (note I said home, not car) where prying eyes won't be taking pictures of his off-public look behavior. Yes we all do things we have been ashamed of, but with this guy in the public eye much of the time, would it not be better in 25 years for him to say that his fans hadn't witnessed such stupidity in public? I think so, especially if he wants to be around this scene for 25 to 35 years as he says he wants to. Remember Elvis and what happened to him at 42? Not pretty!
  • Charlie 2013/01/13 18:15:37
    Charlie
    +1
    I dont stand for it but who cares
  • T 2013/01/13 13:13:54
    T
    +1
    Censorship is never the answer. I think one solution would be to ista-link people who tweet this hash-tag to the help they need, or at least an informative page that explains to them that something is wrong with them, and how they can get help.
  • Lily loves minions 2013/01/13 12:48:18
    Lily loves minions
    Yes because I love Justin bieber
  • S123 Lily lo... 2013/01/13 18:12:55
    S123
    +1
    Why? These are trolls trying to get little girls to cut themselfs. Do you think this realy wil get him to stop smoking pot?
  • flecktarn.australia 2013/01/13 10:27:50
    flecktarn.australia
    +3
    Shows how stupid kids are. Parents should be teaching them right from wrong - if they can even remember themselves.
  • Avi Rosen 2013/01/13 06:59:56
    Avi Rosen
    the sooner the better
  • Lupe Hickey 2013/01/13 06:41:03
    Lupe Hickey
    +4
    If the purpose of this was to make young girls harm themselves, I say yes.
  • Mo 2013/01/13 04:55:11 (edited)
    Mo
    +1
    I don't like big daddy stepping in. Seems like people should be responsible for their own actions, even young people. anyway this sounds like a hoax.
  • BrianHolt 2013/01/13 03:28:58
    BrianHolt
    +1
    natural slection at work
  • SunshineInTheClouds 2013/01/13 02:44:04
    SunshineInTheClouds
    +1
    Of course. If that's what their doing to young girls then there's a serious problem
  • pinkjae 2013/01/13 02:42:09
    pinkjae
    +1
    I don't care who you are i would never purposly harm myself over something stupid that you did! Bieber fans just need to calm down and take a chill pill!
  • lmnlme10921 2013/01/12 23:41:50
    lmnlme10921
    +2
    Although you'd have to be an idiot to actually believe that cutting will get him to stop, I think it'd be best to take it down. This whole thing just baffles me. I mean, even if you are upset enough over this to cut yourself, it's his damn life and let him do what he wants with it. You're going to spend the rest of your life with scars, all because some stupid celebrity decided to get high. All this is doing is showing people how abundant stupidity is these days.
  • Nia 2013/01/12 20:48:29
    Nia
    I don't think I can say this enough..... BIEBER FANS ARE CRAZY!! TOTAL SOCIOPATHS! Who cares what he does? It's his life. Let him suck in all the poisonous smoke he wants to. People do it on the street and I don't see others cutting themselves for them. They make a big deal about everything he does. He gets a tattoo, they go crazy. He starts smoking, they go crazy. He dates Selena Gomez, they go crazy. It seems like Justin can't do anything without his fans "permission."
  • PurpleHaze 2013/01/12 19:17:55
    PurpleHaze
    and the worse part of it is people bashing on real issues like self harm, thinking that it is one big joke.. self harm, which is a REAL mental illness is not a joke.
    And these girls need better role model to look up to. Justin Bieber? a role model to young girls? He's a joke.
  • Kirstin 2013/01/12 13:30:05
    Kirstin
    +4
    I am a cutter, and I hate that this is...... it's like making fun of those who cut because they have had difficult lives, isn't he an adult?
    This is just so bloody stupid ( excuse the pun )
  • S123 Kirstin 2013/01/12 17:53:59
    S123
    What does Justin being an adult have to do with the cutting tweets?
  • Dave 007 2013/01/12 12:53:52
    Dave 007
    Bieber is a douche bag!!
  • OceanbornChilde 2013/01/12 09:35:58 (edited)
    OceanbornChilde
    +1
    Nope! It was done for the lulz, and if someone is dumb enough to cut themselves because some douchebag pop star is smoking weed, then they deserve the Darwin award they will inevitably attain someday...and doesn't Twitter bar anyone under 13 years old from using the site? So if there are "children" on Twitter, then that's on the parents. I think people should be more focused on having an actual life and/or being proper parents rather than what's trending on Twitter.
  • Sunshin... Oceanbo... 2013/01/13 02:46:45
    SunshineInTheClouds
    +1
    Everyone lies on the Internet about their age.. That's not their parents fault.. That's like saying you punched someone, so it's your parents fault.
  • Luke Murphy 2013/01/12 09:33:35
    Luke Murphy
    +3
    I get the impression that the fans that are cutting themselves are doing so not because Beiber is doing drugs but because they feel like they are part of something. The more publicity 'cut 4 Beiber' gets, the more fans are influenced to take part because of the attention they will receive. These fans are most likely pre teens who are ruining their lives because some overrated singer is smoking marjuana, they may not think so now but in a few years time they'll have the scars to prove it.
  • Bandia 2013/01/12 08:48:28
    Bandia
    +3
    Don't take it down! This is another good way to cull out the shallow end of the gene pool.

2014/12/21 14:07:47