Should these disc jockeys face criminal charges?

L.A. Times 2012/12/10 16:02:51
Tearful and contrite, two Australian radio hosts Monday described themselves as heartbroken over the apparent suicide of the nurse in England who took their prank call seeking information about Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.

Mel Greig and Michael Christian said their impersonation of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles was a silly stunt that they never expected to succeed, let alone play a potential role in the death of Jacintha Saldhana, who worked at the hospital where Prince William's wife was being treated for acute morning sickness.

djs

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-w...

• Tylurr 2012/12/10 19:28:13
    Tylurr
    +20
    Good god, NO. NO NO NO.

NO the office gif

THEY didn't force her to kill herself. That was HER decision.

So you're telling me if someone I know kills themselves and had any sort of negative contact with anyone I don't like, I am hereby allowed to blame them to the point of criminal charges?

NO.

Oy...

• dru dixon 2012/12/11 00:50:07
    dru dixon
    It was a stupid prank!
  • RJeffreySavlov 2012/12/11 00:47:03
    RJeffreySavlov
    +2
    If they did it might teach the rest of those who perpetrate this type of low class pranks a lesson. Criminal proceedings trump FCC regulations.
  • Wake Th... RJeffre... 2012/12/11 01:02:42
    Wake The Sheeple
    +1
    FCC?... You know they are from Australia right?
  • Jiorgia RJeffre... 2012/12/11 02:06:26
    Jiorgia
    +1
    It is not against the law to ask for personal information in either Australian or British law, they didn't name either of the nurses they spoke to nor did they fraudulently claim to be someone else in order to receive said information, they impersonated The Queen and Charles but they didn't claim to be them.

It is however against the law for a hospital to disclose personal medical information without the patients consent in British law.
  • RezcrashGB 2012/12/11 00:36:44
    RezcrashGB
    +1
    No! but it was stupid , it was the act of kids .
    The shows bosses and the DJs have pushed something
    that might not have happend. What a shame for the family of the nurse.
    Just for a laugh eh .
  • baboula 2012/12/11 00:27:35
    baboula
    +2
    It turns out that she only transferred the call to the nursing station. It was another nurse that talked to them. I do not know for certain if England has the same privacy rules as in this country but this makes a good case for it. It appears Jacintha Saldhana had more serious problems than the tranfer of a call.
  • Charmaine 2012/12/11 00:27:30
    Charmaine
    uh no
  • Soundstorm 2012/12/11 00:25:55
    Soundstorm
    +1
    I'm no fan of prank comedy but the radio station seems to be overdoing the falling on their sword bit. The radio hosts had no control over the woman's decision to end her life over a public embarrassment. Their comedy show may have been tasteless and trivial but there's obviously a market for it. But I'm sure it won't be easy for them to renew their broadcast careers after this incident.
  • Of Thee I Sing... 2012/12/11 00:20:56
  • Chaya2010 2012/12/11 00:20:51
    Chaya2010
    +2
    It was sad and irresponsible they weren't to know the outcome of their thoughtless prank. My thoughts are with the children of the nurse, children and family.
  • Jack's Pearl 2012/12/11 00:18:24
    Jack's Pearl
    +2
    Not for the death of the nurse. That was something else all together in my opinion. A stunt like this happening is hardly something to make someone want to kill themselves. There was other sad stuff going on there. IMO.

Now, they should not have messed with Kate and her husband in the hospital. And the Queen may take issue with being impersonated. Maybe a slap on the wrist for that. I don't know. I don't know the laws there.
  • kmay 2012/12/11 00:17:42
    kmay
    +2
    As sad as it is for the woman's family, she obviously had other issues.
  • jgh57 2012/12/11 00:15:12
    jgh57
    +1
    I don't know that they broke any laws. What they did was wrong but it sounds like they work for a pretty sleezy company that rewards that type behavior. I feel terrible that this young woman killed herself but no one else is responsible for her death. She killed herself as sad as that might be.
  • ZERO 2012/12/10 23:50:52
  • xxx ZERO 2012/12/11 00:33:36
  • ZERO xxx 2012/12/11 02:53:39
    ZERO
    +1
    Bizarre. Maybe the timing of her suicide was just a coincidence.
  • addie 2012/12/10 23:50:02
    addie
    +2
    Not for the death, but it is illegal, well, here anyway, to broadcast someone without them knowing it.

The nurse giving personal info over the phone should be looked at as well. In the US she would have been fired right away. The dead one should be fired posthumously! lol
  • lmnlme1... addie 2012/12/11 00:05:37
    lmnlme10921
    +5
    Do you really not have the decency to respect someone who just recently passed away? Furthermore, you just tried to make a joke out of a suicide victim, which is so wrong that I don't even want to try to understand what line of thinking would lead you to believe that something like that would actually be considered humorous. It seems that depression and suicide are taken so lightly nowadays that anyone who really is suffering from it just seems like they are overreacting. Depression is a serious psychological disorder and should be treated as such.
  • addie lmnlme1... 2012/12/11 05:50:09
    addie
    You are a psycho!
  • lmnlme1... addie 2012/12/20 03:41:30
    lmnlme10921
    Psychosis is actually a mental break from reality, which I don't believe I have. And a trademark characteristics of actual psychopaths is a lack of sympathy or empathy for other human beings. Please do us all a favor and brush up on your psychology.
  • addie lmnlme1... 2012/12/20 04:10:06
    addie
    No, I know what I was saying, you have had a break with reality.
  • lmnlme1... addie 2012/12/20 04:25:04
  • addie lmnlme1... 2012/12/20 14:31:21
    addie
    Okay, fair enough, if you are answering me using, "Sheldon," it certainly denotes sanity!

However, I will say, I feel you over reacted and mis-interpreted my answer.
    It is not funny that she committed suicide, my point really just was the nurses were ethically and legally wrong, in talking to anyone and any medical person who did what they did, should be fired.
    I cannot apologize for thinking that the idea of someone being firing posthumously is a little funny to me.
  • Jiorgia addie 2012/12/11 02:07:49
    Jiorgia
    +2
    They didn't break any laws.

So the hospital should be taken to court, if anyone.
  • addie Jiorgia 2012/12/11 05:53:17 (edited)
    addie
    Is no one reading my comment before responding or agreeing with the people responding??
    Don't answer I am not going to read it.
    Getting tired of defending myself.
  • Jiorgia addie 2012/12/11 12:32:10
    Jiorgia
    +1
    You:
    "but it is illegal, well, here anyway, to broadcast someone without them knowing it. "

Me:
    "they didn't name either of the nurses they spoke to"

If you do not name the people you are broadcasting (on the radio) you do not have to have their permission to do so as their privacy has not been breached.

And then I agreed with you that the nurse (the remaining one) should be looked into as she/the hospital HAS broken a british law.
  • addie Jiorgia 2012/12/20 04:20:40
    addie
    Naming them is not the issue, what they may say, thinking it is a private conversation, is the issue. I'm pretty sure.
    On top of that the chatty nurses crossed a line. There is enough blame for everybody.
    The Queen is a multi Billionaire, the Royals can't sue anybody. lol
    Although, it is a good point about the hospital having to take some responsibility.
  • Jiorgia addie 2012/12/20 06:25:51
    Jiorgia
    In Australia and the UK, as long as they aren't named (and therefore cannot be attacked for their words) then no breach of privacy has been made, and they have not done anything wrong, not even in a civil court, the hospital found out who the nurses were because they came forward under their own volition.

Oh and the Queen is worth about $400-$450 million.
    None of the members of the royal family (or even the top 25 to the crown collectively) are even in the top 100 richest people in Britain.
  • addie Jiorgia 2012/12/20 14:38:11
    addie
    So you can get a person to say things believing it is not a public conversation as long as the person you are tricking's name stays private? Interesting law and too bad.

I have always heard billions. Thanks for the correction.
  • Jiorgia addie 2012/12/21 00:17:52
    Jiorgia
    Yep, because they cannot be attacked for what they have said (unless like the nurses they come forward).

Alot of people think that, and they would be too if they didn't donate almost everything they owned to the state, the royal family owns a couple of palaces, the crown jewels and the balmoral estate and earn an "income" through public funds to the tune of 41 million pounds a year (which covers security costs, general maintenance of palaces, travel to commonwealth nations [only] and state banquets) and actually live off of the interest earned from their net worth, or like the younger royals, work for a living.

Like when Prince Harry went to America this year, he paid for it himself from the money he earns in the Military.
  • Shadow Wolf 2012/12/10 23:45:35
    Shadow Wolf
    +2
    i dnt think they should be charged with the nurses death but i believe they should be charged with impersonation of the queen and invasion of privacy
  • meshell Shadow ... 2012/12/11 00:02:20
    meshell
    +2
    they asked and they were GIVEN the information. They didn't invade her privacy. It was given to them.
  • Jiorgia Shadow ... 2012/12/11 02:12:15
    Jiorgia
    +1
    They havent broken any laws.

• lmnlme10921 2012/12/10 23:31:23
    lmnlme10921
    +4
    This isn't a case of a kid committing suicide after being bullied; it was a joke that wasn't even serious. The call made it to the news and I heard it. The woman was pretending to be the Queen and asked the nurse when and if she would we able to visit Kate soon. They weren't doing it to humiliate or hurt the woman who took the call; they were just trying to see if they could pull off the impersonation. Plus, this doesn't even seem to be a reason why someone would kill herself. Is there any actual proof that this call led to her decision to take her life? Unless she left a note, there's really no way of knowing for sure. Plus, suicide isn't a spur of the moment thing. It takes a lot of consideration, and is a last resort for people who don't feel like the situation is getting any better. My guess is that the nurse had been thinking about taking her life for a while, and the call just happened to be placed before she made the final decision. Even if the prank was a trigger, which I doubt, her stressor must have come before that, and you can't pin the reason for the nurse's depression on the DJs if she was already feeling that way long before they made the call.
  • Tackytiger lmnlme1... 2012/12/14 00:02:44
    Tackytiger
    +1
    Taking her life own life because of this may seem extreme, especially as she had kids, but don't underestimate the emotion of shame - it can make ordinary people do very unusual things. Try to imagine what the workplace environment and internal culture is like in a hospital that treats the royal family, also how her colleagues might have reacted to her "letting the side down" as it were. Not to mention the hospital authorities whose claim of support for the nurse is far from convincing in my view. The whole point of a practical joke or prank is to make someone look stupid - I'm not saying the DJs should be villified any more than they have been, and I do feel a degree of sympathy for then too, but playing a prank on a hospital doesn't seem like such a good idea when you think about it....
  • lmnlme1... Tackytiger 2012/12/20 03:44:37
    lmnlme10921
    No, and the Royal family is probably one of the worst group of people to try to prank, considering their status. I did mention that it could have been a part of the reason behind her suicide, but, especially considering the fact that she had a family, I would think that a lot of other factors went into this decision as well.
  • addie Tackytiger 2012/12/20 14:45:47
    addie
    I would guess the suicide was a last straw, or something along those lines, but not the reason itself.
    If every person who humiliated themselves publicly, killed themselves, we would have a far smaller world population.
    She was suffering before this prank.
  • xxx 2012/12/10 23:29:37
  • meshell xxx 2012/12/11 00:06:52
    meshell
    +2
    forgotten in a couple of days accept to her, AND the DJ's that these arrogant people have layed the blame on... if for some insane reason he/she/they decide to neck themselves will those putting it on them take part in the blame.
  • xxx meshell 2012/12/11 00:29:11 (edited)
    xxx
    +1
    Exactly! Half the people who are still blaming them are confused about her actual role in it I've noticed. I think people are just so damn quick to blame others for someones actions. It may have been "immature" but she did this to her family. Not the DJs. They should be wondering how their mother/wife did this so willingly.

2014/04/21 07:04:04