Should these disc jockeys face criminal charges?

L.A. Times 2012/12/10 16:02:51
Tearful and contrite, two Australian radio hosts Monday described themselves as heartbroken over the apparent suicide of the nurse in England who took their prank call seeking information about Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.

Mel Greig and Michael Christian said their impersonation of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles was a silly stunt that they never expected to succeed, let alone play a potential role in the death of Jacintha Saldhana, who worked at the hospital where Prince William's wife was being treated for acute morning sickness.

djs

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-w...

• Tylurr 2012/12/10 19:28:13
    Tylurr
    +20
    Good god, NO. NO NO NO.

NO the office gif

THEY didn't force her to kill herself. That was HER decision.

So you're telling me if someone I know kills themselves and had any sort of negative contact with anyone I don't like, I am hereby allowed to blame them to the point of criminal charges?

NO.

Oy...

• Tobi 2012/12/11 02:47:08
    Tobi
    +3
    There was no criminal intent
  • JustMe 2012/12/11 02:45:45
    JustMe
    +1
    I must be missing something here, I have read both articles and I don't see what the big deal about the call was. All I see is that they pretend to be the Queen and Prince and asked for Kate Middleton's condition........
    So my questions are:
    1] What is the big deal about that?
    2] How could that possibly cause this nurse to kill herself?

Sorry, I just don't see it
  • Laura V... JustMe 2012/12/11 02:51:21
    Laura Vanderbooben
    +3
    I found i couldn't post again after i made my intitial comment, so i choose yours to add this into, it is the link for the actual prank call aired from australia. You will here Jacintha's voice, she is the one who actually takes the call and lasts all of about 5 seconds, the other nurse is the one who sounded oh sooo buzzin to be speaking to the queen that she quite happily volunteers any information they ask for without hesitation. Her delight quite clearly got the better of her judgement and she is the nurse who should be in question for her lack of skills. All beit she never gave away anything that was too sensitive, and i don't know how she didn't know it was not them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
  • JustMe Laura V... 2012/12/11 03:08:43
    JustMe
    +2
    Thank you. I just listened to that, and I do agree. Aside from being slightly embarrassed I still see no reason to think that this could have been any reason for someone to commit suicide. If she was that unstable to have done such a thing she should have been a patient and not a nurse.
  • Laura V... JustMe 2012/12/11 08:44:35
    Laura Vanderbooben
    This is why i don't believe she had done what she did out of that call. The responsibilty does not lay at her door because she passed the phone to a person who wanted to freely talk like the other nurse did. She sounded all to happy to give whatever information they asked, and all they did ask was how kate was doing. I say the only blame on the go is the lack of security about the situation and i think this is just another thing to add to the ever growing list of media censorship that is coming to a head, we already have the naked photo leaks, the naming of certain individuals allegedly linked to child abuse that were apparantly innocent and resulted in libel cases, and now this, a breech of security regarding a member of the royal family. I see this resulting in a complete censorship of what you can and can't say as regards independant media without it being OK'd by an independant "safely" selected body by gov't officials. Now this woman is dead we will never know exactly why she did what she did, but i truly believe it was not because she fell for a prank call. I also think that other nurses will have contributed to how she felt after they found out it was a prank, which in turn made the nurse who freely talked to the DJ's feel a bit of an idiot. The nurses are denying that ...
    This is why i don't believe she had done what she did out of that call. The responsibilty does not lay at her door because she passed the phone to a person who wanted to freely talk like the other nurse did. She sounded all to happy to give whatever information they asked, and all they did ask was how kate was doing. I say the only blame on the go is the lack of security about the situation and i think this is just another thing to add to the ever growing list of media censorship that is coming to a head, we already have the naked photo leaks, the naming of certain individuals allegedly linked to child abuse that were apparantly innocent and resulted in libel cases, and now this, a breech of security regarding a member of the royal family. I see this resulting in a complete censorship of what you can and can't say as regards independant media without it being OK'd by an independant "safely" selected body by gov't officials. Now this woman is dead we will never know exactly why she did what she did, but i truly believe it was not because she fell for a prank call. I also think that other nurses will have contributed to how she felt after they found out it was a prank, which in turn made the nurse who freely talked to the DJ's feel a bit of an idiot. The nurses are denying that the editors and producers of the 2day radio show ever contacted them to ask for permission to air the prank call, even though there are 5 records of phone calls made to the hospital, before they aired the pre recorded segment. There is again a certain amount of cover up and scapegoateing going on i feel and that includes the two radio presenters involved, i feel they have been used to show un-regulated media in a bad light to further the regulations the officials want to put in place. idk,...it's just all too fishy to me.... i smell kippers from kapour....
  • JustMe Laura V... 2012/12/11 08:49:49
    JustMe
    +1
    Yeah, this is obviously just a lame attempt at passing blame. Perhaps this nurse had a history of mental issues or tried to get help, then again perhaps it wasn't even suicide. Anyone who would fall for this needs help, and I do hope Scotland Yard isn't falling for the real sick joke here
  • Laura V... JustMe 2012/12/11 08:57:23
    Laura Vanderbooben
    It is a classic passing the buck again, and with our daft brit nurses they do a certain amount of covering each others backs for their failings and covering up discrepencies... Perhaps Jacintha did have issues, but her family have said that she never even mentioned the call, it was like she never even knew anything about it. They also said she was strong, bright and happy, but then she could have been masking how she felt, we will never know. But then like you said, anyone with any mental problems surely shouldn't have been a nurse. If she had been seeing anyone about her issues then she would have surely been advised not to work in the field she was in. idk... Tbh i think it's all a massive ploy to change laws on what can and can't be said by any un-regulated media. Those DJ's had been in that job for less than a week! crazy....
  • JustMe Laura V... 2012/12/11 09:01:34
    JustMe
    +1
    Yeah, I have listened to other "shock jocks" that have done far worse. I tend to agree with you. I definitely feel that the whole picture has not been revealed for reasons we will probably never know
  • Laura V... JustMe 2012/12/11 09:12:35
    Laura Vanderbooben
    +1
    Alas we will never know...Only what they want us to know and how to feel about it.
  • JustMe Laura V... 2012/12/11 09:17:29
    JustMe
    +1
    I have been saying that for years
  • Laura V... JustMe 2012/12/11 09:19:08
    Laura Vanderbooben
    +1
    Me too lol I believe non of it lol
  • JustMe Laura V... 2012/12/11 09:23:26
    JustMe
    +1
    yep, we're all mushrooms
  • Casey Laura V... 2012/12/11 08:09:03
    Casey
    +1
    Right Roger! I don't understand why she commited suicide! I listened too she didn't do anything wrong or to be embarrsed she simply transferred a call.
  • Laura V... Casey 2012/12/11 08:47:35
    Laura Vanderbooben
    +1
    Nothing to be embarresed about, nor to feel guilty about i know, i feel the guilt, if any, would have been placed to her by the nurse who felt an idiot and actually blabbed what she did after she found out it was a prank. But still we don't know how she died yet. But her family have stressed that Jacintha never mentioned anything about a prank call, nor nothing about any pressure or stress. In fact quite the opposite, she was lively, strong and well balanced.
  • Casey Laura V... 2012/12/11 08:59:44
    Casey
    +1
    I hope the blabber mouth is in serious trouble!
  • Laura V... Casey 2012/12/11 09:11:21
    Laura Vanderbooben
    +1
    Well we haven't heard anything about her....We don't even know who she is and she's the one who blabbed all that information, even though it was only, "oh she's fine, she's had fluids and she can't slepp properly because it's strange bed,...oh and visitng hours are at 9:00am and wills has gone home" ... not really all that sensitive i know, but still, who is she? and why hasn't she been asked anything yet. I've seen nothing of her in the media... Only about Jacintha and how she killed herself after falling for a prank call... well from what we can here it was the other nurse who fell for it really, so why isn't she been in the spotlight?? Jacintha quite clearly said after hearing ..

DJ's>> "I want to know how my grand-daughter is doing, how is kate"? ....
    Jacintha>> "Ok hold on please".
    Jacintha to blabber mouth nurse>> "somones asking about kate they say shes their grand-daughter" ...

Well you can bet your life that pompous nurse jumped up and said "i'll take the call" without a thought, and blabbed all she could in her poshest phone voice thinking she was clever .... Still it's nothing to do with Jacintha though. So why would she kill herself over that? She said nothing and heard nothing.
  • Casey Laura V... 2012/12/11 09:17:52
    Casey
    +1
    Exactly! I think it was a knee jerk reaction thinking that oh no what if someone finds out I'm a blabber mouth and lose my job bc of this and covering it up by her co workers suicide instead of being respectful and offering some real insight!
  • Reggie☮ 2012/12/11 02:39:24
    Reggie☮
    +4
    The woman who killed herself obviously was not in a state of good mental health. To kill yourself over a prank call is not normal.
  • Osama McDonalds 2012/12/11 02:20:49
    Osama McDonalds
    +2
    Criminal charges? No. Should they be fired from the station? Yes.
  • Cn2012 2012/12/11 02:09:39
    Cn2012
    +1
    It's a horrible thing, that the nurse committed suicide. But I can't see how they could have known something like that could result from their prank.
  • Jiorgia 2012/12/11 02:05:41
    Jiorgia
    It is not against the law to ask for personal information in either Australian or British law, they didn't name either of the nurses they spoke to nor did they fraudulently claim to be someone else in order to receive said information, they impersonated The Queen and Charles but they didn't claim to be them.

It is however against the law for a hospital to disclose personal medical information without the patients consent in British law.
  • swagbwoy 2012/12/11 02:04:01
    swagbwoy
    +1
    I firmly believe they should face criminal charges for what they have done they made the poor nurse felt guilty for deceiving the royals thinking it was the queen this is not so funny...
  • Silverl... swagbwoy 2012/12/11 02:30:20
    Silverlocust
    +2
    And what crime should they be prosecuted for?
  • ThePoll... swagbwoy 2012/12/11 02:31:13
    ThePollitician
    +1
    She probably didnt fully commit suicide because of them. She had other reasons.
  • Laura V... swagbwoy 2012/12/11 02:39:03
    Laura Vanderbooben
    Have you actually heard the prank call?
  • Tobi swagbwoy 2012/12/11 02:47:54
    Tobi
    Idiot, Prank Calling is not a crime
  • swagbwoy Tobi 2012/12/11 02:52:28
  • Tobi swagbwoy 2012/12/11 03:04:08 (edited)
  • rich Tobi 2012/12/11 13:41:50
    rich
    But it should be, that's the point. It is playing with people's lives, just like a Ponzi scheme is playing with people's lives. All wrong.
  • Jackass... swagbwoy 2012/12/11 03:10:46
  • Nightmusic 2012/12/11 01:47:06
    Nightmusic
    +3
    It's tragic, but you can't say they are responsible for her death. This woman's reaction to being pranked was way out of skew of what any normal person would have done.
  • Tobi Nightmusic 2012/12/11 08:42:03
    Tobi
    I'm actually surprised that it's the 2nd nurse that committed suicide and not the 1st
  • Gloria 2012/12/11 01:43:37
    Gloria
    +3
    And give them back their jobs.
  • Toymaker 2012/12/11 01:35:45
    Toymaker
    +1
    Hell no. I'll bet she had some real pressing issues before the prank.
  • lovemykiddos 2012/12/11 01:29:09
    lovemykiddos
    It would be pretty hard to prove that they were the sole and only cause for someone killing themselves.
  • I NEED A HORSE 2012/12/11 01:28:29
  • Kigan 2012/12/11 01:24:47
    Kigan
    +1
    Killing herself was her decision.

The prank was stupid, but she's the one who took her own life.
    stupid people are everywhere but only the ones that kill them self are their own murder suspect.
  • Sofahead 2012/12/11 01:17:18
    Sofahead
    +1
    Maybe for not clearing using the nurses' voice on the air but otherwise no.
    If the nurse did commit suicide because of this, she was already skating on very thin ice that almost anything could of cause her to act on the impulse, like the proverbial last straw.
  • Wake The Sheeple 2012/12/11 01:01:52
    Wake The Sheeple
    DID THEY KILL HER?! NO! she took her own life. What a dumb question.

2014/10/24 12:16:27