Should these disc jockeys face criminal charges?

L.A. Times 2012/12/10 16:02:51
Tearful and contrite, two Australian radio hosts Monday described themselves as heartbroken over the apparent suicide of the nurse in England who took their prank call seeking information about Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.

Mel Greig and Michael Christian said their impersonation of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles was a silly stunt that they never expected to succeed, let alone play a potential role in the death of Jacintha Saldhana, who worked at the hospital where Prince William's wife was being treated for acute morning sickness.

djs

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-w...

• Tylurr 2012/12/10 19:28:13
    Tylurr
    +20
    Good god, NO. NO NO NO.

NO the office gif

THEY didn't force her to kill herself. That was HER decision.

So you're telling me if someone I know kills themselves and had any sort of negative contact with anyone I don't like, I am hereby allowed to blame them to the point of criminal charges?

NO.

Oy...

• troy.mu... sophs 2012/12/12 06:30:51
    troy.murphy
    they only broke broadcasting laws ... these crimes are not punishable like normal crimes
  • cindy 2012/12/11 20:43:01
    cindy
    ..I'm thinking their jobs would be enough...That wasn't their intention for her to kill herself
  • tredzwater 2012/12/11 20:13:03
    tredzwater
    +2
    That would presuppose that they intended to cause harm to the nurse. All they intended was to see how far they could get on the phone system.

I'm not even comfortable with some charges of involuntary homicide. Unless the person being charged had reason to believe that his/her negligence could hurt someone, no one should be blamed, criminally, for a sheer accident.

When I was working as a social worker, a young woman got a year and a day in the state penitentiary for running over a 3-year old. She had done something I, and many people, have done. Her doctor called in a migraine prescription and she was in such pain that she took a pill before leaving the pharmacy. It never dawned on her that it would hit her before she drove home. She had no prior record, was a good woman and was devastated by the accident. Putting her in prison helped no one.

Now if, after knowing her story, I did the same thing, I would deserve a prison sentence. Luckily, I learned from her example.
  • merlinskiss 2012/12/11 19:35:58
    merlinskiss
    +1
    All they did was make a prank phone call. The fact that a mentally unstable nurse could not live with the realities of life and being suckered is irrelevant. I admire her for removing herself from the gene pool...
  • Alex DeLarge From Target 2012/12/11 19:33:04
    Alex DeLarge From Target
    thye never actually expected to be put through.. theyre innocent with no intention of malice.
  • beernbugs 2012/12/11 19:28:45
    beernbugs
    +1
    Involuntary manslaughter.
  • Navin J... beernbugs 2012/12/11 23:58:34
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +3
    Oh yeah right
  • codenamev beernbugs 2012/12/12 04:49:33
    codenamev
    Why? Is there proof this woman killed herself specifically due to the emotional trauma of being pranked? Should we hold all the internet and media outlets responsible who kept playing excerpts of the call for the whole world to hear?
  • Zee Black 2012/12/11 19:27:34
    Zee Black
    They did not have any malice, they did not kill this woman, this woman killed herself.
  • Professor Wizard 2012/12/11 19:27:07
    Professor Wizard
    DJ's are not responsible for the acts of their stupid listeners!
  • Jack 2012/12/11 19:18:34
    Jack
    +1
    At this point, there are no laws about what they did. Was it right? No. What it tasteful? No. Has it been done incessantly on every radio station around? Yes. It was only a matter of time that something this outrageous happened as a result.
  • Kathulhu 2012/12/11 18:40:40
  • Ben 2012/12/11 18:06:54
    Ben
    Although I don't think jail time is appropriate, their actions should have legal ramifications.
  • Jack Ben 2012/12/11 19:19:09
    Jack
    +2
    Please state exactly what laws they broke?
  • Ben Jack 2012/12/11 22:36:17
    Ben
    +2
    None. I just think that people are being too forgiving towards Mel Greig and Michael Christian. The general consensus is that Jacintha Saldanah was just mentally unstable and overreacted which seems like victim-blaming to me.
  • codenamev Ben 2012/12/12 04:55:16
    codenamev
    +1
    There's a part of that sentiment I agree with, and that's the victim-blaming. It is unfair to simply categorize her as a crazy person who could have been set off any number of ways.

However, to be honest and fair, there is no proof that she killed herself due to this incident and there never will be. All we know is that there's a tortured soul who's dead, and two radio hosts whose careers are over, for all intents and purposes, and they have to also live with the thought in their head that they killed this woman, even though that in all likelihood, they didn't. To be clear, I'm not attempting to martyr the radio hosts either, but this is just something that will never be discovered unless there is some evidence out there that has yet to be uncovered.
  • RogerCo... Jack 2012/12/12 01:19:40
    RogerCoppock
    +1
    They conspired to violate Kate Middleton's medical privacy. (In the US, that is a violation of the HIPPA law. I don't know what laws exist in England and Australia ) Privacy of one's medical records is a basic human right, something all people should expect, even the Duchess of Cambridge.
  • KoAm Jack 2012/12/12 05:41:29 (edited)
    KoAm
    "Impersonating a public official" might be one law they broke.

I don't know if such laws exist in Australia or the U.K. And if they do, I don't know if the Queen would qualify as a public official.

But in many countries, you can be charged with a crime for impersonating certain officials or public figures. Especially if it's done with the intent to dupe a person into behaving the way you want them to behave, as these two clowns on the radio clearly did.
  • **Bessie** 2012/12/11 17:36:46
    **Bessie**
    Absolutely not. Poor Jacintha...she had to have many other issues to commit suicide. Sad story all the way around.
  • 001 2012/12/11 16:04:18
    001
    "Police have made no explicit link between her death and the hoax call." No, that would be insane. It might have been a contributing factor, but I don't believe that she killed herself just because of the prank call. It's also pretty obvious that the DJs didn't mean any harm.
  • Erickzl 2012/12/11 16:03:05
    Erickzl
    It is a tragedy but I don't feel criminal charges need to be levied.
  • SW 2012/12/11 15:59:39
    SW
    What if she didn't kill herself and it's a big prank on THEM? Now that would be cool...
  • Smuwf, Twin 2012/12/11 15:54:47
    Smuwf, Twin
    It was not their fault,jacintha may have been depressed about issues in her own life
  • El Prez 2012/12/11 15:28:35
    El Prez
    It was not done with intent and there is no telling what was in this woman's mind before the call.
  • Tordgaard 2012/12/11 15:14:42
    Tordgaard
    They are NOT criminally responsible for the nurse's death but either they or the radio station would have committed a crime of invasion of privacy or, from what I can gather from a SH poster in Australia, failure to obtain permission to use the voices of the two hospital employees on the air. They should feel "morally" responsible for their action but it was certainly not a deliberate intent to cause any harm.
  • john Tordgaard 2012/12/11 21:09:16
    john
    Two hospital employes , it was the queen they took off....
  • Tordgaard john 2012/12/11 23:49:35
    Tordgaard
    Hi John - I'm not sure what you mean. I said there were two hospital employees and, as far as I understand the Australian law, the radio station would have needed their permission to have their voices broadcast on the air.
    I don't think it has anything to do with the female DJ pretending to be the Queen of England. I'm just guessing that "they took off" is how you say "pretended to be" in the UK - if I'm wrong, sorry.
  • john Tordgaard 2012/12/12 00:00:33
    john
    Sorry I thought you meant the two DJs took off the two employers
  • Tordgaard john 2012/12/12 00:06:51
    Tordgaard
    +1
    My English isn't always as clear as I think it is :)
  • john Tordgaard 2012/12/12 00:07:58
    john
    +1
    It's very good...no problem
  • Elizabeth Raggett 2012/12/11 14:55:13
    Elizabeth Raggett
    +3
    I think there was underlying issues with the nurse who killed herself. And I think the media just needs someone to blame. It was a prank and it is as simple as that. I am sorry for the lady who killed herself and her loved ones, but there was something else wrong, a phone call didn't just do it.
  • rhaver1 2012/12/11 14:29:05
    rhaver1
    +1
    Ridiculous to even consider it. I'm sorry the nurse couldn't hack it as a human being, who makes mistakes.... LIKE ALL OF US. I'd rather not elaborate, because I find it inconsiderate to speak ill of the dead.
  • bryceaston 2012/12/11 14:00:31
    bryceaston
    +1
    That nurse overreacted. Thats nothing to kill yourself over!
  • 001 bryceaston 2012/12/11 16:08:57
    001
    How do you know that the prank call wasn't the last straw that broke her back, why do you assume she overreacted?
  • Mr. Won... 001 2012/12/11 17:27:15
    Mr. Wonderful
    +2
    Sucide is ALWAYS an over reaction and a coward's way out and often an irrational act, really a cry for help that sometimes ends badly.

I had a cousin (in his 50's) some years back. He applied for disability under Social Security and was denied. He and his family were building an A-Frame cabin in Northern Wisconsin, were reasonablly well off didn't have finanical problems, yet my cousin home alone one day out of the blue, hung himself from a rafter in the home he was building... over being denied a little extra cash. Maybe there were other issues too, but how nuts can you get?

His immediate family hid the truth from the rest of the family and I didn't find out until many years later from a friend of my cousin's mother that knew the truth.
  • the spo... 001 2012/12/11 18:08:30
    the spoiler
    Are you assuming she didn't overreact ?
  • 001 the spo... 2012/12/11 20:23:10
    001
    +1
    No, I'm assuming there was more to it than just a prank call.
  • the spo... 001 2012/12/11 21:07:44
    the spoiler
    +1
    Oh I see. Now I'm assuming you're right
  • Mr. Won... bryceaston 2012/12/11 17:14:02
    Mr. Wonderful
    Stupidity isn't a crime. While the two disc jockeys down under pulled a sophomoric stunt, such things are part of radio and done all the time all over. This nurse seems like a wack job. Come on already. Ok, you received the call and redirected, so what?

If you feel like a fool fo being tricked, geeze get over it... in an hour tops and move on. Don't end your life, how stupid is that, especially when she was married and had a couple kids. Her (the nurse) taking her own life if true is far worse and a sin, and not something God will laugh at. In fact according to many beliefs sucide is the worse sin.
  • Rdtourist 2012/12/11 13:57:43
    Rdtourist
    +1
    One thing to consider; who on earth would have casually forwarded a phone call to a serious VIP in a sickbed situation? As a hospital nurse, no way in hell would I have forwarded such a call to the VIP suite without vetting it through a clearance person or an aide. We have taken in VIP guests (patients) before and used designated names in lieu pf public names and ALWAYS required a clearance before forwarding or ringing through.

Not removing any sympathy for the suicided nurse, but JEEZ, she sure showed a serious lack of common sense and died at her own hand to atone for it, sad.

2014/11/27 00:22:50