Should these disc jockeys face criminal charges?

L.A. Times 2012/12/10 16:02:51
Tearful and contrite, two Australian radio hosts Monday described themselves as heartbroken over the apparent suicide of the nurse in England who took their prank call seeking information about Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.

Mel Greig and Michael Christian said their impersonation of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles was a silly stunt that they never expected to succeed, let alone play a potential role in the death of Jacintha Saldhana, who worked at the hospital where Prince William's wife was being treated for acute morning sickness.

djs

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-w...

• Tylurr 2012/12/10 19:28:13
    Tylurr
    +20
    Good god, NO. NO NO NO.

NO the office gif

THEY didn't force her to kill herself. That was HER decision.

So you're telling me if someone I know kills themselves and had any sort of negative contact with anyone I don't like, I am hereby allowed to blame them to the point of criminal charges?

NO.

Oy...

• sneekyfoot 2012/12/12 04:24:22
    sneekyfoot
    public enimas
  • XZQZQ 2012/12/12 04:16:03
    XZQZQ
    NO
  • chrystal97 2012/12/12 03:22:39
    chrystal97
    +1
    They didn't make her kill herself. They also didn't spend every waking moment wanting to do her harm and harass her to death. They play one prank, then she killed herself. There wasn't anything illegal done by the radio hosts. The nurse did violate privacy for divulging the information about the duchess.
  • Emanon 2012/12/12 02:28:10
    Emanon
    No.
  • Wulfdane 2012/12/12 01:57:36
    Wulfdane
    Fired yes, criminal charges no.
  • james 2012/12/12 01:56:17
    james
    +1
    pranks are pranks. Bad things happen. its unfortunate but then again i didnt hear what they said to her
  • Laura V... james 2012/12/12 23:00:42 (edited)
    Laura Vanderbooben
    They said nothing to her, EDIT (Well very little) she wasn't even the one who talked on the phone call.
  • james Laura V... 2012/12/13 07:21:49
    james
    Hmm that's strange. I wonder what it was that riffed her so badly
  • Laura V... james 2012/12/13 23:45:07
    Laura Vanderbooben
    Idk either, i find it odd though that she would kill herself over that, i keep saying this but i do think the staff around her maybe gave her a hard time and blamed her for the call, and now she's dead they must find it easier to keep the blame on her that she felt bad for passing the call along. idk.
  • Matt P. 2012/12/12 01:17:09
    Matt P.
    What they did was legal. Cruel, but legal.
  • wamcalif 2012/12/12 01:11:19
    wamcalif
    They have to live with it...that will be difficult enough.
  • RogerCoppock 2012/12/12 01:10:05
    RogerCoppock
    +2
    They conspired to violate Kate Middleton's medical privacy. Privacy of one's medical records is a basic human right, something all people should expect, even the Duchess of Cambridge.
  • codenamev RogerCo... 2012/12/12 04:45:49
    codenamev
    +3
    That's really reaching, don't you think? I don't necessarily condone the prank, but I don't think that this was done with the express intent of getting specific medical information about Middleton.
  • RogerCo... codenamev 2012/12/12 06:48:56 (edited)
    RogerCoppock
    I can't find it now. However, a video of the call to the hospital was on the net. When I listened to it, I definitely got the impression the callers were trying to pry specific medical information about Middleton.
  • Laura V... RogerCo... 2012/12/12 23:05:02 (edited)
    Laura Vanderbooben
    No they didn't, they asked how she was doing, what time visiting hours were and if wills was still there. That is all, no prying of any medical records and if attempting to get medical records is illegal then kates private nurse should have known not to say anything over the phone without her consent. To which she didn't say anything of a sensitive nature anyway, all she said was she is resting shes had fluids and she can't sleep very well because its a stange bed, oh and wills has gone home and visiting hours are at 9 in the morning, that is all, nothing else. All this came from a different nurse also, not the one who died. EDIT added the link to the call.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?...
  • kevin.m... RogerCo... 2012/12/12 14:08:55
    kevin.m.koop
    +1
    Where was the security for Kate or did she have any? If she didn't then the royal family is responsible for this!
  • RogerCo... kevin.m... 2012/12/12 17:33:05
    RogerCoppock
    I don't think the Royal security team could tap telephone conversations.
  • Hermes RogerCo... 2012/12/12 19:20:34
    Hermes
    You are correct.
  • Srztanjur 2012/12/12 00:50:20 (edited)
    Srztanjur
    But not for the death of the suicide victim.

[edit] I'm torn on this issue, actually. I'm not sure if I believe they should face any criminal charges.

Because of the way the legal system works, I'm inclined to say yes. But because of the way I view morality, I want very much to say no.
  • Sinister Ken Doll™ 2012/12/12 00:45:54
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    +2
    i'm pretty sure they acted outside of the law when they impersonated the king and queen anyway
  • Michael Siniste... 2012/12/12 13:11:18
    Michael
    +1
    There is no king in the UK !! and if you think that they should be punished in some way by the law then you have as much going on upstairs as the dolly you impersonate.
  • Siniste... Michael 2012/12/12 13:59:14
    Sinister Ken Doll™
    ok, the duke and queen, sorry for my mistake.

and i was just thinking that if you can get in trouble with the law for impersonating a police officer or even for impersonating someone else on the internet, that this would fall along those lines.

however, i don't think they should be charged for the suicide
  • Hermes Michael 2012/12/12 19:22:39 (edited)
    Hermes
    +1
    There is however a prince. The attempt to impinge the idea presented because of a mistake by the person presenting it that does not itself invalidate the idea is bogus in the extreme. Your attempt to belittle the same person because you don't agree with them, by trying to assert that they are stupid is equally so.

Try impersonating the President, or Senator McConnell, or even Congressman Boehner. H*ll even try impersonating a police officer or a college professor and see what happens to you bud. Your position is not in keeping with the law in any civilized country and not terribly germane to the discussion.
  • Michael Hermes 2012/12/12 22:43:48
    Michael
    I'm not the one trying to impersonate anybody and there was no crime committed , it's perfectly lawful to make a prank call as long as there is no intimidation or threat of any harm intended in the UK and Australia because guess what ?? we have a sense of humour!!
    If i feel like pointing out that somebody is stupid because they think that the two dj's should be punished for a prank call then i will ,
    We don't all have to live by America's standards , where it seems to be practically illegal to laugh and have a sense of humour according to your answer, here in the UK and Australia we don't take ourselves so seriously and poking fun at people in the public eye is quite the norm!!
  • Hermes Michael 2012/12/13 21:33:25
    Hermes
    You aren't, but the disk jockeys were, weren't they? Why yes, they were. That seems to be the thrust, as it were, of the discussion, doesn't it? Why yes it does. Further, the equivalent of calling oh, let's see, Sasha's hospital room and claiming that one was President Obama checking up on her would be the not rough, but rather exact equivalent of what those DJs did. Given that this is America, the nurse almost certainly would not have killed herself, on the other hand, the DJ would have found that the questioning session with the Secret Service got to be VERY boring and probably rather alarming.

If when I was in the hospital several years ago someone had called and impersonated, oh, I don't know, a family member of mine in order to reach me, I would have been very, very upset, and probably, after I got out of the hospital I would have sued, if they had tried even casually to get medical information about me, I would have filed charges against them, and they would have been arrested, and I'm just a citizen.

What the DJs did was wrong, it was also illegal, particularly as they were impersonating the (tacit) rulers of the entire country.

There really isn't any way other than that to slice it. Everything else is just semantics.

Regards.
  • DeathBolt 2012/12/12 00:36:16
    DeathBolt
    Nope.
  • Fashionable60s 2012/12/11 23:43:05
    Fashionable60s
    While it was tragic however, there were some other mental issues with the dead nurse that were in her psychological profile. While this prank was just naughty, it may have the straw that broke the camel's back. However, the two radio hosts should not have been fired over the prank. Why didn't anybody mention the hospital's management who supervised her who may have punished her so harshly that she committed suicide?
  • Max7 2012/12/11 22:39:46
    Max7
    Actually another option would have been good, because I'm not sure that criminal charges should be brought against them, since I am sure that their intent was not criminal. However, their actions was cruel and the results devastating. I think that they should be reprimanded by their employer, especially if they didn't have permission to do what they did.
  • Hermes Max7 2012/12/12 19:25:06
    Hermes
    Criminal charges would be brought here if someone impersonated President Obama, or if they impersonated Queen Elizabeth, why not elsewhere?
  • Max7 Hermes 2012/12/12 22:21:05
    Max7
    I guess it's a matter of how the law will be interpretated.
  • Nickolie 2012/12/11 22:03:23
    Nickolie
    She killed herself over that, really?
  • Jan 2012/12/11 21:09:50 (edited)
    Jan
    +2
    Of course they should. It is a crime to impersonate a police officer so why should impersonating the Royal family not be a crme too?
    edit due to some text missing.
  • Nickolie Jan 2012/12/11 22:02:39
    Nickolie
    +4
    That is a horrible comparison.
  • Jan Nickolie 2012/12/11 22:14:12
    Jan
    Why? I used it because I know for certain that it is a crime to impersonate a police officer. I can't say for certain about impersonating anybody else. I see impersonating any of them as equally dispicable.
  • Nickolie Jan 2012/12/12 01:48:20 (edited)
    Nickolie
    Your comparing someone who has the power to handcuff you and put you in the back of a strange vehicle, to a figurehead.
  • Jan Nickolie 2012/12/12 11:58:24
    Jan
    They are both groups of people I respect and based my opinion on that basis alone. I don't ever anticipate being arrested but have had police officers help me in the past. They choose to do the job because they are basically good people who want to help society. The Royal family are good for this country and its tourist industry but they are only Royal by an accident of birth. Our police force also protect them wherever they go. Therefore I can't see why a person should be allowed to get away with impersonating any of them.
  • Nickolie Jan 2012/12/13 07:11:24
    Nickolie
    I have nothing against the queen, but what I'm saying is I'm not in any danger from someone impersonating her, because by law she has no power over me, it's not a matter of respect.
  • kevin.m... Jan 2012/12/12 14:12:56
    kevin.m.koop
    While I don't know about UK. laws here in the U.S. Public citizens can be impersonated or made fun of. Private citizens the "average Joe" can not and have the ability to sue for damages.
  • john 2012/12/11 21:04:24
    john
    +1
    Completely no...they were not responsible, they done something a little foolish, but that's all and I still believe she was reprimanded by the hospital and that was the reason for her suicide ans a weakness in her character
  • sophs 2012/12/11 20:54:02
    sophs
    +2
    But only for the laws that they broke

2014/10/25 03:49:40