Should these disc jockeys face criminal charges?

L.A. Times 2012/12/10 16:02:51
Tearful and contrite, two Australian radio hosts Monday described themselves as heartbroken over the apparent suicide of the nurse in England who took their prank call seeking information about Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.

Mel Greig and Michael Christian said their impersonation of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles was a silly stunt that they never expected to succeed, let alone play a potential role in the death of Jacintha Saldhana, who worked at the hospital where Prince William's wife was being treated for acute morning sickness.

djs

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-w...

• Tylurr 2012/12/10 19:28:13
    Tylurr
    +20
    Good god, NO. NO NO NO.

NO the office gif

THEY didn't force her to kill herself. That was HER decision.

So you're telling me if someone I know kills themselves and had any sort of negative contact with anyone I don't like, I am hereby allowed to blame them to the point of criminal charges?

NO.

Oy...

• Laura V... meshell 2012/12/17 11:56:45
    Laura Vanderbooben
    +1
    Ginger genes, hmmm we'll wait and see if the twins kate has have ginger hair too...
  • ab Laura V... 2012/12/15 13:05:05
    ab
    Prank calling. It's illegal in Australia.
  • Laura V... ab 2012/12/15 15:00:48 (edited)
    Laura Vanderbooben
    +1
    Not really, otherwise why do they allow them to do it without charges brought against them each time? I think we already established anyway that the legal side of it was that it is only illegal if there was intent to cause harm or malicious intent to cause intimidation, Which they didn't do.
  • S123 ab 2012/12/10 21:16:58
    S123
    She may not have killed herself.
  • ready46xwu 2012/12/10 19:29:44
    ready46xwu
    +1
    that's just silly!
  • Tylurr 2012/12/10 19:28:13
    Tylurr
    +20
    Good god, NO. NO NO NO.

NO the office gif

NO.

Oy...
  • S123 Tylurr 2012/12/10 21:10:41
    S123
    +3
    And they don't even know the cause of her death, anyway!
  • Tylurr S123 2012/12/10 21:11:35
    Tylurr
    +3
    EXACTLY!

People are jumping to conclusions, just like EVERY time legalities are involved. Oy...
  • meshell S123 2012/12/10 22:15:16
    meshell
    they have to also look at the reprimand she would have gotten from the hospital board. Every possibility that could have been the reason this selfish woman took her life. They probably ripped the fark out of her and gave her the arse. The weak will seek an easy way out.
  • S123 meshell 2012/12/10 22:29:22
    S123
    +1
    I don't think she was weak and selfish, if she did kill herself. I think she must have been depressed.
  • meshell S123 2012/12/10 23:45:27 (edited)
  • S123 meshell 2012/12/11 23:37:21
    S123
    I'm sorry you had to see that.
  • meshell S123 2012/12/12 00:07:14 (edited)
    meshell
    Thank you, so am I. It certainly changes your views on some issues. I felt sorry for those that take their own lives, that was until i was subjected to it. The anger the hate for him, the discust that he could do something like that not 500metres from a school that had just gotten out.. Few saw it, no children thank god.. But what he did changed my whole outlook on suicides. I detest what their selfishness does to those close to them or the poor buggers that find him/her..
  • JCLadybug Tylurr 2012/12/10 21:28:32
    JCLadybug
    +2
    A lot of anti-bullying laws hold the bullies responsible for suicides. So...I guess it depends on the case.
  • Tylurr JCLadybug 2012/12/10 21:35:09 (edited)
    Tylurr
    You could say that. But consider the fact that an underaged mind is still developing, which means that anything that it experiences has a much larger impact on the child.

Fully grown adult? Not so much. (Mental issues notwithstanding)
  • JCLadybug Tylurr 2012/12/10 21:40:03
    JCLadybug
    +2
    There are a number of adults without mental issues that are easily effected/molded...so that isn't a strong enough distinguishing point. Either it is okay or it isn't. I think if any charges are brought up it should be misdemeanor charges for what they actually did....not what they may or may not have lead someone to do (same goes with bullies...charge them for what they did, not the death, wishing/threatening death falls under a pretty severe category for a teenager...so they wouldn't be getting off scott free).
  • meshell JCLadybug 2012/12/10 22:21:34
    meshell
    I fully agree with you, if bullying was an aspect, but it wasn't. so really there is nothing to charge them with.
  • JCLadybug meshell 2012/12/10 22:52:00
    JCLadybug
    There are sometimes misdemeanor charges for pranks like this. It depends on the laws are. For example broadcasting a call from a hospital could have certain privacy issues, etc. I have no idea if they broke any law, but I wouldn't doubt that they did.
  • meshell JCLadybug 2012/12/10 23:55:24
    meshell
    it also depends on where you are too. How can they say with a straight face that someone cause the death of another thousands of miles away. Its bullcrap. Going by Oz laws they did not cause fear or intimidation so there really isn't a case.
  • JCLadybug meshell 2012/12/11 18:03:48
    JCLadybug
    +1
    But that isn't what I am claiming. I think they broke a privacy law. I've heard DJ do prank calls all the time, but most do not make them to hospitals, that seems like it crosses a line, especially if they obtained any private information (yes the people who gave it out are also responsible) and broadcast it.
  • meshell JCLadybug 2012/12/12 00:14:10
    meshell
    there has always been contraversy with the radio station, this one was minor compared to some pranks they have pulled. Yet no one has ever taken their life over them. And some of them have been WAY WAY overboard. Her death may be linked to the call, but the call was not the reason she topped herself. I'd be looking at the hospital board if you want someone to blame other than her, herself. But as one said, they will cover their arses and pawn the blame off on the most convenient scapegoat.. The DJ's
  • JCLadybug meshell 2012/12/12 02:41:13 (edited)
    JCLadybug
    Wow. That is very sad to me. I honestly believe this shouldn't be permitted to continue. As I said before, I don't know if they did break a law, but I can easily see that as a possibility. However, if this is a common occurrence then no one cares enough or lets them get away with it. Disgusting...but honestly some show hosts go pretty low (especially morning shows)....and I get very turned off by most radio shows.

Edit: I'm also not looking for a scapegoat. I just think that this crosses a line and they need to have any potential charges (i.e. misdemeanor privacy charges) brought against them.
  • meshell JCLadybug 2012/12/12 02:55:48
  • JCLadybug meshell 2012/12/12 03:02:02
    JCLadybug
    I'm not a fan of that type of humor. But I also get really annoyed at our morning shows here. I don't think they have blame for her suicide (assuming that is what it is). I just (sound like a broken record here) don't like breaching someone's privacy. Now, calling in to a turkey help hotline (for Thanksgiving here) is just funny. But people who purposely breech people's privacy are just like paparazzi and I think they are scum. Eh. Just my thoughts there.
  • meshell JCLadybug 2012/12/12 03:43:55
    meshell
    Each to their own, I see your side of it too, Prank related deaths happen, i won't say they don't. but usually the people involved in the prank are together in the same area and doing really stupid stuff, but this is a long distance prank call. It should not have had the outcome it did. Any other nurse put in this position would have probably 1 done the check, as she should have and 2 dealt with the repocussions. Jacinta was weak. her death is hers to bare, no-one elses.
  • Tylurr JCLadybug 2012/12/10 22:21:55
    Tylurr
    In that case, there are no charges to be pressed. At the VERY most, maybe a fine for the time spent on the call.

And yes, some adults are easily effected, but not to the point of suicide. That's an entirely different issue.
  • JCLadybug Tylurr 2012/12/10 22:52:52
    JCLadybug
    A fine possibly, or if there are any privacy laws they broke by broadcasting the call to a hospital. I don't know, but it is a possibility.
  • meshell Tylurr 2012/12/10 22:18:35
    meshell
    This woman was a mother, an adult. She obviously wasn't very stable.
  • Tylurr meshell 2012/12/10 22:20:19
    Tylurr
    +1
    Stressed, yes, but I think that would provide some sort of blockade to committing suicide. Somewhere in her mind, it should have come up that she'd be leaving behind her kids.

Something else was clearly wrong.
  • meshell Tylurr 2012/12/10 23:59:33
    meshell
    +1
    too many can not see a way out, or are to stupid to look for one that doesnt include killing yourself. People have told me they can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I tell them its because there is a bend in the tunnel. Get your way around the bend and the light you will see.
  • Twinky Tylurr 2012/12/10 22:45:18
    Twinky
    bullying isn't just an adolescent issue
  • Tylurr Twinky 2012/12/10 22:46:06
    Tylurr
    No, it's not. But most adults have the ability to handle it much better than someone with unstable hormones and a developing sense of the world around them.

MOST.
  • meshell JCLadybug 2012/12/10 22:17:06
    meshell
    +1
    They the DJ's, didn't bully her. She took the call and put them through, that was her part in it. There was no bullying of her or any other at all.
  • meshell Tylurr 2012/12/10 22:12:44
    meshell
    +1
    An awesome response. I would rave you 10 times if i could.
  • Chibi G... Tylurr 2012/12/10 22:17:50
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    Excellent point.
  • NikkiNa... Tylurr 2012/12/10 22:39:20
    NikkiNak111
    +1
    And how do we even know it had anything to do with them!? She must have had something else going on with her life if she was willing to kill herself!
  • terrance Tylurr 2012/12/11 02:19:21
    terrance
    I'm with on this tho myself would feel terrible that I maybe responceable in someones death.
  • Luxxie 2012/12/10 19:27:00
    Luxxie
    +3
    They only did a PRANK. That's what disc jockeys do ! And I'm pretty sure her death has nothing to do with them.
  • LaurenGirl594 2012/12/10 19:11:40
    LaurenGirl594
    +4
    It was not even the Nurse whom gave out any information. It was the person who transferred the call to the nurse station.

2014/11/23 06:04:29