Should these disc jockeys face criminal charges?

L.A. Times 2012/12/10 16:02:51
Tearful and contrite, two Australian radio hosts Monday described themselves as heartbroken over the apparent suicide of the nurse in England who took their prank call seeking information about Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.

Mel Greig and Michael Christian said their impersonation of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles was a silly stunt that they never expected to succeed, let alone play a potential role in the death of Jacintha Saldhana, who worked at the hospital where Prince William's wife was being treated for acute morning sickness.

djs

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-w...

• Tylurr 2012/12/10 19:28:13
    Tylurr
    +20
    Good god, NO. NO NO NO.

NO the office gif

THEY didn't force her to kill herself. That was HER decision.

So you're telling me if someone I know kills themselves and had any sort of negative contact with anyone I don't like, I am hereby allowed to blame them to the point of criminal charges?

NO.

Oy...

• whateverbabynevermind 2012/12/12 23:14:15
    whateverbabynevermind
    What they did was mean, but you can hardly arrest some one for being mean. She killed HERSELF.
  • Hermes 2012/12/12 19:17:22
    Hermes
    I don't think I've ever seen clearer evidence of the disconnect of America from most cultures. Phone taps are nasty to start with - even here. In England? A woman who trusted the honesty of others and acted according to ingrained tradition only to find out they were disk jockeys from another country MUCH later after dishonoring herself? Really, you all cannot imagine it huh? I surely can.
  • Laura V... Hermes 2012/12/12 22:48:48
    Laura Vanderbooben
    Your assumption that she dishonoured herself because of the call does no favours to the conversation.
  • Hermes Laura V... 2012/12/13 21:18:31
    Hermes
    It doesn't matter what you or I think, she pretty clearly did think that she had -- that is her right. Not being able to "imagine" it is an American conceit. Being an American I can assure you, that type of conceit is quite widespread.

Kind thoughts.
  • Laura V... Hermes 2012/12/13 23:38:11
    Laura Vanderbooben
    Blah....
  • LMA 2012/12/12 19:05:37
    LMA
    What kind of Idiot commits suicide over a prank call. They had no way of knowing that would happen. All Radio programs run Prank calls.
  • GDG*SEX CAKE* 2012/12/12 18:30:45
    GDG*SEX CAKE*
    No she was obviously unstable to begin with if she killed herself. Why should they be responsible for her level of crazy?. I don't think that they should have lost their jobs over it either.
  • ms jones 2012/12/12 18:11:07
    ms jones
    I meant hell no! What they did is no different then the things radio host do here in the US. She probably had a lot of other issues that she was dealing with also.
  • Opal Marie 2012/12/12 17:35:55
    Opal Marie
    +1
    They should NOT face criminal charges. I herd the tape, and all they asked was how she was doing and if the prince was there or not. And she was very vague about her response; its not like she leaked her entire medical record and they were not trying to get her medical record either.

The nurses death is very tragic and i pray that her family gets through this together. But on the supposed suicide, i dont think that it was. I think she was killed because the royal family felt she violated their privacy, which in reality never happened.
  • Hermes Opal Marie 2012/12/12 19:19:09
    Hermes
    +1
    You are a disgusting git, frankly. You think the royal family killed her? Really? You have to be out of your mind. The royal family doesn't have people killed -- if it did there were a number of people involved in Princess Diana's death that would have gotten the ax.
  • Opal Marie Hermes 2012/12/12 19:20:54
    Opal Marie
    +1
    uh...they killed princess Diana as well...
  • Hermes Opal Marie 2012/12/13 21:23:00
    Hermes
    Oh great goddess. OK then -- I'll wish you well with that -- I very much doubt that you either have or need any evidence for the "conspiracy" that "surely" must be occurring.

Have a good day.
  • Orsino Opal Marie 2012/12/13 22:40:35
    Orsino
    The press killed princess Diana - how on earth could the royal family have carried it out
  • Laura V... Hermes 2012/12/12 22:57:26
    Laura Vanderbooben
    +1
    Don't have people killed? You really don't know anything about them at all then lol. And just because you don't agree with what they said doesn't give you the right to turn from posh, condescending twat into an insulting idiot just because you were offended by the opinion of another. It wasn't towards you, or about you, so why take offense? it was one persons opinion about what they think on the royal family and you called them a disgusting git?? You are the one who is out of your mind.
  • Hermes Laura V... 2012/12/13 21:26:15
    Hermes
    Who are you people? The monarchy in England does not run around having people killed. The next thing you will be telling me is that they are really 9.5 foot tall lizards masquerading as humans. Oh, they are, aren't they (*big eyes*) 9.5 foot tall lizards, you can see it sometimes in the pictures and all, right?

Conspiracies, conspiracies. Yes yes.

Have a nice day.
  • Orsino Hermes 2012/12/13 22:41:31
    Orsino
    Here, here
  • Laura V... Hermes 2012/12/13 23:40:48
    Laura Vanderbooben
    So because you don't think they have people killed you assume the most popular conspiracy theory to back up your conclusion lol must be lizards right....ok i see how you roll..... dummy.
  • Hermes Laura V... 2012/12/29 22:53:47
    Hermes
    I very much doubt you see how I roll - at all in fact. I've read David Ickes, have you? That doesn't mean that I believe he is accurate, but I've read him, and I even believe him (for real) when he says that he means what he says about 9.5 foot tall lizards and isn't using that as code for something else (like a racial or ethnic group). I also know how many followers he has. Not as many as the "world will end on Dec. 21, 2012" crowd, but more than enough. And that's fine -- but let's not treat it seriously without REAL proof, shall we? Accusing the royals of killing Princess Diana is like those here who spent YEARS and millions (literally) of dollars attempting to find some way, any way - that Hillary Clinton could have killed Vince Foster and covered it up. One true believing Republican member of the House ALONE spent over 2 million having actors reenact the death scene (in various configurations) over and over and over in the backyard of his DC townhouse. It was sad. So is thinking that the royal family had Diana killed.

Happy New Year.
  • Laura V... Hermes 2012/12/29 23:02:01
    Laura Vanderbooben
    And that is your opinion, but this is so old now. I have so moved on lol.
  • Hermes Laura V... 2012/12/29 23:07:11
    Hermes
    That's absolutely fine, I post here only sporadically when I happen to have time to come on. We were very involved politically prior to the election (raised funds for some that won (President Obama) and some that didn't (held a funder for Rob Zerban for one, who might have won if Ryan hadn't also been the GOP VP nominee) ) -- but overall have been very pleased with the results and the holidays took up our time, along with work - until now. Now I'm off until after New Years, the projects are done for the nonce, and I commented some more.

Happy New Year.
  • Laura V... Hermes 2012/12/29 23:12:48
    Laura Vanderbooben
    You lost me after the projects for nonce....i wouldn't like to know what a nonce project is.
  • Laura V... Opal Marie 2012/12/12 22:51:32
    Laura Vanderbooben
    I agree, but remember it wasn't the nurse who died who actually said anything at all. It was another nurse, who as yet we don't know of.
  • Opal Marie Laura V... 2012/12/13 16:22:38
    Opal Marie
    See i had no idea. I mean the story about this is different everywhere. Now im hearing that she or who ever hanged herself because of it
  • Laura V... Opal Marie 2012/12/13 23:43:13
    Laura Vanderbooben
    Yes Opal, the nurse who died is the one who answered the call, she was only on the phone a matter of seconds, it was another nurse, kates private nurse who spoke to the dj's so i don't get why jacintha would feel bad over something she played a very small part in, my guess is that it has been the hospital staff that have gave her a hard time more than anything.
  • American Nate 2012/12/12 15:43:06 (edited)
    American Nate
    Should never do prank calls to a Hospital, Fire Station, or Police Station.
  • Laura V... America... 2012/12/12 22:58:56
    Laura Vanderbooben
    don't you mean ambulance service, fire station, and police station? The emergency services shouldn't be pranked because there are laws on that, but a hospital reception desk or ward is not quite the same thing. imo.
  • America... Laura V... 2012/12/12 23:02:43
    American Nate
    your wasting their time when they can be talking to people that need halp
  • Laura V... America... 2012/12/12 23:12:13
    Laura Vanderbooben
    People don't call hospital reception desks needing help, they call for enquiries about patients, that is why it is not illegal to call them only the emergency services. At least the law has it right on whats actually a potential dangerous waste of time.
  • kevin.m.koop 2012/12/12 14:06:39
    kevin.m.koop
    +1
    Why was their no security in the hospital? If something like this happened in the US for example if one of Obama's daughters (God forbid, although I'm not an Obama supporter) was hospitalized I can almost guarantee there would have been a large amount of security. Where was the security? They could not have foreseen this prank going this bad. They are not to blame!
  • SABLE 2012/12/12 12:36:16
    SABLE
    But they should be sued
  • Kitty 2012/12/12 11:59:20
    Kitty
    She was already on a runaway train on a collision course. All the DJ's did was throw a banana peel on the tracks.
  • mrdog 2012/12/12 11:44:06
    mrdog
    But reasonable charges....their actions ....inexcusable...bark
  • Robbb 2012/12/12 10:31:08
    Robbb
    No. what they did was cheeky and not exactly 100% ethical. However lets get real here the woman that killed herself must have been walking a tightrope anyway. Perhaps she should have sought counselling before deserting her family. The whole thing is a terrible shame. However if that is all it takes to get a person to neck them selves no one can say any thing to any one any more. By the way did she leave a note explaining why she killed herself or is that just being taken for granted?
  • the fuze 2012/12/12 10:27:43
    the fuze
    This has been blown way out of proportion. While it is sad that someone has lost their life, it is ridiculous that these two be held responsible. So what now? Are we going to ban the use of phones, because clearly a phone in the wrong hands can kill...
  • Racquelle 2012/12/12 09:00:16
    Racquelle
    Oh good lord, criminal charges for what? Playing a poorly executed prank that was so obviously a joke, with such terrible accents that it's amazing they found staff members who were that gullible? I mean really the Queen and Prince Charles phoning directly to the hospital themselves? It's truly sad that anyone would take their own life but one can hardly hold the DJ's responsible
  • cc 2012/12/12 08:36:58
    cc
    +1
    As tacky as thier prank was....it was a harmless one...THOUGHTLESS...but overall harmless. The staff at the hospital obviously broke protocol somehow and mistakes happen. That nurse shouldn't have killed herself.
    I wonder if she did herself or if it was a hit. I can't imagine why someone would want to stage a suicide over someone like her...but stranger things have happened!
  • Beagle Mom 2012/12/12 07:56:16
    Beagle Mom
    +1
    In listening to the tape, all you hear is the woman transferring the call. There were far bigger issues going on in her life that would cause her to commit suicide.
  • lol fakename 2012/12/12 04:48:28
    lol fakename
    Not for manslaughter or anything like that, but they did make an attempt to publicize private information they had no right to. The nurse's family should get an all-expense-paid trip to Australia to slug them both in the stomach.

I think it'd be emotionally beneficial for both parties.
  • LdyLeo 2012/12/12 04:45:50
    LdyLeo
    +1
    They apologized for the hoax that they pulled and they were remorseful of what they did. They did not know that the outcome of their prank would result in that woman's suicide. Their punishment is that they got suspension and are off the air.

Maybe the nurse committed suicide because she believed that the caller was indeed the Prince and his wife, she gave them said information, which was broadcasted live on air. Feeling guilty that she had betrayed the trust of the Royal Family, along with breaking protocol, she took her own life out of guilt.
  • codenamev 2012/12/12 04:42:54

2014/12/20 23:04:22