Should the Food Network Have Fired Paula Deen?

AdriHead 2013/06/21 21:00:00
Paula Deen is officially off the Food Network. According to The New York Times, a network spokeswoman announced that Paula Deen's contract would not be renewed after it expires at the end of June.

The move is likely due to the fact that the celebrity chef has been under severe public scrutiny for a video tape of a court deposition that was released in which Deen admits to using racial slurs like the N-word.

Since the controversial admission went public, Deen has been a no-show on the "Today" show scheduled for Friday morning and has posted a video online apologizing to everyone while near tears. Do you think the Food Network should have fired Paula Deen?

NYTIMES.COM reports:
The network announced Friday that it would not renew Ms. Deen’s contract at the end of June, after she apologized for using racist language.
announced friday renew ms deens contract june apologized racist language

Read More: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/22/dining/paula-dee...

• Daryl 2013/06/21 21:56:05
    No, that was a harsh move
    Daryl
    +21
    Absurd.

The racism of only applying 'hate speech' rules to white folks is uglier than the racism of using derogatory racist terms.

• courtne... Latti I... 2013/06/22 15:54:42
    courtney.mccleary.9
    No I saw that, what you should have said was just that sentence, the rest of it was just fluff that wasn't related to my posting. Talking about some other guy and his overcoming of being a racist over the years and talking about paula dean 20 years ago and not knowing the person she is now, has absolutely NOTHING to do with 2012.
  • Latti I... courtne... 2013/06/22 15:57:46
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    What I 'SHOULD' have said, is exactly what I stated. My comment was indeed related to your comment, which referred to her usage of the N word 20 years ago. Face Palm; not knowing the person she is now, would mean.......wait for it. Not knowing the person she is in 2013, which I am waiting to find out.
  • courtne... Latti I... 2013/06/22 16:02:32
    courtney.mccleary.9
    She didn't just use the n word 20 years ago... why is this rhetoric sticking with you?

It wasn't related.
  • Latti I... courtne... 2013/06/22 16:09:44
    Latti Ice Ganga Gangsta of PHAET
    +2
    From other sources, it stated 20 years ago; I don't want someone's life ruined, unless I know for sure. I'm not engaged in Paula's personal life; I want to see for myself if she really is a racial bigot.

Lastly; it was related.
  • Jackie ... Latti I... 2013/06/22 16:31:44
    +1
    she is being bludgeoned for telling the truth in a deposition - she was asked if "she ever used the N word" and she said she did. She related how she had been robbed, gone home and told her husband using the word -- 20 - 30+ YEARS AGO.

Seems late to be insulted by her
  • mikeyavelli 2013/06/22 15:11:40
    No, that was a harsh move
    mikeyavelli
    +3
    but the reverend s sharpton and wright are given a pass on whitey, hoogie, ofay and klansman. it is a mortal social sin to use the n word, but a laugh line to see a black use it.
  • courtne... mikeyav... 2013/06/22 15:16:28
    courtney.mccleary.9
    +1
    I guess you don't watch many comedy shows.... Lisa Lamponelli comes to mind.
  • mikeyav... courtne... 2013/06/22 15:20:35
    mikeyavelli
    she has a license by black injection.
  • courtne... mikeyav... 2013/06/22 15:22:27 (edited)
    courtney.mccleary.9
    +1
    So basically what I am getting is:

"I'm going to say random baseless things, and then back out of it when it's refuted."

I see your game.
  • Miss. Tee courtne... 2013/06/22 15:35:03
    Miss. Tee
    +3
    Right!!! this dude is a waste of typing skills!
  • melly~t... Miss. Tee 2013/06/22 16:41:06
    melly~thwarting Satan since 1971
    +1
    I didn't understand a bit of it, lolz.
  • mikeyav... courtne... 2013/06/22 23:54:02
    mikeyavelli
    And I raise you.
  • Miss. Tee mikeyav... 2013/06/22 15:34:19
    Miss. Tee
    +2
    Dude! This is about what Paula Deen did! Not some freaking Rev. Wright. And why must you lie to make your point?!
  • tdterry... Miss. Tee 2013/06/22 16:21:58 (edited)
    tdterry1999
    +1
    So if you are black you get a pass for saying stupid things?
  • mikeyav... tdterry... 2013/06/22 23:50:46
    mikeyavelli
    +1
    A kenyan got elected doing it.
  • mikeyav... Miss. Tee 2013/06/22 23:53:24
    mikeyavelli
    No lies, honest appraisal of the sad state of reverse racism. You can do it if you be black, but a white person will be prosecuted for uttering anything deemed racist by the obamabunch.
  • melly~t... mikeyav... 2013/06/22 16:40:43
  • Latti I... melly~t... 2013/06/22 21:50:00
  • PoliticallyIncorrect 2013/06/22 15:04:29
    No, that was a harsh move
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +2
    Welcome to Martha Stewart second verse. Deen will return and the Food Network stands to lose on this one. She'll surface somewhere else, but when you consider the dynamics of what's happening, we are all losers. When the word police demand retribution for the "current" politically charged word or phrase, we will wind up not even speaking to one another. It's gone beyond common sense when one group can't use a word and another group makes big money using the word in song lyrics and daily speech. THAT is discrimination, but no one seems to see it that way. That proves to me that it's all bogus. Being PC is BS.
  • courtne... Politic... 2013/06/22 15:08:58 (edited)
  • Politic... courtne... 2013/06/22 15:27:46 (edited)
  • courtne... Politic... 2013/06/22 15:36:34
  • tdterry... courtne... 2013/06/22 15:43:50
    tdterry1999
    +2
    Oh I'm sure she hasn't ruined her career with the masses of racist idiots, who probably are located in the south.

That statement makes you as racist as anyone I have seen.
  • courtne... tdterry... 2013/06/22 16:00:00 (edited)
    courtney.mccleary.9
    +1
    Right so If I also said, "I'm sure this Christian will do great in the south." would that now be anti-Christian?

Also honestly how does this make me racist? There is more racism in the south than here so... she probably would do well with the masses of racist idiots, and the south probably has more of them.

Numbers game.
  • tdterry... courtne... 2013/06/22 20:11:03
    tdterry1999
    If you don't live in the south ,how would you know that.So more than likley you are just spewing talking points.
  • Sheery tdterry... 2013/06/22 20:03:34 (edited)
    Sheery
    +1
    More racist in the cities New York.Chicago.
    I don't think she's racist.
    But. Al Sharpton is..
    In Georgia she has been around blacks all her life.
    And the person suing her has money problems and in debt.
    That could be the real reason.
  • tdterry... Sheery 2013/06/22 20:12:01
    tdterry1999
    It is funny how we become offened so quick against one but not another.
  • Politic... courtne... 2013/06/22 16:08:55 (edited)
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    +3
    WOW, what an intolerant and judgmental, not to leave out bitter, person you are. You have swallowed the racist concepts that you are spouting with as much nastiness and misguided enthusiasm as seemingly possible. I haven't seen that kind of stupidity in a very long time.

It's pure BS and you can sit on your "I know everything" warped views as much as you'd like. I'd say that their racist origins do not do you "proud" at all.

Idiotic applies to you. It's a shame that you pass up an opportunity to know how others think and feel, but racists do act that way. Heavens, you must be a racist.
    You're also juvenile and selfish. You don't know it all. Actually, from what you say, I'd say you don't know much of anything useful. You are rather conceited, for no apparent good reason, but you're just a brat. Feel like a big man, do you? Tell your mother that it's time to change your diaper. That crap you're full of is running over.

BTW, genius, go back and correct your rant, if you know how.

I've wasted quite enough of ignorant beings for one day.
  • Joey Politic... 2013/06/23 13:55:26
    Joey
    Once more you are defending racism . This is a pattern for you isn't it .
  • Politic... Joey 2013/06/23 14:03:33 (edited)
  • Joey Politic... 2013/06/23 14:09:57
    Joey
    Yeah they said that about MLK and the freedom riders as well .

You say the FOOD NETWORK is wrong for firing some old racist , Yet at the same time supporting a school ban on African-American girls wearing natural hair . How in your mind do you sq those to things up.
  • Politic... Joey 2013/06/23 14:21:01
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    My mind says that racists don't forgive because they enjoy race-baiting too much to stop. I believe in forgiveness and even forgive you for being a racist.

MLK marched for ALL men, so that we could all live together as equals. Current leaders and preachers have played the black community to keep racial tensions high because that's where they make their money and maintain control.

I am not God and don't dare determine what's in Deen's heart. She apologized, but the racists don't want to accept it. Geez, how unChristian of them.

When you go into a classroom and understand what I am talking about, then come back and discuss it. You don't have any idea the problems teachers have with regard to silly things like hair and how a kid dresses. The most important thing that should be happening in school is education, not fashion statements, not a hairdo, and certainly not flipping off the folks who work hard to educate American children.

Once again, your lack of experience and knowledge makes you an embarrassment when the only point you want to argue is racism.

racism
  • Joey Politic... 2013/06/23 14:30:10
    Joey
    I am racist for calling people like you and Deen out . That is just so funny . You know that is not logical at all . Every day you come here defending racist left and right and you have the gall to the call me racist . That would be sad if it wasn't so funny .

This has nothing to do with G*d, beyond that she did not just say she was sorry, in her statements she said it is ok to use racist and sexist jokes at work. Yeah and just saying she is sorry now after being called out about is meaningless .

My mother was a teacher and she was upset that they would try to ban something like that, so I have someone who was a teacher for 30 something years saying that the ban is wrong. I was a Sunday school teacher and I think the ban is wrong .

And you think Natural black here is a wrong . That says a lot .
  • Politic... Joey 2013/06/23 14:39:40
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    Yes, you are a racist. It is VERY logical, but you have proven to be totally illogical and without the ability to think. Racism appears to eat you alive because THAT is the only conversation you have. You are pretty pathetic. Actually, you don't have a clue what I do every day, so you're a liar as well. Racists do lie to present their case, that's true.

Document that she said it was OK to use racist slurs.

I've been in education longer than you've been alive and longer than your mother, and she's as full of BS as you are. YOU go to church? Amazing.

You don't even know what I think. You're just a racist twit trying to cower folks because you think calling them a racist will put them "in their place." Well, you're wrong, as usual. You can call me a racist until you turn Christian (for real), but it doesn't bother me what people I have no respect for, call me. Got it, Joey?
  • Joey Politic... 2013/06/23 14:56:33
    Joey
    I love the righteous indignation that you show in your post , it is something wonderful to see. You say I am racist since I am eaten alive by it, sorry but that is not what racism is . Unlike your self who have talked negatively about Natural African American hair and supported racist people I have no said anything like that about white people in general.

As far as Deen ...

"It's just what they are, they're jokes," she quips.

The lawyer presses on, asking if she considers those that use the N-word to be "mean," which is when Deen really lays it all on the table, so to speak.

"That's kind of hard," she concedes, because … "Most jokes are about Jewish people, rednecks, black folks. Most jokes target — I don't know — I didn't make up the jokes, I don't know. I can't _ I don't know … I can't, myself, determine what offends another person."

http://omg.yahoo.com/blogs/ce...

My mother is full of a BS, since she is is competent in her job and natural African-American hair does not stop the learning process for her stand . WOW. If you can not handle a girl with Natural hair you must really be bad at your job.

I love who you throw around Christian this Christian that yet you say rude thing after rude things. It is kind of telling about how real of the Christian you are.
  • Politic... Joey 2013/06/23 15:31:31
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    The beholder interprets what is read, whether right or wrong, but in your case, you are usually wrong. You are eaten alive with your own racism. You see it behind every bush and tree, every comment, every thread. You're an ass, Joey. You don't have the abilities to interpret anything and you are pretty boring because you will fight to the death to be totally wrong. You simply don't have the power to learn. AND you are the one calling everyone a racist, people you don't even know. You are a racist, pure and simple. You can whine and mewl all you want, but you're a racist. I strongly suspect the nut doesn't fall far from the tree either.

Deen may very well be a racist, but she apologized and I will accept her at her word. If it happens again, then she is a problem.

So, according to you, your mother is full of BS:
    "My mother is full of a BS, since she is is competent in her job and natural African-American hair does not stop the learning process for her stand . WOW. If you can not handle a girl with Natural hair you must really be bad at your job."

I don't care if someone's hair grows to their toes and is twisted in a knot around their neck. . As the adult, I'm not sitting behind anyone to have to see around. Your mother isn't either. The bottom line is that you don't give a rat's a...

I don't care if someone's hair grows to their toes and is twisted in a knot around their neck. . As the adult, I'm not sitting behind anyone to have to see around. Your mother isn't either. The bottom line is that you don't give a rat's ass about the other kids in the class as long as someone has the "do" they want. What a selfish, arrogant twit you are.

Who said I was a Christian? LOLOLOL There you go, assuming something again. It must be horrible to be wrong as much as you are, but saying that your mother is full of BS. Geez, Joey.
  • Joey Politic... 2013/06/23 16:33:41
    Joey
    Wow you really don't know what the term racist means do you. Pointing out racism is not racist. Supporting it like you do is a racist .

She only apologized AFTER it was bad public, as showed she did not care when her brother bad racist jokes at a place of work . When you apologize in a self-serving manner that is not a real.

First most puffs don't get in the way of people trying to learn. Next a tall kid would get in the way of someone more than puffs would, next they also banned box Braids.. what is your excuse for that one . They in know way get in the way. You want black kids to put harsh chemicals on their hair that can lead to it falling out, and that will cause burns. But I am selfish for not wanting to subject young people to that . You are a sad and bitter racist .
  • Politic... Joey 2013/06/23 18:05:04 (edited)
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    People with racism on the brain and constantly denegrating others for being "racist"? You're a hoot. The only way I could support racism is by supporting you and your unending whining, complaining, and insutling people about racism.

Most people do apologize after, not before. So what?

BTW, you do realize that your grammar and sentence structure gets worst as your panties wad up, don't you? Want to try rewriting this one:

She only apologized AFTER it was bad public, as showed she did not care when her brother bad racist jokes at a place of work .

and

They in know way get in the way

What harsh chemicals? I never even mentioned anything other than quipping that I thought braids were a good style.

You are selfish, you are immature, but your absolutely worst trait is:

racist
  • Joey Politic... 2013/06/23 18:28:08
    Joey
    Once more calling out racism is not racism . How hard is this for you to understand .

Most people say they are sorry after they noticed they did something wrong . Deen did not do this, one pointed out how she might have been wrong she defended her statements. It is only when it hit her in the pocket did she say she was sorry.

What harsh Chemicals? For a black girl to get "good" she she has to be chemicals in it. Also the school that you support bans braids. Before you start telling black girls what they should do with their hair you might want to learn something about it .
  • Politic... Joey 2013/06/23 18:29:15 (edited)
    PoliticallyIncorrect
    You still can't read:

racist

2014/11/25 02:04:42