Should Sports Fans Be More Considerate to Kids?

Sports 2012/04/27 20:00:00
Many of you may have already seen the infamous clip that was featured prominently on Gawker-owned site Deadspin.com. But if you haven't, here's the basic summary. A little boy and his parents are at the New York Yankees at Texas Rangers game the other night. A foul ball flies into the stands. His parents try to catch the ball for their young son. They're unsuccessful. However, the couple sitting next to them manages to snatch the ball. The couple next to the family are two grown adults. They cherish the foul ball like it's gold and the little boy starts crying uncontrollably.

Now think about what you would do in that situation as an adult who had just caught a foul ball at a game right next to a sad and disappointed little boy. Would you give him the foul ball? If you answered yes, you're a better person than the couple that instead posed with the ball and took pictures of it like they had a winning lottery ticket -- right in front of the boy and his family.

Luckily for all the parents watching out there, Yankees announcer Michael Kay got the cameramen to witness the rudeness by the couple and put them on blast for millions of people to see. It's one thing if the couple caught the ball. It's another to completely ignore the kid and act like a foul ball is gold. On top of that, they were caught making out, although we're not sure if that's an FCC violation.

All kidding aside, the Rangers gave the boy a ball after seeing what happened. Most importantly, the kid left the game with a smile on his face. As for his parents? They kept their cool. The couple? They just acted cool while everyone in America laughed at them.

• Stef an... Caedus0... 2012/04/28 17:47:45
    Stef and the City
    +1
    But you would have given him the ball? Like any decent human being should...
  • Caedus0... Stef an... 2012/04/28 17:52:10
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    yes AFTER he stopped crying. You don't cry to get what you want!
  • Stef an... Caedus0... 2012/04/28 18:22:06
    Stef and the City
    Do you agree that it was in bad taste for the couple to gloat and take pictures with the ball infront of the child and his parents which also may have contributed to his crying? I think the gloating grown ups are worse than the crying toddler but maybe that's just me.
  • Caedus0... Stef an... 2012/04/28 18:27:57 (edited)
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    i didnt see it as gloating. He was going about his business,. It was not like he held the ball up in the kid's face saying nyah nyah nyaha!!! He just wasn't concerned about the kid crying. That imo doesn't make him a bad person. I just watched the video again it was actual the dad's fault he lowered the kid down WAAAY too late. Watch it closely!!!
  • Stef an... Caedus0... 2012/04/28 18:41:53
    Stef and the City
    Wasn't the ball meant for him though, didn't the player toss it toward them with the intention of it being for the boy? Yes.
  • Caedus0... Stef an... 2012/04/28 19:10:54
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    no, he just tossed the ball in the crowd they Always do that.
  • Stef an... Caedus0... 2012/04/28 19:15:00
    Stef and the City
    +1
    Yeah they do, usually to kids...
  • MrFabul... Caedus0... 2012/04/29 00:48:54
    MrFabulous47
    +1
    Dude....he's like 3 or 4 years old!! Kids brains simply aren't wired to control a strong emotion like the one he experienced there. You can try to explain the situation to him, but he just won't understand it. The guy was a total d-bag!
  • Caedus0... MrFabul... 2012/04/29 00:55:44 (edited)
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    as true as that may be..... it wasn't his kid. I'd like to think that the kid would have recovered sooner than you think. My mom didn't give in every time I cried for something I wanted. And I'd like to think I turned out fine. He was supposed to take the ball from his date who seemed just as excited to have the ball and give it to a crying child who had NO claim to the ball other than he wanted it?
  • MrFabul... Caedus0... 2012/04/29 20:44:49
  • Max7 2012/04/28 04:37:04
    Max7
    +1
    I have some friends who are devout Cleveland Brown fans, and they wanted their son to have the experience of watching the game from all places, "the infamous dog pound." Well, let me tell you, this didn't go over too good. I think that their son is approximately 12 or 13 years of age, and after sitting in that dog pound, his ears will probably never be the same. Politely, the mom asked if they could please kind of keep the profanity down, and they cursed her out, her husband and the little boy. Personally, I feel that was very ignorant on the fans part, but to be truthfful, never would I have taken my child into that hostile environment. Let's face it, nine out of ten, you knew that the Browns were going to loose, so most of the fans are angry before they get to the game. I have a friend who's a diehard Brown's fan, I am a diehard Steelers fan, and he's always trying to get me to go to the game with him, now I wasn't born yesterday, and I didn't fall off of the turnip truck. I'd be a complete fool to go into the dog pound dressed in Black & Gold, I don't think so. Sometimes you got to use your head for more than a hat rack.
  • findthelight2000 2012/04/28 04:27:38
    findthelight2000
    But that doesn't change the fact that some kids are much more mature than some adults.
  • Stef and the City 2012/04/28 04:19:52 (edited)
    Stef and the City
    +6
    They could have taken a picture with it and enjoyed the attention for a while then passed it to the toddler but no, they didn't. You're now on the most hated couples list of 2012. jhjh
  • Headsho... Stef an... 2012/04/28 10:30:17
    Headshot760
    +2
    Not mine, if anything they deserve a cookie.
  • Stef an... Headsho... 2012/04/28 17:37:33
    Stef and the City
    +1
    I have a cookie for them. It's still warm too.
    ddssf
  • Headsho... Stef an... 2012/04/28 21:16:59
    Headshot760
    +1
    Damn I'm never eating at your house. That's some pretty weird taste you have there.
  • Stef an... Headsho... 2012/04/28 21:25:50
  • Headsho... Stef an... 2012/04/28 21:41:40
    Headshot760
    Lol I love the fact that you actually thought you had to explain yourself. Lol.
  • Stef an... Headsho... 2012/04/28 21:48:47
    Stef and the City
    It's probably best that YOU wouldn't eat at my house because you might just get the real thing.
  • Headsho... Stef an... 2012/04/28 21:53:57
    Headshot760
    Aww :( I was actually looking forward to an invitation.
  • Stef an... Headsho... 2012/04/28 22:11:24
    Stef and the City
    Suuure ya were.
    soul
  • Headsho... Stef an... 2012/04/29 02:21:53
    Headshot760
    +1
    No I actually was.
  • Angus Stef an... 2012/04/28 12:14:25
    Angus
    +1
    Just because the refused to distribute something they caught? Kid needs to learn that if you want something you've got to earn it.
  • KB Angus 2012/04/28 13:08:41
    KB
    +2
    It was meant for him asswipe.
  • Angus KB 2012/04/28 16:52:40
    Angus
    Wow. How impressive. Seems that your education was spend mostly in the bathroom.
  • Stef an... Angus 2012/04/28 17:46:05
    Stef and the City
    "was spend mostly in the bathroom." Is it spend or spent?
  • Angus Stef an... 2012/04/29 16:22:47
    Angus
    Wow. You actually got something right. Guess the 7 years of Elementary School paid off after all ;-)
  • KB Angus 2012/04/28 17:54:20
    KB
    +1
    Wow, sounds like you're still a prick.
  • MrFabul... KB 2012/04/28 18:03:27
    MrFabulous47
    +2
    LOL. Obviously some loser who was always picked last in gym class & he lives his entire adult life vowing "revenge". What happened in the video is the a perfect example of these dorks as adults! These are the same pathetic jokers who buy expensive golf clubs, take weekly lessons, buy the best golf clothes/shoes & go out every Sunday and get their ass handed to them by guys like me who play once a month with 20 year old clibs and never have had a lesson. God, being a man & having no athletic talent or abilities must feel like you have been castrated. But I wouldn't know....what's it like Angus?
  • Angus MrFabul... 2012/04/29 16:26:28
    Angus
    Seems that you're talking about yourself. You're wife still beating you up? Given that she took your balls a long time ago there is not much left of your so called manhood anyway. I'm sure that you spend much of your school years in the garbage can after the girls spanked you around for a while. How does life on looser planet work out for you?
  • Angus KB 2012/04/29 16:23:09
    Angus
    I make the mistake of living in reality; a cruel world where facts and truth dominate over fairy dust and good feelings...As such, I'm incapable of understanding the world of make-believe where Liberal turds say anything - with or without logic - and expect the general population to simply shake their heads in agreement. A world where the sheep follow. And it's not a shepherd they follow but a sheep shearer who fleeces them physically, emotionally, logically, and financially.
  • Stef an... Angus 2012/04/28 17:41:05
    Stef and the City
    +1
    How do you earn a foul ball at a baseball game? They clearly saw the parents of the toddler going for it and still decided to snatch it up instead. This isn't a kid begging for an ice-cream cone because someone else has one, this is about a memory and a young fan who wanted a keepsake and a dad who wanted it for his son and probably felt like a failure afterward.
  • Headsho... Stef an... 2012/04/28 21:12:19
    Headshot760
    That kid is way to young for that ball to mean anything to him! To him it's just any ordinary ball that he would end up forgetting all about it as soon as he gets home. You can tell how much of a spoiled brat he is by the way he reaches out like the ball has always been his after the guy picked up the ball.
  • Stef an... Headsho... 2012/04/28 21:18:53
    Stef and the City
    He's reaching for it because the player tossed it toward him like they so often do at baseball games when they spot a kid in the crowd.
  • Headsho... Stef an... 2012/04/28 21:48:32
    Headshot760
    +1
    Yeah towards him not to him, Which means it wasn't meant For him. I'm so sick and tired of kids that act like everything belongs to them by some divine right.
  • MrFabul... Headsho... 2012/04/29 04:52:23
    MrFabulous47
    +1
    Yeah, that 3-year old is a real douche-bag isn't he? His parents need to be a lot tougher on him!
  • Headsho... MrFabul... 2012/04/29 06:01:58
    Headshot760
    No the parent are the douche bags for not raising the kid right.
  • MrFabul... Headsho... 2012/04/30 01:38:37
    MrFabulous47
    So you say. Truly, I am concerned with how you were raised as this is clearly a black & white issue. The ball was meant for the kid, the guy SHOULD have given it to the kid, and he was a major dick for not doing so. Sometiimes things ARE that simple. You just do the right thing.
  • Headsho... MrFabul... 2012/04/30 18:52:48 (edited)
    Headshot760
    It wasn't meant for the kid, that's the point. I was raised right, I didn't get everything handed to me, i didn't get served on a silver platter, and if I wanted something I had to earn it. I wasn't raised to think that everything in the world belonged to me.
  • Angus Stef an... 2012/04/29 16:27:07
    Angus
    Sarcasm is wasted on the simple minded. I rest my case.........................

2014/11/25 01:49:22