Should Sports Fans Be More Considerate to Kids?

Sports 2012/04/27 20:00:00
Many of you may have already seen the infamous clip that was featured prominently on Gawker-owned site Deadspin.com. But if you haven't, here's the basic summary. A little boy and his parents are at the New York Yankees at Texas Rangers game the other night. A foul ball flies into the stands. His parents try to catch the ball for their young son. They're unsuccessful. However, the couple sitting next to them manages to snatch the ball. The couple next to the family are two grown adults. They cherish the foul ball like it's gold and the little boy starts crying uncontrollably.

Now think about what you would do in that situation as an adult who had just caught a foul ball at a game right next to a sad and disappointed little boy. Would you give him the foul ball? If you answered yes, you're a better person than the couple that instead posed with the ball and took pictures of it like they had a winning lottery ticket -- right in front of the boy and his family.

Luckily for all the parents watching out there, Yankees announcer Michael Kay got the cameramen to witness the rudeness by the couple and put them on blast for millions of people to see. It's one thing if the couple caught the ball. It's another to completely ignore the kid and act like a foul ball is gold. On top of that, they were caught making out, although we're not sure if that's an FCC violation.

All kidding aside, the Rangers gave the boy a ball after seeing what happened. Most importantly, the kid left the game with a smile on his face. As for his parents? They kept their cool. The couple? They just acted cool while everyone in America laughed at them.

• betsy 2012/04/28 14:59:22 (edited)
    betsy
    I would have given the ball to the little boy, but I wouldn't expect anyone to do the same. Just depends what the situation is.
  • LaLa 2012/04/28 14:58:28
    LaLa
    that poor kid :(
  • Reichstolz 2012/04/28 14:47:56
    Reichstolz
    +3
    It is a great lesson to teach a child. Just because you want something and have your hand out doesn't mean someone else is going to give you anything.
  • Reggie☮ 2012/04/28 14:45:31
    Reggie☮
    +1
    The couple did not steal the ball from this family. Although I feel sad for this little boy, do you really think at his age he's a big fan??? He's a fan because his Parents are. If they threw out a sock and the kid didn't get it he would have cried, at least thats my guess. Parents need to teach their children that everything is NOT theirs and they don't always get the prize. Maybe the other couple had a member of their family they planned to give the ball too, one of their children or a niece or nephew.
  • jackie 2012/04/28 14:39:29
    jackie
    +2
    Honestly the ball is theirs. They caught it fair and square. Giving the ball is called BEING NICE. Not giving the ball to him means "It is his property because he cries for it". You cant have everything and you should be taught that as a kid (I was taught that as a kid). That kid would probably be in the store and if his parents said "No" to a candy bar he would cry.
  • Hbomb 2012/04/28 14:31:42
  • SK-pro impeachment 2012/04/28 14:17:32
    SK-pro impeachment
    +2
    Wow! Another piss poor journalistic story without all the freaking facts. I think it's time journalists should lose their 1st amendment rights if they don't reporting on truth and facts. This 'incident' reveals how piss poor journalism really is nowadays.
  • Blonde Rebellion 2012/04/28 14:07:35
    Blonde Rebellion
    +1
    I meant to click yes..
  • Osaka 2012/04/28 13:52:03
    Osaka
    If they want this generation to like sports.
  • stephanie.bennettkrapa 2012/04/28 12:56:40
    stephanie.bennettkrapa
    +2
    Just saw the couple on the Today Show. Before I saw them I thought these people where out of line by teasing this child with the ball.After watching the show and what was really going on. I was reminded that we should jump to judgement cause just remember that the camera has all angles and we do not,as that couple didn't see that little boy cryn for the ball. This was there first game and they where in there on little world and if you have ever been to a game. You know how noisy it is. Now they are getn all kinds of hate mail.This is just to much.They said that if either of them had seen him that they would of gave him the ball. I do feel bad for the little boy don't get me wrong.Who wouldn't..Right!!.
  • Tenness... stephan... 2012/04/28 17:03:41
    Tennessee3501
    The Texas Rangers did give the little boy a ball. The story had a happy ending!
  • vannuck 2012/04/28 12:38:55
    vannuck
    considerite as in minding language,manners ect...yes but the situation about the ball first come first serve...
  • jerry.alan.carroll 2012/04/28 12:23:45
    jerry.alan.carroll
    +7
    in this situation these folks got the ball first, fair and square. get over it....this is what is making america into a bunch of wimps....no one owes you anything...work your ass off for it yourself and don't expect handouts.
  • jackie jerry.a... 2012/04/28 14:41:33
  • (>*~*)>... jerry.a... 2012/04/28 21:07:27
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    +2
    Thank you!
  • Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll 2012/04/28 12:22:20
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +4
    Can't win them all. That kid is a cry baby.
  • Caedus0... Mr.Hood... 2012/04/28 23:53:28
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    +1
    lol I agree
  • Mr.Hood... Caedus0... 2012/04/29 13:33:54
    Mr.Hoodz the Truth Troll
    +1
    All the smart minds do. lol
  • Angus 2012/04/28 12:09:20
    Angus
    +3
    This picture just says it all. Entitlement class wants something that doesn't belong to them, cannot get it and starts crying about it.
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/04/28 11:37:41
    Nekosarethebest
    I guess, personally, I would've gave it to him. I want to be able to do something nice for kids like people my age and up used to do (and still do) for me. Acts of kindness get me through life.
  • Fenabarb 2012/04/28 11:24:41
    Fenabarb
    I would of given it to him but that me
  • Fenabarb Fenabarb 2012/04/28 11:28:00
    Fenabarb
    the commentator had the right call
  • Angus Fenabarb 2012/04/28 12:11:28
    Angus
    No he did not. Just put his liberal spin on it and jumped to conclusions.
  • Fenabarb Angus 2012/04/28 12:25:57
    Fenabarb
    true you can see the people most likely had no idea the child was crying - crowd noise and camera angles ect.
    good marketing op-
  • jackie Angus 2012/04/28 14:49:46
    jackie
    im liberal and look at my comment,
  • Angus jackie 2012/04/28 16:51:24
    Angus
    I wasn't referring to your comment ;-)
  • Headshot760 2012/04/28 10:21:39 (edited)
    Headshot760
    +6
    Isn't this why people want these seats? I'm think the people sitting in these seats go to the game with the hopes of catching a ball. This couple gets lucky enough to do so and now what was probably one hell of a day gets ruined by some spoiled brat crying. To anyone that answered yes you have to understand that to this kid the ball has no meaning, it's just another ordinary ball. I'm pretty sure that the ball because a treasured item to anyone who's caught a foul ball. If anything people should criticize the parents for having such a spoiled kid.
  • joe mauro Headsho... 2012/04/29 21:14:33
    joe mauro
    because he cried he is spoiled,his dad misled him.nerdy organization nerdy dad nerdy kid
  • Katniss 2012/04/28 10:02:29
    Katniss
    +5
    If the kid had caught it and the guy grabbed it from him, yes, it would be unacceptable. But the guy got it fair and square and the kid needs to learn you don't always get everything your way in life.
  • Roblem BN-0 2012/04/28 04:58:51
    Roblem BN-0
    +2
    of course not. This is America home of the greedy and the selfish. :-(
  • addie 2012/04/28 04:58:35 (edited)
    addie
    +2
    Uhck! I hate kids (most of them anyway) and if they are the whiny, crying kind, they should not even be let out (even if they are still doing it in their teens - and they usually are)!

Maybe that couple had a kid at home who would have loved that ball!
    If they gave this little cretan the ball it would have been nice, but it would have been NICER if the parents kept the tantrum prone idiot away from the public!

Personally I would never grab a foul ball away from a child, but I am the sensative type.
  • Karl 2012/04/28 04:57:24
    Karl
    +5
    Big deal. Sometimes you don't get what you want in life.
  • the Supreme 2012/04/28 04:55:56
    the Supreme
    YES! ppl need to remember its just a game and its ok to root for another team!!!
  • Headsho... the Sup... 2012/04/28 10:25:48
    Headshot760
    +2
    Wtf does that have to do with giving the ball to the kid?
  • the Sup... Headsho... 2012/04/28 15:43:21
    the Supreme
    i was saying in general with sports all together i thought this was another article about a dad getting his ass beat because the kids wearing a different jersey
  • Angus the Sup... 2012/04/28 12:13:09
    Angus
    Excuse me, but they both were Ranger fans ;-)
  • the Sup... Angus 2012/04/28 16:05:46
    the Supreme
    +1
    excuse me for not reading the article lol
  • Headsho... the Sup... 2012/04/28 21:39:23
    Headshot760
    Then maybe you should read articles before commenting on them.
  • the Sup... Headsho... 2012/04/29 03:48:13
    the Supreme
    good idea... actually about this particular instance i didnt really care enough about the subject i looked at the picture of the kid crying and it made me think of the time about the dad getting his ass beat with a baseball bat in the parking lot for wearing a different jersey; have a nice day:)
  • Caedus01 Sith Lord of the P... 2012/04/28 04:39:52
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    +3
    That ball was NOT promised to that kid it was UP FOR GRABS!!! That kid was acting a little spoiled. Its not like he snatched it from his hand. He just got to it before he did. I would have given him the ball. AFTER he stopped crying.

2014/08/01 13:55:23