Should Sports Fans Be More Considerate to Kids?

Sports 2012/04/27 20:00:00
Many of you may have already seen the infamous clip that was featured prominently on Gawker-owned site Deadspin.com. But if you haven't, here's the basic summary. A little boy and his parents are at the New York Yankees at Texas Rangers game the other night. A foul ball flies into the stands. His parents try to catch the ball for their young son. They're unsuccessful. However, the couple sitting next to them manages to snatch the ball. The couple next to the family are two grown adults. They cherish the foul ball like it's gold and the little boy starts crying uncontrollably.

Now think about what you would do in that situation as an adult who had just caught a foul ball at a game right next to a sad and disappointed little boy. Would you give him the foul ball? If you answered yes, you're a better person than the couple that instead posed with the ball and took pictures of it like they had a winning lottery ticket -- right in front of the boy and his family.

Luckily for all the parents watching out there, Yankees announcer Michael Kay got the cameramen to witness the rudeness by the couple and put them on blast for millions of people to see. It's one thing if the couple caught the ball. It's another to completely ignore the kid and act like a foul ball is gold. On top of that, they were caught making out, although we're not sure if that's an FCC violation.

All kidding aside, the Rangers gave the boy a ball after seeing what happened. Most importantly, the kid left the game with a smile on his face. As for his parents? They kept their cool. The couple? They just acted cool while everyone in America laughed at them.

• TasselLady 2012/04/28 21:03:53
    TasselLady
    Yep.
  • MARK WELLS 2012/04/28 20:24:05
    MARK WELLS
    +2
    If it was me that caught the ball, I would have given it to the little boy even if I hadn't seen that he was crying. As adults probably have been to many games, they may have caught balls before. However, this may have been the little boy's first baseball game. I would have given the ball to him, expected a thank you from him and his parents, then simply made a comment about teaching them that they can't always get everything they want in life. But...the one thing I would NOT have done is to act like that ball was gold and pose with it for pictures right in front of the family. That is rude and also makes it seem like you knew the kid was upset by not getting the ball. This couple should have had respect and waited until after they returned home to take the pictures.
  • Bob DiN MARK WELLS 2012/04/28 23:45:31
    Bob DiN
    +1
    If you want the ball you must catch, a good lesson in life for the kid.
  • MARK WELLS Bob DiN 2012/04/29 02:36:39
    MARK WELLS
    +1
    I never said every person would be the way I am. Not all little kids are good at catching balls like adults are, so maybe the parents were trying to catch it for their son. Why is it that only adults are allowed to catch balls and gloat over it in front of young children. If you had actually read what I posted...you would have noticed that I mentioned telling the parents to teach their child they don't always get everything they want in life.
  • Bob DiN MARK WELLS 2012/04/29 05:25:01
    Bob DiN
    When they catch it they catch it. If they can't that's life.
  • MARK WELLS Bob DiN 2012/04/29 07:19:40
    MARK WELLS
    +1
    For the last time.......I said that not everyone is the same. I NEVER said that the couple had to give the ball to the child. I only said that I would. Why are you getting on my case for what I said when others have also said that it would have been nice to give the ball to the little boy? Why don't you just back off.
  • Apache 2012/04/28 20:22:18
  • Old Nel... Apache 2012/04/29 00:45:00
    Old Nellie Bones
    Not the babies fault though.The expression on the mothers face says it all.It will kick her in the ass when that kid becomes a teenager.
  • Bart 2012/04/28 20:07:52
    Bart
    +2
    Well it would have been nice to give the kid the ball but they didn't have to, they caught it why should they have given it to the boy
  • The Logical Canadian 2012/04/28 19:17:29
    The Logical Canadian
    +3
    Here's an idea, stop treating like its a huge once in a life time thing grown ups! Its a damn baseball game! Nothing else
  • CraigPL... The Log... 2012/04/29 02:00:07
    CraigPLewis
    I agree. Adults are supposed to be the mature ones.
  • Kigan 2012/04/28 18:47:27 (edited)
    Kigan
    +6
    They caught the ball. I fail to see why they should give it to the crying kid just because he is a kid. And I fail to see any reason they can't celebrate catching the ball. People do that all the time - acting like it is the most valuable thing in the whole stadium. But this couple is now "rude" because there was a tantrum-throwing kid nearby that wanted the ball.

If I'm ever at a game - not likely - and I happen to catch a ball, sure I might give it to a kid nearby. But that is my choice, I'm not obligated to in any way. Especially if he starts throwing a tantrum over it. In that case he gets nothing, as it should be.

Honestly, this is a good time for this kid to realize he's not going to get everything he sees and wants in this world.

Giving the kid a ball after the game is just letting him know to throw a tantrum when he wants something.
  • CraigPL... Kigan 2012/04/29 02:02:31
    CraigPLewis
    Tantrums are only ever for young children.

You would be obligated to give the ball over if you were asked to do so.
  • Kigan CraigPL... 2012/04/29 02:12:33
    Kigan
    +2
    Asked by whom, exactly?
  • jada 2012/04/28 18:09:49 (edited)
    jada
    +3
    well ya know people are there to watch the game so they get harsh a bit cause your kids is crying kids crying
  • Calm down! 2012/04/28 18:09:23
    Calm down!
    +1
    Yes! There are some huge retards that go to games! They freak out and act like their whole live depends on their team winning!

Crazy fan screaming at game Crazy fan screaming at game
  • Eric Haddix 2012/04/28 17:55:08 (edited)
    Eric Haddix
    +5
    I do not understand the problem here. As with the famous finders, keepers rule, if you catch it first, then it is yours.

Since when did it become a moral imperative to give any baseball which you catch at a baseball game to any kid who wants it and cries over it?

Yes, I, personally, might take pity on a kid and give them a baseball which I caught. But, even so, I would do so because I chose to, not because anyone like the kid, the kids' parents, or the announcer expected me to.
  • Michael Boham 2012/04/28 17:39:28
    Michael Boham
    +4
    Kids need to learn they aren't going to get everything they want, and you shouldn't give them anything if they're going to whine and cry about it, because that's a sign that the child is spoiled. Besides, it's a stupid ball, it's nothing special.
  • Old Nel... Michael... 2012/04/28 22:17:08
  • cynsity 2012/04/28 17:37:53
    cynsity
    +1
    of course children learn through example. They could have given the little boy teh ball and he could have learned to say thank you. or they could have at least not made an issue of getting teh ball and teh boy would have learned such things are not very important in life.

But really what happened to ball games being for families? I wouldn't take my kids to these events for any reason any more although I went every game from the time I was 6 to I was 17. Today the adults fight, curse, act inapproprately....
  • diarslade 2012/04/28 17:35:32
    diarslade
    +1
    Well in general they should be yeah, but I'm not sure how I feel about it in this case. It's fairly easy to get caught up in the moment, and it's a live game. It's hard to hear anything, even the person next to you. Kids cry all the time at these types of games for that exact reason, sure I'd have given the ball to the kid too...if I heard em.
  • Nick Name 2012/04/28 17:31:23
    Nick Name
    +2
    That is awful. Bravo to the Rangers for making sure that got a ball before leaving.

That disgusting couple claimed they didn't see or hear the kid.
    Later during an interview they claimed they were owed an apology by Michael Kay.

These people are disgustingly narcissistic.
    And then they claim they didn't see or hear the kid? AND that they are being mistreated.

They should stay away from sporting events for a long time.
    They might experience more 'unfairness'. Accidents happen.
  • GLaDOS 2012/04/28 17:26:47
    GLaDOS
    +1
    I mean, yeah, they caught it, awesome, but still! I certainly would've given it to the kid. I mean, that's the sort of thing that childhood memories are made of! And you can be the douche who sits there, oblivious, instead ignoring him for the piece of ass in the seat next to you.

I am glad that the Rangers gave the kid a ball.
  • diarslade GLaDOS 2012/04/28 17:40:07
    diarslade
    +2
    I am too, and I'd have given the kid the ball as well. I think it's a little unfair to these two people to call them "the worst people ever." perhaps "highly unobservant." would be a better describer. I'd love to be able to say "Yeah, I'd have noticed the kid." but I'm not so sure I would have...does that make me a douche because I innocently didn't notice the kid?
  • GLaDOS diarslade 2012/04/28 21:34:55 (edited)
  • diarslade GLaDOS 2012/04/29 03:45:31
    diarslade
    +2
    Well yeah, but you never know! You could be too busy staring at my gluteus maximus! It so nice you know.

They did offer to give the kid the ball once they finally figured it out, so that's a saving grace. The point is, is that it was a rather innocent mistake, that got blown up. This kind of thing happens ALL the time and no one says a word. Why is this one any different? Because some sports announcer decided to be uber judgmental.

Besides...I still think the title "worst people ever" goes a little too far >.> I mean after all we live in a world where someone will rain bombs on you because you belong to a different tribe. Not noticing a screaming kid (among probably several hundred other screaming kids...and fans) is hardly a qualifier of "worst people ever"
  • GLaDOS diarslade 2012/04/29 06:48:47
  • gvc GLaDOS 2012/04/29 03:25:11
    gvc
    +1
    That " piece of ass" you referred too is his fiance, well actually today his wife.
    It was their first ballgame together, and they were not paying attention to the child.
    BTW....they have 7 children between them.
    Save your judgements. You don't know squat about these people.
  • GLaDOS gvc 2012/04/29 06:44:49
    GLaDOS
    Girlfriend, fiancee (fiance is male), wife, hooker, sugarbaby, whatever, she's still a piece of ass, particularly if they have seven kids between them.
  • gvc GLaDOS 2012/04/29 09:40:37
    gvc
    You are truly a vulgar person.
    Get some class, you nasty POS!
  • GLaDOS gvc 2012/04/29 13:19:13 (edited)
    GLaDOS
    Haha. I consider myself blunt. Unless they are an asexual couple, then the female is a piece of ass, it's merely one of the parts she plays. Piece of ass, possibly cook, maybe breadwinner? Never know. Oh, and since they're a "combined family of seven," according to the article, I suppose either not all of them are both of theirs, or none of them are.

But, not everyone can handle a blunt truth like that.
  • gvc GLaDOS 2012/04/29 15:20:09
    gvc
    Hardly a truth! More like your twisted opinion.

No worries, I have considered the source.
  • GLaDOS gvc 2012/04/29 15:24:10
    GLaDOS
    Well, a piece of ass, basically suggests that it is the/a person that someone has sex with. So, is she not a piece of ass? ^_^ If so, I'm sorry for the guy, she's kind of alright looking.
  • gvc GLaDOS 2012/04/30 00:25:49
    gvc
    Charming. 0.o
  • Nica24 2012/04/28 17:19:48
    Nica24
    +4
    The Rangers did their part in being considerate of the little boy whom was a fan. That was their job.

The couple was unaware of what was taking place. It's not their position to take of the child. As for the parents, the dad is slacking in trying to calm his child down & talking him thru it. The patents have a lot of fault in this, control your child. This shouldn't have been his reaction.
  • Tennessee3501 2012/04/28 17:07:48
    Tennessee3501
    +1
    In this case, however, the couple has explained that they were not aware hat he was crying, and somebody from the Texas Rangers saw what was happening and gave the little boy a ball. The story had a happy ending. Kudos to the Texas Rangers!
  • harley oldman 2012/04/28 16:46:08
    harley oldman
    ...YEP...!
  • West 2012/04/28 16:04:31 (edited)
    West
    +4
    The couple said in an interview that they didn't notice the kid crying and if you watch the video closely, it doesn't look like the notice the kid at all. If i was them, I would sue the sports announcer for saying, "they won't give it to the kid--that's horrible!" That was a very irresponsible comment.
  • Tadeu 2012/04/28 15:49:16 (edited)
    Tadeu
    +2
    Im thinking about being the new sodahead sports writer, He/she didnt even write trying to expose all the 2 sides of fact, like thats is a good thing the kid didnt get the ball because it taught him that sometimes we cant get what we want and... mainly this little fact may have avoided that in the future the kid become a spoiled kid that wins everything that he asks the parents.
  • glass_butterfly ~YSU~ 2012/04/28 15:16:49
    glass_butterfly ~YSU~
    +3
    Personally I would have given the ball to the kid. But the kid needs to learn he's not going to get everything that he wants. He'll be alright, it's just a baseball.

2014/11/29 00:14:29