Should Sports Fans Be More Considerate to Kids?

SodaHead Sports 2012/04/27 20:00:00
Many of you may have already seen the infamous clip that was featured prominently on Gawker-owned site Deadspin.com. But if you haven't, here's the basic summary. A little boy and his parents are at the New York Yankees at Texas Rangers game the other night. A foul ball flies into the stands. His parents try to catch the ball for their young son. They're unsuccessful. However, the couple sitting next to them manages to snatch the ball. The couple next to the family are two grown adults. They cherish the foul ball like it's gold and the little boy starts crying uncontrollably.

texas rangers

Now think about what you would do in that situation as an adult who had just caught a foul ball at a game right next to a sad and disappointed little boy. Would you give him the foul ball? If you answered yes, you're a better person than the couple that instead posed with the ball and took pictures of it like they had a winning lottery ticket -- right in front of the boy and his family.

Luckily for all the parents watching out there, Yankees announcer Michael Kay got the cameramen to witness the rudeness by the couple and put them on blast for millions of people to see. It's one thing if the couple caught the ball. It's another to completely ignore the kid and act like a foul ball is gold. On top of that, they were caught making out, although we're not sure if that's an FCC violation.

All kidding aside, the Rangers gave the boy a ball after seeing what happened. Most importantly, the kid left the game with a smile on his face. As for his parents? They kept their cool. The couple? They just acted cool while everyone in America laughed at them.

• crewzer1 crewzer1 2012/04/29 02:04:06
    crewzer1
    Also i wanted to rave you, but the raves have disappeared. Anybody else having this Problem?
  • disclaimer 2012/04/29 02:00:32
    disclaimer
    If the kid were older, no. But come on. If you're not going to give the ball, show some consideration and don't take pictures RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE KID'S FACE. Good for the Rangers.
  • CraigPLewis 2012/04/29 01:55:39 (edited)
    CraigPLewis
    +2
    If it were me doing the catching, I'd have caught it, held onto it, waited till a child near me was crying, and then give them the ball. I would also give a nearby parent or child the ball if they asked me for it. I would have retained ownership of the ball if no families or children around me asked me for it, or clearly wanted to have it.

I wouldn't even expect a ''Thank you'' in response.

I would have waited until I returned home after the game before taking pictures (if I still had the ball) or visibly celebrating.

Plus, a Baseball game is not so loud you cannot hear someone crying out loud next to you.

Young children sulk. It's a fact of life. Get over yourselves. I would be far more critical if a grown adult were crying to get something they weren't getting. THEN I wouldn't be so generous as a giver.
  • GLaDOS CraigPL... 2012/04/29 13:29:16
    GLaDOS
    I wish I could give this post a hundred thumbs up.
  • ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥ 2012/04/29 01:53:54
    ♥♥♥AznGurl92♥♥♥
    +2
    I think they should have been more considerate to the kid. If i caught a foul ball and there was a little kid wanting the ball, i would give it to him. Im not really that into sports, so yeah i would just give to the little kid.
  • Rubyking 2012/04/29 01:43:07
    Rubyking
    +1
    I think everyone should be more considerate to kids
  • Jenjenajenjen 2012/04/29 01:16:25
    Jenjenajenjen
    +4
    The kid is throwing a fit. Maybe parents should discipline their children.
    **Discipline does NOT mean go spank them. It means talking and other ways**
  • strawberry Jenjena... 2012/04/29 06:10:39
    strawberry
    +2
    The boy seems like a spoiled cry baby. His parents are giving him the wrong message.
  • GLaDOS strawberry 2012/04/29 07:18:47
    GLaDOS
    How? By talking to him and trying to soothe him? Saying, "It's okay?" That's the wrong message? Or was it that they accepted the "consolation prize" given by the Rangers?
  • GLaDOS Jenjena... 2012/04/29 07:19:58
    GLaDOS
    I don't see the parents getting upset about missing the ball. They look like they're just trying to calm him down. What are they supposed to do? Ignore the fact that he's upset because he's disappointed? Just pay attention to the game while he cries?

Or, should they have done what they did, and try to soothe him, tell him "it's okay" and try to make him feel better before going on about the game?
  • Sheηaηigaηs™ 2012/04/29 00:26:24 (edited)
    Sheηaηigaηs™
    +3
    I can't see NO REASON why the kid was crying, I can see the kid crying because he HAD the ball FIRST but one of the couple grabbed it away from him.
    That ball was a free for all ball!

The kid was just a spoiled brat.
  • strawberry Sheηaηi... 2012/04/29 06:11:40
    strawberry
    +1
    Maybe the boy really cried because the whole event scared him. LOL!
  • Sheηaηi... strawberry 2012/04/29 15:48:47
    Sheηaηigaηs™
    +1
    LMAO!!!
  • supercar55 2012/04/29 00:00:13
  • Bob DiN 2012/04/28 23:42:44
    Bob DiN
    +5
    Tradition is who ever catches the ball keeps the ball.
  • Sheηaηi... Bob DiN 2012/04/29 00:27:11
    Sheηaηigaηs™
    +2
    Right on!!
  • Bob DiN Sheηaηi... 2012/04/29 00:53:24
    Bob DiN
    +3
    Agreed!
  • strawberry Bob DiN 2012/04/29 06:12:32
    strawberry
    +2
    That is very correct.
  • Bob DiN strawberry 2012/04/29 09:43:57
  • Junior 2012/04/28 23:33:12
    Junior
    +4
    My mom beat my butt(and sometimes I couldn't sit for the whole day) when I whined about not getting the things I wanted. She let the pain talk to me, which was brilliant, because it told me that if I don't want that same thing to happen again, don't do that the next time.I hope that hasn't changed over the years. Well not the beating the butt, teaching them through experience that there are things they can have and things they can't.
  • supercar55 Junior 2012/04/29 00:08:01
  • strawberry supercar55 2012/04/29 06:17:09
    strawberry
    +1
    Hitting, spanking or slapping young children is not teaching them, but giving children their own way when not deserved is not productive either. Little boys grow into adult spoiled men.
  • Junior supercar55 2012/04/29 23:22:58
    Junior
    +1
    True. That happened when I was 3.
  • supercar55 Junior 2012/04/29 00:08:36
  • Junior supercar55 2012/04/29 23:26:29
    Junior
    +1
    Yeah, it probably was back then too, they just didn't enforce it as much as they do now.
  • strawberry Junior 2012/04/29 06:14:25
    strawberry
    +2
    Children are becoming too spoiled. They have to learn from very young right from wrong. His parents should have explained fairness to their son.
  • Junior strawberry 2012/04/29 23:26:59
    Junior
    +2
    That is an excellent approach.
  • wilsonmja 2012/04/28 23:12:14
    wilsonmja
    +3
    Little whiny brat. Get over it. It's a just a baseball. In about 20 years, if missing out in a free fuc*ing baseball is the worst part of your day than you'll call it the best day of your life.
  • strawberry wilsonmja 2012/04/29 06:19:42
    strawberry
    I would not give my children what they did not earn themselves. These parents are only spoiling their son. Then when such children are problem teens parents don't understand why.
  • Old Nellie Bones 2012/04/28 22:14:52
    Old Nellie Bones
    +1
    The couple could have given him the ball just to be nice.On the other hand it's a good lesson for the kid that you can't always get what you want.But what I really want to know is why do the parents have their toddler at a baseball game anyway.Seriously how much fun can a toddler have at a baseball game.Clearly not any. Get a baby sitter or stay home.
  • Bob DiN Old Nel... 2012/04/28 23:43:59
    Bob DiN
    +1
    The key llesson is you can't always get what you want and must earn what you get.
  • Old Nel... Bob DiN 2012/04/29 00:41:21
    Old Nellie Bones
    Indeed it is. Better to learn early.
  • Death On Two Legs 2012/04/28 22:13:38
    Death On Two Legs
    +6
    It wasn't the kid's ball -_-

Crying to get what you want doesn't help you
  • strawberry Death O... 2012/04/29 06:21:45
    strawberry
    +1
    Obviously this boy is already too spoiled. Actually how does anyone really know if that is what this kid was crying over.? Maybe he became afraid.
  • Caedus0... strawberry 2012/04/30 13:07:15
    Caedus01 Sith Lord of the PHAET
    no if you watch closely he ( the kid) was reaching for the ball) like it was his.
  • t.eliot, topbard 2012/04/28 21:49:45
    t.eliot, topbard
    +1
    Clueless jackasses. The players ALWAYS toss the balls to kids, so this galoot won't give it to him? It's not as if he snagged a foul pop or line drive.
  • runningintriangles 2012/04/28 21:42:55
    runningintriangles
    +5
    It's a good lesson for the kid: you don't always get what you want. Or it would have been.

Listen, in the real world, crying your eyes out doesn't get you anything you want. Most of the time it doesn't even get you sympathy. Might as well learn that as a kid.

I'm not saying I would do what the couple did (I don't go to ball games, so, really, not ever a possibility), but there's also nothing wrong with it.
  • (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<) 2012/04/28 21:18:51
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    +7
    After watching the video you can see it is possible they didn't even notice the kid crying. And whether he was crying or not you don't get everything you want in life. So anytime you get something cool like that and there is a kid crying for it you are supposed to give it to them? Of course the media is going to blow this up and make the couple out to be evil. Just like on the video it said couple stole ball from kid.... they did no such thing.
  • strawberry (>*~*)>... 2012/04/29 06:24:44
    strawberry
    +1
    His parents should have told their son, we can't have the ball because someone else caught the ball. Maybe you will catch one next time.
  • (>*~*)>... strawberry 2012/04/29 11:03:29
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    +2
    Yes.... I agree. It's obvious the couple didn't notice the kid in all the action. Not so hard to imagine. I've been to a pro baseball game.

2014/04/18 23:17:14