Should Sexist Sportswriter Be Fired?

SodaHead Sports 2012/05/03 19:00:00
There's always someone who seems to be making the "Are you serious?!" section of the news these days, specifically in sports. Only this time around, it's not an athlete or coach saying something stupid. It's a person who's supposed to be covering sports in a fair, balanced, and professional manner: a sportswriter.

The Chicago Sun-Times' Joe Cowley has found himself in the news and the butt of jokes all across the blog-o-sphere. Deadspin and Awful Announcing both reported Cowley's offensively sexist tweets, which consisted of enlightening content about airline stewardesses who allegedly look like men, a note about how Cowley is truly "Mr. Handsome," and another tweet about how one fellow sportswriter should "hottie up" her Twitter profile picture. Seriously.

So what does Cowley do when the media (and the aforementioned female sportswriter) calls him out on his unprofessionalism? He deletes his Twitter account, without even issuing an apology. Ironically, the Chicago Tribune, the Sun-Times' rival newspaper, was the first to report Cowley has been put on final warning, meaning if he screws up again, he's fired. Too bad reports have now leaked that this isn't the first time Cowley's conduct has been less than upstanding. With all the young, hungry, and honest journalists out there looking for work, should a guy with such poor judgment like Joe Cowley really be spared his job?

joe cowley

• Adam Epistem... 2012/05/04 03:53:48
    Adam
    +1
    A server would be representing the restaurant at that current moment, would you still call for that server to be fired if she was rude while she was not working?

And yes it is censorship, it is censorship via coercion. You may not like what he said, but he did not say it in the capacity of "sports reporter" he said it as Joe Cowley.
  • Epistem... Adam 2012/05/04 03:57:25
    Epistemically Justified -- BN7
    +2
    A writer with a public twitter account, in my opinion, is always reflecting on his work. That's why I felt the analogy was apt.

Perhaps this is a strong argument for writers, authors, and other commentators to keep their personal twitters private.
  • Adam Epistem... 2012/05/04 04:12:29
    Adam
    +1
    As I stated above, a private twitter doesn't guarantee privacy. Any authorized follower can retweet anything you post publicly. So where is the line drawn?

So his personal account wasn't "personal" enough, what if it was private and his comments were retweeted? Does that make it personal enough?

He is a sports writer, not an airline critic... Nothing he said fell into the purview of his employed function. Why should it reflect on his work? It may reflect on him as a person but not as a sports writer.
  • Inquisi... Adam 2012/05/04 05:26:34
    Inquisitve Kat
    +1
    If he had a private account and someone retweeted his tweets publicly, that would be a different story... it's not the same as having it wide open.
  • Adam Inquisi... 2012/05/04 11:27:34
    Adam
    He still would have said it.

So, you are saying that his personal account wasn't "personal" enough. Ridiculous! If its not his words that offend you, merely the forum in which he says them, then maybe you should just stay off the internet.
  • Inquisi... Adam 2012/05/04 17:48:43
    Inquisitve Kat
    Yes, he still would have said it, but if his account was private it shows he took measures to keep things between him and his friends... at a personal level rather than a public level.
  • Inquisi... Gasbagmike 2012/05/03 22:55:41 (edited)
    Inquisitve Kat
    +2
    He's free to say what he wants and they're free to hire and fire whom they choose.
    Enlighten me... explain "freedom of speech", since I'm not sure you quite understand the entire idea.
  • Gasbagmike Inquisi... 2012/05/03 23:47:19
    Gasbagmike
    +2
    Ok, I see what your saying and i agree with you... Your right, the company has the right to fire him, but personally, if i was in charge of the company, i wouldnt fire him.
  • Gregaj7 2012/05/03 21:18:40
    +1
    Two warnings, then termination of employment.
  • Dave The Canuck 2012/05/03 20:52:22
    Dave The Canuck
    +2
    Wasn't even being sexist.
  • Arianne 2012/05/03 20:44:31
    Arianne
    +5
    Professionalism should be expected from a journalist.
  • smitty 2012/05/03 20:31:44
    smitty
    +1
    What was he having sex with?
  • LdyLeo smitty 2012/05/04 03:08:48
    LdyLeo
    His mother.
  • smitty LdyLeo 2012/05/04 13:02:21
    smitty
    Dang liberals.. they got to stop that.
  • Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2012/05/03 15:03:17
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    +2
    People need to stop taking tweets so seriously.
  • ellie Philo® ... 2012/05/03 22:50:49 (edited)
    ellie
    Idiot. What people say and tweet affects people. We can't all be like you and not take comments to heart. Ever heard of cyber bullying? Yeah, that drives people to suicide. So next time you post a stupid comment like this, think of all the people who DID take horrible comments seriously and committed suicide. It's a serious issue and you should be the one who takes their feelings seriously, not just blow it off.
  • Michael... ellie 2012/05/03 23:39:09
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
    +2
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa... f.king crybaby ;)
  • ellie Michael... 2012/05/04 01:25:39
    ellie
    +1
    . . . Most immature thing I've heard in a while. You really expect me to take that seriously?
  • Michael... ellie 2012/05/04 01:40:55
    Michael=Constitution & Liberty
    +2
    i really could care less how ya take it :) f.king crybaby ;)
  • ellie Michael... 2012/05/04 02:01:50 (edited)
    ellie
    Please enlighten me as to why you think I'm a f.cking crybaby. Really, I would like to know how caring about a big issue in today's society makes me a f.cking crybaby. You really are being a great role model for your children. If they ever come to you asking what to do about cyberbullying . . . I'm sure you'll tell them the same thing. "Don't be a f.cking crybaby, kids." Great Dad you are:D
  • Philo® ... ellie 2012/05/04 11:43:40
    Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩
    ROFLMAO! You cannot possibly imagine how little your opinion matters to me. And thanks for proving my point, BTW.
  • ellie Philo® ... 2012/05/05 23:54:47
    ellie
    I feel bad for your children, if you have any.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2012/05/03 14:27:31
  • wwe.sod... Chris -... 2012/05/04 06:41:05 (edited)
    wwe.sodahead.com/RPG2011
    +1
    Blown way out of apportion. I'm sick of the fact we have freedom of speech but aren't allowed to exercise it.
  • Chris -... wwe.sod... 2012/05/04 10:14:04

2014/04/23 09:45:16