Should Jose Reyes have sat down to win batting title?

ProudProgressive 2011/09/29 13:00:57
I'm fine with it.  Reyes won fair and square
It sucks.  Reyes should have played the whole game.
Jose Reyes won the National League batting title this season. In his last game, Reyes led off the first inning with a bunt single, raising his batting average to .337. Then he immediately left the game, to the disappointment of a crowd that had turned out largely to see Reyes, who becomes a free agent and may have played his last game in a Mets uniform. His actions (which apparently were by his own choice) stand in stark contrast to Ted Williams, who in 1941 faced a season ending double header with a batting average of .3998 but who insisted on playing both games, went 6 for 8, and wound up batting .406, the last man to break .400. Reyes could learn a lot about baseball by studying Ted Williams.

By Reid Cherner, USA TODAY
Sep 29, 2011

New York Mets' Jose Reyes reacts after bunting for a single during the first inning of a baseball game against the Cincinnati Reds on Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2011, at Citi Field in New York. Reyes, the NL batting leader, was lifted for a pinch-runner after his first at-bat in the Mets' final game of the season.

Was that the right thing to do?

The shortstop started his day with a bunt single and then was removed from the game so he could become the first New York Met to win a batting title.

BATTING TITLE: Reyes takes early exit to win

Reyes left with a .337 average forcing Ryan Braun of the Brewers needing to go 3-for-4. He was 0-for-4 and finished at .332.

"It was kind of tough," Reyes said. "I want to stay in the game. They have to understand, too, what's going on. They have to feel happy about it if I win the battling title."

Braun said "I'm not going to judge him...he left the door open for me."

But others felt that Reyes should have played the string out and either won or lost the batting title.

Tweeted Jerry Seinfeld: How in the world does nobody in Mets Clubhouse see Reyes choice was so, so terrible? Anybody in PR anywhere around there?! Unbelievable!

What say you?

Read More: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/pos...

• Giantsfan 2011/09/30 18:22:32
    I'm fine with it. Reyes won fair and square
    Giantsfan
    +1
    It was his choice. He played all year and came through with a 337 average. If someone was better they needed to hit better. They didn't. Good for Ted Willians. He did it his way and Reyes did it his way. Everyone's different.
  • Bronar 2011/09/30 17:06:16
    Bronar
    I'd respect him more if he had played the whole game, but it doesn't really bother me. (Most of) These guys are all about themselves anyhow.
  • Jimbo 2011/09/29 14:05:21
    Jimbo
    +1
    He's no George Brett.
  • ProudPr... Jimbo 2011/09/29 14:36:44
    ProudProgressive
    This is a different era, unfortunately.

george brett pine tar

2014/12/20 23:45:52