Should Johnny Manziel Have Won the Heisman Trophy?

Sports 2012/12/09 21:10:16
On Saturday night, Texas A&M; quarterback Johnny Manziel (aka Johnny Football) made history. Manziel became the first freshman in college football history to win the prestigious Heisman Trophy. Manziel passed for 3,419 yards and threw 24 touchdown passes. He also rushed for 1,181 yards and 19 rushing touchdowns, setting a total offense record in the historically tough Southeastern Conference (SEC).

The Texas A&M; Aggies led by first-year coach Kevin Sumlin and Manziel, put together an impressive 10-2 in their SEC debut. Manziel beat out two seniors to win the Heisman Trophy--Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o and Kansas State quarterback Colin Klein. Manziel is also the second Texan to win the Heisman in consecutive years. The other being current Washington Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III.

However, there is some controversy with Manziel winning. Some believe the award should have gone to one of the seniors, particularly Te'o, who had a standout season as a defensive player, not to mention the fact that players in his position are rarely up for Heisman consideration. He would have been only the second defensive player in history to win the award. But Manziel took the Heisman Trophy home and if he continues to play like he did as a freshman over the next couple years, he better make room on his mantle.

Read More: http://dallasmorningviewsblog.dallasnews.com/2012/...

• Steve 2012/12/10 05:56:38
    Steve
    +9
    I have nothing agianst a freshman winning it, but the best player in football was Manti Teo.

• EmoMcParland 2012/12/24 01:43:22
    EmoMcParland
    Sure why not
  • Phil123 2012/12/18 22:36:05
    Phil123
    he was good enough to get it
  • joe mauro 2012/12/17 03:24:44
    joe mauro
    he deserves it
  • MGySgt0291 2012/12/16 19:19:45
    MGySgt0291
    Than man was arrested this season and charged with three different charges (should have been a fourth for underage drinking as police report said he was drunk). Teo was nothing but short of spectacular on the field and off. But this is society today in America; look the other way and hold no one accountable for breaking the law. Nope give them the Heisman instead,
  • Himko54 2012/12/16 15:01:09
    Himko54
    Manti should've won...
  • Nightmare 2012/12/16 01:23:52
    Nightmare
    +1
    First freshman ever with 3000+ passing yards and 1000+ rushing yards? Yeah I think he deserves it. Especially since Collin Klein is possibly one of the most overrated players I have ever seen. And Manti Te'o was good this year, but not a record setter as a freshman. I would have preferred either Marcus Marriota or Kenjon Barner but that is only because they play for my beloved Oregon Ducks
  • RawRsaurus Nightmare 2012/12/18 03:48:05
    RawRsaurus
    Chip to KC Chiefs plz. Thank you.
  • Rocki 2012/12/15 16:22:16
    Rocki
    After what Teo went through this year and being the leader of an undefeated team he should have won the Heisman. Manziel kept his team from a chance at a National Championship by throwing 3 interceptions against LSU. If this is the way they are going to do it there should be 2 Heisman trophies one for offense and one for defense. Teo was robbed!
  • Metal Man 2012/12/13 20:23:48
  • jacktown kid 2012/12/13 16:00:43
    jacktown kid
    +1
    Absolutely yes he deserve it
  • TimothyBrianFoley 2012/12/11 22:52:29
    TimothyBrianFoley
    mani te'o of norte dame would have been better the kind of year he has had number one in the ap polls how can they not make him a winner
  • Annita 2012/12/11 15:34:44
  • El Prez 2012/12/11 15:34:20
    El Prez
    +1
    He got the most votes, so yes!
  • Wahvlvke 2012/12/11 14:05:27
    Wahvlvke
    He was definately the most outstanding player.
  • happyman 2012/12/11 06:14:55
    happyman
    +1
    Manti......
  • Kyle Funderburk 2012/12/11 04:47:08
    Kyle Funderburk
    Yes, he was the most outstanding player in college football.
  • DISCO 2012/12/11 01:16:29
    DISCO
    +2
    Yes Johnny Football Manziel did put up impressive statistics as a Freshman QB. But a QB has that opportunity to put up impressive numbers.Is the Heisman Trophy all about numbers are what the player represents on the field for college football? The Heisman should have went to Te'o due to his dedication from his junior to senior year where he lost weight and picked up speed for Notre Dame to become a better defense. Then look at the adversity he went throught losing his grandmother and girlfrend. I have lost loved ones in my life journey and no how hard it is to come back to work. His stats are not that impressive but he plays defense and defensive players dont put up big numbers. Even though he did not put up big numbers like Johnny Football, he did show America his heart. For a football player of his size he showed you that he had the heart of Rudy and that he really did love Notre Dame and what Notre Dame is all about. If Johnny Football is really the Hiesman winner he should win again. I think the voters are wrong on this one. Johnny Football will have another chance to win that Trophy but Teo will not. Just hope the Heisman jinx does not affect Manziel. Usually Hiesman winners never become much of a NFL player. Maybe its good that Teo did not win so he can have a geat career in the NFL and be inducted into the Hall Of Fame. One final thought its better to win a championship for a team than to win self proclaimng trophy. Manti Teo
  • Georgia50 2012/12/11 00:51:48
    Georgia50
    +2
    Seldom does the winner have all the cards in his favor. I'm ok with Manziel taking the win, but I also don't think his win takes anything from the others.

Thumbs up from a Buckeye.
  • Jack the Dude 2012/12/11 00:38:13
    Jack the Dude
    +2
    It was either going to be Manti Te'o or Manziel
  • ChristianOnly 2012/12/10 23:24:28
    ChristianOnly
    +2
    If I had a vote he would have received it. He was in my opinion the most deserving of all three finalists.
  • Watermu... Christi... 2012/12/14 00:23:29
    Watermusicranger
    +1
    This is what bothered me about Manziel. Manziel was arrested last summer for getting into a fight with a 47-year old man and carrying multiple false IDs.
  • Christi... Watermu... 2012/12/28 06:27:06
    ChristianOnly
    +1
    Sorry it took so long to reply. I was not aware of that. I was just looking at what he meant to his team and to college football in general.
  • GAC 2012/12/10 22:51:54
    GAC
    +1
    Should have given it to Manti T'eo. (I confess that I'm saying that simply because I'm a fan of Notre Dame)
  • MWD#1 2012/12/10 21:05:13
    MWD#1
    +1
    Sorry, Te'o was what college football should be about, a great player, leader. all American, and Academic All American. Will graduate early. Everything that you would want in a Heisman trophy winner. Heisman showed their true colors, to them it is about gaudy offensive numbers. It should be an offensive awaard only.
  • Kyle Fu... MWD#1 2012/12/11 04:52:54
    Kyle Funderburk
    +1
    It's disrespectful towards Manziel to say that. Yes Te'o is everything you said, but so is Johnny Manziel. He took a Texas A&M team that came into the year with a huge question mark going into the SEC and provided the spark they needed to not only compete but to beat Alabama. Yes he put up big numbers, but it's the way he did it the same way Tim Tebow and Cam Newton did (And I'm saying this as a Georgia fan). Manziel took over games, he earned the nickname "Johnny Football, and he earned the Heisman Trophy.
  • Tripple... Kyle Fu... 2012/12/13 18:27:35
    Tripple_Double
    +11
    its disrespectful to ACT like this wasnt a "what have you done for me lately" award.
    i never heard this kids name before the alabama game. as soon as CK loses a game he jumps up. this kid lost 2 games, ck lost 1. do the math. he put up numbers is a offense that allows that. he wasnt any more spectacular than anyone on the Oregon roster. this is a total sham. manti should have won it. but the voters were dedicated to break the freshman trend which is a total sham. he WAS NOT the best player.
  • Watermu... Kyle Fu... 2012/12/14 00:24:02
    Watermusicranger
  • Patriotic Gentleman 2012/12/10 19:11:24
    Patriotic Gentleman
    +2
    They don't call this kid "Johnny Football" for nothing. Anyone who saw him play this year that doesn't think he's the best football player in the NCAA is delusional.
    The man plays like he is possessed and is the most exciting quarterback since Michael Vick.
    What's controversial is how come Alabama gets to play for the BCS title when Johnny Manzeil's Texas A&M; already beat them earlier in the season?
    The BCS championship is meaningless.
  • kmay 2012/12/10 19:03:16
    kmay
    +1
    Teo deserved it.
  • Kyle Fu... kmay 2012/12/11 04:53:40
    Kyle Funderburk
    Te'o and Manziel both deserved it.
  • kevracer 2012/12/10 18:04:50
    kevracer
    +2
    HELL NO

hell no
  • Lanikai 2012/12/10 17:42:32
    +3
    Yes, it should go to the player who had the biggest impact for his team.
  • beernbugs 2012/12/10 16:59:20 (edited)
    beernbugs
    +2
    I think the other 2 were more deserving. Manziel is a freshman he'll have another chance to win. Collin Klein is just as good as Manziel and a senior. If it wasn't for the loss to Baylor, he would have won in a landslide. I don't think one loss should kill a Heisman. Also, look at what he did after 11/17. He is a truly great quarterback and deserved to win. I'm not saying this because I'm a K-State fan either. I went to CU (back when CU was good and they were in the Big 12). Manti Te'o was also more deserving than Manziel. He is also a senior, and there have only been 2 defensive players ever to win the Heisman, Charles Woodson in 97 and Ernie Davis in 61. I know that defensive players have their own award, but they should win the Heisman more often. Manziel was the least deserving.
  • Steve beernbugs 2012/12/10 19:29:28
    Steve
    +2
    Ernie Davis was a running back,
    Ernie Davis
    the express
  • beernbugs Steve 2012/12/10 19:50:10
    beernbugs
    +1
    Ernie Davis played both offense and defense. It was surely his offensive play they got him the Heisman. That only strengthens the argument for Te'o.
  • Steve beernbugs 2012/12/11 20:26:45 (edited)
    Steve
    Not according to the Syracuse website that shows only offensive and returning stats

http://www.suathletics.com/sp...
  • joe mauro Steve 2012/12/17 03:26:56
    joe mauro
    he played both ways but did not start on defense
  • Steve joe mauro 2012/12/21 00:47:12
    Steve
    I still don't see any proof...
  • joe mauro Steve 2012/12/21 01:33:19
    joe mauro
    at that time all starters went both ways like elton john or obama
  • OneLastWord 2012/12/10 15:50:27
    OneLastWord
    +1
    He is a freshman and looks like the best ever to play QB as a freshman.

2014/12/22 05:38:46