Should Jason Whitlock be fired for his Twitter comment about Jeremy Lin?

mm61675 2012/02/13 18:35:30

Fox Sports’ Jason Whitlock apologized for an insensitive-at-best, and racist-at-worst, tweet about Knicks guard Jeremy Lin, which Whitlock posted after Lin’s 38-point performance against the Lakers on Friday.

In a thinly-veiled reference to a stereotype about Asian men, Whitlock tweeted,

“Some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple of inches of pain tonight.”

nbsp lucky lady nyc gonna feel couple inches pain tonight

On Saturday, the Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) demanded an apology from Whitlock.

Later Saturday, Whitlock, wrote on FoxSports.com, “I've cried watching Tiger Woods win a major golf championship. Jeremy Lin, for now, is the Tiger Woods of the NBA. I suspect Lin makes Asian Americans feel the way I feel when I watch Tiger play golf.

“I should've realized that Friday night when I watched Lin torch the Lakers. For Asian Americans and a lot of sports fans, his nationally televised 38-point outburst was the equivalent of Tiger's first victory in The Masters. I got caught up in the excitement. I tweeted about what a great story Lin is and how he could rival Tim Tebow.

“I then gave in to another part of my personality — my immature, sophomoric, comedic nature.”

Read More: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-02-12/j...

• russell.coleman.716 2012/12/05 05:27:11
    russell.coleman.716
    He was'nt fired for this sick statement. Let us FF 9 month's. He should be fired after calling the N.R.A. the new K.K.K. another bigoted racist comment from Jason Whitlock that will be swept under the rug in the leftist world of mass media, because he is African American and he can't possibly be racist or bigoted. Whitlock it is lucky you are on the affirmative action journalist program or you would have been S#!T canned atleast 4 times in the last 3
  • johnny 2012/02/14 07:55:04
    johnny
    +1
    Yes he should be fired. If he were a white man saying things that could be even remotely construed as racist towards black people or hispanics you'd hear from everyone including the NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and probably all the way up to the Presidency(yes, the presidency or did you forget when white cops were giving Obama's friend a hard time he called them "stupid")on top of that, WHITE PEOPLE would be calling for this guys head so for whiten to get a pass is absolute garbage, fire the bum already.
  • Bronar 2012/02/13 21:19:58
    Bronar
    No, he should apologize. Sounds like he did already. Should Al Sharpton be fired for burning the white interlopers in Harlem? He never apologized.
  • Christina B 2012/02/13 20:10:24
    Christina B
    What a jerk, maybe not fired but he should apologize.
  • v i o l e t 2012/02/13 19:36:10
    v i o l e t
    I go with a suspension or a reprimand also. We all end up saying something stupid. But if he told that to other person's face I may go with a firing.

He cried over watching Tiger Woods play? Same equivalent when people defend themselves to say they are not racist by saying I have friends who are so and so.. So what.
  • jimih67 2012/02/13 19:03:24
    jimih67
    I don't believe in firing somebody over a mistake, but he should be reprimanded and maybe suspended. I think that comment is in poor taste regardless of the guy's race. And I would be willing to bet he will be fired over it. I think it is probably just as offensive to women as it is to Asians.
  • v i o l... jimih67 2012/02/13 19:30:20 (edited)
    v i o l e t
    +1
    You're right some women may be offended or find it in bad taste for him to say that regardless what race they are. Crude.

2014/10/31 20:08:48