Should Films With Smoking Be Rated R?

Smoking cigarettes is not good for you. It is safe to say many people realize that whether they smoke or not. In states such as New York, it has become harder for people to smoke in public places due to various restrictions. And now, the authors of a study that will appear in the August issue of the journal Pediatrics want to extend restrictions against smoking to the world of cinema.

According to the study, children who watch famous actors smoke in films are significantly more likely to try cigarettes down the road. As such, the suggestion bounced around was that films with cigarette smoking should be rated R. (Currently most are PG-13.) The authors of the study predict that making this change would reduce the proportion of children under 17 who try cigarettes by 18%.

"The movie industry [should] treat smoking like it treats profanity and sex and violence," said the study’s lead author Dr. James D. Sargent, a cancer-prevention specialist and professor of pediatrics at Dartmouth Medical School. "If saying the 'F' word twice gets you an R rating, certainly something as important as smoking should get you an R rating."

Tobacco can lead to health problems, as can the other chemicals found in cigarettes. If you smoke, especially for a long time, you are at great risk for emphysema, lung cancer, among other terrible illnesses. That being said, smoking cigarettes and smoking in general, is a personal choice people make themselves. Millions of Americans choose not to smoke. Millions of others do smoke for reasons specific to them. Whether you think smoking is good or bad, people are still going to make their own personal choices on the matter and there's nothing that can change that--even film ratings.

What do you think SodaHeads? Should films with smoking be rated R?

Read More: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/10/health/smoking-trigg...

• jrci1 2012/07/15 20:45:09
    jrci1
    +12
    Im really getting tired of people telling me what to like and what not to like man let me decide for my self
    free speech

free speech

free speech

• Laura 2012/10/09 19:24:19
    Laura
    hahaa goddd you'd have almost no films non rated R xD rated R should be - heavy themes, graphic sex or graphic violence.
  • Leon Morgan 2012/08/13 13:24:25
    Leon Morgan
    +2
    all thats going on in the world today and people worrie about crap like this???? PLEASE
  • Ciarog 2012/08/04 06:00:59
    Ciarog
    +1
    No. If you smoke, you're doing society a favor by saving money.

We should be aiming an 85% smoker rate. The children could learn to inhale the smooth and rich smoke that they get from Lucky Strikes from a young age.
  • chris. 2012/08/02 01:08:52
    chris.
    +1
    lots of things happen in movies that you dont want young ppl trying at home. you cant single out smoking.
  • twhiting9275 2012/08/01 16:59:41
    twhiting9275
    +1
    I wouldn't take any law NY passed seriously. I mean come on, banning extra large drinks?
  • Michael S. 2012/08/01 08:43:37
    Michael S.
    +2
    That's not to say that a movie that glorifies bad habits should get a G-rating, but movie ratings are all about context, and a mandatory R-rating totally disrespects that (even if it's imposed by the MPAA rather than some authoritarian government).
  • Courtney Hammett 2012/07/31 22:23:24
    Courtney Hammett
    +2
    Should people smoking outside be shielded from children?
  • EmpathyReigns 2012/07/31 01:51:41
    EmpathyReigns
    +1
    People need to be responsible for themselves....(action)
  • Kingarthurup 2012/07/30 18:13:59
    Kingarthurup
    +1
    only in NY... smoking is legal still in most places.
  • overlord rai 2012/07/30 03:01:41
    overlord rai
    +1
    101 dalmatians should be rated r?

101 dalmatians rated
  • Navin J... overlor... 2012/08/07 11:54:45
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +1
    of course not
  • FineCut69 2012/07/30 00:27:40
    FineCut69
    +4
    Should we hide our kids in a box until they are 25? It makes no sense to shelter our kids... They will go crazy if we do... Just talk to your kids and have an open relationship so they can talk to you...
  • the Supreme 2012/07/29 03:58:13
    the Supreme
    +1
    there has to be more to them than smoking like violence or grossness
  • nbarton2 2012/07/29 02:04:06
    nbarton2
    +1
    Look they want to make a movie with cigarettes R rated but then they will keep a movie with drugs in it PG-13 so that is kind of ridiculous in my opinion. Wonder if this study took into account if these children had parents who smoked as well, there are so many mitigating factors in the reason kids choose to smoke that I'm sure that movies have little impact on them choosing to smoke in real life. Why do parents never factor in to decisions?
  • Mid Lo 2012/07/28 05:10:12
    Mid Lo
    +1
    "...study predict that making this change would reduce the proportion of children under 17 who try cigarettes by 18%." (Dr. James D. Sargent, a cancer-prevention specialist)
    Are these the same people that predicted an increase in the tax would lower smoking, which it did not. I say don't smoke, now I'm a cancer prevention specialist. Don't look directly at the sun, now I'm also a solar blindness prevention specialist.
  • nbarton2 Mid Lo 2012/07/29 02:05:20
    nbarton2
    +1
    Wonder if these are the same people that do Gun studies.
  • Elizabeth 2012/07/26 08:48:06
    Elizabeth
    I MEANT NO!!!!!!
  • Navin Johnson (The Jerk) 2012/07/25 00:16:38
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +1
    my god no! that's the stupidest thing i ever heard!
  • Navin J... Navin J... 2012/07/25 00:22:47
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    looks like most disagree,do some ppl want popeye and i love lucy pulled off TV now too? and rate some of the disney movies R?
  • Navin J... Navin J... 2012/07/25 00:24:37
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    and i'm wondering about the the lobo movie coming out,will he have a cigar?
  • TheVynne 2012/07/24 04:10:52
    TheVynne
    +2
    Are we planning on censoring people smoking on the street as well?
  • Navin J... TheVynne 2012/07/25 00:17:09
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    pprobably will eventually
  • TheVynne Navin J... 2012/07/25 00:23:16
    TheVynne
    +1
    I probably shouldn't tempt them with the idea.
  • ChumptyDumpty 2012/07/23 11:16:31
    ChumptyDumpty
    +1
    AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.
    And how do you rate 'Porn: A Family Business'? :'D
  • Radiose 2012/07/20 06:20:44
    Radiose
    +1
    So..stop youth from watching an otherwise acceptable movie because of something we see every day and everywhere in the real world?
    I can understand rating a movie R for nudity and excessive language but in the real world, nobody is walking around with their tits out or naked shouting profanities.
    Smoking is everywhere in the real world and uprating a movie for something so very common is futile and just excessive.
    If people really want to help keep kids from smoking, monitor who they are with or around or where they're at in the real world.
    Stopping youth from seeing an otherwise okay movie isn't going to even scratch the surface of protecting our youth from drugs.
  • JonDeniro 2012/07/19 15:40:55
    JonDeniro
    +1
    The disturbing part is that there are 94 dimwits that think this is a good idea.
  • Katja 2012/07/18 20:39:14
    Katja
    I hate it,I am a smoker sometimes.
    As for the films,actors can play various roles,that require sometimes smoking...I don't think that ,couple of scenes with cigarette in his mouth, should mark the whole movie R rated.
    What about old cartoons where an old person,grandpa,or whoever,is smoking a pipe...or,for that matter,there are movies for kids in which grandparents usually sit in front of fireplace,rounded with cloud of cigarette smoke,and telling their grandsons a goodnight story? no,these kind of movies won't get a bad message to kids. violence in cartoons is more questionable...
  • shenendoah 2012/07/18 16:03:28
    shenendoah
    No. How hypocritical would that be. Seems the ratings are pretty lax for worse things. I agree we are a 'monkey see, monkey do' nation but give some of us a little credit. I used to smoke but I didn't start the habit because I thought it looked cool.
  • Marti 2012/07/18 15:47:12
    Marti
    +1
    Smoking should be banned from TV and movies. So should alcohol. Neither is cool, and it is terrible for young people to watch and emulate.
  • shenendoah Marti 2012/07/18 16:07:26
    shenendoah
    +1
    So should the redundant use of that 4 letter word. You don't see them slowing down on that and everytme I hear it, is like someone running their nails down a blackbaord.
  • Marti shenendoah 2012/07/18 16:28:35 (edited)
    Marti
    Since I was a theater major ... I found that the use of language was more important than to smoke on stage. A character's demeanor is made by the language they use. When I was a kid, smoking was cool. I smoked for 20 years ... quit 27 years ago. Don't like to see it, and I hate that my kids smoke ... but they never saw me smoking. They got it from TV and the movies. They all say that four letter word you are talking about, but so does every crazy driver on the road ... and I bet you have too during desperation!! Personally, I don't like to hear it either ... but there is free speach!! The government keeps raising taxes on cigs. and cities are laying down "No smoking" laws. The industry should be doing the same. A four letter word is not going to kill you.
  • shenendoah Marti 2012/07/18 17:26:58
    shenendoah
    No, but if you hear it enough it might get the person using it killed. TIC I do not use the word, have never used it. That's not to say I don't curse and use words that are inappropriate. However, I do have a larger vocabulary so I don't have to use the same word multiple times in a sentence. The overuse of that word makes the user sound totally ignorant.
  • nbarton2 Marti 2012/07/29 02:22:42
    nbarton2
    Your children learned to smoke from TV and Movies and not from peers or relatives? This study smacks of desperation on the part of the smoking ban people of which I agree that smoking should be banned in certain places but in Movies and TV not so much.
  • ComaAlp... nbarton2 2012/09/24 14:25:02
    ComaAlpha15
    And I love ho most of the people who voted to ban smoking in bars, DON'T EVEN GO TO BARS! I mean, I drink, I smoke. They just go hand in hand. All that did is make the bars spend money to build decks onto the side of their buildings.
  • nbarton2 ComaAlp... 2012/09/24 19:49:21
    nbarton2
    exactly
  • Navin J... Marti 2012/07/25 00:45:49
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    so no more popeye? he has a pipe
  • Michael S. Marti 2012/08/01 08:51:57 (edited)
    Michael S.
    What about movies like Requiem for a Dream, which are specifically created as powerful arguments against substance abuse? (Nevermind the First Amendment, sheesh.)
  • Navin J... Marti 2012/08/07 11:56:11
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    so pull i love lucy off the air? c'mon now!
  • Navin J... Marti 2012/08/20 02:56:46
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    people don't smoke because they see it on TV and the movies,they do it because their relatives and frinds do it
  • Navin J... Marti 2012/08/20 03:18:50
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    i know,why should it stop at movies? pull certain comic books off the shelves pffftt

2014/10/22 12:20:30