Should federal marijuana laws be loosened?

L.A. Times 2012/12/15 05:56:36
Related Topics: Marijuana
President Obama and a key Senate Democrat said Friday they were willing to consider relaxing federal enforcement of the laws against marijuana for those who possess small amounts of the drug.

They were reacting to new voter-approved laws in Washington and Colorado that permit recreational users to have an ounce of marijuana at home. In addition, California and 17 other states allow the medical use of marijuana.

Despite this state-by-state move toward limited legalization, federal law still classifies marijuana as a highly dangerous drug and makes it a crime to sell or possess even tiny amounts.

legalization

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-...

• himhymn666 2013/01/06 09:07:42
  • Ned 2012/12/26 20:13:42
    Ned
    +11
    I think it should be up to the state, not the entire country
  • ron 2012/12/26 18:27:37
    ron
    +1
    Of course.Right now you have all these illegal drug organizations involved funding them mainly from marijuana. That alone should be enough but of course it won't make any difference.
  • C-Breez 2012/12/26 18:26:01
    C-Breez
    +1
    yes they should
  • TombstoneJim 2012/12/26 17:21:37
    TombstoneJim
    It is a state matter. Just like distilled spirits. Handle it as each state desires. The pot heads can live where they will, the alcoholics where they desire - and the rest of us can work to support their idiocy.

Jim Beam = Alcapulco Gold.....simple equation, treat them the same.
  • Goober ... Tombsto... 2013/01/06 04:27:35
  • Tombsto... Goober ... 2013/01/07 18:58:59
    TombstoneJim
    +2
    969 people died in Tennessee in automobile accidents last year, many families will never be the same......alcohol is the only gateway drug to alcoholism - more domestic violence cases and automobile fatalities involve alcohol that any other substance.......marijuana is not, in a medical sense, addictive - it is not heroin, nor meth, nor ecstasy, nor any other of opium’s many packaging forms…..cooking marijuana? Never heard of such……not that I have great experience in the drug seen since 1969-70 in Vietnam, but never read or heard of such…..

I am sorry you lost your brother. It is not a reason to have thousands sent to jail for possession of pot, any more that possessing a fifth of Jim Beam makes you a danger to society - it’s the inappropriate consumption and public presence that causes the issues that government should be involved in. We tried Prohibition and it gave us the Mafia and The Untouchables - we have been in a Drug War since 1966 or so and how much money and how many lives has this futile effort to control peoples behavior cost, and for what? The amount of drugs seized goes up every year, which means that the amount that gets through increases since even DEA says they “interdict” 10-20% of the total…..

We need to get real on how much of other people’s money we w...

We need to get real on how much of other people’s money we will spend annually to keep people from gaining access to drugs, or should we spend a lesser amount on treatment and education? The same goes for prostitution, legalize it, tax it and zone it…….you cannot legislate morality, and we have become an immoral people….My father taught me that I was responsible for my choices and the outcomes….the laws should be limited to preventing me from hurting another person in society, not trying to teach me what is right and wrong – that train left long ago with an adult….as long as there have been opium dens, there have been opium addicted people, heroin is the same - no amount of law enforcement will stop the addicts from getting drugs….my son is a cop, they break up 10-12 meth labs a month, and next month they break up 10-12 different ones, and the next month……as long as there is a market, there will be a supplier…you cannot eliminate those willing to accept great risk for even greater financial gain, take away the astronomical financial rewards (aka repeal prohibition) and the vast majority of people will stop their illegal behavior (still have some moonshine stills – but it’s a fraction of the illegal traffic of the Prohibition period).

Your brother, God rest his soul, made choices that cost him his life. We should not think that we could make what he was doing “more illegal” and stop his choices, we needed to reach him with something that he wanted more than getting high….whatever that was….but we cannot afford to continue to make criminals out of the occasional pot user, any more than we could the occasional two martini after work folks….
  • Olde' S... Tombsto... 2013/02/15 02:39:46
    Olde' Smoke
    very well said.
  • Derbyhat 2012/12/26 16:58:36
    Derbyhat
    Unfortunately, too many here are looking at the slim evidence for medical benefits and not thinking through the downsides of proliferation throughout their families and communities. Consequences and marijuana is your cure all?
  • unaff 2012/12/26 15:45:15
    unaff
    +1
    Loosened is not going far enough.
  • whateverbabynevermind 2012/12/26 14:43:02
  • daredevil 2012/12/26 13:46:53
    daredevil
    We lost the war on pot and the Mexicans are making all the money. I prefer smoking bars for pot and federal taxes on pot. Why should all the bad guys make the money. I rather have the Fed run pot sales then the animals ruining Mexico and America with illegal pot from Mexico. Man just look at that US marine in jailed in Mexico. They hate us gringos in USA. Lets take the money back that belongs to the USA and help our fellow American with the pot tax money. This is tax with representation that most Americans want, give the people what they want. Just like BEER people want there WEED !
  • Goober ... daredevil 2013/01/06 04:28:17
  • Olde' S... Goober ... 2013/02/15 02:42:04
    Olde' Smoke
    there has never been one reported overdose case of death from smoking trees
  • Goober ... Olde' S... 2013/02/25 04:06:53
  • Olde' S... Goober ... 2013/02/25 21:01:28
    Olde' Smoke
    I guess you got me there
  • Matt Covill 2012/12/26 13:31:22
    Matt Covill
    +1
    Any civilised country which outlaws a plant out of fear and has taken such a rediculois period to even begin to reverse these laws needs to seriously a address the motives behind any drug prohibition legislation
  • Dan 2012/12/26 11:04:34
    Dan
    +2
    I do not smoke it. But when I see videos of SWAT Teams going into a mans house and shooting his Dog over one freakin Joint. Then I think it should be legalized.

Also it will go a long way into putting Drug Cartels out of Buissiness.
  • Grammar Freak 2012/12/26 10:09:48
    Grammar Freak
    +2
    Kill the criminal aspect of possession & use.
    Kill the profit aspect of sales.
    Kill the stigma & fear about it.
    Kill the war on drugs... because it kills far more people than drugs.
    Kill the entire DARE program... police/government propaganda to coax children into reporting their family members.
  • LaLa 2012/12/26 05:12:02
    LaLa
    +1
    Since most of us smoke it, probably.
  • perry oxide 2012/12/26 05:00:58
    perry oxide
    +1
    I could have just as easily voted no, really, because I think *all* drug laws ought to be completely eliminated, especially on yhe federal level. It bugs me to hear this namby pamby focus on marijuana as the substance most deserving of legalization, which leads to the next phrase — "not like [fill in blank with devil drug of the day].
  • Singerar 2012/12/26 04:03:03
    Singerar
    +2
    It's an Herb with natural healing properties.

Alcohol is far more dangerous when consumed improperly. Liver damage being one of the worse, or alcohol poisoning.
  • Ramón 2012/12/26 02:22:57
    Ramón
    And I know I am going to piss off stoners or their supporters... but MJ causes genetic damage. Even medical MJ does. Now hemp, without the cannabinoids should be legalized. Lots of good from hemp: rope, hemp milk, protein, etc.
  • Singerar Ramón 2012/12/26 03:58:19
    Singerar
    +3
    Newsflash: MJ is MJ, whether medical or not. Also, there have been NO proven medical studies on pot causing Genetic disorders.

Alcohol however, can cause Birth defects if its consumed while pregnant as listed on all bottles.
  • Ramón Singerar 2013/01/01 01:55:27
    Ramón
    My ex drank like a fish before and during her pregnancy with our last boy. She was too busy having fun with a friend of mine and drinking to consider the consequences. He is now in his late 20's and in an adult living facility and will never be able to live on his own.
  • Singerar Ramón 2013/01/02 10:52:39
    Singerar
    +1
    Drank...Alcohol. The Alcohol did that, not Pot.
  • Ramón Singerar 2013/06/11 00:22:42
    Ramón
    Oops. You are so right. She was naturally stoned and didn't need pot to be stupid.
  • Olde' S... Ramón 2013/02/15 02:45:08
  • LaLa Ramón 2012/12/26 05:13:21
    LaLa
    +1
    You are retarded.
  • Ramón LaLa 2013/01/01 01:51:01
    Ramón
    Augh. Too much pot has made me retarded! Hold my hand LaLa as we march off into senility together. Pass the bong. Kum by yah, kum by yah....
  • Ramón LaLa 2013/06/11 00:23:09
    Ramón
    And you are ugly. I take Vyvanse for my problem, yours will need surgery.
  • Grammar... Ramón 2012/12/26 10:12:10
    Grammar Freak
    +2
    I don't believe I've ever heard of marijuana causing genetic damage. Where did you read that?
    Can you give some link or support for it.
    It completely contradicts everything I've ever read about marijuana.
  • Ramón Grammar... 2013/01/01 01:51:35
  • Singerar Ramón 2013/01/02 10:55:44
    Singerar
    +2
    That article is WEAK at best.
  • Grammar... Ramón 2013/01/02 12:01:58
    Grammar Freak
    +1
    Did you read the article? What the scientists said is that they're assuming that because people inhale deeper when smoking marijuana & a high number of people in the world mix marijuana with tobacco when they smoke it, they're damaging their DNA because they've proven that cigarette tobacco damages DNA. But they have not proven that marijuana on its own damages DNA, they're just assuming. They stated several times that marijuana has not been studied sufficiently.
  • Ramón Grammar... 2013/01/21 23:18:39 (edited)
    Ramón
    I read it, and in real science the data never proves anything, only suggests. Supporters of MJ are in the same position as supporters of cigarette smoking used to be claiming even that it was good for one's health. I don't care one way or the other, inhaling burning plant material is never good.
  • Grammar... Ramón 2013/01/21 23:23:16
    Grammar Freak
    Some people think that consuming flesh or milk products (as adults) is "never good." That doesn't mean that we criminalize it.
  • Ramón Grammar... 2013/01/22 00:58:40
    Ramón
    Legal substances are not on the menu. LOL.
  • Olde' S... Ramón 2013/02/15 02:47:03
    Olde' Smoke
    +1
    you can eat it and a safe way to smoke it is from a vaperizer
  • Ramón Olde' S... 2013/06/11 00:25:45
    Ramón
    Not sure what a vape is. I know what vapor is, it is the substance produced by a vaporizer.

2014/07/24 08:37:13