Should Barbara Walters have used the N-word?

Will Advocate of PHAET 2011/10/04 19:47:21

Oct. 3, 2011, 3:18 PM EST

E! News Now: "N-Word" Controversy On "The View" Co-host Sherri Shepherd gets upset after Barbara Walters repeats the racial slur on air. Hear why she took offense. Episode 1003 (1:33), Aired 10/3/11, Views 228799Network:

By Tim Molloy

Barbara Walters' use of the n-word during a discussion on "The View" on Monday about the offensively named hunting camp where Rick Perry entertained guests sparked a debate over who can and should use the word.

Whoopi Goldberg used the word first, to give the name of the lodge, "N-----head." (How long the camp was known by the name is in dispute.) Walters used it next, in the same manner as Goldberg, but Sherri Shepherd expressed discomfort with how she said it.

"I'm saying when you say the word, I don't like it," said Shepherd, who said she has used it among African-American family and friends. "When white people say it, it brings up feelings in me."

Walters had said her use of the word "gives me chills myself" and stressed that she was using it only to explain the story. Shepherd said that Walters was free to use the word if she wanted to, but that it made her uncomfortable.

"You can do anything you want, Barbara. You're Barbara Walters," she said.

Goldberg later said she pronounces the word differently from Walters because "I have a good time saying it 'cause I know I'm not supposed to." She said she didn't object to Walters using the word because Walters wasn't using it to insult anyone.

See video here: http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=673275&GT1;=28103

+9
    She used it in the same context as Goldberg, big deal, Shephard should get the hell over it.

• Razzy Ratchets 2011/10/09 16:21:45
    Razzy Ratchets
    +2
    Someone needs to take the power out of that word.
  • RC..I s... Razzy R... 2011/10/09 16:25:40
  • Razzy R... RC..I s... 2011/10/09 16:27:51
  • RC..I s... Razzy R... 2011/10/09 16:33:26
    RC..I stand for the TRUTH!
    +1
    Thanks. You knowz you be my HONK!
  • mewycg 2011/10/09 09:00:04
    mewycg
    Why is that hunting camp named that anyway?
  • Ramon 2011/10/08 11:56:45
    Ramon
    +1
    I think anyone using the word, including black people, is wrong. If the word's bad then it's bad for anyone to say it.

• HiYa 2011/10/07 17:06:10 (edited)
    HiYa
    Barbara Walters is disrespectful and insensitive to use that offensive slur in front of her black co-host. BW did that because she is the boss. That is mean and horrible! And put Sherri in an incredibly bad position.

An older person like Barbara knows what that word has meant historically in this nation, and she should know better.
  • Mrkando 2011/10/07 02:19:15 (edited)
    Mrkando
    +4
    Barbara used the word in the context of the discussion. She would never use it to slur and attempt to degrade anyone. It is a bit racist that Shephard would be offended by her using it but not Goldberg. Much ado about nothing.
  • chaoskitty123 2011/10/07 02:07:32
    chaoskitty123
    +3
    If black Americans can use the word then so can anyone. If it's a slur then when black people use the word you need to ask in what context because around 90% of the time when black people use the word towards their own people... it's meant exactly in the same way white racists would use it... as an insulting slur.

This whole idea that white people cannot use the word is ridiculous as the word wasn't just made up, it is how people with a strong accent said the word Negro and others hearing them say it wrote it as they heard it spoken. Many words are like that explaining why there can be multiple ways to spell it.

My last name has 24 ways it's spelled based on what nation and language being spoken. Over the centuries, people learning to write spelled words the way they sounded not realizing the people speaking the word or name were actually saying them with an accent and that the word has it's origins elsewhere. Some people trying to figure out where the word comes from for decades said it came from Nigeria... Nigeria didn't exist back then nor would the pronunciation be the same.

The very fact we discriminate against white people saying they can't say a word black people are allowed to say is itself racist because the only reason whites can't say it is what... the color of...

The very fact we discriminate against white people saying they can't say a word black people are allowed to say is itself racist because the only reason whites can't say it is what... the color of their skin! If whites aren't allowed to say it then no one should be allowed to say it.

It's like Latino's were saying when they tried to make it racist for whites to say Negro... it's only the word black spoken in Spanish and if it's racist for white people to use the word then Hispanics have been racists since before we even knew this damn continent existed.

So the racist here isn't Barbara Walters... the racist here is Sherri Shepherd as the only reason it sounded offensive to her was Barbara's skin color.
  • Clare Marie 2011/10/06 22:28:29
    Clare Marie
    +1
    I don't like it, but she has the right to.
  • Diana 2011/10/06 18:24:11
    Diana
    +3
    It's only O.k. when black people say it.They say it frequently.They even sing about it.That's how much they respect one another.
  • Zammo 2011/10/06 18:09:09
    Zammo
    +2
    The more people get upset about certain words, the more other people will use those words to egg them on. It's pretty simple.
  • Will Ad... Zammo 2011/10/06 18:15:59
    Will Advocate of  PHAET
    +2
    That's so true. They just perpetuate their own issue!
  • Brightsprite62 2011/10/06 17:55:07
    Brightsprite62
    +4
    So it's not a racial slur when a black person uses it but it is when a white person uses it?(rhetorical) How two faced is that. Why does it seam that prejudice only applies when it's a white person committing it? The only thing Ms. Shepard accomplished was to make herself look stupid.
  • noon 2011/10/06 17:49:37
    noon
    +2
    that is what they do, do I say not what I do they are beter that us common folk, lol
  • dlsofsetx 2011/10/06 17:39:32
    dlsofsetx
    +4
    It was used in context with the name the camp once had.I'm no fan of Baba Wawa,but she should have told Shepherd to kiss her ass.
  • Sofahead 2011/10/06 16:49:35
  • Kerymi 2011/10/06 16:24:33
    Kerymi
    +3
    She wasn't at all offensive about it. Her context was totally appropriate, and she wasn't referring to anyone.
  • alex 2011/10/06 16:08:01 (edited)
  • υяsυℓα  vεηgεαηcε ►нαя∂ cσяε sтяαιgнт ε∂gε◄
    +1
    It's just a word. As soon as people stop getting butthurt about it, it'll lose it's significance and die.
  • Max7 2011/10/06 15:56:06
    Max7
    +3
    Sometimes we just protest too much! That's a word that cannot be buried, they tried doing that, but it just keeps resurfing. Blacks use it frequently and towards each other, but get angry when they hear a White person use it. The word is a ugly word, and sounds ugly no matter who's mouth it falls out of.
  • Tony 2011/10/06 15:17:59
    Tony
    +2
    Shepard has issues then.
  • ☠Marz555☠ 2011/10/06 14:38:31
    +1
    To be afraid the that word is ridiculous. I say it anytime I want. I would here but that is the only word they will block!
  • James 2011/10/06 14:33:13
    James
    +2
    Nobody should usse it ever...No matter who they are
  • Ramon James 2011/10/08 11:59:25
    Ramon
    +1
    I agree
  • James Ramon 2011/10/08 12:07:36
    James
    +1
    no racial slurs should be used by anyone at any time
    thanks
  • Jack's Pearl 2011/10/06 14:30:36
  • Resp 2011/10/05 21:29:48
  • POODYLO... Resp 2011/10/06 23:27:12
  • EarlCollins 2011/10/05 11:36:18
    EarlCollins
    +3
    My thoughts on this subject are very clear. The "N" word should have gone into history like the "W" word used for individuals of Italian descent. The black community should not use the "N" word any more than the white community or the brown or red community. Racial slurs are racial slurs no matter what color of your skin. Stop the racial slurs of all races.
  • KoAm 2011/10/05 06:50:11
    KoAm
    +5
    I wish liberals like "The View ladies" would spend a little less time talking about "n-head," and a little MORE time talking about Solyndra or "Fast & Furious."
  • Katherine 2011/10/05 05:56:12 (edited)
    Katherine
    +3
    Liberals can say whatever they want. No offense is ever intended no matter what it is. How it can rile the hell out of people when one person says it, but not other person, sounds prejudice. I think the word should have ended long ago.
  • Resp 2011/10/05 03:29:15
    Resp
    +3
    Barbara Walters said the "N" word. Sherri Shepherd just nagged and nagged! Sherri Shepherd is sounding like a real nagger!
    +3
    She's a liberal, she can say anything she pleases.
  • Recruit 2011/10/05 01:13:50
  • realityjunkie 2011/10/05 00:32:23
    realityjunkie
    +4
    She was reading about a fact. She was not calling someone that. Yes she should have used it in that context. Shephard was not thinking. She also went on to say that Whoopi says it right but Barbara does not say it right.
  • The Logical Canadian 2011/10/04 23:15:46
    The Logical Canadian
    +2
    DOES ANY ONE CARE???
  • Autumn 2011/10/04 23:01:19 (edited)
    Autumn
    +7
    I don't get how a black person saying it is different then a white person saying it.We all make a big fuss over this, but why? Why is it acceptable for a black person to say it, but when a white person says it there is a huge controversy? Why bother making a big deal over "equal rights" if we white people can't say the same things as black people? In my opinion, nobody should be able to say it!
  • Devin P... Autumn 2011/10/05 00:01:45
    Devin Pederson
    +2
    Right on!

2014/09/18 17:44:20