Should animals have rights?

Reece 2012/05/13 21:17:04
I would like to know everyone's opinions on animal rights.
Should animals have rights? If so, why? Which rights should they have?
If not, why not?

Personally I don't believe in animal rights. I live in the UK and here we have animal welfare laws to prevent cruelty to animals. I don't believe in animal rights but I fully believe in animal welfare and if you do have to kill an animal, it should be done as humanely as possible. We have that in Britain.

Of course animals should be treated humanely. I don't consider that animal rights. I consider that common sense. If an animal has to be killed, do it as quickly and humanely as possible. If you have a pet, don't abuse it. Etc.

I think animal rights goes a bit too far.

So what does everyone else think?

• Somkey the Hores 2012/05/14 03:45:07
    Somkey the Hores
    They should not be abused, but they do NOT need rights.
  • ZERO 2012/05/14 03:41:38
    ZERO
    Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not ministe...

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

Matthew 25:34-46
  • a24 2012/05/13 23:09:11 (edited)
    a24
    maybe they shouldn't be called animal rights, but you do need a certain degree regulation as to how animals should be treated because not everyone has the common sense to know not to beat the animal with one of it's own appendages, especially considering how people don't always know how to treat other human's right hence why laws had to be made for that and one is expecting these same people to know how to treat a animal right ? there are number of levels of thinking pertaining to moral reasoning that a person can exhibit and not everyone will think on the same level of reasoning as everyone else, in fact many tend to think on the lower levels of moral reasoning meaning they determine ethics based on the presence of laws or regulations for or against a certain act so for those people if there is not a law against it and they want to do it they will. which sorry for the graphic example at the top but that kind of stuff does happen and much worse when there are not laws against it
  • Riobhca 2012/05/13 23:09:05
    Riobhca
    +2
    Yes. They should have the right not to be tortured by testing products on them. Lab animals obviously undergo terrible suffering: acids placed in their eyes, their skin burned, etc. The ends do NOT justify the means. There are many companies that produce safe products without testing them on animals. Animal testing is totally unnecessary and a blight on our society.

They also should have the right not to be raised in miserable conditions and to be abused by humans. Because a compassionate society will be compassionate towards all, humans and animals alike, bit especially towards those who cannot speak for themselves and cannot defend themselves. And furthermore, those who abuse animals are also more likely to abuse humans as well.
  • sockpuppet Riobhca 2012/05/13 23:27:25
    sockpuppet
    VERY well put! I'm with you all the way.
  • Brother Bo 2012/05/13 22:51:58 (edited)
    Brother Bo
    “I'm stymied to come up with anything funnier than people who think animals have rights. Just stick an arrow through their lungs.” Ted Nugent

animals have rights Nugent
  • sockpuppet 2012/05/13 22:14:48
    sockpuppet
    Not sure which rights are afforded in the UK, beyond the anti-cruelty legislation-- what, exactly, are we talking about?
  • jackie 2012/05/13 21:34:35 (edited)
    jackie
    The right to not be tortured.

But I do think PETA goes off the deep end by throwing red paint everywhere and bashing celebrities.

peta red paint celebrity

And trying to sell everything with sex:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/... peta red paint celebrity

And being naked: peta

They could use the energy to rescue animals. Search for street animals and then put money all in to give them to the vet for full care. Rehabilitate fight dogs, etc.
  • sockpuppet jackie 2012/05/13 22:19:19
    sockpuppet
    That's like continuing to bail out a sinking boat, rather than plugging the leak. The idea behind PETA's campaigns is to elevate the public's awareness. Most people don't even realize that the milk we buy in the store comes from cows. They've never even wondered. Animals are being brutalized on an enormous scale by many industries, and most people don't realize it. Most don't want to think about it. PETA stirs up those who are willing to stand up and try to stop this garbage.
  • jackie sockpuppet 2012/05/13 22:22:50
    jackie
    +2
    People actually stop really caring about their message and just focus on the outrageous way they send it.
  • sockpuppet jackie 2012/05/13 22:28:58
    sockpuppet
    ....but at least people will have seen the pictures of rabbits blinded by chemicals, baby seals clubbed to death, dogs brutalized in dogfights, etc. The images will remain in their minds, and a small percentage of the public will try to do something about it-- whether it's boycotting the industry or creating an animal-safe product to compete with it.
  • jackie sockpuppet 2012/05/13 22:51:10 (edited)
    jackie
    I never seen that. I just heard a few celebrities got red paint throw on them and a fat lady on the billboard. Saying they are fat because they eat meat, honestly when I heard that I said "forget them".
  • sockpuppet jackie 2012/05/13 23:23:42
    sockpuppet
    You should check out their website: http://www.peta.org/ They have all sorts of projects in the works-- much more to PETA than throwing paint around.
  • jackie sockpuppet 2012/05/13 23:44:26
    jackie
    +1
    One of the first things I read are "Animals are not our to eat". Im completely turned off. I think it is natural to eat animals, and if you have their hides left over, make clothes. I believe that animals should not be used for game, or poaching or JUST FOR their fur, I think every part of the animal should be utilized to its fullest. Even places like mcdonalds and burger king has animals I think they should be treat with as much respect and as much freedom that they can give (I hear burger king is now doing that).I also dont like these shots they put in them to make them fat, it should be all natural.
  • sockpuppet jackie 2012/05/13 23:57:11
    sockpuppet
    Well, you have a pretty good ethic, then. :O) It's a shame that so many people don't, though. We have bullfights, rodeos, circuses, shabby zoos, animals in Hollywood, whaling and exploitation all around us. People need to wake up, and the gentle approach isn't always effective.
  • jackie sockpuppet 2012/05/14 00:31:15
    jackie
    All the other stuff is crazy, but animals of Hollywood? I always thought the ones that played in movies are owned by good people..

If thats the case then I seen parents do this to their own children. A long time ago (I forgot the name of the show) but they made a fake acting studio or place. They told those parents in order for their child to be in the movie they have to do something ridiculous to them. like losing weight in a short amount of time even tho the kid is already skinny. And some other things that were abuse and their parents agreed. Why do people do it? Its ALL about money. Its sad. Some people want to pretend like everything is ok, others would go "it has nothing to do with me".
  • sockpuppet jackie 2012/05/14 04:00:20
    sockpuppet
    Plus, look at how many child actors end up with drug habits and eventually commit suicide. If I had children, I sure wouldn't wish that on them!

As for the animals, again-- a PETA pointer:

http://www.peta.org/issues/an...
  • Somkey ... sockpuppet 2012/05/14 03:47:15
    Somkey the Hores
    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
  • Somkey ... sockpuppet 2012/05/14 03:46:35
    Somkey the Hores
    YOU volunteer for testing.
  • sockpuppet Somkey ... 2012/05/14 04:11:40
  • Somkey ... Somkey ... 2012/05/14 09:11:43
    Somkey the Hores
    WEENIE hides behind the block. Posts smack then runs and hides.
    weenie hides block posts smack runs hides

2014/07/28 06:21:06