Rosie O'Donnell Suffers Heart Attack, Says Aspirin Saved Her Life: Do You Think Aspirin Can Heal the Heart?

The Big Question 2012/08/21 00:39:56

• ACE 2012/08/23 01:17:09
    ACE
    it just waters down the blood
  • dandieselonian 2012/08/22 12:31:07
  • jubil8 BN-0 PON 2012/08/21 20:09:56
    jubil8 BN-0 PON
    +1
    Who ever claimed aspirin "heals" the heart? It acts as a blood thinner, which reduces blockages/clots -- which are the most common causes of heart attacks.
  • Beccy 2012/08/21 20:04:42
    BUt it thins the blood and stops blood clots
  • Rusty Shackleford 2012/08/21 20:02:56
    Rusty Shackleford
    She is a bleeding heart liberal, aspirin makes bleeding worse.
  • bags the Indigenous Guru 2012/08/21 16:27:50
    bags the Indigenous Guru
    +1
    It doesn't 'heal the heart', it thins the blood and in a heart attack that can be critical. If you think you may be having a heart attack, take the darn aspirin. It's what your Doctor would recommend and it DOES save lives.
  • JQHiggins 2012/08/21 15:41:32
    JQHiggins
    No, aspirin cannot heal Rosie O'D's evil heart. But it can thin the blood enough to loosen clots and prevent further blockage. Bloody Germans (Bayer)!!
  • Cunning Stunts 2012/08/21 13:58:17
    Cunning Stunts
    +1
    Aspirin is a blood thinner. All it does is reduce clotting and prevent congestion of choke points in the circulatory system.

It doesn't repair a degraded valve, artery or muscle tissue.
  • Independent Thinker 2012/08/21 13:30:25
    Independent Thinker
    Medical professionals in family - It is a healing agent. Studies have been done; it is a given.

I do not know her story but to say "aspirin saved her life" is not accurate; there are many variables involved but aspirin prevents platelets (blood piece) from clumping, thereby reducing the chances that blood clots will form and clog blood vessels.

Aspirin has other benefits as well.
  • Vijay Pawar 2012/08/21 13:18:12
    Vijay Pawar
    That the main cause of it......
  • ģhøṡτ øώl 2012/08/21 13:04:35
    ģhøṡτ øώl
    Dammit, Asprin!

(Ginkgo Biloba thins the blood also.)
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/08/21 13:00:44
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    Can't heal it, it can prevent heart attacks though. Of course, the Pharmaceutical companies don't want you to know something so cheap can help you so much...
  • taitaFalcon23 2012/08/21 11:40:51
    taitaFalcon23
    +1
    it can temporarily thin the blood and help your heart pump easier... but that may be enough til help arrives
  • sketchbone 2012/08/21 11:33:02
    sketchbone
    +2
    One baby aspirin a day can prevent a heart attack and has been proven to make an evolving heart attack less serious via its anti-platelet function. baby aspirin
  • Che Guevara - Hero 2012/08/21 11:32:19
    Che Guevara - Hero
    +1
    As a first responder, I can attest to the FACT that Aspirin saves the lives of many Heart Attack Victims.

Question: Heart Attacks: Why Take An Aspirin While Waiting For the Paramedics?
    I had a heart attack last year, and my doctor told me that if I ever think I might be having another one, I should chew and swallow an aspirin as soon as I call 911. What I don't understand is, since a heart attack is such a major problem, how could taking a single aspirin do any good?

Answer: A heart attack, also called myocardial infarction, or MI, is usually triggered by the rupture of a plaque within a coronary artery. This plaque rupture causes a blood clot (or thrombus) to form, leading to blockage of the artery. The portion of the heart muscle being supplied by the blocked artery then begins to die - and the death of heart muscle is what defines a myocardial infarction.
    So, at the time you are having a heart attack, a big part of the problem is the growth of the blood clot within the affected artery. Formation of this blood clot depends on the blood platelets, which are tiny blood cells whose job is to participate in blood clotting. It turns out that aspirin - in small doses - can rapidly and powerfully inhibit the activity of the platelets, and therefore can inhibit the growth of the ...

So, at the time you are having a heart attack, a big part of the problem is the growth of the blood clot within the affected artery. Formation of this blood clot depends on the blood platelets, which are tiny blood cells whose job is to participate in blood clotting. It turns out that aspirin - in small doses - can rapidly and powerfully inhibit the activity of the platelets, and therefore can inhibit the growth of the blood clot.

Inhibiting the growth of the blood clot is critical if you're having an MI, since maintaining at least some blood flow through the coronary artery can prevent heart muscle cells from dying. This is why chewing and swallowing an aspirin is usually one of the first things you will be asked to do when you arrive in the emergency room with a suspected MI.

But time is of the essence -- minutes count. So if you think you might be having a heart attack, most experts now advise patients not to wait until they get medical help -- take an aspirin as soon as you are concerned enough to call the paramedics. In this way, you can begin therapy immediately.

How Much, What Type, and How To Take It

The current recommendation for people who may be having a heart attack is to chew and swallow one non-coated adult aspirin (325 mg) as soon as possible. Chewing or crushing the aspirin gets it into your bloodstream more quickly - within 4 to 5 minutes - and researchers have measured a significant effect on platelets within that short period of time. Swallowing a whole aspirin with water, as you normally would, takes 10 to 12 minutes to achieve the same effect. This time difference may seem small, but as we've said, minutes count when your heart is at risk.

http://heartdisease.about.com...
  • dePSyChO 2012/08/21 11:29:04
    dePSyChO
    +1
    Why is this even a question? It's been proven to help fight heart attacks and keep people alive.
  • apachehellfire65 2012/08/21 11:27:47
    apachehellfire65
    +1
    but it does thin your blood.
  • Tastentier 2012/08/21 11:03:13
    Tastentier
    +1
    No. Responsible eating can heal the heart.

If you're looking for a healthy way to lower blood pressure and prevent clotting, I suggest garlic (or garlic pills if you don't like the taste and smell). Aspirin can have severe side effects such as gastrointestinal bleeding when overdosed or taken for a prolonged time.
  • Somkey the Hores 2012/08/21 10:45:50
  • Mr.Right Somkey ... 2012/08/21 14:06:35
    Mr.Right
    Yeah, like the donald. Now there's a guy with a big heart.
  • James Pie 2012/08/21 10:10:55
  • mrdog 2012/08/21 09:04:52
    mrdog
    No but a baby tablet a day is positive thing to do.... and having tablets available during a heart attack can be very very helpful.... learn about it.../Rosie did I guess...bark

p.s. lose some weight rosie...we need you to run for senate office...like Al did and won...
    ha ha ha
  • DPRKworker 2012/08/21 08:45:01
    DPRKworker
    Hmm maybe Rosie if you PUT DOWN THE BIG MAC you wouldn't be suffering heart attacks.
  • Adam 2012/08/21 08:44:11
    Adam
    Its an anti platelet, it doesn't heal anything it just causes the blood to bind to itself less. Which in turn, can help relieve some of the ischemia associated with coronary artery thrombus formation.
  • wtxwoman 2012/08/21 08:41:20
    wtxwoman
    +4
    Aspirin thins the blood; it doesn't 'heal' anything.
  • Angela Chambers 2012/08/21 08:40:45
    Angela Chambers
    Why not? Anything's possible.
  • Adam Angela ... 2012/08/21 08:48:57
    Adam
    +2
    Why not? Because science and research tell us exactly what aspirin does and does not do. "healing the heart" is not something it does.
  • Angela ... Adam 2012/08/21 08:57:21
    Angela Chambers
    It healed hers.
  • taitaFa... Angela ... 2012/08/21 11:45:00
    taitaFalcon23
    no, it didn't. the underlying cause is still there... it prolonged her life until she can find a way to put down the fork
  • taitaFa... Angela ... 2012/08/21 11:43:36
    taitaFalcon23
    sorry, that is not true... aspirin has 1 particular effect that MAY help in some situations not all. Rosie got lucky that's all
  • SICARIO 2012/08/21 08:29:31
    SICARIO
    +1
    Aspirin is a blood thinner..it helps prevent clogs in arteries
  • Osaka 2012/08/21 08:22:47
    Osaka
    Ever read the side-effects of even the pain relievers on shelf! Its ridiculous.
  • KoAm 2012/08/21 08:11:22
    KoAm
    As much as I disagree with her politics, I feel bad for her that she had a heart attack.

It's irresponsible to suggest that popping aspirin will "cure" heart attacks. If she had controlled her weight a little better and taken better care of herself, she may very well not have even had the heart attack in the first place.

That is what should be encouraged -- not the idea that a "magic pill" can keep you from having a heart attack while you let your weight get out of control.
  • Farnsworth 2012/08/21 08:06:34
    Farnsworth
    just thins the blood, which in her case let blood seep through and around the blockage.
  • Spider20 2012/08/21 07:56:57
    Spider20
    Told her not to look into the mirrors.... :-)
  • Devil's Advocate 2012/08/21 07:27:58
    Devil's Advocate
    It does thin the blood and lower blood pressure, though....
  • Jarod Kochman 2012/08/21 07:22:40 (edited)
  • Beat Ma... Jarod K... 2012/08/21 08:08:43
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    Good grief... he's like every boss and gym coach I ever had with a rage control/weight control problem.
  • Jarod K... Beat Ma... 2012/08/21 08:13:08
  • D34dIndian 2012/08/21 07:12:34
    D34dIndian
    +1
    Aspirin does not heal it thins the blood, in turn makes it so blood can more easily travel through clogged arteries.

2014/11/27 02:38:57