Right to Prayer, Andy Rooney

Reaper 2009/10/05 19:04:00
HOORAY, HOORAY, HOORAY for Andy Rooney . I myself have been grumbling and wondering how a handful of people have been able to take our right to pray in public places away from us. So, agreeing with Andy, I GLADLY will forward this email AGAIN, AGAIN AND AGAIN.

Folks, this is the Month that we RE-TAKE AMERICA
********* Get Ready *********

Keep this going around the globe . Read it and forward every time you receive it.. We can't give up on this issue.

Andy Rooney and Prayer

Andy Rooney says:

I don't believe in Santa Claus, but I'm not going to sue somebody for singing a Ho-Ho-Ho song in December. I don't agree with Darwin , but I didn't go out and hire a lawyer when my high school teacher taught his Theory of Evolution.

Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because someone says a 30-second prayer before a football game. So what's the big deal? It's not like somebody is up there reading the entire Book of Acts. They're just talking to a God they believe in and asking him to grant safety to the players on the field and the fans going home from the game.

But it's a Christian prayer, some will argue.

Yes, and this is the United States of America , a country founded on Christian principles. According to our very own phone book, Christian churches outnumber all others better than 200-to-1. So what would you expect -- somebody chanting Hare Krishna?

If I went to a football game in Jerusalem , I would expect to hear a Jewish prayer...

If I went to a soccer game in Baghdad , I would expect to hear a Muslim prayer.

If I went to a ping pong match in China , I would expect to hear someone pray to Buddha.

And I wouldn't be offended. It wouldn't bother me one bit.
When in Rome .....

But what about the atheists? Is another argument.

What about them? Nobody is asking them to be baptized. We're not going to pass the collection plate. Just humor us for 30 seconds. If that's asking too much, bring a Walkman or a pair of ear plugs. Go to the bathroom. Visit the concession stand. Call your lawyer!

Unfortunately, one or two will make that call. One or two will tell thousands what they can and cannot do.. I don't think a short prayer at a football game is going to shake the world's foundations.

Christians are just sick and tired of turning the other cheek while our courts strip us of all our rights. Our parents and grandparents taught us to pray before eating, to pray before we go to sleep. Our Bible tells us to pray without ceasing. Now a handful of people and their lawyers are telling us to cease praying.

God, help us. And if that last sentence offends you, well, just sue me.

The silent majority has been silent too long. It's time we tell that one or two who scream loud enough to be heard that the vast majority doesn't care what they want. It is time that the majority
Rules! It's time we tell them, You don't have to pray; you don't have to say the Pledge of Allegiance; you don't have to believe in God or attend services that honor Him. That is your right, and we will honor your right; but by golly, you are no longer going to take our rights away. We are fighting back, and we WILL WIN!

God bless us one and all ... Especially those who denounce Him , God bless America, despite all her faults. She is still the greatest nation of all. God bless our service men who are fighting to protect our right to pray and worship God.

Let's make 2009 the year the silent majority is heard and we put God back as the foundation of our families and institutions . And our military forces come home from all the wars.

Your Thought's

• Nathaniel Stalter 2012/03/20 15:48:42
    Nathaniel Stalter
    +3
    Reaper, you make me ashamed to be American, to be a member of the human race. You are the most small-minded, intolerant, ignorant, worthless sack of meat it has ever been my misfortune to encounter. You are incapable of responding intelligently to a valid argument. Just because Waiting is Canadian, it does not disqualify him from commenting on this discussion. Religious freedom and the separation of church and state is a matter which concerns everyone in the entire world. If you are incapable of growing up and participating in a discussion like an intelligent adult, then you should remove yourself from it. I am an American, and proud to be one. But people like dim that enthusiasm and pride. I am also an atheist, and people like you make scared for the future, because my life would be in jeopardy if people like you were ever to gain control of the government. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that I am one the most moral and ethical people they know. I would never endorse genocide, or murder, rape, torture, or anything like that. But a religious zealot like you would kill anyone if you thought that your god demanded it. The bible you hold so high as a symbol of morality descended from god advocates turning out your virgin daughters to a sex-crazed mob, just to protect 2 utter strangers. Read Genesis 19:8. I'm done now, but I hope that you have learned something, even though I know you haven't.

• Phantom Oracle 2013/09/12 20:37:59
    Phantom Oracle
    +2
    Hoax or Not is irrelevant! The point is the content; not the character or who gets the credit for what was written. I do not believe Paul Harvey or Andy Rooney as professionals intended to plagiarize somebody else's work. They wanted to add their two cents and get wider dissemination of the message to their respective audiences. As for the Constitution and separation of church and state. The Constitution Guarantees FREEDOM OF RELIGION NOT FREEDOM FROM RELIGION. It means the State cannot sanction any specific religion. Finally, as a man of Faith and of science, I am a science teacher! All the proof any one needs for the existence of a super-natural Being (aka God) is looking back at you in a mirror! The fact that you are ALIVE is sufficient PERIOD. What is Life but for GOD? Science cannot explain it or define it and has NEVER
    been able to assemble inanimate and inorganic elements from the periodic table and make it come alive. And it defies the laws of probability, not to mention logic & reason, that anything could become assembled from primordial ooze and goo, theorized to have been amino acids, to become "alive" AND to do it in such a way that it could replicate (reproduce) itself fast enough (i.e. within one life time) for life to be able to continue no matter how simple. The proof is in the mirror, looking back at you is a BLINDING GLIMSE OF THE OBVIOUS, THE EXISTENCE OF GOD. You athiests out there are playing dice against God...think about it.
  • Nathaniel Stalter 2012/03/20 15:48:42
    Nathaniel Stalter
    +3
  • Phantom... Nathani... 2013/09/12 20:38:56
    Phantom Oracle
    +1
  • ScrooBius pip 2010/12/21 12:04:16
    ScrooBius pip
    +3
    the indignation of the ignorant is the best reason to laugh.
    the angrier the religious right get the bigger the gut laugh I get, thank you :)
  • Mikey Pooh 2010/12/16 18:41:11
    Mikey Pooh
    +3
    Out of curiosity, how many people replying to this hoax in favor of the message are Republicans?
  • glyndonhague 2010/09/15 20:51:27
  • Gwen 2010/09/02 18:39:14
    Gwen
    +1
    message good....but Andy Rooney never stated, or wrote this.....neither did Paul Harvey....a person in submitted to paper in Texas ? about 10 years ago......wrongly attributed to Rooney....you can Snopes this for accuracy...
  • Eileen Quimpo 2009/11/23 20:31:00
    Eileen Quimpo
    Join the discussion! Answer here.
  • Dehoaxer 2009/10/16 08:39:48
    Dehoaxer
    You guys aren't all serious, right? You all know that the email is a joke, a hoax--right? See www.snopes.com for discussion. At first I took the email seriously, too, but then I looked at it again, more closely. For instance, there's no date. That almost always marks a hoax. Then there's the "celebrity author" or "real person next door" who didn't write the thing at all. Next, consider the crack about praying to Buddha at a ping-pong game in China! That gave it away. (For those who don't know, people don't normally pray to Buddha at ping-pong matches in China.) In fact, the whole piece mocks prayer and trivializes religion. For example, look at the line about Christians not turning the cheek any more. In other words, they're going to fight back--just the opposite of what Jesus tells us!

I see the writer from Canada was upset, but there's nothing to be upset about. The kind of screwball writing in the email is like a Saturday Night Live or MadTV send up. It's a parody: it satirizes people who believe in prayer. The hoaxer is just getting his/her kicks at the expense of people of faith. That's too bad.

In many ways, this hoax reminds me of the Y2K "end of the world" hoax emails that were sent out. One said all the airplanes in the air on December 31, 1999, would crash. A lot of ...

In many ways, this hoax reminds me of the Y2K "end of the world" hoax emails that were sent out. One said all the airplanes in the air on December 31, 1999, would crash. A lot of educated people swallowed that claim hook, line, and sinker.

However, for those who still take this hoax seriously, you may wish to reflect that claiming that Andy Rooney wrote something he did not is a form of bearing false witness. Passing it on as such is a form of rumor mongering, another way of being a false witness.

Finally, consider Mark Twain's "War Prayer" available at http://www.lewrockwell.com/or... Now that's Twain at his most serious.
  • Bean1972 Dehoaxer 2010/07/20 17:02:12
    Bean1972
    +1
    The only hoax here is that Andy Rooney did not write this...the essay was written by a sports writer in Witchita Falls.
  • tamonet Dehoaxer 2010/09/17 13:43:15
    tamonet
    +1
    Dehoaxer - Just have to set you straight on one thing - Y2K? There were no airplanes crashing, no banks freezing all of their accounts, no phone systems gone haywire, etc, thanks to millions of people who worked day and night for months, even years, updating outdated program code to handle a four-digit year. I know, I was one of them! The nightmares did not happen, but not because they were hoaxes - because enough people worked harder than most people will ever know to make sure things went smoothly.
  • chamberlainbleary 2009/10/15 02:05:21
    chamberlainbleary
    First of all Andy Rooney was an atheist and this was not written by him, second of all the lawsuit about the public prayer before a football game was brought up by a Catholic and a Baptist. Christians forget that the entire reason we have a separation of church and state is to keep christians from oppressing other christians.
  • Reaper chamber... 2009/10/15 02:15:24
    Reaper
    proof
  • chamber... Reaper 2009/10/15 04:02:16
    chamberlainbleary
    Here's a supreme court case, sorry it was a mormon and a catholic.
    http://supct.law.cornell.edu/...
  • Reaper chamber... 2009/10/15 04:30:37
    Reaper
    so be it, thanks for the link, what does this have to do with the story by Andy mean, by the way I have heard Andy talk about his Christian faith, What he has a problem with are organised religion
  • Vic N chamber... 2010/08/04 14:44:36
    Vic N
    +1
    The seperation of church and state is meant that the government doesn't tell the church how to run itself. But allows the church to direct the government on moral grounds .
  • goatman112003 2009/10/07 00:22:40
    goatman112003
    +2
    The atheists have an agenda. You can't violate the ten commandments if the people know it especially the part of coveting your neighbor's stuff.
  • Reaper goatman... 2009/10/07 16:56:30
    Reaper
    +1
    they are always pulling out the Bible whenever it suits them
  • realist 2009/10/05 23:01:20
    realist
    lol someone still takes andy rooney seriously.
  • Nanapie 2009/10/05 20:13:28
    Nanapie
    +1
    Nobody has or ever will take away my right to pray, either in public or private. It's something that I do in my own soul and it makes no difference at all whether it's said aloud or not.
  • Reaper Nanapie 2009/10/05 20:23:14
  • Willy 2009/10/05 19:32:38 (edited)
    Willy
    God Bless Andy Rooney! I too am tired of the athiests crying and moaning about prayer, God in the pledge of allegence and so on! I recently received a neat audio clip from an old Red Skelton radio show where he discusses the Pledge of Allegence and what it truely means. It really hits home.
  • Reaper Willy 2009/10/05 19:38:18
    Reaper
    +1
    check out what the atheist below said "WAITING" another Canadian trying to set policy here
  • Willy Reaper 2009/10/07 12:02:25
    Willy
    I just ignored that jerk! I didn't realize he was canadian. That amkes him even more worthless to this conversation!
  • Reaper Willy 2009/10/07 16:58:49
    Reaper
    +1
    I gave him the what for, the idiot is on LSD or some thing
  • Willy Reaper 2009/10/08 11:26:41
    Willy
    i saw that! He is truly a moron. Once again someone sticking their nose where it doesn't belong. Imagine that!
  • Waiting 2009/10/05 19:30:55
    Waiting
    +1
    "Life, liberty or your pursuit of happiness will not be endangered because someone says a 30-second prayer before a football game. "

Neither will it be if it is not said. You have the coplete right to pray at home, in your church and under your breath.

The diferene between the nations you spoke about above and here is that USA is a nation of acceptance and immigration.
  • Reaper Waiting 2009/10/05 19:34:32 (edited)
    Reaper
    +1
    http://bl109w.blu109.mail.liv...
    when Canada becomes a state of the USA I might take you seriously
  • Waiting Reaper 2009/10/05 19:53:13
    Waiting
    +1
    Interesting comment. Basically it seems you are finding the easiest albeit irrational way to defend yourself.

The link does not work by the way.
  • Reaper Waiting 2009/10/05 19:59:59
    Reaper
    +1
    Oh well, you are your own God, so you claim whatever you like and in your own mind you are correct, your a minority of 1.
  • Waiting Reaper 2009/10/05 20:06:21
    Waiting
    +1
    How am I my own god? How am I am minority of 1?

Basically since I am not an American you have decided I am unworthy to discuss this topic with you, is that correct?
  • Reaper Waiting 2009/10/05 20:27:25 (edited)
    Reaper
    +1
    if you live in Canada your an American, your a minority of one because you have no spiritual connection with no other being, simple, If you believe nothing other than your own ability to travel this existence that would make you your own higher power (GOD)
  • Waiting Reaper 2009/10/05 20:57:55
    Waiting
    +1
    I am not an American, I am a Canadian and there are 30 million of us.
    Why do you think I don't have connection to any being?
    Why do you think I believe in nothing but my own ability to travel this existence?
    I am certainly not my own higher power.
  • Reaper Waiting 2009/10/05 21:23:46
    Reaper
    +1
    You claim to be an Atheist, your a Canadian American, I am a United States American, native Americans, Mexican Americans,
    you have just proven that your not an intelligent being to me and all those who will read this american united american native americans mexican americans proven intelligent read http://shatterpoint.files.wor... native americans mexican americans proven intelligent read httpshatterpoint files wor native americans mexican americans proven intelligent read httpshatterpoint files wor
  • Waiting Reaper 2009/10/05 22:29:06
    Waiting
    +1
    I am an atheist yes.
    The term American is generally used to refer to the people of USA. That fact you are ignoring that does make me less inteligent. I am pretty sure if you go to any place in Canada or Mexico and call them American's they will say no I m Canadian or Mexican.

Your pics posts are insulting and ignorant. Atheists are just as moral as Christians or Hindus or Muslims or any other religion. I think your inclusion of those pics will show any readers that you have no comprehension of Atheists and simply insult that which you don't understand.

I will to bet if you check people convicted of most of the crimes listed in the second pic many more would have been committed by religious people than Atheists.

And by the way atheism does not have a symbol, because it is not a religion or a faith is is simply the lack thereof.
  • Reaper Waiting 2009/10/05 22:37:34
    Reaper
    +1
    its all an issue of perspective and I think you are starting to catch on
  • Waiting Reaper 2009/10/05 22:43:42
    Waiting
    +1
    What is an issue of perspective?
    You hurl inslts and don't respond to valid arguments.
    The pnly perspective I see here is that I am doing my best to be civil and stay with the discussion at hand and you are avoiding and insulting.
    I think this is a perfect example of how you were wrong on morals.
  • Reaper Waiting 2009/10/05 22:50:13
    Reaper
    +1
    OK, I was wrong , you have no idea what I am talking about,
    I guess you should just leave now.
  • Waiting Reaper 2009/10/05 23:01:46
    Waiting
    +1
    So you insult me and are rude to me and explain things poorly and then want to kick me out.
    Very Christain of you.
  • Vic N Waiting 2010/08/04 14:49:03
    Vic N
    +1
    How can an Athiest be moral if you don't have GODS code of ethics to follow.

2014/07/28 22:35:24