Remembering "Joltin' Joe" DiMaggio. Died 12 years ago today. Your thoughts?

Superpepsiman20 2011/03/08 07:42:14

• LesWaggoner BN 1 2011/03/11 05:12:34
    LesWaggoner BN 1
    One of the greats.
  • desi-cakes 2011/03/10 23:59:02
    desi-cakes
    R.I.P "Joltin Joe" DiMaggio
  • beautiful_dreamer789 2011/03/10 18:38:01
    beautiful_dreamer789
    I do not remember him but I heard my dad talk about him .and I know he was married to Marlyn monroe.thats all I know about him,except he was a great baseball player heard dad talk married marlyn monroe himexcept baseball player joe dimaggio heard dad talk married marlyn monroe himexcept baseball player joe dimaggio
  • Twitch 2011/03/10 05:16:49
    Twitch
    +1
    RIP dude... i dont have a clue who him was...
  • Superpe... Twitch 2011/03/10 05:17:29
    Superpepsiman20
    then why answer?
  • mae 2011/03/09 00:56:27 (edited)
    mae
    +1
    A fantastic baseball player, and the truest love of Marilyn Monroe--Still honored their anniversary date and her birthday every year.
  • Tom 2011/03/08 22:56:45
    Tom
    Great baseball player.
  • jokeriser 2011/03/08 21:37:12
    jokeriser
    WHO?
  • mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/03/08 20:15:46
    mg's haven~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    This man could play some ball...The fact he caught marilyn monroe doesnt hurt him either. LOL
  • David - a nudist 2011/03/08 19:22:13
  • Superpe... David -... 2011/03/09 00:59:43
    Superpepsiman20
    +1
    Love that tune It's classic.
  • David -... Superpe... 2011/03/09 05:16:16
  • terc 2011/03/08 17:26:48 (edited)
    terc
    +1
    I remember DiMaggio only from book about Marilyn Monroe that I read several years ago.
  • Lerro DeHazel 2011/03/08 16:15:16
    Lerro DeHazel
    +1
    Remembering "Joltin' Joe" DiMaggio . . . Once, following a Yankee win, some members of the press were in the locker room and talking to some Yankees, there. Joe was wearing a t-shirt and sitting on a bench and getting ready to lean down and untie his shoes, when he heard a snap and realized that a flash from a camera must have been aimed his way. He quickly straightened back up and got on his feet and stood toe to toe with the member of the press. To paraphrase what he said . . . “Don’t be publishing any photographs of me in any publication that someone will be seeing me wearing anything but a full uniform. Some of my fans are even as young as 8-years-old. I don’t want them to be seeing any photographs of me wearing undergarments. Also, when he heard about the song “Mrs. Robinson”, he called in Paul Simon and said, “Punk! Don’t you ever write another word or phrase about me ever again, or you are going to suffer in a Court-of-Law!!” That was really funny because some of Joe’s closest friends were saying; “Hey Joe; it’s okay; the kid only wrote good things about you.” . . . What Joe DiMaggio didn’t like though was when he heard that the movie was a story about a married woman seducing a college student. THAT really burned him up!! It’s really a good feeling; there is ...
    Remembering "Joltin' Joe" DiMaggio . . . Once, following a Yankee win, some members of the press were in the locker room and talking to some Yankees, there. Joe was wearing a t-shirt and sitting on a bench and getting ready to lean down and untie his shoes, when he heard a snap and realized that a flash from a camera must have been aimed his way. He quickly straightened back up and got on his feet and stood toe to toe with the member of the press. To paraphrase what he said . . . “Don’t be publishing any photographs of me in any publication that someone will be seeing me wearing anything but a full uniform. Some of my fans are even as young as 8-years-old. I don’t want them to be seeing any photographs of me wearing undergarments. Also, when he heard about the song “Mrs. Robinson”, he called in Paul Simon and said, “Punk! Don’t you ever write another word or phrase about me ever again, or you are going to suffer in a Court-of-Law!!” That was really funny because some of Joe’s closest friends were saying; “Hey Joe; it’s okay; the kid only wrote good things about you.” . . . What Joe DiMaggio didn’t like though was when he heard that the movie was a story about a married woman seducing a college student. THAT really burned him up!! It’s really a good feeling; there is a certain part of North Beach in San Francisco that when I go there I automatically feel the spirit of Joe DiMaggio . . . It is actually north of Broadway, where all of the strip-joints are. There are 3-different routes that one can take to get to that very NORTHERN-PART of North Beach, but still be south of Fisherman’s Wharf; and that can be accomplished without ever going passed the strip-joints on Broadway; that are very similar to Bourbon Street in New Orleans, where things are going to get pretty hot tonight (Fat Tuesday). So, you don’t really have to take that southern route to get to Joe DiMaggio’s neighborhood. Still, till this day, I can feel the spirit of Joe DiMaggio when I take visiting family members or friends from out of town there for some real delicious Italian Cuisine, etc. BTW, I personally, never had much use for Marilyn Monroe. I saw her as a slutty-type-of-woman whom you could smell the body-odor of her 3rd Hand Cigarette Smoke, and yesterday’s Prell Concentrate Shampoo, just by looking at a semi-nude pic of her . . . And that’s about the only kind of pose you ever saw of her, anyway . . .
  • Blancmange19 2011/03/08 15:42:10
    Blancmange19
    +1
    A great baseball player, but a very strange and self-centered man. He insisted on being introduced as "the greatest living ballplayer." And heaven help you if you failed to do so. He allegedly punched Billy Crystal in the stomach for making that error. His selfishness in the 1951 World Series caused Mickey Mantle's first devastating knee injury when Mantle had to pull up to allow Joe D to make a catch. Mantle was told to cover for DiMaggio because Joe D could no longer cover as much ground. DiMaggio retired after that Series.
  • Superpe... Blancma... 2011/03/09 01:01:30 (edited)
    Superpepsiman20
    Good point. Thanks for that information...but baseball players were mean back then they didn't care about anyone.
  • baboula 2011/03/08 15:11:52
    baboula
    +2
    Im a Yankee fan need I say more?
    ok..other than the fact that most know him as Mr. Coffee; he was also the only of Marilyn Monroe's exes that always put flowers on her grave yankee fan coffee marilyn monroes exes flowers grave joe dimaggio
  • RoryCanadia 2011/03/08 15:09:14
    RoryCanadia
    +1
    56 game hitting streak is one of those sports records that may never be broken.
  • Superpe... RoryCan... 2011/03/09 01:02:56
    Superpepsiman20
    I 2nd that.
    one of the BEST!!!
  • DannyHansen 2011/03/08 14:36:25
    DannyHansen
    hmmm
  • FeedFwd ~POTL 2011/03/08 14:14:41
    FeedFwd ~POTL
    +2
    One of the greatest people to become a star. Mickey Mantle was playing when I first learned of baseball. I was a Yankee fan because there are no major league teams in Oklahoma. My favorite movie was Safe at Home with Mickey and Roger Maris. My parents went to San Francisco and ate at Dimaggio's restaurant and got his autograph on a menu to bring back for me. My dad was never so heart broken as when I asked "Who is that?" Of course, I was only about 5 at the time. Later I learned who "that" was and it is one of the few celebrity autographs I ever had.
  • Bob, the reasonable one 2011/03/08 13:55:17
    Bob, the reasonable one
    Way before my time...I remember him mostly from his Mr. Coffee commercials.
  • Theresa 2011/03/08 12:07:48
    Theresa
    +1
    Of course I remember.........
  • Pam 2011/03/08 11:17:13
    Pam
    +1
    DiMaggio was a very complex man, he could be nice but he also had a mean streak a mile wide. He couldn't live with her but he loved Marilyn Monroe till the day she died, helped her out of many a bad time(even getting her out of a mental hospital) and paid for her funeral and kept the press and some of her Hollywood friends (who he believed had a hand in her death) away. He was a complex private man and a hero on the ballfield. There is no one like him.
  • XENON23 2011/03/08 10:43:33
    XENON23
    I need more Coffee
  • The Terrific Whatzit BN-0 2011/03/08 08:11:13 (edited)
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    +1
    I love baseball. Best sport in the world Imo. I appreciate Joe's accomplishment's, and am sad he passed. But Joe was a Yankee. And there's nothing as low down, useless and rank as a man wearing pin stripes and a ballcap with NY stitched above the bill.

joe yankee rank wearing pin stripes ballcap ny stitched redsox
  • Sister ... The Ter... 2011/03/08 14:42:40
    thumbs down and I am a Red Sox fan for over 40 yrs
  • The Ter... Sister ... 2011/03/08 21:56:09
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    With all due respect Sister, you're job description entails love and respect for one and all. Mine doesn't. A Yankee is a Yankee is a Yankee.

sister job description entails love respect yankee yankee yankee
  • Sister ... The Ter... 2011/03/08 21:57:28
    and many of them were great .. records attest to that
  • The Ter... Sister ... 2011/03/08 21:59:46
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    I believe I said that "I appreciate Joe's accomplishment's". That's as much as a Yankee will ever get out of me.
  • Sister ... The Ter... 2011/03/08 22:00:40
    THIS IS AN OPINION SITE...AMEN
  • The Ter... Sister ... 2011/03/08 22:05:04
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    Exactly, so why am I catching flak for my own?
  • Sister ... The Ter... 2011/03/08 22:10:29
    you started it I believe
  • The Ter... Sister ... 2011/03/08 22:33:58 (edited)
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    No, you replied to my comment giving me a thumbs down. I don't believe I made reply to your comment doing the same. I allowed you to have your opinion.
  • baboula The Ter... 2011/03/08 15:05:14
    baboula
    +1
    that's why Red Sox fans are the equivalent of football's Philly fans. red sox fans equivalent footballs philly fans red sox fans equivalent footballs philly fans
  • baboula baboula 2011/03/08 15:07:40
    baboula
    +1
    forgot some:
    forgot forgot
  • The Ter... baboula 2011/03/09 00:35:16
  • The Ter... baboula 2011/03/09 00:34:45
    The Terrific Whatzit BN-0
    And? You're point? And NY fans aren't douchebags? Have you ever been to a Yankees home game wearing opposing colors?
  • baboula The Ter... 2011/03/09 01:32:13
    baboula
    Why would I wear opposing colors to a home game? Razzing happens in all sports - try being a Dallas Cowboy fan in Washington Redskin territory
    game razzing sports dallas cowboy fan washington redskin territory
    and proud of it

2014/09/23 20:27:21