Rape Scenes in Horror Movies: Are You For Them or Against Them?

SimplyShannon 2010/08/29 22:41:33
Related Topics: Theater
I mean yes rape is horrible, but I have seen people walk out of the movie theater because one is shown. I mean you chose to go see a movie that is meant to make you scared and rape is an all too real fear...
Your opinions?

• HarleyHerbert 2010/08/30 21:47:28
    I don't mind them
    HarleyHerbert
    I agree with what you said. The point of Horror is to scare, and rape scares. Also, it's something that's real and can happen to anyone, which makes it scarier.
  • Fergie 2010/08/30 21:40:03
    Fergie
    +2
    They should never show gratuitous or glamorized rape scenes..however if it is shot in a realistic way to show the grittiness of the act and to raise awareness on the issue, then I think it is ok..sometimes it is good to make people uncomfortable
  • WshngMchn 2010/08/30 21:31:38 (edited)
    I don't mind them
    WshngMchn
    +1
    On the one hand, even talking about it runs the risk of upsetting someone who has experienced it.

On the other hand, I think literally everything is fair game for film.

Evil Dead, anyone?
  • dpdpp 2010/08/30 21:26:26
    I don't mind them
    dpdpp
    +1
    if you are FOR rape in a movie, you have problems, but i really don't care
  • Superman 2010/08/30 21:09:46
    Superman
    I don't really want to say I don't mind them. I'm not comfortable watching them, but thats the idea of a drama or a horror - to make you uncomfortable.

I don't like the idea of using rape as a throw away scene just to scare. But in a film where it fits the story and the direction - of course. What could be scarier?
  • Kshark 2010/08/30 21:02:41
    Kshark
    Rape scenes are not just in horror movies. What's Love Got To Do With It about Tina Turner was not a horror movie and had a rape scene.

That is the point with horror movies though to incite horror. I do watch horror movies and I hate rape scenes, I am female by the way. I merely look away and plug my ears so I do not have to listen or watch the scene happening and I wait until it is over. Then I continue to watch the movie.

There are just some movies I won't bother watching if the movie is basically all about the rape such as Straw Dogs.
  • mzemma Kshark 2010/08/31 01:50:21
  • bags mzemma 2010/08/31 14:26:28
    bags
    Honey.....that's what rape is about, control and humiliation - not sex. It's about someone's feelings of inadequacy grown to such a point they must have complete control over another human being. Not all men are like this, just as not all men are rapists. And not all rapists are men, either......

That's the thing here....see, the rapes in horror movies aren't usually germane to the plot. You don't have to show a rape to 'explain' how some horror got it's beginnings. Many of our best known Horror villains were based on one man, Ed Gein. And he was born of a very Christian marriage and upbringing.
  • Kshark mzemma 2010/08/31 16:14:32
    Kshark
    Ummmmmmmm well for one thing there is a percentage of women, true smaller than men, that actually rape men. Yes men can be a-holes and women can be b*tches. Rape is a disgusting, revolting act, but don't plague a whole gender of the human species for a select amount that engage in this rage and need for control.
  • Anunnaki 2010/08/30 20:17:34
    I don't mind them
    Anunnaki
    They promote procreation.
  • mzemma Anunnaki 2010/08/31 01:50:46
  • RawRsaurus 2010/08/30 19:17:07
    I don't mind them
    RawRsaurus
    +1
    In defense of A Clockwork Orange, the rape event in the movie was a necessity. It was a faithful adaptation, therefore, the movie (like the novel) progressed after such an event occurred.
  • KellyKing 2010/08/30 18:39:17
    KellyKing
    +1
    Granted it is just a movie. However, a woman who has been raped may unknowingly be sitting in a movie that has the scene. Rape is ...well there is no word that can possibly express how awful it is. To put the scene in the movie is belittling the atrocity. People are making money off of others tragedy. I feel the same way about the movie "Taken". There are thousands of women as I write this answer who are sold into sex slavery, drugged, raped into submission. This is not something that people should be depicting and making money off of. The worst thing about it is that very little is done to stop these aggressive acts towards women. If rapists were castrated as well as incarcerated we just might slow down these barbaric animals. Movies tend to sensationalize such events for the sake of making money. They never show the aftermath; the psychological damage that has been done. In my opinion our media in all forms is out of control and is in part responsible for the degradation of society. Note I say in part. Intelligent minds know better, but the young who have poor upbringing are easily swayed. I believe the media has a responsibility to our citizens and they are failing greatly. Movies are not for educational purposes, they are for entertainment and making money....
    Granted it is just a movie. However, a woman who has been raped may unknowingly be sitting in a movie that has the scene. Rape is ...well there is no word that can possibly express how awful it is. To put the scene in the movie is belittling the atrocity. People are making money off of others tragedy. I feel the same way about the movie "Taken". There are thousands of women as I write this answer who are sold into sex slavery, drugged, raped into submission. This is not something that people should be depicting and making money off of. The worst thing about it is that very little is done to stop these aggressive acts towards women. If rapists were castrated as well as incarcerated we just might slow down these barbaric animals. Movies tend to sensationalize such events for the sake of making money. They never show the aftermath; the psychological damage that has been done. In my opinion our media in all forms is out of control and is in part responsible for the degradation of society. Note I say in part. Intelligent minds know better, but the young who have poor upbringing are easily swayed. I believe the media has a responsibility to our citizens and they are failing greatly. Movies are not for educational purposes, they are for entertainment and making money. If one feels that education is needed on the topic of rape (which I agree there is a need) then documentaries and news shows should be used in tasteful and considerate manners. Not by exploiting another’s pain for the sake of a dollar. Consideration needs to be taken.
  • mzemma KellyKing 2010/08/31 01:51:51
    mzemma
    No men like to see rape scenes!... If women don't like to see them.... and men are producting the movie..... hello...guess what? It's a man, a domination, control freak, thing!
  • Kshark mzemma 2010/08/31 16:29:14
    Kshark
    Ok have you ever heard of BDSM? Women do engage it.
  • HerrDoctor 2010/08/30 17:41:47
    I don't mind them
    HerrDoctor
    +1
    it just a movie. period. If you dont like seeing such things than a horror movie, no, a rated R movie is not someplace to be. Next time pay attention to the ratings or go watch a disney flick or something and quit complaining.
  • will 2010/08/30 17:37:17
    will
    Movies are shown to entertain and inform. Rape is both. Most horror movies have one or several killers, and rarely are they seen as rapists, even though being raped or sexually violated can be very frightening and traumatizing. Usually a rape scene will be in intense dramas or thrillers. There are not too many safe movies, most have evil or bad things and people have a hard time coping with these situations. However these evils need to be confronted, either by education, or psychological preventive maintenance, and post-trauma mind repair.
  • bags will 2010/08/31 14:28:11
    bags
    Rape is entertaining? Ooooooooookay......
  • will bags 2010/08/31 17:01:29
    will
    I didn't say entertaining to me, but to some crazies.
  • bags will 2010/08/31 17:17:56
    bags
    I was responding to your statement.. "Movies are shown to entertain and inform. Rape is both." It was your statement, I assumed by that you were including yourself, you didn't seem to make any exclusionary qualification.
  • will bags 2010/08/31 17:27:58
    will
    Well don't always assume. It is a true statement. I did write it, but it is not true to believe that rape is entertaining to me. I was only stating a truth.
  • bags will 2010/08/31 17:29:26
    bags
    Interesting that you state that rape being entertaining is a truth.
  • will bags 2010/09/01 17:31:09
    will
    For some people, yes, rape is entertaining, and to a certain point, rape needs to be shown on the silver screen. Ironically, we have seen people and creatures getting killed, and modern technology has enhanced the way we see it, but yet rape is too violent, and while at the same time, people are turned on by gang bang sex, even if it is all an act for entertainment.
  • hunee 2010/08/30 16:41:08
    I don't mind them
    hunee
    +1
    I'm afraid of being murdered too but should that be taken out of movies? How about heart attacks, I don't want one of those....it's a slippery slope to start regulating what people can and can't put into a movie.
  • Nimara 2010/08/30 16:36:16
    They should never show rape in a movie
    Nimara
    Especially disturbing ones, such as the one in A Clockwork Orange.
    There are movies where they have the victim having flashbacks of rape(not really a scene)...it's not great, but it's better than sitting there and watching the rape take place. I hope this makes sense...IDK.
  • tweety 2010/08/30 02:03:23
    I don't mind them
    tweety
    One has to remember it's just a movie. I don't like the idea that a 17 yr. old may see it and get ideas but unfortunately it happens all too often.
  • HerrDoctor tweety 2010/08/30 17:38:13
    HerrDoctor
    +2
    so basically your saying a 17 yr old who mind you can be charged as an adult in such crimes, is young enough to be swayed into becoming a rapist by watching a movie? I dont think so. Only people who are already disturbed do such things, and are not corrupted by movies or video games, i mean come on people. Classic Conservative outlook and ignorance.
  • Dar 2010/08/29 22:52:17
    Dar
    It can be disturbing. To real. But. It is just a movie.
  • Captain Spaulding (Movie-Guy) 2010/08/29 22:49:31
    Captain Spaulding (Movie-Guy)
    +2
    Thanks for the Ride Lady
  • nikateen 2010/08/29 22:46:29
    I don't mind them
    nikateen
    +2
    its just a movie. when people complain about movies and music havin things that they don't like i say "if you don't like it then don't listen to it or watch it"

2014/12/21 14:15:02