Raise the eligibility age for Medicare?

L.A. Times 2012/12/07 15:51:40
As they debate ways to control the federal deficit, President Obama and congressional Republicans have both acknowledged the need to rein in federal spending on healthcare programs such as Medicare, which provides health insurance to about 50 million elderly and disabled Americans.

Among the leading proposals to slow Medicare spending — a key ingredient of a budget deal — is to raise the eligibility age for the program, an option frequently championed by conservatives.

medicare

Read More: http://www.latimes.com/health/la-na-medicare-qa-20...

• Lanikai 2012/12/07 19:35:24
    +10
    And limit it to ONLY those who have paid into the system.

My dad worked til he was 68, my father in law worked til he was 81, people are living longer, so YES< raise the age.

It's not extensive enough as it is now!
  • Deb 2012/12/12 19:01:28
    Deb
    I ONLY picked No because IMHO they want you to work until you drop dead, therefore, NO PAYMENTS to you!!

BTW: Social Security is NO LONGER called that...it's NOW A FEDERAL BENEFIT. Excuse me?!! I have paid into this crap just over 30 yrs. paid taxes on it....IT'S NOT A FREAKING BENEFIT!!
  • ttfndude 2012/12/12 12:22:44
    ttfndude
    +1
    I work with real working men and they are lucky to be functional at 65 or 67. They deserve a break after building the roads and bridges that all the wealthy people bitch about when they are closed getting repaired or re-built. You wan to save tons of money refuse health insurance to our politicians for life, what a crock. Save more money stop giving Senators and their families Secret Service care for life, as well as ex-presidents. After 10 years shut them down they are not usually even part of the world conversation after that point.
  • lol fakename 2012/12/12 04:18:34
    lol fakename
    +2
    Means testing should be in place at pretty much every age for Medicare. Raising the eligibility age barely affects the deficit. It's just going to shift those costs elsewhere and remove healthy workers from the equation. Ignoring the human cost, a healthy work force is good for the entire system.
  • T A 2012/12/12 03:33:22 (edited)
    T A
    No, the government should begin obtaining funds voluntarily. No need for votes or politicians or force. Just let people pay for what they want. Let them allocate their own resources as they think best and let the chips fall where they will.
  • mountainman 2012/12/12 01:51:02
    mountainman
    +1
    WTF, There have already been cuts in Social Security, which I have been paying into for over 30 years, these "Cuts" are simply raising the age of eligibility. Leave these programs alone and cut spending, raise taxes, get the debt paid off, get back to the gold standard, abolish the Federal Reserve (which is NOT a Federal Government program) and get the Government back to pre WW1 levels. During the Regan Administration, Social Security was well funded and didn't cause any worries. Regan "borrowed" money from Social Security to fund HIS tax cuts for the wealthy, and now look where we are. There are many in congress now that were either unborn or pukes in diapers when Regan was president.
  • #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT... 2012/12/12 01:46:14
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +3
    Medicare for ALL!
  • Redneck 2012/12/12 00:27:50
    Redneck
    We're broke people! It's going to take all of us taking some medicine to cure this problem. People were never intended to live on Medicare and Social Security for more than 5 or 10 years when it was started. I've got news for you, if you'll keep working until you're 70 or so, if you can, you'll be healthier for it.
  • mountai... Redneck 2012/12/12 01:56:36
    mountainman
    +2
    Guess what, I have stood in front of a guy talking to him and found out he was on Social Security Disability. His disability? Hooked on Crack Cocaine. He was too messed up to work so they declared him disabled and put him on Social Security Disability. Go figure. I was in a car accident in the 1970's, had a tramatic brain injury, and because I have been "Gainfully employed" since that time, I am not eligible for ANY assistance of ANY KIND.
  • Redneck mountai... 2012/12/12 04:47:30
    Redneck
    +2
    yep, but if you suddenly become a blubbering drunk, you'll qualify.
  • mountai... Redneck 2012/12/12 13:20:28
  • Oltom 2012/12/11 20:45:40
    Oltom
    +2
    Not only Medicare but Social Security also plus means testing for those who have a higher income!
    I also believe that congress should not get retirement since most have become wealthy while in office!
  • aherbert 2012/12/11 19:30:04
  • Todd The Libertarian 2012/12/11 19:13:38
    Todd The Libertarian
    You old people need to listen to Ryan,Canter n the boys.You need to work longer to collect the money you paid into.Work until you die!
  • Kenneth Huang 2012/12/11 18:51:41
    Kenneth Huang
    +5
    Medicare = better care, lower costs

Private insurance = worse care (or no care at all), higher costs

So, we're going to raise the eligibility age and move people from the very good Medicare to mediocre-to-very-bad private insurance? This makes sense why?
  • Marek 2012/12/11 15:36:56 (edited)
    Marek
    +2
    Damn, damn, my mouse slipped. I wanted to click "NO" but the mouse lke voting machines defaulted in obama favor.

That said seniors who overwhelmingly voted for this con man will be the ones he royally screws. He cleverly includes republicans as a fig leaf cover so he and the sycophantic media whores can blame republicans when the whole Medicare thing gets flushed down to sewers. Make no mistake old fools who voted for this obamination he will take the Medicare away bit by bit and provide "euthanasia option" through his un-affordable health care act.
  • mountai... Marek 2012/12/12 13:25:36
    mountainman
    +1
    Hey, finally someone else that also knows about the "take away bit by bit" style congress uses. Yup, sooner than you think our constitution will have been torn up and used for kindling in the fireplace. The communists are winning. From within our own government structure.
  • Rdtourist 2012/12/11 14:43:06
    Rdtourist
    +2
    Mixed feelings on this one, on the one hand, the average age is slowly increasing and the state of health is also tracking, so it implies that the age of support with Medicare should also track.

On the same topic; funding health club memberships, enhanced medication support, eyeglasses, dental coverage and hearing care should be available under Medicare ONLY if paid for by the recipients, not as a subterfuge to enrich insurance companies under the guise of an entitlement program called Medicare Advantage. Most Americans do not realize the incredible ripoff that Advantage is to the tax payer, any program that can INCREASE the benefit and yet rebate costs to subscribers HAS to have a golden lining for the sponsors, and a great cost to someone to fund it, that is YOU and me, the taxpayer,.
  • Oltom Rdtourist 2012/12/11 20:48:43
    Oltom
    I have medicare and I have to pay for vision,dental and hearing!
  • mountai... Oltom 2012/12/12 13:31:23
    mountainman
    +1
    That is what is said. It sounds to me like you have to become involved in a program called Medicare Advantage, at an increased cost to you.
  • Oltom mountai... 2012/12/13 05:11:33
    Oltom
    Yes I know that,but can't afford to do that!
  • Rdtourist mountai... 2013/01/02 00:04:13
    Rdtourist
    +1
    At a LESSOR cost to the consumer, many of these insurance scams against the government rebate $100 or so to the consumer and provide the spas, eye care, dental care and hearing care at NO extra cost to the consumer and actually have enhanced medication programs.

PS, went through this war with my mother a few years ago, our county was NOT eligible for Medicare Advantage due to weird rules, the next county over had all these addons and actually paid less overall. I became good at Canada drugs and other systems for her until her death. Now the Advantage plans are more available but NOT 100%. I find it odd that he upper echelon of Medicare recipients DO have Medicare Advantage plans, altogether too many poorer or under informed do not, really sad that the poorer ones pay more for their services.
  • santa6642 2012/12/11 11:37:48
    santa6642
    +4
    Cut obamanationcare and Medicaid.instead
  • STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL 2012/12/11 02:05:39
    STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL
    +3
    This is just a token solution that the government has already been doing. The plain and simple truth is that current liabilities of Social Security, Medicare, and Medicare top $60 trillion, and these systems have no assets (other than special issue treasuries, which can't be paid off unless we mass monetize and destroy the dollar). Further, the federal government possesses no Article 1, Section 8 federally enumerated power to even operate entitlement systems, so all of these systems are illegal. The only real solution is to grandfather those in or near retirement under the current formula, and phase the systems out for younger people. E.g., 90% of current formula if you are currently age 60, 80% if you are currently age 59, etc.
  • Pearlie... STU~PWC... 2012/12/11 02:13:36
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +2
    That is a great idea too...But No illegals. Why should they have SS when they didn't work as a legal person.
  • STU~PWC... Pearlie... 2012/12/11 03:27:50
  • Pearlie... STU~PWC... 2012/12/11 05:35:57 (edited)
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +2
    Makes us all sick. Pretty soon, people will not work hard..Socialism doesn't work. People work hard...for what?? YOU got the facts and 250.00 billion is a lot of money ...wasted....

I love Christmas lights! They remind me of "the people who voted for Obama......."

They all hang together; half of them don't work, and the ones that do, aren't all that bright!
  • STU~PWC... Pearlie... 2012/12/11 06:15:38
    STU~PWCM~JLA~POTL~AFCL
    +3
    Socialism never works. It collapses when you run out of other peoples' money. The big issue is that unlike the promise of Socialism, where the masses are promised more than they have now, what really happens is that society bifurcates into two classes:

(1) A very wealthy but small cadre of senior government officials, and business CEO's that excel at implementing federal goals (they are given monetary favors by the government).

(2) Everyone else, who each have an "equal right" to have absolutely nothing. Taxes are so high to fund the personal banks accounts of class (1) that class (2) has no incentive to invest or work. This is why socialist nations have such low per capita GDP's.
  • Pearlie... STU~PWC... 2012/12/11 06:39:23
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +1
    YOU are exactly right and Look what is happening.. The Obama voters are yelling out ..Free Obama Phones..but they don't realize we all pay for it.
    They just don't care...More free stuff from Mr. White House Santa..
    See how long that will last and Obama doesn't want to cut back on entitlements cause that is their base...More loser voters. They can't even name the Vice President.....I am not kidding..
  • #Justic... Pearlie... 2012/12/12 01:51:42
    #Justice4Trayvon 629 BLOCKT CONS
    +2
    Thanks for letting me know how you feel Pearl. I guess I was naive in thinking I could have conservative friends.
  • Old Salt 2012/12/10 22:17:31 (edited)
  • doofieg... Old Salt 2012/12/10 23:11:56
  • Old Salt doofieg... 2012/12/11 19:55:58
  • Pearlie... Old Salt 2012/12/11 01:40:04
    Pearlie Momi♥Patriot Warrior♥
    +2
    Oh MY Goodness...Agree they are Fools...and big Cowards....They all Suck big time.
  • Petrifi... Old Salt 2012/12/11 16:19:51
    PetrifiedElephantPoop
    +1
    Seriously???
  • Old Salt Petrifi... 2012/12/11 19:57:15
  • terry.cooper.79462 2012/12/10 20:59:16
    terry.cooper.79462
    The problem with cost are not the people who have worked all their lives and paid into Medicare it's all the people that keep stealing from it like Congress, they have been raping the coffers of SS and Medicare since before Clinton was in office. Clinton borrowed and borrowed big, that is how he balanced the budget.

Let them pay back the money they borrowed we'll be fine. Don't penalize the people that are financing your out of control spending spree, we might just bite back.
  • Old Salt terry.c... 2012/12/10 23:06:38
  • Frank 2012/12/10 20:51:17
    Frank
    +3
    I have a good idea how to save money, and not cut anything.. Congressmen and Senators when they retire should be required to live on Social Security, and get Medicare Quit giving taxpayer money to every twobit grant request that soes or solves absolutely nothing.
  • Old Salt Frank 2012/12/10 22:59:25

2014/10/31 05:42:16