PUBLIC OPINION > 'Silent Hill' Video Games Are the Scariest

SodaHead Gaming 2011/11/01 20:43:09
We hope your Halloween was as hair-raising and horrifying as a night spent playing "Fatal Frame" with the lights off -- and we mean that in the best way possible. But "Fatal Frame" (our personal favorite) didn't manage to grab the top spot in our Scariest Video Game poll. That honor went to "Silent Hill," Konami's legendary psychotic survival horror.

Of course, it was impossible to list all of the scary games out there, so we had to limit our choices to just a few popular titles, and we did regretfully leave out one important pick from our list of options, but we'll get to that in a second. Even with the "Other" option, the clear winner in this poll was "Silent Hill."

What Is the Scariest Video Game Ever?

silent hill 3 boss

31% Were Most Freaked Out by 'Silent Hill'

Does it really come as a surprise? The "Silent Hill" series has been knocking down even the sturdiest horror aficionados for well over a decade, and the series just keeps getting weirder. While "Resident Evil" and "Fatal Frame" pit you against traditional monsters like zombies and ghosts, "Silent Hill" literally pits you against nightmares.

Your enemies range from the notorious Pyramid Head, who drags a six-foot blade and sodomizes mannequins, to two-faced baby monsters, who walk on their hands and cry when you attack them. Unless you've got nerves of steel, you'll want to keep the lights and your friends close while you play any of the games in this effed-up series.

scariest games

But this recap would not be complete without a glance at some of the "Other" selections. Instead of digging into the demographics like usual, we went through user comments to flesh out the ones we should have included as options. It just wouldn't be fair without them.

"Amnesia: The Dark Descent"

There was only one other game that stood out as a possible contender for scariest game ever. "Amnesia" got loads of support, and fans were adamant that it was not only worthy of the list, but worthy of the top spot. One wrote, "Amnesia: The Dark Descent is hands-down the most pants-s---ingly frightening game EVER. If you don't believe me, you obviously haven't played it."

"Dead Space"

Another series that came up several times was "Dead Space." Aesthetically, "Dead Space" and "Dead Space 2" are reminiscent of "System Shock" and "Half-Life." Basically, the series is a futuristic sci-fi take on the classic zombie infection plot. One commenter wrote, "Kinda reminds me of Alien. On a home theater system, the atmosphere, gruesome deaths and screams are bone chilling." However, these games also had their critics.

"Left 4 Dead"

Finally, we had to throw in a shout-out for "Left 4 Dead." How did we forget this little gem? Granted, the game (and its practically identical sequel) is so fast-paced and action-packed that we usually don't have time to get scared, but when you've got to creep through a corn field with the nearby sobbing of zombie witches coming from every direction, nerves get real fragile real quick. Oh, and clowns. It's got clowns.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll for the scariest video game ever. We'd love to hear from you!

• kyra.paquet 2012/03/31 15:49:27
    kyra.paquet
    +3
    I've played / watched a LOT of Horror games get played, Silent Hill creeped me out the most I'll admit...YES it creeped me out MORE then F.E.A.R (( which in my opinion wasn't all that great of a game, )) AND Amnesia (( Although I did accidentally slap my friend when I stepped into something while I wasn't paying attention...but other then that, I didn't get all that scared from it...good game though )) Resident Evil had me screaming the most though, no thanks to the random jump scares ((as well as certain glitches that caused Dr. Salvador to form out of the wall behind me while I was fighting off another one, that was the loudest I've ever screamed )) Haunting Grounds was a good one too, (( sometimes it got a little annoying with constantly having to lose the pursuers and hiding for long periods of times. )) But if I were to vote, I'd up vote Silent Hill most definitely, because the music is great, the monsters are pretty original (( some are questionable and half assed, but that might be just me, )) and the story is pretty interesting. The characters are all lovable, (( well the main characters are )) the different endings make you want to play more, it has it's humor moments (( Dog ending, most of the UFO endings ...the elevator game show, )) But most of all, it has the fac...
    I've played / watched a LOT of Horror games get played, Silent Hill creeped me out the most I'll admit...YES it creeped me out MORE then F.E.A.R (( which in my opinion wasn't all that great of a game, )) AND Amnesia (( Although I did accidentally slap my friend when I stepped into something while I wasn't paying attention...but other then that, I didn't get all that scared from it...good game though )) Resident Evil had me screaming the most though, no thanks to the random jump scares ((as well as certain glitches that caused Dr. Salvador to form out of the wall behind me while I was fighting off another one, that was the loudest I've ever screamed )) Haunting Grounds was a good one too, (( sometimes it got a little annoying with constantly having to lose the pursuers and hiding for long periods of times. )) But if I were to vote, I'd up vote Silent Hill most definitely, because the music is great, the monsters are pretty original (( some are questionable and half assed, but that might be just me, )) and the story is pretty interesting. The characters are all lovable, (( well the main characters are )) the different endings make you want to play more, it has it's humor moments (( Dog ending, most of the UFO endings ...the elevator game show, )) But most of all, it has the factor that I love most, and that's the things that'll make you say WTF, and leave you stumped while you're staring at the screen trying to figure out what just happened. For ANYONE who loves the series I HIGHLY recommend Silent Hill Downpour!! It's AMAZING!! For all the vet players, out there, they brought back what makes Silent Hill...it's the most mind boggling one yet (( in my opinion)) and it's so well made I suggest EVERY horror fan pick up a copy and play it, it's scarier then the other ones too (( again this is MY opinion ^^; )) and it has a feature that the other games didn't. Hopefully Book of Memories will be just as satisfying :) okay I think I'm done

• kyra.paquet 2012/03/31 15:49:27
    kyra.paquet
    +3
  • Jarl01 2011/11/05 09:35:31
    Jarl01
    everytime I come on Sodahead there's a thread where I have to post this:

Call OF Cthulhu xbox
  • Açorda 2011/11/02 20:29:41
  • Noobcake Açorda 2011/11/03 02:05:36
    Noobcake
    I loled too. Because I thought I was the only one who found Minecraft scary.

I guess I will have to share my title of "World's Wussiest Gamer".
  • Açorda Noobcake 2011/11/06 14:16:33
    Açorda
    I know it can get kind of scary in the pich dark, with the creepers around, but on the top scariest games? Come on... it can't be.

That's a very nice comment you've got there, it would be a shame if anything happened to it.
    creeper
  • nat75 2011/11/02 20:02:55
    nat75
    im such a wuss but when i was younger and playing resident evil for the first time it scared me often especially when i had to shot the big spiders (phobia of spiders lol)
  • Ben 2011/11/02 18:24:32
    Ben
    I need to check and see if Silent Hill is on Xbox360. I haven't played any of them since Silent Hill 2 (PS2.) I love the series.
  • mgwynn224 2011/11/02 16:10:58
    mgwynn224
    Left For Dead is only scary when the volume is up loud. Or maybe if you have a big screen TV. But I should have gotten "Silent Hill" yesterday instead of "Bully" lol
  • david shiel 2011/11/02 15:15:19
    david shiel
    Deeper folks.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2011/11/02 13:34:57
  • James 2011/11/02 12:08:47
  • Ego Death 2011/11/02 10:47:45
    Ego Death
    It's amongst the scarier ones but has nothing on F.E.A.R..
  • FRESH P... Ego Death 2011/11/02 17:26:29
  • Jenn the Psycho 2011/11/02 05:07:01
    Jenn the Psycho
    +1
    Kudos for Amnesia: The Dark Descent. This is the game Silent Hill WISHES it could be.

However, it is SAD to see Fatal Frame so LOW on the list. Sad, sad, SAD!!

Those clueless about it - turn your lights off, sit with your computer in the dark, alone, and look up gameplay footage of it on Youtube, preferably from the beginning, and watch it full screen with volume turned up, or headphones will work too.

You WILL freak out. In my opinion, it was scarier than any Silent Hill.

fatal frame

fatal frame

fatal frame

fatal frame

fatal frame
  • John Michaels 2011/11/02 04:17:21
    John Michaels
    +3
    I think all of your opinions are awesome happy
  • ToxicChili John Mi... 2011/11/02 10:44:16
    ToxicChili
    What even mine? Thanks :-)
  • John Mi... ToxicChili 2011/11/03 01:14:12
  • runningintriangles 2011/11/02 03:54:28
    runningintriangles
    Still sending my vote over the Amnesia, Silent Hill has NOTHING Amnesia as far as scary goes... anyone who says otherwise clearly HASN'T played Amnesia.
  • mgwynn224 running... 2011/11/02 16:12:18
    mgwynn224
    What does Amnesia have?
  • running... mgwynn224 2011/11/02 17:57:50
    runningintriangles
    Everything you want out of a game in the horror genre. Silent Hill is child's play compared to Amnesia.
  • Astro-Boy PHAET 2011/11/02 03:27:20
    Astro-Boy PHAET
    +1
    I voted for Silent Hill...I'm a majority! lol
  • Loctia 2011/11/02 03:25:04
    Loctia
    Left 4 Dead does not have clowns - you're thinking of Left 4 Dead 2.
  • ♥Rawr♥ 2011/11/02 02:02:03
    ♥Rawr♥
    +1
    Ok..i no this is off topic,but is silent hill the movie good??
  • Breakin... ♥Rawr♥ 2011/11/02 02:14:20
    BreakingThrough
    +1
    Yes it is if you like the genre! :]
  • mgwynn224 ♥Rawr♥ 2011/11/02 16:11:54
    mgwynn224
    It's kind of disturbing from what I remember. But I think that was Silent Hill 2.
  • KB 2011/11/02 01:22:10
    KB
    +1
    Silent Hill is scary, don't get me wrong, but over Amnesia and Nightmare House 2? Really?
  • running... KB 2011/11/02 03:55:46
    runningintriangles
    Silent Hill is more "mainstream," perhaps. I'm definitely with you, I can't even play Amnesia at night, haha, but I think those who think Silent Hill is the scariest probably haven't played many games in the horror genre.
  • Chris Von Savage 2011/11/02 01:18:49
    Chris Von Savage
    The only game that I have had to play some Mario kart afterwards in order to get my pulse down has been Condemned. The 1st, not the sequel.
  • Vulcade 2011/11/02 01:15:48
  • merlin 2011/11/02 01:04:57 (edited)
    merlin
    I would have to say the scariest game that i have ever played would have been? can i have a drum roll please. (PHANTASMAGORIA)

• Jacker The Capper 2011/11/02 00:43:04
    Jacker The Capper
    Hahaha theres a penis sticking out of his chest!! lol.
  • Larson Whipsnade 2011/11/02 00:37:47 (edited)
  • Larson ... Larson ... 2011/11/02 00:47:25
  • PяєттyYσυиgTнiиg 2011/11/02 00:14:36
    PяєттyYσυиgTнiиg
    +2
    Yup. I could never play "Sillent Hill" alone. The music was enough to scare me.
  • Larson ... PяєттyY... 2011/11/02 00:44:59
    Larson Whipsnade
    +4
    I always thought it reminded me of "Call of Cthulhu"
    cthulhu
  • PяєттyY... Larson ... 2011/11/02 00:47:19
    PяєттyYσυиgTнiиg
    +1
    I don't think I've ever heard about that. What is that?
  • Larson ... PяєттyY... 2011/11/02 00:49:52
    Larson Whipsnade
    +2
    a series of horror stories by the late HP Lovecraft. Lovecraft was himself a mental patient, and insanity plays a huge part in his stories. they are really creepy and full of grotesque monsters
    lovecraft
  • PяєттyY... Larson ... 2011/11/02 01:02:58
    PяєттyYσυиgTнiиg
    +1
    Interesting. The picture of that creature gave me an idea of the 'grotesque monsters' and it isn't even that scary...
  • Larson ... PяєттyY... 2011/11/02 01:07:39
  • PяєттyY... Larson ... 2011/11/02 01:08:58
    PяєттyYσυиgTнiиg
    +1
    Wow. Now I am impressed.

2014/04/19 04:36:25