PUBLIC OPINION > Led Zeppelin Should Have Gotten a Grammy

Music 2012/02/10 14:00:00
Diana Ross will be receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award at this year's Grammy Awards, despite never having won a Grammy. She's been nominated twelve times, won a Tony for "An Evening With Diana Ross," and in 1993 set the world record for most successful female music artist in history... But she doesn't have a Grammy. On that note, Yahoo! brought up a handful of legendary musicians and bands who never won a Grammy: Buddy Holly, Janis Joplin, The Beach Boys, the list goes on. We asked SodaHeads who deserved one the most.

Music Legends Who Never Got a Grammy: Who Deserved It Most?

31% Say Led Zeppelin Deserved a Grammy

A lot of respondents were shocked to find out that Led Zeppelin -- and the rest of them, for that matter -- had never won a Grammy. Although, to be fair, it's not like the Grammys always get it right. One commenter noted, "It kinda goes to show that you don't really need [a Grammy] to go down in history as a musical god(dess)." Not only has Led Zeppelin never won a Grammy... They've only been nominated once. For Best New Artist. Justin Bieber has been nominated for Best New Artist. 'Nuff said. However, they did have two albums (Led Zeppelin and Led Zeppelin IV) and two songs ("Stairway to Heaven" and "Whole Lotta Love") elected into the Grammy Hall of Fame, but the Recording Academy didn't recognize them until the 21st century. Pity.

Conservatives Claim the Beach Boys

Not everyone picked Led Zeppelin. For instance, 32% of conservatives picked The Beach Boys, compared to just 12% of liberals. Even thought Rolling Stone listed "Pet Sounds" as the second-greatest album of all time, it didn't receive a single nomination. In fact, nothing The Beach Boys did got a nomination. Brian Wilson did nab a win in 2004, though. Not a big one (Best Rock Instrumental for "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow"), but a Grammy nonetheless.

Smokers Support Bob Marley

Like the majority, smokers pumped most of their support into Led Zeppelin. But reggae legend Bob Marley was only 4% behind, which leads us to wonder what kind of smoke we're talking about here. Like many of the others on the list, Marley was never nominated. However, a documentary about his life ("Rebel Music") did receive a nomination for Best Music Video, Long Form in 2002 -- more than 20 years after his death.

Others on the Grammys

A lot of the "Other" choices either suggested they all deserve a Grammy, or that the Grammys shouldn't be used to judge an artist's ability. Other choices included Three Dog Night, Rush, and the B-52's. There were also some votes for Eminem and the Beatles, but they have, like, a lot of Grammys.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our original poll about legends who haven't won Grammys. We'd love to hear from you!

• Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2012/02/18 21:33:48
  • TheTruth1313 2012/02/13 07:15:48
    TheTruth1313
    +3
    The fact that the Beatles and Led Zep do not have Grammys, is even more proof that the entire institution is an absolute joke. Were I in a band, I think I would take it as an insult were I ever to "win" a grammy.
  • M and Emma 2012/02/13 06:44:40
    M and Emma
    +1
    Yeah, I think they definitely should have, but the Beach Boys are deserving as well.
  • mia 2012/02/13 05:13:37
    mia
    +3
    No they suck!!!!!!!!!!!
  • John Mi... mia 2012/02/13 14:33:57
    John Minatree Jr
    +2
    How can anyone say that Led Zepplin sucks? Do you know anything of music at all?
  • OzSurfer John Mi... 2012/02/13 22:32:23
    OzSurfer
    Judging by the profile I think it's just a sock or a troll.
  • Yueshalom La Más Bonita 2012/02/13 03:49:20
    Yueshalom La Más Bonita
    no way they just dont deserve it
  • AvaC 2012/02/13 02:21:00
    AvaC
    +1
    Their biggest award is the fact that their music has passed on from generation to generation.

Just listen to this... AMAZING! :)
  • hasher 2012/02/13 01:56:46
    hasher
    +1
    this is why i dont watch awards shows. most of them are dumb and the deserving people never get picked. led zeppelin definitely deserved the award.
  • Mindlesspartyhack 2012/02/13 01:43:17
  • Keen Tojones 2012/02/13 00:04:31 (edited)
    Keen Tojones
    +1
    You won't find any rock music better than Led Zeppelin's. Their music is the creme de la creme of rock music. Further the natural creativity of the band members is always evident...As in, they didn't go into a garage and try to bang out somebody else's music.

• the_old_coach 2012/02/12 23:19:12
    the_old_coach
    +2
    It's the same gripe I have about groups that haven't made it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. "Led Zeppelin without a Grammy" is the same nonsense as "YES is not in the R&R; HoF."
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/02/12 22:52:56
    Christopher Kirchen
    Hell yeah, even if their music wasn't as awesome as it was, they were arguably the first Metal band, so for that alone they should get SOME mention.
  • Heather 2012/02/12 22:25:33
    Heather
    Yes, thu should have
  • Charu ∞ijm♥∞ 2012/02/12 22:00:43
    Charu ∞ijm♥∞
    I am not into the award shows, personally I think all of them are great! :)
  • Brian Tristan MacQuillan 2012/02/12 21:23:47
    Brian Tristan MacQuillan
    +3
    The Grammys are a joke. Who were they giving Grammys out to in 1968 to 1979? No need for the Grammys to be relavant, because they are not, and never have been.

Come to think of it, Rolling Stone Magazine did not have much use for Led Zeppelin either, when the group was making music (except for Cameron Crowe). And that magazine is pretty damn irrelavant. when it comes to music.

I say, let the music morons twist in the wind, what the heck would Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones want a Grammy for? A door stop? These guys ruled the world, and no artist since Elvis, has fans that act like they are still active as a band.
    Led Zeppelin award

Not one bad studio album
    Not one bad song
    Great vocals
    Great guitars
    Great bass, and keyboards
    Great drums
    More than the sum of its parts
    LED ZEPPELIN
  • don nh 460 2012/02/12 21:08:31
    don nh 460
    +3
    one of many influential bands. L.Z. was ground breaking and became an icon for a generation. Do you really need a "trophy" to back it up? houses of the holy
  • Pet Rock Whisperer 2012/02/12 18:35:09
    Pet Rock Whisperer
    I was never a big fan of Zep! There's a cpl tunes I like but there is a mountain of hype and injustice with that band. IMHO (though unpopular) Page is an overrated hack and John Paul Jones has never received the recognition due as a great bassist and best songwriter of the band.
    Though many musicians are often very competitive, I don't feel music is a competition. Music is music. So awards to me, have very little meaning at all.
  • erectimus_prime 2012/02/12 18:32:44
    erectimus_prime
    +1
    dude, this article = <3
    also, i like how bob marley was in the top 3 haha(:
  • Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of ... 2012/02/12 17:56:02
    Ruby Dear - The Fangirl of PHAET
    +1
    Led Zeppelin thought Americans were a bunch of idiots. I doubt they'd be too cut up about never winning an American music award.
  • Brad # 2486547 2012/02/12 15:06:18
    Brad # 2486547
    +2
    Yes they should have received multiple grammys. The Beach Boys should have received a Grammy as well.
  • Miss_Metalgirl 2012/02/12 13:49:08
    Miss_Metalgirl
    +2
    On one hand, I agree, Led Zeppelin( and many more) deserve Grammys more than 3/4 the idiots who get them!
    But on the other hand, Led Zeppelin are way to awesome to land on the same level with those freaks and I think as long as we, the fans know that they are way better, it doesn't really matter if they get any or not. If, then they'd have to get ALL OF THEM!
  • Huntclan 2012/02/12 09:42:06
    Huntclan
    +1
    It depends... We need to look at how many of each sex and ethnic group have received Grammys and distribute them according to their representation with regards to the population as a whole.
  • hellokitty 2012/02/12 09:05:49
    hellokitty
    +1
    True legends deserve the recognition and Led Zepplin are most definitely one!
  • Chris 2012/02/12 08:04:15
    Chris
    I mostly like rock music, but I could never get into Led Zeppelin... Stairway to Heaven was ok though.
  • OnyxRaven 2012/02/12 04:46:04 (edited)
    OnyxRaven
    +3
    Funny how Led Zeppelin never received a grammy, but is still recognized as one of the most influential bands of all time, whereas today grammys are handed out to all sorts of 'artists' who will be forgotten in five years time. Sad, isn't it?
  • keeper 2012/02/12 03:28:49 (edited)
  • issac-janee 2012/02/12 03:19:33
    issac-janee
    +16
    noooooooo
  • some idiot who thinks he kn... 2012/02/12 02:44:56
    some idiot who thinks he knows everything
    Buddy Holly should have won that vote. Because he influenced all the bands and artists, that influenced the world.
  • Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +1
    Led Zeppelin was too good to get a Grammy. Grammy are for pop stars
  • Calvin Harris ✌ 2012/02/12 01:56:51 (edited)
    Calvin Harris ✌
    +1
    I saw in a website how they stole several songs.... so, no. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but I thought Buddy Holly deserved it more. He influenced A LOT of musicians such as Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, and THE BEATLES when he didn't even have a music career longer than 5 years... Buddy Holly gets my vote.

Here's the link to the list of the songs Led Zeppelin stole:
    http://www.warr.org/zep.html
  • MinaM8 2012/02/12 01:40:25
    MinaM8
    +2
    Led Zeppelin is undoubtedly the legendary legend of legendary rock.
  • whispering hands 2012/02/12 01:30:39
    whispering hands
    +1
    Led Zeppelin deserves every great thing in the world ever. I love them so much.
  • wamcalif 2012/02/11 21:17:38
    wamcalif
    +2
    It just goes to disqualify the Grammy Awards as a relevant judge of good music. I actually have to research this myself, because I cannot believe some those artists were not given at least a lifetime award.
  • Stryder wamcalif 2012/02/11 21:39:47 (edited)
    Stryder
    +2
    Same as the Oscars. I've seen movies that nobody saw that won Best Picture. Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan as one example. (Seriously?)
  • peggy 2012/02/11 20:38:20
    peggy
    +2
    Well they dont make music like that anymore. Most of todays music are just remakes of the 60's and 70' s. I don't know who got grammys and who didn't it was about the tunes back then. J.Joplin and Hedrix probaly didnt get squat either. But for the history of music some sort of recogniztion would be nice.
  • Amy.[: 2012/02/11 19:24:14
    Amy.[:
    Bob Marley's cooler...
  • Krissy 2012/02/11 19:08:14
    Krissy
    they didnt???
  • mwf122090 2012/02/11 18:47:29
    mwf122090
    +2
    There are so many people who deserve awards that never get them. Whether it's the Grammy's, Oscar's, Tony's, or Emmy's. You see it happen all the time.
  • Mariana Carrera Rodriguez 2012/02/11 18:14:25
    Mariana Carrera Rodriguez
    +1
    hell yeah!!! not that is needed of course

2014/11/21 19:17:55