PUBLIC OPINION > 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire' Is the Most Anticipated Movie of 2013

Film 2012/08/28 22:00:00
Next year is still a few months away, but there are already a handful of exciting movies on the horizon for 2013. We've got a healthy selection of superhero movies, including the third "Iron Man" installment, as well as sequels to "Star Trek" and "The Hunger Games." There's also an intriguing samurai flick called "47 Ronin" due out next year. Our friends at Ranker wanted to know which movie was getting the most buzz from the public.

"Catching Fire," "Iron Man 3," and "47 Ronin" all came pretty close, but the sequel to last year's "Hunger Games" eked out a 3% win. It shouldn't come as a surprise, since the hype from the first movie hasn't had time to settle. It's also likely benefiting from the same force as "Harry Potter" and "Twilight": books. Whether fans read the book before or after seeing the movie, it's too late now. The hook's in deep.

Girls Love 'The Hunger Games'

"Hunger Games" isn't quite as girly as, say, "Twilight," but it does seem to attract the girls a lot more than guys. When we broke down the responses by gender, we found that female voters were more than three times as likely to pick "Catching Fire." Nearly half of them (48%) picked it compared to just 15% of males.

No 'Star Trek' for the Next Generation

Despite the overwhelmingly positive response to J.J. Abrams' 2009 "Star Trek" film, there was very little interest in the sequel. At first we thought maybe the films were just spaced too far apart, and hype had died down. However, when we looked at the age breakdown we realized it was primarily young people who ignored it. Only 9% of teens were interested.

Second Opinion: 'Man of Steel'

Of course, those aren't the only four films coming out in 2013. In fact, the Top Opinion wasn't a vote for any of them. It was for "Man of Steel," the long-awaited Superman movie directed by Zack Snyder of "300" and "Watchmen" fame, starring Henry Cavill.

If you'd like to vote on this question, dig deeper into the demographics, or engage in existing discussion about the topic, visit our poll about 2013 movies. We'd love to hear from you!

• duns 2012/08/31 02:30:57
    duns
    +1
    I'D RATHER WATCH EITHER IRON MAN 3 OR 47 RONIN.
  • Skylaris Alanis 2012/08/31 00:02:18
    Skylaris Alanis
    yerpp. i'm excited for Iron Man 2 though ^_^
  • Aingean 2012/08/30 20:34:19
    Aingean
    I'll see it. I liked the first one. I am almost done with the second book, IMO it isnt as good as the first.
  • Cal 2012/08/30 19:22:01
    Cal
    Hunger Games = meh. Just another teen fad. These fads are killing Hollywood.
  • angelica Cal 2012/09/04 23:03:06
    angelica
    The books are actually very well written -unlike twilight
    And have some very interesting social commentary - unlike twilight! lol

I've read all the books for both (I'm a big reader) and twilight sucks and is a terrible role model for teenage girls, whereas hunger games posed some interesting questions and also looked at the complexities of love, war and integrity.
    It may be a fad, but it deserves to have some fame.
  • Garland Bennett 2012/08/30 18:34:35
    Garland Bennett
    Right now, from where it stands. I rather see the Hobbit or Resident Evil 5 than...ugh...the Hunger Games. Not even going to go into detail of why I like it. I mean outside of being a battle royale/Robin Hood rip off, it just doesn't have that good vs. evil that makes a timeless classic that I would remember from time to time, like the Harry Potter series were in itself.
  • angelica Garland... 2012/09/04 23:03:43
    angelica
    Have you read the books? How is it NOT good versus evil?
  • SB FLA 2012/08/30 17:32:39
    SB FLA
    +1
    Yawn. The movie sucked and of course I will see the next one when it hits pay per view for $3 and I have watched all the other movies first. I sure hope the next one is better than the first.
  • belinda baardsen 2012/08/30 16:49:25
    belinda baardsen
    +1
    I read the book, watched the movie - and they were both spot on awesome!
  • Squiddie 2012/08/30 16:29:46
    Squiddie
    meh not a fan of the hunger games
    looking forward to iron man and star trek
  • Black_Rose 2012/08/30 14:58:37 (edited)
    Black_Rose
    +2
    I'm not really anticipating for it to come out. I read the books and they were good, but they made a lot of changes in the first movie that I didn't particularly care for. I am interested in who will be playing Finnick though, and I do hope the rumors are true about Tony Shalhoub playing Beetee. Maybe then, I will change my mind about it.
  • sally Black_Rose 2012/09/03 02:23:11
    sally
    +1
    Oh my god me too! I could totally see Tony Shalhoub as Beetee. Oh and Sam Chalfin (something like that) is Finnick. I'm kinda sad Garrett Hedlund isn't playing him but I've been pretty pleased with the other choices so far.
  • Black_Rose sally 2012/09/04 13:23:01
    Black_Rose
    Same here! For Beetee, I'm happy with either Tony Shallhoub or Michael Emerson. I can defintiely see Sam Clafflin playing Finnick! I'm alright with some of the other choices lol.
  • angelica Black_Rose 2012/09/04 23:05:28
    angelica
    Which changes didn't you like? I personally thought they stuck to it quite well for the time limit, but I'm interested to hear which bits you didn't like. (Book-club style question, not accusing die-hard-fan style question ;-) )
  • Black_Rose angelica 2012/09/05 14:46:42
    Black_Rose
    +1
    I guess it was okay with the time limit. I still think they could have kept certain things, and made it a 3hr movie instead to add more. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the movie, but in my opinion the book is much better. It suits adults, where as the movie is more for younger viewers.

I apologize in advance for my list being super long. (I have more, these are just the things that came first to mind)

1) Butterscotch was the incorrect color (Not a big deal, but still bugged me)

2) Madge wasn't even mentioned/seen, and didn't give Katniss the Mockingjay pin, she obtained it a different way (Huge change for me)

3) Haymitch wasn't at the reaping, and wasn't seen falling off the stage. (It would have been funny to see, but not a big deal)

4) She didn't get to speak to Peeta's father, or obtain the cookies. (Again, not as big of a deal, but would have been nice to see)

5) There was no Avox girl. (The Avox story shows that people are attempting to flee the government, and that Katniss is haunted by not helping when she was younger.)

6) When Peeta admits his love for Katniss she pushes him and he cuts his hand on glass. In the movie he's fine. (They lost a bit of Katniss continually misinterpreting Peeta’s actions.)

7) The deaths went by way to fast. (Understandable, because of the movie...

7) The deaths went by way to fast. (Understandable, because of the movie time limit)

8) During the games, Katniss was suffering from dehydration for days, but during the movie when she was searching for water, she found it almost instantly.

9) In the book, Katniss meets Rue while bathing in a stream. In the movie, she meets Rue after awakening covered with leaves. Also, Rue tells her about District 11 in the book.

10) Katniss didn't go deaf during the explosion, and it didn't fully show the Capitol's futuristic healing

11) After Rue's death, Katniss didn't recieve the District 11 bread. (To me, it was a big change, because the gift gradually shows other districts coming around to Katniss’ heroism)

12) In the book, when Katniss is looking for Peeta in the stream, she yells out "Peeta!" and Peeta answers "You here to finish me off, sweetheart?", before she finds him wounded. In the movie, she just finds him camouflaged when he grabs her boot. (It would have been cute if they would have just kept it like the book)

13) n the book, Katniss mentions kissing Peeta many times to manipulate the viewing audience. In the movie, other than a quick peck on the cheek from Katniss, we only see them kiss once

14) The Wolf life Muttations were nothing like they described, or how I imagined they'd look. They didn't look like the reincarnations of the tributes, and weren't intelligent like they said in the book.

15) Peeta didn't lose his leg, like he was supposed to.

16)The movie brushed over the fact that Katniss was pretending to love Peeta, and Peeta was not. In the book Peeta was heartbroken, in the movie, he just seemed to brush it off.

12.
  • Larre 2012/08/30 14:41:26
    Larre
    +1
    Indeed. Catching Fire is gonna be good. I have a friend who's reading the book right now. Just shows that there is a much larger storyline than just what happened during the first movie (and book), The Hunger Games. (Warning, the book may contain spoilers).
  • TylerDurden 2012/08/30 14:30:23
    TylerDurden
    +9
    I am waiting for Blade 4: blade4
  • Scravity 2012/08/30 09:10:21
    Scravity
    +1
    I stopped reading the first Hunger Games book when it got to the part where she spent multiple chapters up a tree. I understand she's trying to hide from the others that have formed a group, but I stop reading a book when the action takes way too long to move along. What can I say, I'm impatient. :P
  • Black_Rose Scravity 2012/08/30 14:57:44
    Black_Rose
    +2
    When the actual killings begin, it gets pretty good. I got bored with it after the first few chapters. Then my cousin told me to give it a chance. When I finally reached the Games and fighting part, was when I couldn't put it down.
  • Manster Scravity 2012/08/30 18:24:39
    Manster
    +3
    Then the final book,"Mockingjay" is the one for you! That book was so full of action and twists and turns that I could barely put it down,and by the time it got to the conclusion, I was worn out as if I'd been in action with them! :-)
  • ♣♦Miss ... Manster 2012/08/30 19:46:08
    ♣♦Miss Cellophane♥♠
    +2
    Personally, Mockingjay was the worse out of the trilogy...
  • Manster ♣♦Miss ... 2012/08/31 00:01:14
    Manster
    I'm sorry that you didn't like it,but it's what the whole thing was leading up to from the start,the inevitable revolution that had to come!
  • ♣♦Miss ... Manster 2012/08/31 00:16:10
    ♣♦Miss Cellophane♥♠
    +1
    But Katniss throughout it was just so... Annoying. Ugh ><
  • Manster ♣♦Miss ... 2012/08/31 13:23:27
    Manster
    +1
    We have to remember that she was only a teenager who wound up with a huge burden being put upon her that she was really clueless about coping with.She understood that Gale and Peeta were far better suited to be leaders far more than she was. Angst during a time of revolution is not a good mix!
  • ♣♦Miss ... Manster 2012/08/31 15:28:06
    ♣♦Miss Cellophane♥♠
    +1
    Wouldn't she have dealt with that trauma at least during Catching Fire, though?
  • Manster ♣♦Miss ... 2012/08/31 15:57:48 (edited)
    Manster
    You would think so,but she was busy trying to make sure that Peeta was gonna make it out of President Snow's deathtrap even if it meant her giving up her own life to save Peeta. She was pretty much just trying to deal with that,rather than contemplate how she could be the focal point of a revolution.
  • Matt 2012/08/30 08:57:39
    Matt
    mabye I really need to read the book series to properly appreciate the hunger games hype... I saw the film and thought it was pretty ordinary - the hunt-to-the-death-with-the-la... thing has been done over and over again...
  • Boo! 2012/08/30 08:26:14
    Boo!
    +1
    YAY.... Happy Hunger games..... May the Odds be ever in your favour! *Insert Effies voice here*
  • y so serious 2012/08/30 07:54:08
    y so serious
    +1
    A movie with her in it is the most anticipated?

Oh ho ho! Go on!

Jennifer Lawerence hot Jennifer Lawerence red
    http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/i...
  • Super ludum 2012/08/30 06:52:47
  • Scravity Super l... 2012/08/30 09:11:49
    Scravity
    +3
    And exactly my kind of book.
  • Manster Scravity 2012/08/30 18:31:37
    Manster
    Have you watched the Asian film, "Battle Royale"? It was made back in 2000 and might have served as an influence to the "Hunger Games",because there are some very close similarities.The difference was that in Battle Royale an entire class of students would be randomly selected and shipped to an isolated island where they fought until there was only one survivor remaining. Battle Royale 1 & 2 are currently available on Netflix instant play, if you have a subscription.
  • angelica Manster 2012/09/04 23:09:05
    angelica
    +1
    Battle Royale definitely had some influence in the hunger games - but an interesting western view of what would happen... the next books get even more interesting.
  • Manster angelica 2012/09/05 15:45:10 (edited)
    Manster
    Thanks for the info! I'll definitely have to look for the Battle Royale books! I've already read the Hunger Games trilogy. battle royale
  • Super l... Scravity 2012/08/30 22:52:56
  • Larre Super l... 2012/08/30 14:56:01
    Larre
    +1
    Indeed. And that is just only the beginning of the trilogy. One has to read the other 2 books to really understand why that kind of sadistic and mortifying activity actually happened in the first place. (warning, contains spoilers!).
  • ~*PoliceGirl*~ (>^-^)> 2012/08/30 04:25:04
    ~*PoliceGirl*~ (>^-^)>
    star trek and hunger games are both awesoeme...............
  • mana kai 2012/08/30 04:22:18
    mana kai
    +2
    star trek sequel is going to be a great movie :) Live long and prosper
  • Becca 2012/08/30 01:19:53
    Becca
    Can't wait!
  • Mateia 2012/08/30 01:13:06
    Mateia
    +1
    Ugh thats hard because they may make another chapter so mayybe

2014/10/23 06:19:54