Prince has banned both YouTube and iTunes from using his music, calling the web "obsolete." Does his approach seem misguided?

mrosen814 2010/07/06 18:39:08
The music industry might be embracing digital and online technology, but Prince is not convinced that it’s a good thing.

"The Internet's completely over,” Prince told British tabloid publication, The Mirror, in his first newspaper interview in 10 years. “I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it.”

Prince is currently set to release his latest album, “20Ten,” for free through various European print media, including the Daily Mirror and its Scottish affiliate, the Daily Record. Fans can snag their copy this Saturday via the different press outlets, but you they certainly won’t find any of the new material online.

Prince has banned both YouTube and iTunes from using his music, calling the web obsolete.

“The Internet's like MTV,” he told the mirror. “At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

Read More: http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/06/prince-the...

• LaBoricua Cubanita 2013/08/08 11:58:23
  • Ditzi 2012/04/25 03:43:44
    Ditzi
    Funny how its always those who are rich and famous that are dillusional & misguided..:)

Prince gets 33% for his music via itunes. Itunes gets 33%, Label 33%,.Apple Gets the rest.Itunes pays 66cents per song sold,$6.60 per album..Currently itunes sell single for around $2 and albums around $12.So prince would be getting 72 cents for a single,$3.95 per album.If he went with itunes.You tube pay 1 cent per view.

If you do the Math A record Label pays for everything but the Artist has to pay it back,Successful or not,before any profit. Also Under the law the person who PAYS for the RECORDING owns the RIGHTS to the RECORDING.And they make 33% from itunes.

I think its a credit to him taking control of his music & releasing his albums via free press rather than having vultures like itunes which in reality is Apple and in particular Billy Gates and you tube get there grubby mits on it.

As for the Internet,of course its not a good thing.Sure it does good things for us but the amount of bad that comes from it around the world out weighs the good.If the Internet vanished tomorrow I wouldn't be sorry at all.:)
  • ChrisGagnon 2010/08/04 06:14:50
    ChrisGagnon
    Ah yes, the internet. Pah! Who uses that ancient tool?!? Stone slabs and chisels is where its at.
  • Mahem Mary 2010/07/19 10:04:33
  • non_sequituur 2010/07/17 15:57:17
    non_sequituur
    I think Prince is acting delusionally.
  • Ziggyortiz 2010/07/17 06:43:55 (edited)
    Ziggyortiz
    First of all it's his music,but personally i think he's the one going to come out losing in these deal. another thing was,nt his name a symbol and no longer Prince.
  • cat 2010/07/16 18:31:44
    cat
    It is what feel right to him that matters when he is the only one who matters in his desision. Win,Lose,or draw it is up to him.
  • Gir 2010/07/16 01:28:15
    Gir
    +1
    I love how Prince thinks he can just control the world's thought process.
  • jb6503 Gir 2010/07/29 16:16:35
    jb6503
    Some of these guys just can't let go
  • AndrewCraddock 2010/07/15 04:13:17
    AndrewCraddock
    Meh, there is always something new on the horizon, doesn't mean that the current in thing is going to be obsolete
  • nini 2010/07/15 01:12:00
    nini
    maybe he feels he is losing money by the interney using his music like he hasnt come out with any new songs lately
  • NickyMooney 2010/07/14 21:03:42
    NickyMooney
    Well certainly he is slightly lost his marbles, but hes... what would you say? classic! I am certain that he has never used a computer or much technology at all! He is old fashioned, like I am sometimes... well, i just want most technology and have a healthier life style :D
  • ILoveMichael.... 2010/07/14 19:35:45
    ILoveMichael....
    I don't get the question but im guessing no he isn't misguided he is a devout Jehovah Witness like me!He just doesn't wanna be in the spotlight anymore because it's not good for his relationship with god.
  • Pieter Joubert 2010/07/14 17:34:23
    Pieter Joubert
    Prince is a misguided being and himself so outdated that any opinion he has carries no weight. Vinyl records and 8 track tape is more his style.
  • Pops 2010/07/13 01:03:26
    Pops
    Has he done anything other than change his name a couple of times in the last 20 years?
    He certainly hasn't done anything of any musical merit.
  • HarleyHerbert 2010/07/12 18:21:22
    HarleyHerbert
    "I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it" - This I see the reasoning for. He doesn't get much money off them and they get angry if he doesn't like it. its understandable that this makes him not want to have his stuff on THOSE sites.
    But to call the internet obsolete is something that can only be caused by one thing: Prince has never used the internet before. And when he said computers "fill your head with numbers", he was just proving that he has never used a computer (and "digital gadgets") before. There's more to computers than numbers (most people don't use stuff with lots of numbers on their computer), and the internet is most certainly not obsolete. The internet is increasing in size, and it's becoming more and more popular. So many things are dependant on it, and it's getting better and more impressive. It's also becoming more useful as people are always finding more uses for the internet, and as the internet grows, so does the potential for more of these uses. It's the total OPPOSITE to obsolete.
  • Super Bitch 2010/07/12 12:45:44
    Super Bitch
    +1
    he needs to get with the times or get left behind
  • SonjaTurner-Montano 2010/07/11 18:35:05
    SonjaTurner-Montano
    Prince has always seemed a bit out of step until the rest of time catches up with him - then he's a visionary. Perhaps he's onto something here. Changes are always afoot.
  • BrianOMally 2010/07/10 13:23:14
    BrianOMally
    prince is the one who should be banned, Newspapers over the internet, wake up.
  • Bandolier 2010/07/10 09:21:54
    Bandolier
    Ditto cowboy's comment.
  • Morningstar 2010/07/10 00:03:52
    Morningstar
    This may prove harmful both in the short term and the long term.

I wonder if i could still use Prince songs at my wedding.
    That is when i find the right woman.
  • ShotGun 2010/07/10 00:01:47
    ShotGun
    +1
    she/he suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
  • ScottiMartinez 2010/07/09 12:46:01 (edited)
    ScottiMartinez
    +1
    Prince needs to just give up, nobody I know listens to his music anymore. He needs to put some clothes on, he looks like a woman, there is nothing sexy about him. He thinks that MTV is outdated?? HE IS OUTDATED! HIS QUOTE "At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you." SINCE WHEN ARE NUMBERS BAD FOR US??? Seriously, is he on drugs??? Maybe took too many hits of Purple Rain Acid or something.
  • HarleyH... ScottiM... 2010/07/12 18:24:21
    HarleyHerbert
    maybe he thinks that drugs can't ever harm people, whereas new stuff does.
  • Deb 2010/07/09 12:02:09 (edited)
    Deb
    Could care less LOL Didn't Prince quit singing before 1999? lolol BTW: WHEN did he go back to "Prince" thought he was still that name you could not pronounce! hahah geez!!
  • bbayles28 2010/07/09 08:51:32
    bbayles28
    +1
    it just goes to show that prince is stuck "in the day" so-to-speak. he has made a bad decision on his part banning his music on the two sites that could save his music from becoming obsolete.
  • NathanPhillips 2010/07/09 03:22:29
    NathanPhillips
    I will say that he will definitely get a niche market with such an approach, and his niche market may be more stable than many web-based ones. However, his reasoning is off. I realize that he is a musical purist and is probably a bit of a Luddite, but gadgets and the internet do anything but fill people's minds with numbers. His understanding of musical instruments is more math than most cellphone users are exposed to.
  • brandiisamazing2 2010/07/08 22:15:02
    brandiisamazing2
    +1
    i think who cares , he is blahhh !
  • Zimt29 2010/07/08 21:49:00
    Zimt29
    +1
    I think YouTube and iTunes will survive without him. And since when is Prince an authority on anything other than his music?
  • day day-ag 2010/07/08 16:07:43
    day day-ag
    his royal highness is misguided. hope he will change his mind. i like his music though..luv u prince, be cool.
  • wandering mystery aka Relch... 2010/07/08 14:47:26
    wandering mystery aka Relcho of Anid
    +1
    He's be a arse
  • Maggi 2010/07/08 13:40:03
    Maggi
    I don't know about MTV, never having an interest in Pop music.
  • hw 2010/07/08 06:19:07
    hw
    Soooo if the net is 'so yesterday' how is the press more 'with it'?!?!? Especially in light of much of the main stream media is under political pressure - all over the world? Bet he didn't get the memo....
  • laksjdf 2010/07/08 02:19:12
    laksjdf
    the internet is completely over just like jack in the box sells edible food.
  • KFineThen 2010/07/08 01:26:06
    KFineThen
    If the net is obsolete, what bandwagon is he planning on hopping on next? Sounds like someone that's internet challenged, he doesn't know how to make it work for him. You would think a good publicist would steer him straight.
  • Blasphameer 2010/07/08 00:57:01
    Blasphameer
    +1
    He can control his music as much as he wants. Because God knows I sure as hell don't want it.
  • carmen58 2010/07/07 23:06:55
    carmen58
    We'll see what happens.
  • AngryGabby 2010/07/07 21:34:10
    AngryGabby
    +2
    Since the internet, sales in music have went up. Not too many people use portable CD players anymore, this is the year of the iPod. Why can't he just go with it?

Is it just me or does he look like a girl?
  • Deb AngryGabby 2010/07/09 12:04:12
    Deb
    Bwaha!! I thought the same thing about him looking kinda like a girl
  • AngryGabby Deb 2010/07/09 13:03:06
    AngryGabby
    +1
    Oh good, I'm not the only one!

2014/11/24 23:32:26