Pittsburgh Steelers releasing Hines Ward. Good move?

Daryl 2012/02/11 22:01:05
Yes, the Pittsburgh Steelers should release Hines Ward
No, the Pittsburgh Steelers should not release Hines Ward
The Pittsburgh Steels are releasing wide receiver Hines Ward.

"Ward posted on his Facebook page Saturday that he's already told the Steelers he's willing to work with them on altering his deal so he can remain with the team. Ward's comments came after NFL.com reported the Steelers are planning to cut the franchise's all-time leading receiver.

"I don't normally like to respond to rumors, but as I've said all along, I want to finish my career with the Pittsburgh Steelers," Ward posted."

"Ward, who turns 36 next month, lost his starting job for next season and would return as the No. 4 or No. 5 wide receiver on the Steelers.
Pittsburgh is set on going with younger and faster receivers. The Steelers' top three wide receivers -- Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders -- all averaged over 13 yards per catch. Ward, who ranked fourth on the team with 46 receptions, averaged 8.3 yards per catch.

Read More: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/53743/...

• ScoutLdr 2012/03/12 16:20:47
    ScoutLdr
    Ward would be a bench warmer for most of season, fourth or fifth string. The Steelers need to develop the other wide receivers on the team.
  • Aksana 2012/02/13 13:53:24
    Aksana
    Why not?
    +2
    Not so sure that's their best move hines ward
  • Callaway 2012/02/12 15:05:21
    Callaway
    +3
    From what I've seen in the news there will be a whole lot of guys in the same situation it all has to do with the new agreement and time in the league stir in salary cap space limitations some of them have almost played too well to be affordable. Unless there is a mega stars on the team willing to restructure their deals this could be just the start lot of well known guys will be switching teams or retiring. Welcome to the wonderful NFL world of Commissioner Goodbars parody ball where repeat Champions are a thing of the past and the Vinnie will be passed around like a bowling trophy to all the owners.
  • Combat Trucker USAF 2012/02/12 12:26:39
    Combat Trucker USAF
    +4
    He has missed a few catches but you never get rid of your work horse.
  • Arjuna Combat ... 2012/02/12 15:33:40
    Arjuna
    +1
    I am inclined to agree but as others have pointed out, aging work horses are rather regularly put out to pasture by their teams regardless of their contributions. I think most stars should make this call and hang up their cleats without being forced to do so.
  • Combat ... Arjuna 2012/02/12 16:21:07
    Combat Trucker USAF
    +2
    I think he has at least three more good years. You have to remember he is a leader on and off the field sometimes that leadership is worth the money.
  • Arjuna Combat ... 2012/02/13 19:23:19
    Arjuna
    Rob I agree. I just don't see the powers that be agreeing unfortunately.
  • TD 2012/02/12 11:28:40
    TD
    +4
    He's done......
  • sczen8 2012/02/12 06:42:57
    sczen8
    +4
    good move only for other teams...lol
  • gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F 2012/02/12 06:40:56
    gldynmd BTO-t-BCRA-F
  • Pilot337 2012/02/12 05:08:45
    Pilot337
    +2
    Bad move. He brings experience and heart.
  • westernslope~PWCM~JLA 2012/02/12 03:14:17
    westernslope~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    that's a surprise
  • D.C. Willis 2012/02/12 00:06:22
    D.C. Willis
    +2
    Say it isn't sooooo!
  • Cunningmungus 2012/02/11 23:24:25
    Cunningmungus
    +1
    Oh he will cry a river of tears that will flood the allegheny...

hines ward crying river tears flood allegheny hines ward crying gif
  • pizzaman7 2012/02/11 23:18:03
    pizzaman7
    +4
    It is very tough to release a veteran that has done so much for your organization especially the ones who works so hard, is classy, and is a good leader and example in the locker room for the younger guys. He is a breath of fresh air both on and off the field.

With that said, however, he is 36 years old. he would be at best the 4th receiver on the squad. you need to develop younger guys and all players get better as they play. more than likely he will sign a one day contract on the day he decides to retire and still end his career as a Steeler. He might play another year or two on another team. he might be semi-productive on another team.

I went through the release of Brett Favre. Some of my friends and I were ready for Aaron Rodgers while others were so angry. I liked what I saw in Rodgers. There were a lot of shouting matches. Brett could no longer handle the cold. I could see that in the NFC Championship Game in 2007. He would do some great things and towards the end of some of these play-off games would do some bone-headed things that ultimately lost us crucial games (just what the Vikings fans saw the very next year !). His gun-slinging was both a blessing but a curse. Rodgers has really worked out for us ! As much as I loved Favre I might like Rodgers be...

I went through the release of Brett Favre. Some of my friends and I were ready for Aaron Rodgers while others were so angry. I liked what I saw in Rodgers. There were a lot of shouting matches. Brett could no longer handle the cold. I could see that in the NFC Championship Game in 2007. He would do some great things and towards the end of some of these play-off games would do some bone-headed things that ultimately lost us crucial games (just what the Vikings fans saw the very next year !). His gun-slinging was both a blessing but a curse. Rodgers has really worked out for us ! As much as I loved Favre I might like Rodgers better when all is said and done !

Donald Driver is also getting older. the rumor mill is out for him too. he is another classy guy you would hate to see go but eventually it happens to all the great ones. if the goal is to see your team hang on too long to someone then that's fine. if your goal is to see your team win the Superbowl they have to remain competitive. it isn't easy to win in the NFL ! it is a merciless business !
  • Arjuna pizzaman7 2012/02/12 15:35:35
    Arjuna
    +1
    Thoughtful and realistic :) I agree completely.
  • modernminuteman 2012/02/11 22:53:43
    modernminuteman
    +1
    he is willing to stay for little money and is a great player who does a lot of things other than catching the ball that is valuable to his team. he is a great leader and blocker which is no small thing and he still can catch the ball in a pinch. he would be a good teacher to young receivers as well i believe.
  • jc 2012/02/11 22:46:45
    jc
    +3
    After all he has done for the Steelers,they should work it out so he can retire in Pittsburgh.
  • Arjuna jc 2012/02/12 15:36:02
    Arjuna
    +2
    Correct. I just wish Ward made the call first.
    +2
    Hines Ward is the heart and soul of the Steelers. That being said, he cannot play at the same high level forever. His production definately dropped off this sason and there will come a time when both he and the Steelers nust move on. I just hope it can be done with dignity for all involved. He needs to be respected and the needs of the Steelers future must be considered by Ward. Knowing the team and Hines, they will come to some amiable agreement. Hines is a first ballot Hall of Famer. He is "Black and Gold" through and through and should retire as one!
  • Arjuna Andrew 2012/02/12 15:43:02
    Arjuna
    +2
    Correct. It would be sacrilegious for him to go to another team. When Favre did that, he lost more than the respect of his packer fans and teammates, he lost his honor. I just hope that Ward is given the most honorable exit possible and that he doesn't spit in his own face by going to another team.
  • carlton999 2012/02/11 22:33:52
    carlton999
    +2
    this man is the face of the franchise......unbelievable. but thats the way things work in the NFL.
  • EliteAmongOutcasts 2012/02/11 22:31:52
  • Amy.[: 2012/02/11 22:28:40
    Amy.[:
    +2
    I don't know honestly xD
  • Freeranger 2012/02/11 22:28:17 (edited)
    Freeranger
    +1
    I checked "yes" reluctantly. I'm an ardent New England Patriots fan. However, I understand that the NFL is blessed with certain players who stand out among those who rise above those in that generic pro stable, elevating the game, and Hines Ward has been one of those.

A wonderful athlete, and fierce competitor......if he goes, I'll miss him.
  • clasact 2012/02/11 22:17:26
    clasact
    +2
    he may be down to 4th or 5th place on the depth chart and only avg 8.3 but thos were critical yards.He has been and would still be the most dependable player on that team,he is also the face of that team,I see it as a bad move all the way around
  • darlene 2012/02/11 22:16:52
    darlene
    +4
    I'm an avid Steeler fan and I live about fifteen miles South of Pittsburgh. I think Hines is the best, but there comes a time when good business sense wins and Hines loses out. It's all about the money! goodbye hines ward
  • Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO 2012/02/11 22:13:00
    Joe Shwingding BN-ZERO
    +4
    he'll be retiring soon.
  • No, the Pittsburgh Steelers should not release Hines Ward
    Gยเtคг Plคאєг ( JFK Democrat )
    +2
    Hell no, he should retire a Steeler, just like Manning should retire a Colt. I thought it was wrong for the Niners to release Montana. Some players you do not release
  • Diamond Girl 2012/02/11 22:10:33
  • American Mercenary 2012/02/11 22:07:03
    American Mercenary
    +3
    he doesn't do much.
  • Arinn 2012/02/11 22:03:09
    Arinn
    +2
    No I don't think they should.
  • Daryl 2012/02/11 22:01:56
    Daryl
    +1
    I would to see Hines Ward stay with the Steelers.

hines ward

2014/10/25 04:30:45