PETA Plans a 'Hobbit' Protest: Will You Boycott the Film?

Film 2012/11/19 20:00:00
Reports out of New Zealand say that 27 animals have died during the making of the upcoming, highly anticipated holiday film "The Hobbit." While the American Humane Association closely monitored all two- and four-legged creatures on the set during filming, they were not responsible for overseeing the living conditions of the animals offset. Animal wranglers closely associated with the trilogy claim that off-site facilities were filled with "death traps" like sink holes and broken fences.

Director Peter Jackson denies any purposeful wrongdoing, and called in the AHA when claims were first filed in August 2011. The production admits there were some instances that could have been avoided but took measures to ensure no further animal fatalities.

But PETA isn't satisfied. In a letter to Jackson they questioned why a movie so heavy on visual effects had to use any live animals on set at all and promised to protest numerous premieres worldwide in the coming weeks. PETA’s Senior Vice President Lisa Lange told E! News, "But this production's decision to use numerous live animals and allow them to suffer needlessly and die takes the entertainment industry a giant and disgraceful step backward." What do you say? Will you boycott "The Hobbit" over its treatment of animals?

• Sid 2014/10/13 06:31:21 (edited)
    Sid
    Love PETA! They use the facts and people can't handle it. They do great work exposing scumbag animal abusers!
  • John Smith 2014/01/09 02:14:25
    John Smith
    I loved the Hobbit ever since I was a child. Also PETA is INSANE and I am a liberal.
  • MissLeviathan 2013/01/07 00:00:02
    MissLeviathan
    +1
    I'm sick of PETA's misinformed, self-righteous, ill-advised campaigns. They use tasteless imagery and language which is sexist, racist and explicit in nature. They resort to scare-mongering, immature shock tactics and will even target children with their stupid propaganda. With the Hobbit being one of the biggest events of 2012, it's really no surprise that they targeted it, and as usual, they are making unreliable claims from uncited sources e.g. some dude who got fired over a year ago. For anyone who thinks this is just some sweet, well-intended animal charity, here is some lists of their most outrageous and offensive stunts and campaigns:

http://www.bilerico.com/2010/... - you can't see the pictures on them, but if you read the captions, you get the idea.

http://www.wrongplanet.net/po...

http://www.businessinsider.co...
  • jere.chievres 2012/12/21 18:37:30 (edited)
    jere.chievres
    It is too silly for me to watch!
  • Rob Clary 2012/12/17 12:48:12
    Rob Clary
    +1
    All animals die eventually.
    Nobody important cares...
  • ★misfit★ 2012/12/17 05:04:17 (edited)
    ★misfit★
    +2
    Like anyone with a conscious, I want to see animals treated well on movie sets. However, it makes no sense to boycott a film because 27 animals MIGHT have died during the making of it (with no intentional killing or abuse involved). Animals sometimes just die with no fault of humans. They have shorter lifespans than we do and a tendency to get eaten by other animals.
    Frankly, PETA is crazy and hypocritical, and I wouldn't trust anything they said.
  • Mikewlf337 2012/12/07 00:38:27 (edited)
    Mikewlf337
    +1
    They are a bunch nutjobs.
  • Dave 007 2012/12/02 16:12:34
    Dave 007
    +2
    I won't boycott it! But I'm not planning on seeing it.
  • Gemma 2012/12/02 12:47:13
    Gemma
    I can see the majority of people voting and commenting are cold, callous and find the death of 27 scared, suffering animals amusing a chance to make witty comments about PETA. I have been looking forward to watching this films for months, and this has completely ruined it for me, There's no way I could go see it now, knowing the negligence and suffering it involved. If 27 children died during the filming, I think people wouldn't be quite so blase and flippant about it. So why is it any different that it was animals that lost their lives? i loathe the arrogance of human beings.
  • jere.ch... Gemma 2012/12/21 18:42:10
    jere.chievres
    I loathe the arrogance of Brits. I don't agree with animal abuse either.
  • MissLev... jere.ch... 2013/01/06 23:29:39
    MissLeviathan
    +1
    I am a Brit. I'm also an ethical vegetarian. I love animals, but I don't believe in pressure/extremist/hate groups, which is what PETA is. They demean women, target children, resort to comparing meat consumption to the Holocaust and among other things, they still manage to give people the wrong advice about caring for animals.
  • jere.ch... MissLev... 2013/01/07 03:32:03
    jere.chievres
    You are a rare one with common sense.
  • MissLev... jere.ch... 2013/01/07 14:17:53
    MissLeviathan
    +1
    Being engaged to an American, I try not to judge, but usually find it is Canadians and Brits who have the most common sense. And I do not like animal cruelty, but I also do not like PETA.
  • MissLev... Gemma 2013/01/06 23:25:37 (edited)
    MissLeviathan
    +1
    Where is your proof that all these animals died? PETA is not telling you some things...that they slaughter like over 80 percent of animals in their care? That they would happily try to close down a cancer research facility to save some mice, undoubtedly euthanizing the mice afterwards? Funny how the guy starting spreading s**t about the film crew after he got FIRED. Get your facts straight. And btw, have you ever watch the extended edition of LOTR? The horses are cared for spectacularly, and all the actors, wranglers and film crew alike treat them with much respect and love.
  • Small man big mouth 2012/12/02 02:35:05
    Small man big mouth
    +1
    I dont approve of turning a blind eye to an opportunity to prevent needless death, but because i LOATHE peta so much no boycott for me!!
  • kitsunejewel 2012/11/25 02:21:48
    kitsunejewel
    +1
    I dont believe it -___- sounds like a bunch of bull Peta came up with! Peta is just a crazy propaganda
  • JOHN C 2012/11/24 16:57:38
    JOHN C
    +1
    i love jrr tolkien........i can hardly wait for this movie
  • WeasleyGirl 2012/11/24 16:31:36
    WeasleyGirl
    I've been waiting for this movie for years!
  • Sweet-N-Sour 2012/11/24 15:56:41
    Sweet-N-Sour
    +1
    So tired of crybabies.
  • Michaelene 2012/11/24 15:37:27
    Michaelene
    +2
    PETA People Eating Tasty Animals-yummy!
  • Flamingolady 2012/11/24 14:16:07
    Flamingolady
    +1
    How utterly insane.
  • abdullaali 2012/11/24 13:20:07
  • User Deactivated 2012/11/24 07:34:57
    User Deactivated
    +1
    Accidents happen.
  • Mindy 2012/11/24 07:16:03
    Mindy
    +4
    I say Boycott PETA.
  • Navin J... Mindy 2012/11/27 13:28:53
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    +2
    already have
  • NicolineWeirdo-chanKnuth 2012/11/24 06:22:24
    NicolineWeirdo-chanKnuth
    +2
    While it's not good to hear animals have died in the making of the film (though I really would like to see some sources for these claims), it would not stop me from watching a good movie. Especially not since this is PETA we're talking about. :P
  • Theodon 2012/11/24 06:21:18
  • Quazimoto 2012/11/24 03:55:03
    Quazimoto
    +2
    I hope "The Hobbit" film sales go through, the roof the same as they did for Chick-fil-A.
  • Nichole 2012/11/24 03:43:21
    Nichole
    +1
    It happens. A director has so many things going on that he probably didn't even think about it.
  • CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY 2012/11/24 03:04:26
    CUDDLY BUT STILL CRABBY
    +3
    PETA can kiss my ass, with or without being a Hobbit fan.
  • Frank 2012/11/24 00:33:02
    Frank
    +2
    Who is PETA, who are they, where do they reside, do they take donations, what makes them the law????
  • Don Hues Frank 2012/11/24 02:45:06
    Don Hues
    +2
    Angry corpse eating zombies. Like books? Try "Milk the Deadly Poison" by Robert Cohen. Like movies? Try "Earthlings", narrated by Joaquin Phoenix, sound track by Moby. I dare you.
  • annadaniarndt 2012/11/23 22:24:26
    annadaniarndt
    +1
    Hahahaa. What the hell? Go PETA, I guess, for going to all this work to seek out every single instance in which animals are being mistreated, ever, but that's way too much work for me, and that's why I gave up being vegetarian after three months. Giving up meat is easy enough, but once you get into reading the labels on shampoo and deodorant, and boycotting freaking MOVIES... honestly, what you're doing is dedicating your life to stopping something that's never gonna stop anyway, lol. What's the point?
  • chaoskitty123 2012/11/23 18:11:52
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    Quote
    End Quote

This from an organization which releases animals from research facilities and shelters only to kill 95% of all the animals they take in and completely ignoring protests and demonstrations trying to get them to adopt a no kill policy or at least reduce the deaths they cause.

PETA is now being compared to the Nazi's who also believed in animal rights and were staunch environmentalists whose laws are today copied almost word for word by animal rights groups and environmentalists. It's only with the efforts of people who want to save animals and not just to exploit them to put wealth in their bank accounts (like PETA) that we are seeing organizations like PAWS creating "no kill" policies and they are nowhere near as well known as PETA because ...

Quote
    End Quote

PETA is now being compared to the Nazi's who also believed in animal rights and were staunch environmentalists whose laws are today copied almost word for word by animal rights groups and environmentalists. It's only with the efforts of people who want to save animals and not just to exploit them to put wealth in their bank accounts (like PETA) that we are seeing organizations like PAWS creating "no kill" policies and they are nowhere near as well known as PETA because what PAWS does works and people too invested in PETA will not shift allegiance much as most Germans did not switch away from Hitler when they found out what he was and didn't like it.

PETA is a disgrace and like so many of these movements, once they became political, they became lost and began working against the better interests of their supporters.

Look at the unions, civil rights, womens rights, gay rights and so forth... all were at one time legit and fought for the rights of those they represent. But somewhere along the line... it went from represent to "claim" to represent. Unions claim to represent all US workers and yet, their support for leftwing politicians cost them their right wing support and today unions are largely insignificant. Civil rights is so lost that the biggest organization representing it is the Southern Poverty Law Center which steals away the most resources, operates like an old Southern slave plantation, spends very little of the money it takes in and has only hired one black employee very briefly... let alone how the legit civil rights groups do nothing but blame and condemn exploiting their peoples problems and keeping them where they are so these groups have issues to represent as otherwise, they are one trick ponies who go out of business if they were actually successful at what they do. Then you have the feminists who claim to represent womens rights to a point they're attacking three year old boys for sexual harassment and have so alienated most women that most womens rights groups have closed and where women might want to join a womens rights group... they don't have a clue where any are to join because most women are as appalled by the feminists as men are. Then you have gay rights leaders fighting for the right to marry and their heterosexual supporters saying they support gay marriage to shut gays up about it when most gays are fighting like everyone else just to survive and their common problems with heterosexuals are now their main issue... yet all their leaders focus on is gay marriage which does you a hell of a lot of good if the economy collapses or you lose your job so that you can't even afford to be married or you have so many problems your marriage is doomed to failure anyhow.

PETA needs investigated for what it actually does with those tens of millions of dollars as you never see them spending any of it. Even this protest, they're encouraging the masses to go protest but they aren't using that money to actually invest in the fight.

Then, look at this situation. Peter Jackson and the producers of the Hobbit are only responsible for the animals on set... and where was PETA demonstrating and protesting during the filming of the movie when they readily admit they knew these animal incidents were happening? You don't demonstrate after the incidents happen when it's too late to do anything unless you're just trying to exploit it for ulterior reasons... you protest before or during the ongoing situation trying to stop the deaths and injuries which PETA did not do except maybe a few statements about it when they should have been calling on and paying for feet on the ground to demonstrate during the filming of this movie.

And let's face facts, when under the best of circumstances your human actors are injured or killed, then it's to be expected that animals can be injured or killed.

But look at Lisa Lange's comment that Jackson didn't have to use real animals in the movie at all... how damn out of touch can you be as what is she thinking, use animation to create the animals? Yes, that's actually what she is saying which only shows what's wrong with PETA as Langes mind is in serious need of a reality check.

Animals die every day. They can die horribly and in agony... or they can die quietly and with dignity. The set of the Hobbit was carefully created at great cost, the surrounding area was a natural terrain where you can step in a hole or trip over a sharp rock breaking your leg... it was the real world that resulted in these animals being injured and killed which "animal wranglers" try to avoid because they spend a tremendous amount of time training these animals and when one dies, you can't just go grab another and they aren't compensated when an animal dies so it's lost income for them to have animals die... even if they were just extra's, it's the wrangler who has to provide these animals at their own cost because it comes from the money allocated by the studios to pay them.

PETA has no conscience, no integrity and little intellect. Anyone who supports them is mentally deficient or maybe even mentally ill as you would have to be in order to support these animal killing fascists whose only real care about the animals that died or were killed filming the Hobbit is it's good publicity to get millions of dollars in additional donations to put money in their bank accounts.

Their own policy is to kill over 95% of the animals they take in and the very people they whip into a frenzy to protest against the Hobbit are the very people who have been protesting PETA trying to get them to change their own killing ways and to stop the Nazi concentration camp mentality they employ with the animals taken into their own care.
  • Derbyhat 2012/11/23 17:50:20
    Derbyhat
    +2
    PETA storm troopers have spent 32 years hating people for a million years of human-animal behavior. While we want no more animals to become extinct, the PETA animal is an exception!
  • chaoski... Derbyhat 2012/11/23 18:14:24
    chaoskitty123
    +2
    And they kill 95% of the animals they take into their own facilities refusing to stop even when their own supporters protest and demonstrate against PETA. they chose this issue to get publicity and donations as they could have done this during the shooting if they really cared and could have saved the animals they claim were killed... it's all about the money like a crooked preacher with solid gold bathrooms and banks accounts large enough to rule a small nation.
  • Chika Aimi 2012/11/23 16:59:38
    Chika Aimi
    +1
    ok...............
    i live in New Zealand haven't heard anything about this PETA thing
    you think it would have come up in the paper or MSN -_-
  • chaoski... Chika Aimi 2012/11/23 18:22:59
    chaoskitty123
    +1
    PETA is insane Chika. They protest against the deaths of these animals for publicity while killing 95% of the animals they take in to their own facilities. You didn't hear anything because PETA knew about the deaths of these animals during filming and did nothing to stop it because that's not how they work. They waited until the movie was done to attack because it's all about making money for them... money they spend very little of because it goes mostly into their bank accounts. Their own supporters have been demonstrating against them to stop their kill policy with animals they take in. In fact, most of the animals they "rescue" from research facilities and other shelters are euthanized and often within only a few days with no effort at all to find these animals loving homes or to find out if anything is wrong with them as most are fit and healthy... and why rescue them from a "no kill" facility or a shelter with a less than 50% kill rate where PETA itself is 95% kill?

You live in New Zealand and I bet you can tell PETA what kind of geography much of the nation is comprised of as I bet none of these people know anything about New Zealand and probably can't find it on a map if you put a flashing led light on it. I have friends in New Zealand who have told me that in some place...

You live in New Zealand and I bet you can tell PETA what kind of geography much of the nation is comprised of as I bet none of these people know anything about New Zealand and probably can't find it on a map if you put a flashing led light on it. I have friends in New Zealand who have told me that in some places, the terrain is very dangerous and you can easily have a lot of injuries if you bring a lot of people into these areas let alone animals. So it's actually quite common to have such injuries happen and these animal wranglers have a lot of money and time in training these animals so they aren't going to easily let them get injured as the studio pays them, in part, for the cost of the animals should they be killed so if the animal dies it comes out of the wranglers pocket... not the studio or producers.
  • Chika Aimi chaoski... 2012/11/24 08:08:35
    Chika Aimi
    +1
    lol i just went on there website to see what they say about us http://www.peta.org/b/thepeta...
    funny how no one really says anything about New Zealand Banning Live Exports yet a couple of animals get hurt on a single movie an it blows up ,im pretty sure it happens on other movie sites why single out one movie ,they could have done the report thing on the treatment of animals in the entertainment industry.

we have a organisation called SPCA were there slogan is (Speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves. Our mission is to advance the welfare of all animals in NZ.)
    they actually help animals there a non-profit organization who mainly have volunteers ,hell my 8 year old brother goes with his P.E. class to walk them
  • flrdsgns 2012/11/23 16:36:15
    flrdsgns
    +2
    PETA seems to just be out of control. They are way over the top on everything they do

2014/11/21 17:59:28